Project: Galaxy 5.0

Infiniband is fun to play with - I've used IB and 10GE at work. For those PCI-x IB cards, be aware that you'll need a server-class motherboard to really take advantage of the bandwidth: 64bit x 133MHz = 1064 megabytes/s, which is half the full-duplex bandwidth of a 10 gig IB port. The card will work in a, a 32bit PCI slot, but a typical desktop board is probably driving that slot at 66MHz at the most. So in a regular motherboard you'll only get 32bit x 66Mhz = 266 megabytes/s. "Modern" IB cards are all PCI-e x8, though if you have a desktop board with an extra PCI-e x16 slot maybe an IB card will work in it - then again, the BIOS on a desktop MB probably expects a GPU in that slot, if anything at all, so YMMV.

All that said, comparing IB vs. 10 gig ethernet - you'll probably get more throughput at lower CPU overhead from an IB setup vs. the same hosts running current generation 10GE cards. However, the diference is small, and completely negligible on multi-core systems. In fact, given the maturity of TCP over ethernet, you may have fewer issues with 10GE at this time.

In terms of driver support, check out http://www.openfabrics.org/ for free IB drivers. You'll need to install the Service Manager (SM) on at least one machine in your IB network in order for any of them to talk. You can directly connect 2 machines back to back with IB, but to get a 3rd machine in the mix you'll actually need to set up additional "subnets" for each PC to PC link - and additional instances of the SM. Of course if you have an IB switch you only need one SM per network. You may want to configure a secondary SM on another machine so your IB network still works when the primary SM host is powered off. The OFED stack from openfabrics includes all the software you need for the SM, a DHCP server, and TCP/IP over IB.

Bridging or routing between IB and ethernet is not very mature as of yet. There are some expensive managed IB switches that do it, but what most folks with IB are doing is setting up a private IB network within a cluster of machines. If you have a few machines, putting them all on IB is the way to go. You can use one of those machines to route to the internet, thereby providing internet access to the other machines.
 
Ockie: can you give me any idea on how long OCEs were taking for you with your 1TB drives?


They take forever, I usually leave 30 or so hours out of the day when expecting to expand to more drives.

What switch setup are you going to?? Also, is this just for at home, or do you take your switches to LAN parties??

I was referring to the core switch, the 3Com's I typically use have no problem achieving this goal. Yes, I host lan parties, so I buy switches geared towards that avenue.

Ah, I bet foreground would be a lot faster, should try it with one drive, kind of scary, if it were to take 24hrs, we could not live without it that long!!!

I know, [h] costs me a ton too, and Ockie is the worst of it; so I bought a 24 port managed switch off of him this past week, then this morning, he is like "Oh, btw, take it from me... this switch is AMAZING with aggregate performance. Get yourself some quad nics " Now, I really want to grab one!!!

Yeah, well once you feel the increase between multiple machines and you get a taste for some trunking, you won't want to go back.

I have no real experience with it either, but I know you can do IP over Infiniband (topology is a bit different...I think the same as fibre channel), so hopefully everything should work...maybe Ockie can chime in on this?

Infiniband is great, but I wouldn't use it for this function. I also like the ability to be flexible, you are not going to find many folks with Infiniband laying around that you can hook to, but you will see in the future 10gig ethernet devices popup more and more. I personally believe Infiniband belongs in the datacenter and is pretty application specific.

I'm a little storage Napoleon.
lol at alcuin :) Looks like you added some more GP drives :D
 
Final Galaxy 5.0 Pictures!

Everything is in place now. I don't think I am missing anything, lets hope not!

Areca Battery Backup Unit:
dsc06470hq4.jpg


Final pictures, damn, I hate it when the fingerprints shows in pictures :(

dsc06471db9.jpg


dsc06472hc3.jpg


dsc06473kf1.jpg


dsc06474qx9.jpg


dsc06476pa5.jpg


dsc06477wt4.jpg


dsc06480wu7.jpg


dsc06481rg9.jpg




And my next projects:

Fixing the snowmobile (arrrgg!!) (Perhaps this is a good time to soup it up? lol)
Giving galaxy a home (Cabinets)
Creating a cheap backup solution (dubbed: Galaxy Parallel Project 1.0)
Creating a room for Galaxy and the cabinets (dubbed: Galaxy Doomsday Vault Data Center Project 1.0) (I have an insane idea for this, even my wife is shaking her head this time... think bullet proof, think bunker, think Military Classification A vault structure)
Configuring my new toys (Dell SC440's):
dsc06482ft1.jpg


pppsssstt... and planning the next galaxy! ... no, just kidding... seriously... joke.
 
ockie - real nice gear. what are in the dell boxes?

what are you planning for the backup solution? and did you decide on os? i went to that MS Event and got copies of Server08, been thinking of loading that on my test server to mess around.
 
Nice work!

Can't wait to see your Galaxy Parallel Project 1.0 worklog.:)
 
Niiiice. :D *suppress envy*

So the Dell boxes are the Parallel Project??

I almost want to see the vault photos more than anything else. :)
 
Final Galaxy Configuration for those who want to know:

Supermicro X7DWN+ Dual 771 Intel 5400 Seaburg Extended ATX Server Motherboard
Supermicro SC846TQ-R900B 24 Hot Swap SATAII Chassis (dual 900w redundant HE PSU's N+1)
Supermicro MCP-220-84601-0N HDD-add on module for internal mounting
Supermicro AOC-SIMSO(+) IPMI Remote lights out management
Supermicro CBL-0177L Cable Extension for IPMI
Supermicro CSE-M14TB 4-in-1 Mini SAS Hot-Swap Unit
Two Intel Xeon E5410's Harpertown 2.33GHz 12MB L2 Cache Socket 771 Quad-Core (8 cores total)
Areca 1280-ML 24 Port PCI-E SATAII Raid Controller with Mini SAS Breakout cables
Areca 1280ML 2GB Cache Memory Upgrade Kit
Adaptec 3405 4 Port SAS Controller PCI-E
Adaptec 3405 Battery Backup Option Kit
Adaptec 3405 256MB Cache Upgrade Kit
Adaptec 3405 MiniSAS to SFF Sas 1M Cable Kit
16 x Wintec 2GB DDRII FB-DIMM DDRII-667 Memory Modules (total of 32GB Ram)
Microsoft Windows 2003 Server x64 R2
4 x Seagate 15K Savvio 2.5" 73.4GB SAS Drives
24 x Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB SATAII Hard Drives, 32MB Cache
Intel PCI-E PRO/1000 PT Quad Port Server Adapter
Quanta Storage Slim DVD slot load Drive
Slim Optical Drive Adapter to IDE
Ultra Rounded IDE Cable
 
I'm looking forward to Galaxy Doomsday Vault Data Center Project 1.0. :D
 
Looks good, I'm asuming you plugged in the remote access card after the pictures or are you just using rdp to get into it right now and waiting till you move it?
 
has anyone ever told you that they hated you? because i do.

i dont really hate you but more on the lines of envy/jealousy lol.


incredible setup man.
 
has anyone ever told you that they hated you? because i do.

i dont really hate you but more on the lines of envy/jealousy lol.


incredible setup man.

I have told him numerous times. :p
 
The Dells are probably game servers-I saw Ockie sold a number of systems (like 10 I think) that were probably game servers. Looking at the specs on Dell's website I'd say that's what they are.

Am I right?

Glad you are still with us-now stop monkeying around in the snow and stick to computers! :D
 
Your making a at-home data center ockie?

Somewhere in this world, there is a vastly inferior data center. That data center can blame Ockie for stealing it and calling it a Galaxy. :p

Nice pics and setup there, Ockie. Even though it's way too early to think about 6.0 ... well, is it ever too early? ;)

Enjoy your Galaxy. :D
 
My friends think I have alot of stuff, I always show them Ockie's gear, I say "I ain't got shit on Ockie" ;)

awesome stuff man.
 
Nice but why do u have have dual xeons and 32gb ram? Are you trying to run google and skynet from one machine? Because that is ridiculous. And hurry up on you backup server google is waiting and hurry on the ockie database. And btw sweet server and I hate you, all i have is a 280gb server that cost me $100.
 
Nice but why do u have have dual xeons and 32gb ram? Are you trying to run google and skynet from one machine? Because that is ridiculous. And hurry up on you backup server google is waiting and hurry on the ockie database. And btw sweet server and I hate you, all i have is a 280gb server that cost me $100.

He never said this server has much purpose, it is more a "because I can" thing. ;) I have a large computer not necessarily because I really need it, but because I can have it. :D
 
ockie - real nice gear. what are in the dell boxes?

what are you planning for the backup solution? and did you decide on os? i went to that MS Event and got copies of Server08, been thinking of loading that on my test server to mess around.

The Dell boxes are Dell Poweredge SC440's.

Backup solution is still a secret project because the are so many options to head into. I've been researching from a Clustered NAS to a simple USB drive.. so a lot of options are still on the table.

Niiiice. :D *suppress envy*

So the Dell boxes are the Parallel Project??

I almost want to see the vault photos more than anything else. :)

The boxes are going to be Game Servers for the upcoming madlan lanparty. It's going to be a big project because I pretty much scrapped the entire old setup in favor of this new setup.

Looks good, I'm asuming you plugged in the remote access card after the pictures or are you just using rdp to get into it right now and waiting till you move it?

Yeah, the pictures were just quick pix. I still have to do final settings on the remote access card and the raid controller so that I can get all the alerts for them.

Looks awesome. What are all the Dells?

Dell Poweredge SC440's.

The Dells are probably game servers-I saw Ockie sold a number of systems (like 10 I think) that were probably game servers. Looking at the specs on Dell's website I'd say that's what they are.

Am I right?

Glad you are still with us-now stop monkeying around in the snow and stick to computers! :D

Yes, you are 100% correctomondo.

Your making a at-home data center ockie?

Maybe ;) I was thinking of first making a room thats insulated and fire drywall, but then I thought to myself... since I'm doing all this work, why not make it solid walls?! After a while later, "if I spend so much, why not just go concrete with rebar", then, "if I do concrete and rebar, why not do the roof too and make it a solid room, then "i could use this as a tornado shelter since im in a high risk area!!", then "why not make it a couple inches thicker and make it a safe room/bombshelter/vault at the same time", since i'm that far "why not just add in TR25 fire suppression system!?", basically, this is the logic that kills me... slippery slope.

We'll have to see how this goes because I'm in no hurry and I have a lot of other things to work on (such as that sled).

Somewhere in this world, there is a vastly inferior data center. That data center can blame Ockie for stealing it and calling it a Galaxy. :p

Nice pics and setup there, Ockie. Even though it's way too early to think about 6.0 ... well, is it ever too early? ;)

Enjoy your Galaxy. :D

It's never too early, lols.

Nice but why do u have have dual xeons and 32gb ram? Are you trying to run google and skynet from one machine? Because that is ridiculous. And hurry up on you backup server google is waiting and hurry on the ockie database. And btw sweet server and I hate you, all i have is a 280gb server that cost me $100.

LMAO at google and skynet comments :) I could only wish.
 
im pretty sure your losing your mind. however i like where your going with this lol

kind of inspires me to get better at my job(im in IT btw) so that I can make more money and one day have a setup similar to this.
 
So Ockie, when you "fell off" that snowmobile this past weekend, did something get knocked loose? :p
 
Galaxy 5.0 looks kickass Okie.
Also looking foward to the Parallel 1.0 Project.
Did you win the lottery up there? :)

j/k

I hope you're going with a HP Cabinet. HP FTW!
 
Everything looks great, Okie. I can't wait to see the follow up projects.

You should also put something like this in your bunker/server room just to mess with the wife.
 
I spent the last 12 years of my life building rooms like this specifically to keep out people like us.
LMAO, nothing says "Nice data center" like a fucking panic room. You are one step away from creating your own batcave! That is going to be one hell of a worklog.
 
Nice but why do u have have dual xeons and 32gb ram? Are you trying to run google and skynet from one machine? Because that is ridiculous. And hurry up on you backup server google is waiting and hurry on the ockie database. And btw sweet server and I hate you, all i have is a 280gb server that cost me $100.

If dual 8 x 2.2ghz core Xeons are gonna run Skynet, then better not ask Skynet to do any H.264 transcoding of HD source material or it'll bring it to its knees.
 
Sorry if this was somewhere in the thread.

I was curious how you were partitioning the drives (if any). I know you used to have each drive contain one partition, but not sure how that changed when you put everything in a RAID6 array.

Having 1 large partition makes things easier to organize (since you don't have to worry about miscalcating the partition size). However, if the filesystem gets corrupted, it would take a very long time to do a file check or even recover.

Thanks!
 
Sorry if this was somewhere in the thread.

I was curious how you were partitioning the drives (if any). I know you used to have each drive contain one partition, but not sure how that changed when you put everything in a RAID6 array.

Having 1 large partition makes things easier to organize (since you don't have to worry about miscalcating the partition size). However, if the filesystem gets corrupted, it would take a very long time to do a file check or even recover.

Thanks!

This is the reason why I'm working on a proper backup strategy :)
 
True, but still, doing a normal disck check on a 22TB partition can't be fun either.
 
Been a while since I checked in - if anyone's interested in an Areca 1280ML, i've got one for sale! I'll probably throw it on ebay in a few days. Works perfectly.
 
Been a while since I checked in - if anyone's interested in an Areca 1280ML, i've got one for sale! I'll probably throw it on ebay in a few days. Works perfectly.

PM me :) Why are you selling it?
 
PM me :) Why are you selling it?

Why am I selling? Well it crashed my array and I lost all my porno :( Only kidding. :)

Actually its because of a little card called the Adaptec 52445 that's come along in a new gen of Adaptec cards (a.k.a. the "5" series) and came into stock only a few days ago. Price was $1287. What I like its ability to attach external storage in addition to the 6 x 4port internal miniSAS. With SAS expanders you can go bonkers and build an array up to 512Tb (ofcourse that wouldn't be feasible since raid controllers need to evolve a few more years before they'd be able to deal with the burden of arrays that big without performance sucking).

I'm one of those idiots that has to bleed money on the latest and greatest, and with Adaptec finally having caught up and probably exceeded Areca with its latest gen card now with a 24 (actually 30 port) model and a 1.2Ghz Intel IOP CPU instead of the 800Mhz IOP of the Areca, I'm planning on migrating my 24 x 1Tb hitachi drives to the Adaptec. That will be about as much fun as switching table cloths without disturbing the plates and silverware. Because I tend to do write-intensive operations, and I'm running RAID6, I'm counting on the faster raid chip to boost write throughput while computing that raid6 parity.

http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/products/raid_tech/sata_drives/SAS-52445/

I'm actually going to have the Adaptec 52445 in-hand tomorrow (got the retail kit with cables) so I'm going to bench it against the Areca and see what turns up - who knows maybe it was premature to announce selling the Areca; if the Adaptec doesn't beat the Areca's performance I'm not sure I won't return the adaptec. 3-yr warranty and techs that actually speak english at a company that will be around forever are nice perks with Adaptec.

My Areca 1280ML's been great though.
 
Why am I selling? Well it crashed my array and I lost all my porno :( Only kidding. :)

Actually its because of a little card called the Adaptec 52445 that's come along in a new gen of Adaptec cards (a.k.a. the "5" series) and came into stock only a few days ago. Price was $1287. What I like its ability to attach external storage in addition to the 6 x 4port internal miniSAS. With SAS expanders you can go bonkers and build an array up to 512Tb (ofcourse that wouldn't be feasible since raid controllers need to evolve a few more years before they'd be able to deal with the burden of arrays that big without performance sucking).

I'm one of those idiots that has to bleed money on the latest and greatest, and with Adaptec finally having caught up and probably exceeded Areca with its latest gen card now with a 24 (actually 30 port) model and a 1.2Ghz Intel IOP CPU instead of the 800Mhz IOP of the Areca, I'm planning on migrating my 24 x 1Tb hitachi drives to the Adaptec. That will be about as much fun as switching table cloths without disturbing the plates and silverware. Because I tend to do write-intensive operations, and I'm running RAID6, I'm counting on the faster raid chip to boost write throughput while computing that raid6 parity.

http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/products/raid_tech/sata_drives/SAS-52445/

I'm actually going to have the Adaptec 52445 in-hand tomorrow (got the retail kit with cables) so I'm going to bench it against the Areca and see what turns up - who knows maybe it was premature to announce selling the Areca; if the Adaptec doesn't beat the Areca's performance I'm not sure I won't return the adaptec. 3-yr warranty and techs that actually speak english at a company that will be around forever are nice perks with Adaptec.

My Areca 1280ML's been great though.

Holy crap that Adaptec 52445 is sweet, 1.2ghz dual core IOP, i dont even have a dual core pc never mind a dual core raid card. Good luck migrating the array it wont be easy and u should backup what u need but good luck finding something that u can backup onto.

PS: do you have a thread about building your server?
 
Back
Top