Project: Galaxy 5.0

The TQ lets you use SAS drives if you want; the other is strictly SATA.

Sweet, i took the chance and ordered the TQ's as it was listed as "SAS/SATA" so i figured i'd take the chance that they supported both formatted.

Steve
 
Jesus Ockie, I remember seeing Galaxy 3.0 up close and being blown away, but you just keep going! :p Keep up the [H]ard work, after all, someone has to do it.

Oh, and will you be bringing this beast to the upcoming BoxHeads LAN?
 
Sweet, i took the chance and ordered the TQ's as it was listed as "SAS/SATA" so i figured i'd take the chance that they supported both formatted.

Steve

Good choice. SAS is always an awesome option to have.
 
Look at the top of page 16, I added it up. I don't want to post the number again - it might cause Ockie to get a spasm in his left eyelid.
 
Ockie, been away for a week - what's the latest with your build? You haven't updated too much. As for my build its "no news is good news" - just populating my second chassis as I'm running out of space - it feels like this system will run forever - SOLID, brutha.
 
Ockie, been away for a week - what's the latest with your build? You haven't updated too much. As for my build its "no news is good news" - just populating my second chassis as I'm running out of space - it feels like this system will run forever - SOLID, brutha.

It has been awhile, Ockie must be busy!!!

Anyway, got my 1280ML Ordered tonight (FINALLY!!!) I paid for overnight shipping and rush processing, so I hope to get it Tuesday!

Odditory, what RAM did you end up using as the cache?? Also, did you benchmark it either way or have any idea of how it affects performance???
 
Ockie, been away for a week - what's the latest with your build? You haven't updated too much. As for my build its "no news is good news" - just populating my second chassis as I'm running out of space - it feels like this system will run forever - SOLID, brutha.

All is going good. I'm just waiting for the raid controller batteries to show up and then I am done. I am quite pleased with this setup, it's absolutley screaming fast.

I am also hoping (key is hoping) that I can acuire a better camera so I can take some final pictures once the batteries are in).

It has been awhile, Ockie must be busy!!!

Anyway, got my 1280ML Ordered tonight (FINALLY!!!) I paid for overnight shipping and rush processing, so I hope to get it Tuesday!

Odditory, what RAM did you end up using as the cache?? Also, did you benchmark it either way or have any idea of how it affects performance???

Yeah, quite busy :)

You can basically use any DDR2 ECC memory. I used a Kingston 667 stick.

When does galaxy 6.0 start?

lol, when I have another Kidney to sell.

wow, so your saying Ockie got a loan to pay for Galaxy 5.0? :eek:

thats hardcore.:D

Naw, I had to sell off an Organ for this one. :p
 
Ockie, as one of a couple of people with the Supermicro 846TQ case, can you tell me what conntectors the 2x900W power plane offers? The manual was a bit vague.

Thanks! Good luck with the newer camera. :)
 
Ockie, as one of a couple of people with the Supermicro 846TQ case, can you tell me what conntectors the 2x900W power plane offers? The manual was a bit vague.

Thanks! Good luck with the newer camera. :)



It does not offer much. 1 x FDD 4pin, 1 x Proprietary signaling wire, 1 x 4 Pin Molex (free to use internally), 5 (or so?) x 4 Pin Molex (used for the backplane), 1 x 24 Pin Motherboard,1 x 8 Pin Motherboard AUX, and I believe there is a 4 Pin Motherboard P4 style connector (don't quote me on this).


This is just the top of my head, so I may be wrong with some, but I think thats about all that is there, not much if you have a lot of internal hardware requiring aux power.
 
Hmm, that is pretty limited. SuperMicro's site has no real details on other power backplanes either. I was hoping this case might be good for a storage/htpc setup but if it entirely lacks a means of powering PCIe video cards then that's sort of a problem. :/

Incidentally, how loud are the stock fans? I may have missed it if you mentiond this, but what sort of rack/closet are you planning to house it in? It's surely a bit more environmentally demanding than your previous Galaxy-class starships^H^H^Hcases. :)
 
Hmm, that is pretty limited. SuperMicro's site has no real details on other power backplanes either. I was hoping this case might be good for a storage/htpc setup but if it entirely lacks a means of powering PCIe video cards then that's sort of a problem. :/

Incidentally, how loud are the stock fans? I may have missed it if you mentiond this, but what sort of rack/closet are you planning to house it in? It's surely a bit more environmentally demanding than your previous Galaxy-class starships^H^H^Hcases. :)


I wish that they offered backplane options with this case, a minisas or multilane backplane would have been pretty nice addition.

I don't think you are going to have enough power for a PCI-e, unless if you used the existing molex and an adapter... you could potentially tap some more power from the backplane molex by using a splitter.

This system was never intended for such a video card, so thats why it's quite limited.

The stock fans are incredibly loud and efficient. You can thremal throttle them, but they speed up when they power on and go to full throttle if one is removed or fails. I would not recomend this case configuration if it's going to be a bedroom machine or living room system... you most likley wont be able to bear the noise. If it makes you feel any better, I can hear it from my second floor and it's in the basement (and this is a new house with the latest insualtion). I am still working on the project of giving this baby a rack and putting it into it's own sound islolated room. The noise does not bother me, but I do want to give it a proper enviroment.
 
I wish that they offered backplane options with this case, a minisas or multilane backplane would have been pretty nice addition.

I too, think SAS, or ML cable support would have really put this case over the top!
The stock fans are incredibly loud and efficient. You can thremal throttle them, but they speed up when they power on and go to full throttle if one is removed or fails. I would not recomend this case configuration if it's going to be a bedroom machine or living room system... you most likley wont be able to bear the noise. If it makes you feel any better, I can hear it from my second floor and it's in the basement (and this is a new house with the latest insualtion). I am still working on the project of giving this baby a rack and putting it into it's own sound islolated room. The noise does not bother me, but I do want to give it a proper enviroment.

Exactly
As much as I like the Supermicro case, I imagined the noise to be deafening, why not go with a Lian Li PC-343, or Stacker, 36-39 hdds, and 20hds respectively......
Or build the server like Ockie's machine, and then build HTPCs, or run Sage TV, with the HD Extenders around the house..??!!
 
Well I completely imagine my needs expanding beyond the Lian-Li 343 as they obviously have for Ockie. Given that, instead of half-assing some solution with a bunch of mixed-vendor components, I really want to kill two birds with one stone. However, PCIe power and decibel level are a concern unfortunately.

It's unfortunate that the extremely cumbersome Lian-Li 343 and rather limited Stacker are the only choices for anything >12 drives. Currently I have a Lian-Li V2100, except the airflow is awful, especially for the upper (motherboard area) the 12-drive support is also somewhat limited in the lack of external availability, etc.
 
Exactly
As much as I like the Supermicro case, I imagined the noise to be deafening, why not go with a Lian Li PC-343, or Stacker, 36-39 hdds, and 20hds respectively......
Or build the server like Ockie's machine, and then build HTPCs, or run Sage TV, with the HD Extenders around the house..??!!

Perhaps you should read Galaxy 4.0 worklog or page one. :p
 
Perhaps you should read Galaxy 4.0 worklog or page one. :p

Did you mean to quote Volve??

I have been following Ockie for over 1.5yrs, and now own Galaxy 4/4.5, see my Plutonium 3 project thread...

There are things that are not great about the PC-343, mainly the lack of an optical drive and no Extended ATX, but Ockie gave me a hell of a deal on it (he was just trying to move on) and on the flip side, 30 hot swap drives for so little is great... And most of all, it just looks cool as hell sitting there for show off!!! If I were building from the ground up, I would prolly not have gone with the Athena back planes, as the LEDs act a little weird (hopefully better with the 1280ML signaling them) and went with the Supermicro ones, but I know Ockie did in Galaxy 2, and left them behind....... There is no 100% for everyone storage solution......
 
You said he should go with a Lian Li PC-343, but he did that and now moved to something else. ;)

Actually gjvrieze had suggested the Lian-Li PC-343, I believe to me. :) I had mentioned it further in terms of my own storage dilema as being one of the very few choices to move to from my current Lian-Li V2100.
 
Actually gjvrieze had suggested the Lian-Li PC-343, I believe to me. :) I had mentioned it further in terms of my own storage dilema as being one of the very few choices to move to from my current Lian-Li V2100.

Yes, Vovle, I was recommending it as an option for ya!!!
 
Did you mean to quote Volve??

I have been following Ockie for over 1.5yrs, and now own Galaxy 4/4.5, see my Plutonium 3 project thread...

There are things that are not great about the PC-343, mainly the lack of an optical drive and no Extended ATX, but Ockie gave me a hell of a deal on it (he was just trying to move on) and on the flip side, 30 hot swap drives for so little is great... And most of all, it just looks cool as hell sitting there for show off!!! If I were building from the ground up, I would prolly not have gone with the Athena back planes, as the LEDs act a little weird (hopefully better with the 1280ML signaling them) and went with the Supermicro ones, but I know Ockie did in Galaxy 2, and left them behind....... There is no 100% for everyone storage solution......

Actually gjvrieze had suggested the Lian-Li PC-343, I believe to me. :) I had mentioned it further in terms of my own storage dilema as being one of the very few choices to move to from my current Lian-Li V2100.

Ya, my mind is not totally here today. Sorry guys.
 
Yes, Vovle, I was recommending it as an option for ya!!!

I think it may be my only viable choice... big, cumbersome, annoying choice.

On a related note, do either of you ever plan to backup to tape or some other removable media? I personally tend to think using the previous generation system's storage as a backup is the most-effective, but it certainly limits one to never having enough backup capacity for a complete server backup.
 
Ockie, a question for ya: when you are adding drive via OCE, are you expanding the partition as you go? if so, are you doing it in Windows, or in Safe Mode, or a boot disk??
 
^ i am pretty sure you are adding additional space to the array, and you usually can do it in windows just like you can rebuild an array thru windows =)
 
I think it may be my only viable choice... big, cumbersome, annoying choice.

On a related note, do either of you ever plan to backup to tape or some other removable media? I personally tend to think using the previous generation system's storage as a backup is the most-effective, but it certainly limits one to never having enough backup capacity for a complete server backup.

Well I think we are all planning on some form of alternate disk to disk backup solution. I am still working on my solution that would allow me to scale my storage for pennies... but not be performance oriented (this is where is save in costs).

Ockie, a question for ya: when you are adding drive via OCE, are you expanding the partition as you go? if so, are you doing it in Windows, or in Safe Mode, or a boot disk??

I just do it through windows, works great... it just takes forever.
 
Hey, Ockie, got the ram I order for my 1280ML, and it is 18 chip configuration, not x8 or x16 like Areca wants, can you tell me want yours is?? Anyone out there got any ideas on this issue, I ordered the ram from Kingston directly, and did not pay attention to the specs on the chip configuration......

Also, Ockie, you are just waiting on the BBUs for the controllers right?? Dieing for pictures and benches man!!!
 
[LYL]Homer;1032123541 said:
I'm all ears!

Me too! :) THe easiest way I guess would be to simply duplicate the SuperMicro case and just stick lower-end components in the second, no?
 
Hey, Ockie, got the ram I order for my 1280ML, and it is 18 chip configuration, not x8 or x16 like Areca wants, can you tell me want yours is?? Anyone out there got any ideas on this issue, I ordered the ram from Kingston directly, and did not pay attention to the specs on the chip configuration......

Also, Ockie, you are just waiting on the BBUs for the controllers right?? Dieing for pictures and benches man!!!

I'm pretty sure you can go to Newegg and search for single-sided server RAM, I know Kingston is what Areca definitely recommends. Dave Graham from Flickerdown.com I'm sure could clarify further for you. I'm sure he's on here somewhere... Earth to Dave? :)
 
here i am....(man, it's been like 2 years, eh?)

a.) Areca only recommends their own brand of memory
b.) Kingston memory WILL work and here's the SKUs i know will work:
KVR533D2E4/1G
KVR533D2E4/2G
and
KVR533D2E4/512

the reason why they state "single sided" is due to the fact that the BGAs can get hot and since they're facing the onboard components, there is a miniscule chance of exacerbated temperatures causing problems.

sound about right?

Dave
 
here i am....(man, it's been like 2 years, eh?)

a.) Areca only recommends their own brand of memory
b.) Kingston memory WILL work and here's the SKUs i know will work:
KVR533D2E4/1G
KVR533D2E4/2G
and
KVR533D2E4/512

the reason why they state "single sided" is due to the fact that the BGAs can get hot and since they're facing the onboard components, there is a miniscule chance of exacerbated temperatures causing problems.

sound about right?

Dave

Dave, you are my savior!!!! I have the KVR533D2E4/2G sitting on my desk in front of me, so I am good to good, and I plan on having active cooling under the Areca in the form of the PCI slot cooler.....

Thanks again!!!!!
 
Dave, you are my savior!!!! I have the KVR533D2E4/2G sitting on my desk in front of me, so I am good to good, and I plan on having active cooling under the Areca in the form of the PCI slot cooler.....

Thanks again!!!!!

'bout time i was someone's hero. ;)

given my less-than-graceful exit last time, i think i'll try to stick around this time. :)

dave
 
'bout time i was someone's hero. ;)

given my less-than-graceful exit last time, i think i'll try to stick around this time. :)

dave

LOL,

Dave, take a look at my project worklog: Plutonium 3, as I do not want to hijack Ockie's worklog.....

I would love to hear about what happened last time, you seam to have experience in the Areca field, that is worth a ton to me:)
 
Back
Top