• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Project: Galaxy 5.0

Ive only ever had 1 drive die on me, i knew it was coming for ages but i was just too lazy to do anything about it.
 
Lets just hope ockies drives dont just all die at once

Mechanical malfunction isn't what kills you in raid situations - its other factors like temperamental connectors on the SAS end of a SAS <-> SATA connector cable like the ones that come with the Areca 1280ML. After hours of troubleshooting wondering why my drives 16-20 weren't being seen (and my f*cking array failing), including changing cables and junk, I realized that if the damn cable is plugged in "too snug" on the controller side, somehow contact isn't being made. I actually had to pull the connector out a tiny bit - crap like that makes me real nervous. Long story short, after my array of 4tb worth of data that had been copied from individual drives failed, I spent the last 2 days doing data recovery to get me back to square one. UGH.
 
You know, I'm curious what kind of performance different replacing the stock 256MB memory module on an Areca controller with a 2Gb module does. I assume its mostly going to just boost read/write performance of frequently accessed files or data (aka "hotspots") rather than boosting sequential read/write throughput/performance - anyone know?
 
I think it would depend on the number of disks and the size of the file being accessed.
 
Did u get your case yet?

Tomorrow, fedex refused to let me pickup the package and they refused to drop it off without a signature. :mad: I should have had it shipped to work. Oh well, lessons learned.. time to introduce myself to the fedex guy, because he's about to make many duplicate trips :D
 
Tomorrow, fedex refused to let me pickup the package and they refused to drop it off without a signature. :mad: I should have had it shipped to work. Oh well, lessons learned.. time to introduce myself to the fedex guy, because he's about to make many duplicate trips :D
lol... by the time your server is setup, he's gonna know as much about servers as you :p
 
At the very least know how heavy one is..lol.

you aren't kidding - the box with rails is somewhere around 75 lbs. , then once you load up 24 drives, motherboard, 16 memory modules and everything else, you're over 100. "Back straight" when you lift there, buddy.
 
you aren't kidding - the box with rails is somewhere around 75 lbs. , then once you load up 24 drives, motherboard, 16 memory modules and everything else, you're over 100. "Back straight" when you lift there, buddy.
F that..I tried lifting a backup server (20 drive 5U) once....ONCE....from then on, I waited until someone else was around.
 
I had to lift a fully loaded poweredge up a big ladder, wasnt fun :(
 
Bloody hell 48 degrees? I dont like my disks over 30!

I was running a maxtor diamond max plus 8 40gb and 2 WD Caviar 80gb's at 50-60 degrees celcius for a week and the solder points on the bottom of one changed all different colors. And each drive had a about a 2-4mm gap between them, and i had no fans blowing on them. They are all still fine. But once i found out the temps i quickly added a fan.
 
I have my card set up to send me text messages if something ever goes wrong. Was not fun being woken up early in the morning as I had left the side of the case off and the sun was temporarily shining directly onto the drives. Neat feature though. Only need to get an IPMI card for my Tyan board so that I can shut down the server from my phone if it starts overheating and I'm not home.
 
I have my card set up to send me text messages if something ever goes wrong. Was not fun being woken up early in the morning as I had left the side of the case off and the sun was temporarily shining directly onto the drives. Neat feature though. Only need to get an IPMI card for my Tyan board so that I can shut down the server from my phone if it starts overheating and I'm not home.

What card is this Blue Fox? ;)
 
What card is this Blue Fox? ;)
Areca 1130ML...half the ports of the 1280ML (and also PCI-X). All the cards that have 12 ports or more support out-of-band management, so once you find out your phone's email to SMS gateway, it's pretty simple to get the card to send you text messages.
 
Areca 1130ML...half the ports of the 1280ML (and also PCI-X). All the cards that have 12 ports or more support out-of-band management, so once you find out your phone's email to SMS gateway, it's pretty simple to get the card to send you text messages.

Yep, thats what I want to do with the 1280 :)
 
Areca 1130ML...half the ports of the 1280ML (and also PCI-X). All the cards that have 12 ports or more support out-of-band management, so once you find out your phone's email to SMS gateway, it's pretty simple to get the card to send you text messages.

Nice card, but too expensive over here. Its more like $1100..
 
Nice card, but too expensive over here. Its more like $1100..

I only paid $315...eBay rocks! :D Would have been a lot harder justifying spending $700 on it (that's what I last saw it for on newegg). The cables are another $100 on top of that.
 
I only paid $315...eBay rocks! :D Would have been a lot harder justifying spending $700 on it (that's what I last saw it for on newegg). The cables are another $100 on top of that.

315, thats the price of a low end rocketraid :eek:. Does it use multiband cables (guess)?
 
Thats a really neat build you have there. What do you use the array for?
 
Thats a really neat build you have there. What do you use the array for?

Mainly media storage. HDTV adds up, as do high resolution slide scans for example (some of those reach nearly 100mb a piece). Also back up data from some of the desktops onto it.
 
I just use my box for streaming flacs and divx so speed isnt all that important.
 
Update: So I started the build lastnight, took tons of pictures of the entire process and everything... then as I was completing the build so far, I dropped the camera on the floor (bumped off the table)... to say the least, the POS CD camera corrupted the disk, so now I am unable to recover the pics. :mad::mad: So to say the least, no log pictures, I will just have to show you guys the end result pictures which I will take later tonight. I am done with this POS camera, never in my life will I buy a CD/DVD/optical disk based camera system again, this isn't the first time... some bumps can corrupt the disk too, especially while it's writing.


Anyways, now for the positive side. The case and motherboard was made for eachother, never had I ever had such a pleassure building a machine before, everything fits like a glove. The PSU signaling cables fit the motherboard perfectly (motherboard had built in headers), the case LED's and front panel buttons fits the board without the use of pin cables... meaning just one nice ribbon connection. Everything fits the way it's supposed to. I keep amazing myself with supermicro products, but this one put the cherry on top. Incredible buy for the features and price... hell, the thing even includes a full rail kit AND they protect wrap the metal parts of the case for added protection (not to mention double boxing the case).


This is one amazing setup and I think it's going to blow all prior galaxies way out of the water, no doubt about it. Solid, clean, organized, and professional.
 
Sick. I cant wait to see the end result.

Just thought I'd mention that I started my at my new job and I have access to the server/network environments.... Their NetApp racks blew me off my feet. I've never seen so many disks in my life. Apparently they're about to break a petabyte
 
God this sucks, I was soo looking forward to pictures!! Need to go flash memory there Ockie!!!

That said, I cannot wait for the final pictures.... :cool:
 
you aren't kidding - the box with rails is somewhere around 75 lbs. , then once you load up 24 drives, motherboard, 16 memory modules and everything else, you're over 100. "Back straight" when you lift there, buddy.

Hey odditory, why do you not start your own thread, I would be more then interested in your first hand views on the 1280ML, since I am about to buy one tomorrow!!!
 
Sorry about your digicam (I also recommend a flash-based digicam), Ockie, but glad to see that your Galaxy exp. is going so well. :cool:
 
Back
Top