• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Project: Galaxy 5.0

Hey odditory, why do you not start your own thread, I would be more then interested in your first hand views on the 1280ML, since I am about to buy one tomorrow!!!

Start my own thread? nah, multiple threads might decrease overall interest in these projects. I think the 1280ML is great, though mainly because I wanted it for the headroom to grow an array beyond 16 drives. For a 24-port controller there's no comparison, but for one or more 16-port controllers, there's more competition: as happy as I am with the Areca, my "gut feeling" still feels a little safer with something like an Adaptec 31605. Time will tell though, and if this Areca doesn't screw up my array for a second time in a week (granted, my fault due to a cabling issue but it meant losing the array whereas with an Adaptec I could've forced drives back online and wouldn't have lost the array), then maybe I could recommend an Areca 16-port over an Adaptec.
 
Start my own thread? nah, multiple threads might decrease overall interest in these projects. I think the 1280ML is great, though mainly because I wanted it for the headroom to grow an array beyond 16 drives. For a 24-port controller there's no comparison, but for one or more 16-port controllers, there's more competition: as happy as I am with the Areca, my "gut feeling" still feels a little safer with something like an Adaptec 31605. Time will tell though, and if this Areca doesn't screw up my array for a second time in a week (granted, my fault due to a cabling issue but it meant losing the array whereas with an Adaptec I could've forced drives back online and wouldn't have lost the array), then maybe I could recommend an Areca 16-port over an Adaptec.

I am afraid that the 1280ML is out of stock again at Newegg, I will have to do some looking, but not a good sign!! I am going to research the Adaptec 31605... Do you or anybody else have a review or benchmark of this card/s???
 
<snip>to say the least, the POS CD camera corrupted the disk, so now I am unable to recover the pics. :mad::mad: So to say the least, no log pictures, I will just have to show you guys the end result pictures which I will take later tonight. I am done with this POS camera, never in my life will I buy a CD/DVD/optical disk based camera system again, this isn't the first time... some bumps can corrupt the disk too, especially while it's writing.

That sucks about the camera; perhaps my pics can serve as a backup source for your lost log pictures, since we used the same parts. People need to get a sense of this gorgeous case and what it looked like during the build! "It's all about the fan shroud!"

Click this link for an album of build pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/odditory/Centro10

testjo3.jpg
 
Fantastic case! I just LOVE the fan shroud. Couple of questions:

1. How's the noise levels on this system?

2. I can't tell from the pics if the cabling that runs to the backplane of the drive array in interfering with the airflow or not. Are they actually below the airflow or in the way?

3. Does this sort of disk array have the ability to "sleep" the disks (power down) after a certain amount of inactivity? I'm guessing that they don't but I thought I'd ask.

Awesome... Just awesome.
 
1. How's the noise levels on this system?

An effing jet engine. Basically about same noise level as a HP/Compaq DL series server. Fortunately mine is tucked away in the garage. I'm tempted to open the power supplies and mod the fans so they spin slower though.

2. I can't tell from the pics if the cabling that runs to the backplane of the drive array in interfering with the airflow or not. Are they actually below the airflow or in the way?

There are airflow pass-thru holes throughout the backplane, above and in between all the drives, so cables are no obstruction at all. Even if the cables weren't zip tied tightly together into little bundles and I'd left everything a mess, it wouldn't matter because those three fans are so powerful. When I put my hand on the front of the case, the pull of the air is totally even and very strong, more so than any HP/Compaq or Dell servers I've put together at work. The drives all hover around 29C temp.

3. Does this sort of disk array have the ability to "sleep" the disks (power down) after a certain amount of inactivity? I'm guessing that they don't but I thought I'd ask.

Yes. One of the compelling reasons I bought this expensive an array controller to replace a pair of 16-port Adaptecs was for array spindown. Areca calls it "MAID", dunno what the acronym stands for, but the option is in the controller menu, disabled by default. I will enable it once testing phase is over.
 
Ockie, you can always take the system apart, get a new digicam, and then take pics for each stage. ;)
 
Ockie, you can always take the system apart, get a new digicam, and then take pics for each stage. ;)

Yes. D200 here I come. I'm so tired of lackluster crappy cameras.... but I've always been to cheap to upgrade. :p I was thinking of "re-building" it for the pics but thats just too much work.

Just show us pics of it done and the top removed.


I will have free time this afternoon, time for me to get another disk to start taking new pics.



Update:
Just ordered the slim slot load DVDRW & IDE adapter. Still am having a hard time finding anyone who has 16 sticks of FB-DIMM in stock at a good price and still having a hard time finding those xeons (I should have jumped on them a while ago).
 
"Looking" good, (that said without actually seeing it;)

And concerning your earlier post, I would go with SAS drives over Raptors any day, most of 10k drives are faster then Raptors and they are more of an enterprise drive solution..... I benched some cheap 36GB 10k 3.5" SAS drives back 6 months ago, and they were getting almost 100MB/s per drive, let alone in any kind of raid array....
 
"Looking" good, (that said without actually seeing it;)

And concerning your earlier post, I would go with SAS drives over Raptors any day, most of 10k drives are faster then Raptors and they are more of an enterprise drive solution..... I benched some cheap 36GB 10k 3.5" SAS drives back 6 months ago, and they were getting almost 100MB/s per drive, let alone in any kind of raid array....

I'm looking at 4 x 15k 2.5" 73.4GB Savvio drives right now for the main system drive. I'm just waiting to get home because I am thinking of stuffing a 4 drive hot swap inside the case. If I can fit it... I am going to be one happy camper. I already have the drives, controller, and swap unit picked out.


I am thinking, either Raid 5, Raid 0 (big eek, not sure), Raid 10.

This thing is going to be on fire.
 
[...]I'm just waiting to get home because I am thinking of stuffing a 4 drive hot swap inside the case. [...]If I can fit it... I am going to be one happy camper. [...] I am thinking, either Raid 5, Raid 0 (big eek, not sure), Raid 10.

This thing is going to be on fire.

Lol, that is freaking insane. Looking at Odditory's pics, you might have enough room. There is definitelly enough room for two 2-HDD cases or one 3-HDD case. But what will yo do to get good airflow to your drives?

I am looking forward to your pics!!
 
Lol, that is freaking insane. Looking at Odditory's pics, you might have enough room. There is definitelly enough room for two 2-HDD cases or one 3-HDD case. But what will yo do to get good airflow to your drives?

I am looking forward to your pics!!

Well the case can accomodate 2 x 3.5's side by side (brackets you can buy seperatley), however, I am using one of those areas for a slim DVDRW... the other area is still availible for a 3.5'.

I am thinking of using a Supermicro 4 in 1 5.25" hotswap unit (size of a optical drive), that holds 4 sas drives and have internal cooling.. so it will only take up a little bit more space than a 3.5" drive... I just have to measure to make sure.

My idea is to modify the 3.5" bracket and mount the optical drive size hot swap unit in there, this would be sufficient for my 4 sas drives and should be decent at cooling.
 
Update:
Just ordered the slim slot load DVDRW & IDE adapter. Still am having a hard time finding anyone who has 16 sticks of FB-DIMM in stock at a good price and still having a hard time finding those xeons (I should have jumped on them a while ago).

What do you consider 'good price' on the FB-DIMMs? Newegg has Corsair and A-Data 2Gb FBDIMMs for $79 each. Either will work perfect. I ended up getting Kingston modules for not having looked around enough. Just search newegg for "2gb fbdimm" and you'll see them.

Suggestion for CPU: stop waiting for that E5405 and spend a few more $ and get the next step up, an E5410 at 2.33ghz, since its readily available - relative to the rest of the build the price diff is nothing. So you spend $600 for 2 x E5410's instead of $500 for 2 x E5405's - BFD! :)
 
Ockie - Im definately subscribing to this thread. Can't wait for you to get your new camera and get some pics for us.

That sucks about the camera; perhaps my pics can serve as a backup source for your lost log pictures, since we used the same parts. People need to get a sense of this gorgeous case and what it looked like during the build! "It's all about the fan shroud!"

Click this link for an album of build pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/odditory/Centro10

testjo3.jpg

Nice thread jack ;) I love the case and setup you have there. That is awesome!
 
Ockie - Im definately subscribing to this thread. Can't wait for you to get your new camera and get some pics for us.

Nice thread jack ;) I love the case and setup you have there. That is awesome!

Not my thread - Ockie started this thread and I got inspired by his choices in hardware and came along for the ride. Only because he broke his cam did I post my build pics.
 
What do you consider 'good price' on the FB-DIMMs? Newegg has Corsair and A-Data 2Gb FBDIMMs for $79 each. Either will work perfect. I ended up getting Kingston modules for not having looked around enough. Just search newegg for "2gb fbdimm" and you'll see them.

Suggestion for CPU: stop waiting for that E5405 and spend a few more $ and get the next step up, an E5410 at 2.33ghz, since its readily available - relative to the rest of the build the price diff is nothing. So you spend $600 for 2 x E5410's instead of $500 for 2 x E5405's - BFD! :)

Newegg had a deal for $64 the other day, I want to scream for not biting then. Also, they did (but only had 4 on hand) have some new companies memory that has been tested in that board for $39 a stick :eek::eek::eek: I didn't want to buy those and be stuck with 4 diff brand memory incase newegg doesn't restock... I'm wondering if thier posting wasn't in error for a future product... who knows.


Anyways, I'm just hoping to get a good bang for my buck since I need so many sticks, and even at $79, newegg doesn't even have this many in stock :(

EDIT: you have a PM.


Ahh shucks, looks like I am too late to overnight some memory and minicd's. Dangit. They should make it law for shipping companies to deliver on saturdays and sundays
. lol
 
They should make it law for shipping companies to deliver on saturdays and sundays
. lol

Oh shipping companies like Fedex are MORE than happy to delivery on Saturdays - I once accidentally clicked "Fedex Saturday" on a drop-down and ended up paying $125 in shipping on a $300 item that weighed less than a pound after I didn't pay attention to see how much shipping was on the order total.

Anyway go buy a decent camera, at least a Nikon D40X if not a D200, and we'll see if we can't have you back resuming the build this weekend.

Can't keep people waiting!
 
Okay so I did a little picture magic for you guys ;) Anyways, keep in mind, I drove accross town to my parents house (I know they have some of those little mini cd's) in the snow at 13mpg... just for you guys!


She comes, Supermicro of love. One MASSIVE box that weighs a ton!
dsc06338vn3.jpg


I'm so happy with Supermicro, they even double box.
dsc06339uj4.jpg


Case comes with a full set of adjustable rails. Normally these things are 120 a set, so this is a great pleasure to see... perfect for my racks I intend on installing.
dsc06340ii6.jpg


Here she is.
dsc06316kr3.jpg


dsc06317er7.jpg


dsc06318xh6.jpg


dsc06319gj8.jpg


Take note of the Slim Slot load space, Dual PSU's (1+N) redundancy, and lights out management ports.
dsc06320lo0.jpg


dsc06321sp3.jpg


dsc06322hx9.jpg


dsc06323ru6.jpg


dsc06324qe5.jpg


Notice the windtunnel with 4 high speed fans to cool the processors
dsc06325wo4.jpg


All hot swap fans. Good fans too. Great fit.
dsc06328ow1.jpg


More Hotswap fan detail
dsc06329tz4.jpg


Lots of storage.
dsc06330dn5.jpg


Great front panel features
dsc06331rm5.jpg


Quick rail mounting... awesome.
dsc06332yk0.jpg


IPMI lights out management
dsc06333vq9.jpg


Gotta love MiniSAS
dsc06334nz6.jpg


Slim slot load area
dsc06335md2.jpg


Dual 900w High Efficiency Hot swap redundant PSU's. N+1
dsc06336zf3.jpg


Hmmm... ports
dsc06337jx3.jpg





Things left to get::

16 x 2GB Sticks FB-DIMM DDR2
IPMI Mini USB cable (longer one)
HDD Tray mounting plate
More HDD's
Quad Intel PRO 1000/PT Server NIC
Adaptec SAS Controller
4 x 15k 74.3 or 146GB Savvio SAS Drives 2.5"
Supermicro SAS Minihotswap 2.5"
2GB Memory Module for 1280ML controller
256MB Memory module for SAS controller with battery backup


Things still to be installed:
Slim Slot load DVDRW
Slim drive adapter
2 x Intel Xeon Harpertown E5410's


Other things to do:
Cable management
Modding the HDD bracket to fit 4 SAS drives

This thing is going to be on fire. I can't wait for benchmarks. :eek:
 
Things left to get::

16 x 2GB Sticks FB-DIMM DDR2
IPMI Mini USB cable (longer one)
HDD Tray mounting plate
More HDD's
Quad Intel PRO 1000/PT Server NIC
Adaptec SAS Controller
4 x 15k 74.3 or 146GB Savvio SAS Drives 2.5"
Supermicro SAS Minihotswap 2.5"
2GB Memory Module for 1280ML controller
256MB Memory module for SAS controller with battery backup

:eek:Holy shit 32GB of ram.:eek: Why do u need so much?
 
Wow - Deja Vu! That case and those pics seem STRANGELY familiar. :) By the way I agree the removable fans are high quality: you know how I know? Once they're powered up, if you pull one out quickly while its still spinning, its still powerfully pushing air for 5-10 seconds while its spinning down.. like hold it up to your hand or face and its still blowing for a while. Some high-qual, heavy duty bearings.

Next thing I'd do is get 2 or 3 zip ties and tighten up that bundle of cables supplying power to the motherboard. Gets 'em out of the way and makes it easy to remove the shroud. Check out how I did it: http://picasaweb.google.com/odditory/Centro10/photo#5156169008245531938
 
Hey Ockie-what's with the USB IPMI cable? If it's anything like the units I have experience with you should be able to give it an IP and tie it to the primary NIC. That might make things a little easier.
 
Hey Ockie, did you use the WDTLER utility to enable TLER on your GP drives so they don't decide to drop out of your array down the road?
 
Dump the 2 Xeons and go for 2 or 4 AMD Opteron quad cores, but then you would have to buy a new board.

And in your server you will have as much ram as our whole computer lab at school (32 dell optiplexs with 1gb ram each).
 
Hey Ockie, did you use the WDTLER utility to enable TLER on your GP drives so they don't decide to drop out of your array down the road?

The isnt using any raid.
Or do u mean the card dumping the drive.
 
jojo1224 said:
Dump the 2 Xeons and go for 2 or 4 AMD Opteron quad cores, but then you would have to buy a new board.

And in your server you will have as much ram as our whole computer room (32 dell optiplexs with 1gb ram each).

What would be the point of that, when these new generation 45nm Xeons with 12MB cache eat Opterons for breakfast? Don't get me wrong, I know that historically Opterons are a staple of server rooms worldwide and AMD is respected in that arena, but just like AMD continues to drop the ball in the desktop CPU market, Intel is wasting no time gulping large quantities of server-class CPU marketshare now too, and for good reason: the price/performance is there in spades. If someone really NEEDED a 4-socket board, then a new Intel 7300 based board would be the way to go anyway over AMD's older tech. This particular board Ockie's using based on Intel 5400 chipset is also way more robust in terms of featureset and bandwidth in terms of the northbridge/southbridge, # of PCIe slots, etc. etc. than AMD's most recent server board offerings. There's also something to be said for "true blue" Intel in terms of stability; the same conclusion Apple's engineers came to when they decided to outfit Mac Pro's and X servers with Intel Xeon based boards and CPU's (though I hardly care what Apple does, but it demonstrates a larger overall pattern/shift in the marketplace).

I've run AMD based desktops AND servers in years past and they ran just fine, but AMD's glory days of compelling price/performance ratio over Intel has come and gone, especially when we're talking "best of breed" components for a new build today.
 
Serious hardware porn! Thanks for the effort to get these pics to us. You've made us all happy!!
 
Hey Ockie-what's with the USB IPMI cable? If it's anything like the units I have experience with you should be able to give it an IP and tie it to the primary NIC. That might make things a little easier.

You can use the IPMI via the Primary NIC interface, however, I bought the adapter (+) with the IPMI card. Little did I know that the BIG BOLD RED LETTERS on the motherboard page said that I needed a longer IPMI mini USB cable :p I need to RTFM next time.

Anyways, it's just a little cable, but it makes the out of band management completely exclusive from the system.

It's not the end of the world if I don't have the cable, but it would be nice to get it sometime :)

Hey Ockie, did you use the WDTLER utility to enable TLER on your GP drives so they don't decide to drop out of your array down the road?

I'm not running an array on the 1tb drives. Also, I can't justify on the hope that the WDTLER tool may or may not work down the road and sacrificing 24TB for that :) So I'm just all JBOD :) Now as for the Raid on the system drives, they are SAS Savvio drives so they don't have any of the desktop problems :D



EDIT:

Update:

Just bought 4 x 15k Savvio 73.4GB SAS Drives and an Adaptec 3405 SAS PCI-E Controller. This is going to be smokin fast. I did roughly check the dimensions of the case, and I am confident that I will be able to fit everything in there.
 
<snip>Just bought 4 x 15k Savvio 73.4GB SAS Drives and an Adaptec 3405 SAS PCI-E Controller. This is going to be smokin fast. I did roughly check the dimensions of the case, and I am confident that I will be able to fit everything in there.

Good choice on Adaptec 3405 - a good card. I'm a fan of that family of cards that includes the 3405, 3805, 31605. I have two of the 31605. In my opinion they're even more bulletproof than what I've seen of my Areca card. With an Areca, once it marks a drive or several drives as "failed", you're F*CKED, as I learned the hard way a few days ago after I had a cabling problem and the Areca marked 4 drives failed. With the Adaptec, there's a feature to force failed drive(s) online. On the other hand Areca has spindown and other cool little features, but for "no nonsense" its all about Adaptec. Adaptec stuff is time-tested and proven, and with an installed base of millions, whereas Areca's installed base is lucky if its in the tens of thousands.
 
Good choice on Adaptec 3405 - a good card. I'm a fan of that family of cards that includes the 3405, 3805, 31605. I have two of the 31605. In my opinion they're even more bulletproof than what I've seen of my Areca card. With an Areca, once it marks a drive or several drives as "failed", you're F*CKED, as I learned the hard way a few days ago after I had a cabling problem and the Areca marked 4 drives failed. With the Adaptec, there's a feature to force failed drive(s) online. On the other hand Areca has spindown and other cool little features, but for "no nonsense" its all about Adaptec. Adaptec stuff is time-tested and proven, and with an installed base of millions, whereas Areca's installed base is lucky if its in the tens of thousands.

Adaptec had all the features I needed and it came with the correct cables that I also needed. Not to mention the price was great on it... it wasn't sky high as some other 4 drive SAS controllers... some of them were... uhh...well way way way way out there in price. This whole SAS ordeal was a little unexpected and last minute, cost was already blowing my budget to kingdom come.




Update: Memory prices slumped slightly so I snatched up 16 sticks of 2GB FB-DIMM's, saved a $100 bucks in the slump... YAY!!

.
 
Adaptec had all the features I needed and it came with the correct cables that I also needed. Not to mention the price was great on it... it wasn't sky high as some other 4 drive SAS controllers... some of them were... uhh...well way way way way out there in price. This whole SAS ordeal was a little unexpected and last minute, cost was already blowing my budget to kingdom come.

Where did you get the controller, and what do you consider a price??

Since buying Galaxy 4.5 (money, I really was not planning to spend!!, I like the case a lot, but it makes me want drives/controllers!!!)
Thinking that maybe dropping 4 x Raptors on this card would not be to bad, as the base for some vm's.......


Update: Memory prices slumped slightly so I snatched up 16 sticks of 2GB FB-DIMM's, saved a $100 bucks in the slump... YAY!!
.

Sweet, what ram did you end up going with??
 
Where did you get the controller, and what do you consider a price??

It was from a newer company with decent reviews, Keenzo, it was about $240 + ship. Other retailers (directron and other more popular ones) had them for 330+


Sweet, what ram did you end up going with??

I went with Wintec memory as it's Supermicro recomended and it has great reviews.
 
Slim DVD Optical Drive. This is one sweet slot load drive.

dsc06364ug9.jpg


dsc06365iu8.jpg


dsc06366zp1.jpg


Oh, and the obligatory cat picture ;) Kittah is not amused.

dsc06367fp7.jpg


dsc06368dn7.jpg
 
Where did you get the slot load? I haven't been able find them at a good online store.
 
Back
Top