Project: Galaxy 5.0

Ockie is likely reading all of this and giggling how our minds cannot even comprehend his new plans.

Ockie is likely reading all of this and giggling how our minds cannot even comprehend his new plans.

Or maybe he's thinking of a way to take up a collection to build his next monster Galaxy. :eek:

If he earned a buck for each post in this thread, he'd be able to buy several TB of HDDs. :p

Or maybe he's thinking of a way to take up a collection to build his next monster Galaxy. :eek:

If he earned a buck for each post in this thread, he'd be able to buy several TB of HDDs. :p

or if he got one for every view :O
much more space than the universe itself

lol at you guys.

Nothing in the works at this moment. Right now what I want to do is convert to the Norco MiniSAS rack mount cases and use the new LSI SAS controllers PCIE. Oh, and I plan on replacing all the drives with 2tb drives.

That's basically it, just updating, nothing new, nothing fancy, still maintaining similar storage capacity with half the drives.

I haven't been able to find a case of my dreams, so this is on hold.

I haven't been able to find a case of my dreams, so this is on hold.

Here's a project:

1. Increase your Norco 4020 count to 10.
2. Cut off the front part of the case from the backplane forward on all 10.
3. Mount those 10 units in your (presumably 42U) rack, fill w/ 2tb drives.
4. Mount PSU's, mobo inside back half of rack.
5. The rack is the computer, 400tb.

[LYL]Homer;1034132283 said:
Here's a project:

1. Increase your Norco 4020 count to 10.
2. Cut off the front part of the case from the backplane forward on all 10.
3. Mount those 10 units in your (presumably 42U) rack, fill w/ 2tb drives.
4. Mount PSU's, mobo inside back half of rack.
5. The rack is the computer, 400tb.

$50,000 in drives later....

While it sounds great, I'd rather just go get that Corvette I've always wanted :D

Build it by yourself.

you've finished all the space you have?

I've tried looking at custom solutions, nothing really jumps at me. Mountain mods has some cool builds, but nothing that strikes me as great, nothing that makes me go daym. I have thought of my own case before, but then again, I can't find the happy medium. I have a feeling I'll spend 5 years on a case and then I wont like it... I'm quite picky :)

$50,000 in drives later....

While it sounds great, I'd rather just go get that Corvette I've always wanted :D

I've tried looking at custom solutions, nothing really jumps at me. Mountain mods has some cool builds, but nothing that strikes me as great, nothing that makes me go daym. I have thought of my own case before, but then again, I can't find the happy medium. I have a feeling I'll spend 5 years on a case and then I wont like it... I'm quite picky :)

How about the Xi NetRaider64XE? As far as I can tell (some of us tried to track down the manufacturer of the case several years ago), the case was custom designed/built for Xi Computers. Still tops on my list for pretty tower servers.

Link to Xi Computers website

How about the Xi NetRaider64XE? As far as I can tell (some of us tried to track down the manufacturer of the case several years ago), the case was custom designed/built for Xi Computers. Still tops on my list for pretty tower servers.

Link to Xi Computers website

I own that case actually. It's actually made by Guanghsing Industrial and is known as the GHS-2000 (and their US distributor is Akiwa): http://www.akiwa.com/item.php?id=82&pg=overview

If you have any questions about it or want more pictures (here is what I have so far: http://stfcc.org/bluefox/photos/cubeserver/), let me know. I've yet to really come across another person that owns one (well, apart from the person I bought it from), but if you want to buy one, I think they run ~$600 and probably a few hundred for shipping (as it weighs 100lbs empty and presumably has to be shipped on a pallet).

Blue Fox nice and big case, do you have a picture of the inside? If it is so heavy how do you move it than yourself?

Blue Fox nice and big case, do you have a picture of the inside? If it is so heavy how do you move it than yourself?
It has casters, so I can move it on my own on the same floor, but even empty, I got a friend to help me move it upstairs. I might drag it to quakecon as I could put my 100lb monitor on top of it and then my computer would weight more then double what I do. :eek:

Anyway, I just took some pics of the interior.
http://stfcc.org/bluefox/photos/cubeserver/DSC00808.JPG
http://stfcc.org/bluefox/photos/cubeserver/DSC00809.JPG
http://stfcc.org/bluefox/photos/cubeserver/DSC00810.JPG

now put it full whit hdd's :p. Thanks for the pictures. A really big case.

It has casters, so I can move it on my own on the same floor, but even empty, I got a friend to help me move it upstairs. I might drag it to quakecon as I could put my 100lb monitor on top of it and then my computer would weight more then double what I do. :eek:

Anyway, I just took some pics of the interior.
http://stfcc.org/bluefox/photos/cubeserver/DSC00808.JPG
http://stfcc.org/bluefox/photos/cubeserver/DSC00809.JPG
http://stfcc.org/bluefox/photos/cubeserver/DSC00810.JPG

Damn, is that your basement floor or garage floor? I recently did my floor with the same kit you used and it came out great, but got torn to shit this past winter with my sleds.

I'm planning on redoing it but this time with rubber tiles like what the oil change places use as flooring.

Thats a nice case, but the weight alone will kill you. I used to have similar NET cases like that and they are just too heavy for anything useful.... they sure don't build them like they used to.

Damn, is that your basement floor or garage floor? I recently did my floor with the same kit you used and it came out great, but got torn to shit this past winter with my sleds.

I'm planning on redoing it but this time with rubber tiles like what the oil change places use as flooring.

Thats a nice case, but the weight alone will kill you. I used to have similar NET cases like that and they are just too heavy for anything useful.... they sure don't build them like they used to.
Garage. No basements in Texas. :(

Yeah, the weight is ridiculous. Then again, last time I saw you, you seemed like you could lift considerably more than I could with ease. That case is the strongest one I've ever come across though. I stood on the top to test it (I'm 155lbs) and it didn't bow at all. There is even a tray built for the case so that you can put it in a rack.

Yeah, the weight is ridiculous. Then again, last time I saw you, you seemed like you could lift considerably more than I could with ease. That case is the strongest one I've ever come across though. I stood on the top to test it (I'm 155lbs) and it didn't bow at all. There is even a tray built for the case so that you can put it in a rack.

You do get basements, just super rare and expensive... and pointless :)

As for the case, yeah, it's ok empty, but when you factor everything else in there, even if you can lift it or not, it becomes quite a chore. For me, those cases were always a transport issue as they wont fit in cars without damaging something.

You do get basements, just super rare and expensive... and pointless :)

As for the case, yeah, it's ok empty, but when you factor everything else in there, even if you can lift it or not, it becomes quite a chore. For me, those cases were always a transport issue as they wont fit in cars without damaging something.
Yeah, when I picked it up, I didn't have the easiest time getting it onto the back seat of my Nissan Maxima (I even brought a friend to help me move it). At least I'm borrowing my parent's minivan for quakecon. I still want to get 2 Norco cases, some SAS expanders, and one of the Areca SAS cards. I think that's going to be the best solution for now.

I only know one person who has a basement in TX, and its just weird.

I only know one person who has a basement in TX, and its just weird.

I was doing new home shopping in N. TX and didn't find a single (new) home with a basement. From what I understand, some custom luxury homebuilders could do that.

Where in N. TX you been looking?
Dont know how familiar you are with the area, but im from dallas so if you have any Q's feel free to pm me.

Back