Project: Galaxy 5.0

If you don't plan on running a raid again for the data why get the quad nic? Single drives will not be able to take advantage of 6 nics teamed.

Accessing diffrent data across diffrent drives simulataniously (spelling :eek:)

wow, this sounds like an amazing project. Also, if you don't know what you want to do with it after you're done I'll pm you my address I'll even pay the shipping charges.:D :D

Anyway, looking forward to seeing this to the end. :)

I expect Galaxy 6.0 to be all solid state!

I will be watching this one though.

Any reason your going with 2k3 server, hate to sound like a Linux fanboy (I'm Red Hat Certified tho) but ive always seen the LVM file system in Linux to be a bit more robust

Even though I agree with you that it is much smarter to go with Linux, I have to state that LVM by itself is no file system, but instead as the name implies a logical volume manager. On that you can use whatever file system you prefer (Reiser, ext2/3, ...)

OH MAN! Here we go again lol. I love the Galaxy projects, makes me smile.:D

That, and when you lose 24tb of storage for 1.5tb of storage, when storage is your goal ;)

Seriosly why the fuck would you buy a ssd for a server :confused:

scsi is still way cheaper then ssd.

I don't know... He may have only meant to do the boot drives that way, in which case a 64gb SSD vs a 74gb raptor (unless ockie has 150s?) wouldn't be all that terrible, until you look at cost:benefit.

I'm a little loss with the current discussion. The boot drives are Raptor 150's.

Anyways guys,this project is at a halt until I can locate more buyers for the old galaxy parts. Check out the thread:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1251269

Need to sell a couple more things and then the buying can commence. I want to make this as little out of pocket as possible... to me thats part of the fun in a project :D

Just an update: I am ready to order the case if I can locate one in stock :(

Galaxy 4.5 breakdown process shal commence.

I bought Galaxy 4!!!! I am going to start my own work log when I get the case, I am not going to change much covering the case, back planes, fans, and/or case features (as the 37 page thread on Galaxy 4 already does this!), but I am going to look into the raid "window" more then Ockie has in the past... I will start with around 12tb and adding 1-2tb each month.... The biggest problem I had, is coming up with a cool name, but thanks to the help of friends, I settled on Plutonium, and because this is third revision on my file server, it will Plutonium 3...
One last thing before I stop stealing the Galaxy 5 thread, and that is my main reason for going this route, instead of a rack server case, was the fact that I love PC Power and Cooling power supplies and would trust them with anything, I get a little nervous when 100% of my data is on the server, I do not want a chance of ps failing and "eating" drives......

Ockie, we want to see pictures of that new case!!!

Yeah Gjvrieze is going to breathe new life into 4.5

Anyways, right now I am stuck, no one has this case I want in stock (everyone has it backordered).

Also, I can't decide between the raid controllers, I really like the cost per port effectiveness of the Highpoint 2340 (16 port express), but the ARC-1280ML from areca is simply amazing (24 port express), but at a cost of $300 more vs two 2340's (32 ports). Since I wont be using raid, I don't see in spending so much, but I also hate having multiples when I can have one and I do kinda want to go all out this time. If this Supermicro case has the signaling LED's built in, then I think I should save some money, but if it doesn't, then the ARC-1280ML would be a better option as the signaling wires are already built in to each outbreak. So anyone care do find out for me? :D

Decisions :(

Yeah Gjvrieze is going to breathe new life into 4.5

Anyways, right now I am stuck, no one has this case I want in stock (everyone has it backordered).

Also, I can't decide between the raid controllers, I really like the cost per port effectiveness of the Highpoint 2340 (16 port express), but the ARC-1280ML from areca is simply amazing (24 port express), but at a cost of $300 more vs two 2340's (32 ports). Since I wont be using raid, I don't see in spending so much, but I also hate having multiples when I can have one and I do kinda want to go all out this time. If this Supermicro case has the signaling LED's built in, then I think I should save some money, but if it doesn't, then the ARC-1280ML would be a better option as the signaling wires are already built in to each outbreak. So anyone care do find out for me? :D

Decisions :(

I am acutally thinking of getting the ARC-1280ML for Plutonium 3 in the spring, between what benchmarks I could find and the specs, this is a serious card, I think that it has Online Capacity Expansion, even though I do not know if I could trust it...... I have not read about the Highpoint 2340 yet, off to read on that...
Ockie if you are getting a Supermicro case that holds 24 drives or more?? If the 24 drive case, I think having just 1 controller would be best:)

I am acutally thinking of getting the ARC-1280ML for Plutonium 3 in the spring, between what benchmarks I could find and the specs, this is a serious card, I think that it has Online Capacity Expansion, even though I do not know if I could trust it...... I have not read about the Highpoint 2340 yet, off to read on that...
Ockie if you are getting a Supermicro case that holds 24 drives or more?? If the 24 drive case, I think having just 1 controller would be best:)

It would be this 24 drive case, once I met capacity using the latest drives, I'm jumping to the 48+2 drive case. So yeah, I do like the idea of less controllers.

Oh, I noticed that the 1280 has out of band management, so I'm sold :)

1280ML sold out from newegg (by far the cheapest place) and the supermicro case I'm looking for is nowhere to be found, everyone just has a backorder :(

This sux.

1280ML sold out from newegg (by far the cheapest place) and the supermicro case I'm looking for is nowhere to be found, everyone just has a backorder :(

This sux.

Are you ordering the dual cpu mobo, cpu's, ram and stuff yet, or waiting till you have the case??

I have noticed server grade parts tend to be out of stock a lot more, you can also get it at CDW, but for $1400, which is way to high.....

Are you ordering the dual cpu mobo, cpu's, ram and stuff yet, or waiting till you have the case??

I have noticed server grade parts tend to be out of stock a lot more, you can also get it at CDW, but for $1400, which is way to high.....

I would order the mobo, memory, and procs now, but I don't want to have these components sit around while I wait for the case. My main concern is a doa product which could cause problems down the road if i take too long at finding a case. Also, I like to get the most expensive stuff out of the way first.

Right now I think I may pull the trigger tomorrow on the mobo and procs as they have free shipping and are on sale right now. I don't want to wait too long and miss the deal on everything.

I would order the mobo, memory, and procs now, but I don't want to have these components sit around while I wait for the case. My main concern is a doa product which could cause problems down the road if i take too long at finding a case. Also, I like to get the most expensive stuff out of the way first.

Right now I think I may pull the trigger tomorrow on the mobo and procs as they have free shipping and are on sale right now. I don't want to wait too long and miss the deal on everything.

I would assume you have seen this case, but I have been looking at it for a few weeks, looks nice for the price....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811291016

Yeah, but it's a 5u and it's quite a lot more expensive.

Forgetting the price difference, what is your reason for staying in a 4u??
One of things that I like on this case, is the front slim optical drive slot, it would not get used a lot, but when installing drivers/ups software, it would be really nice.....

One of things that I like on this case, is the front slim optical drive slot, it would not get used a lot, but when installing drivers/ups software, it would be really nice.....

ya a few posts back you said you weren't gonna rack the server, so what would the 1U difference affect?:confused:

Price diff is a major factor, but not just that, to me it's about effeciency and streamlining it. 5U cases seems like an awful waste of space and bad design. The case I want, not only takes 24 drives up front, but it has a slim tray on the rear for an optical drive and internal brackets for system drives... not to mention that it's a whole lot smaller profile... which allows for easier transportation too.

So, even if you put price aside, the fact comes in that the unit I want is a more developed unit, with a High effiecency psu, will be guranteed to play nice with my board selection, better design concept overall.

If I wanted a 5u (which I'll get after this one), I'll go with the 50 drive units.

ya a few posts back you said you weren't gonna rack the server, so what would the 1U difference affect?:confused:

Server wont be racked right from the start, but eventually it will. Keep in mind, I just bought a new home, I have all the space in the world now for rack cabinets :cool:

And as I said before, no rack unit comes close to competing with that supermicro in price for performance and efficiency.

Ockie, do you know of any cheaper 3/4U chassis that just hold the drives? Like the dell md3000, but way cheaper?

I want to get a storage server going but I'd like to avoid the case step-ups that you've gone through. I figure I can use any server in whatever cheap ass case i got laying arround then just use external sas cables (infiniband?) to connect to an external disk chassis. Then as i expand i can get buy another disk chassis and a sas card for the server and I'm good to go.

The dell one is nice, but i dont need 4 psus and all that jazz. Too bad i'm not good at metalworking, someone could make one out of Alu, slapin some 5x3 drive cages and a psu and your golden.

Ockie, do you know of any cheaper 3/4U chassis that just hold the drives? Like the dell md3000, but way cheaper?

I want to get a storage server going but I'd like to avoid the case step-ups that you've gone through. I figure I can use any server in whatever cheap ass case i got laying arround then just use external sas cables (infiniband?) to connect to an external disk chassis. Then as i expand i can get buy another disk chassis and a sas card for the server and I'm good to go.

The dell one is nice, but i dont need 4 psus and all that jazz. Too bad i'm not good at metalworking, someone could make one out of Alu, slapin some 5x3 drive cages and a psu and your golden.

MD1000 is the cheapest SAS solution that I know of the top of my head. It's about $1,200 on ebay for an empty chassis with controllers.

However, if you want a cheaper alternative, check out norcotek's products on newegg. They run about $600 a unit.

I was looking at that MD1000 unit for quite a while now, we use these mostly at work, but it would be a great advantage for galaxy IMO. 45 drives per channel (dells requirement), puts you at 90 drives using a decent controller and 6 enclosures.

I take it that noise isn't that much of a concern for you since most rackmount chassis are pretty loud (and well ventilated to boot).

MD1000 is the cheapest SAS solution that I know of the top of my head. It's about $1,200 on ebay for an empty chassis with controllers.

However, if you want a cheaper alternative, check out norcotek's products on newegg. They run about $600 a unit.

I was looking at that MD1000 unit for quite a while now, we use these mostly at work, but it would be a great advantage for galaxy IMO. 45 drives per channel (dells requirement), puts you at 90 drives using a decent controller and 6 enclosures.

How do you get 45 drives on one channel? do the enclosures daisy chain before connecting to the server's controller?

We dont have anything like this at work yet so i have no idea how they work. :eek:

*edit* I just read the lit on dell's site. Daisy chained using 12GB/s connectors. Thats impressive that you can connect 3 enclosures to a server with 1 connection. Very impressive.

You cant start with one, build up to 15 TB drives. Get a second slowly build up to 15 of whatever is the highest at the time, Then get a third, fill it up with drives at 50-75% capacity then move the data from enclosure 1 to fill up 3 and then replace the drives in 1. Give you a nice buffer to replace the oldest drives.

Wow I just checked out those Norco's and thats EXACTLY what i pictured in my mind about building one. Simple enclosure, pc power supply.

I'm surprised how many options they have. USB, Firewire, eSata, Infiniband.

Now I just need to find one in Canadaland thats not super over-priced, the dells are obviously better but you cant beat that price for short term. Especially when your a student. Hopefully my co-op at RIM starting in Jan will land me some spending money after food/rent.

Back