Project: Galaxy 5.0

Going by Intel's product briefs, the IOP348 is single core, but the IOP342 can be scaled to 2 processors (no mention of dual core though). I have a feeling Adaptec is not using an Intel chip for their new RAID cards as in their comparison pages, they mention Intel for the lower end and are very vague about what processor is in their new line.
 
Did you ever find a rackmount cabinet? I remember you were considering one.

That whole idea changed. I am in the business of co-locating servers and renting dedicated servers, so I figured why not put it in my rack at the data center ;) I will be VPN'ing into the server there and sync it with a server at home (starting to work out the details for the server at home).
 
what kind of net connection do you have at home to actually make use of that much offsite storage?
 
That whole idea changed. I am in the business of co-locating servers and renting dedicated servers, so I figured why not put it in my rack at the data center ;) I will be VPN'ing into the server there and sync it with a server at home (starting to work out the details for the server at home).


Can't wait to see the plans for the "home" server.
 
what kind of net connection do you have at home to actually make use of that much offsite storage?

i had the same thought, seems like it would be a waste of a server like that on normal connections.
 
T1 aint really that fast when your talking about 16TB or whatever Ockie has. My cable ISP is almost always faster then a T1, im about 30/10 with this connection, slowest is maybe 15/10 it drops too.
 
Im sure Okie has a dedicated T1 connection at home :D
T1 is ~1.5mbit up and down. They're slow and really only used in a business environment because you can split it up between voice and data. These days, it is hard to find something that has slower downstream and most of the cable/DSL/FTTH providers offer residential lines that provide equal or faster speeds for upstream.

I'm personally a bit disappointed as I wanted to see how well a 10gbit NIC would work for you as that's what I'm personally looking at at the moment. Might just get the hardware anyway and see how well it works.
 
We use 10gbit nics here at work, they are awesome, the only problem is the amount of data that you have to push across them ;)

The link to the backup server is strictly for file synchronization and nothing more, it's basically an off-site backup, if the data trickles in or screams in, does not matter to me.

Also, I have a good connection at home, but more importantly, I have a screaming connection available to me. I also have the luxury of sneaker-netting the entire system locally for synchronization.
 
Great idea Ockie - it's nice to have the facilities at your disposal.

For reference guys (not that Ockie needs to know) a T1 is only 1.5Mb/sec, a T3 is 45Mb/sec - these are business lines that have been around for ages. Think about that for a minute. Residential consumer Verizon FiOS can do 50Mb/sec with recent improvements. After T-carrier lines you get into OC (Optical Carrier) lines, now /those/ can get impressive.

Fun details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_Carrier
 
Great idea Ockie - it's nice to have the facilities at your disposal.

For reference guys (not that Ockie needs to know) a T1 is only 1.5Mb/sec, a T3 is 45Mb/sec - these are business lines that have been around for ages. Think about that for a minute. Residential consumer Verizon FiOS can do 50Mb/sec with recent improvements. After T-carrier lines you get into OC (Optical Carrier) lines, now /those/ can get impressive.

Fun details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_Carrier

Yes, T1 is relatively slow and expensive. Their main benefit is the technical support you get. If your cable/DSL/FiOS goes out, the customer service rep will just say, "yeah, yeah, we're working on it". But if a T1 line goes down, they'll be there to troubleshoot with you. That's my exp. w/ my company's T3 lines.

Also, you're allowed to run Web and FTP servers legally w/ T1, but I don't think residential ISP's EULAs permit that kind of thing. Of course, there are ways to get around it. :cool:
 
^ most cable or broadband isp offer business grade services with static ip and allow ports 80 and 25. my isp has the boost package that is 30/10 with 5 static ip, open ports. great service. still cant see how usefull it would be to have a server like that not on the local network. if i was to have 10+ TB of media i would want it locally to stream. have shit always on access.
 
^ most cable or broadband isp offer business grade services with static ip and allow ports 80 and 25. my isp has the boost package that is 30/10 with 5 static ip, open ports. great service. still cant see how usefull it would be to have a server like that not on the local network. if i was to have 10+ TB of media i would want it locally to stream. have shit always on access.

Did you guys read any of my posts?

If you did, you'd know that I would have TWO Galaxy 5.0's in a mirror configuration... one offsite and the other onsite. A private network would sync the two together so that the offsite always has the most up to date content.
 
He's probably got dark fiber and plans to run 10GE over it - but he's too modest to brag ;)

Seriously though Ockie, what kind of replication are you looking into - periodic file-based, periodic block level, or continuous block level? Also, are you thinking about doing it in user space, software between the file system and the host RAID, or elsewhere ...I don't know if there are any host RAID controllers that do async or semi-sync remote mirroring, but there's definitely a market for such a beast.
 
I wish I had dark fiber, if I lived closer or more in a business area I would be so all over it... then I could dump my internet connection here and enjoy one big pipe.


All: I have just purchased a case for the galaxy backup project. It will be dubbed Galaxy 4.75 as it will not exactly mirror my space, but it will give me some backup meduim for important files. The goal of this backup project is to yield decent/high performance while being silent (read: silent) and cheap.
 
WOOT!

It took me four days to read thru all 17 pages.

Great project. Thanks for documenting your Galaxy project in such detail. This thread has given me some ideas for my low budget server project. Thanks!



 
Ockie, I am starting a build using the SC846-E1 case and X7DWN+ MB. What are you using for heatsinks? The air shroud that comes with the chassis doesn't quite work with stock Intel active heatsinks.
 
Ockie, I am starting a build using the SC846-E1 case and X7DWN+ MB. What are you using for heatsinks? The air shroud that comes with the chassis doesn't quite work with stock Intel active heatsinks.

You have the 846 with the expander already? Are you planning to use sata disks? Have you tested it yet? I heard secondhand from Supermicro tech support via a friend that this case supposedly doesn't work with sata disks, only SAS. I think they're talking out of their hats---it should work fine---but I'd still like to hear confirmation that it works from someone with the case in hand.
 
Ockie, I am starting a build using the SC846-E1 case and X7DWN+ MB. What are you using for heatsinks? The air shroud that comes with the chassis doesn't quite work with stock Intel active heatsinks.

You need to take the fan off your heatsink and use it as is. Ideally you should have bought the passive 2u heatsinks which are more ideal for this application. The Active/1U heatink (heatsink only) will still work great due to the amount of air flow that the case produces.

Also, I don't know if you have bought your motherboard yet, but I am selling mine.
 
unhappy_mage, I have both WD1000FYPS and WD5000YS drives working via the E1 backplane and a Supermicro AOC-USAS-H4iR.

Ockie, already bought the MB, didn't like the temps without the fans on the HS's. Found some of the 2U Intel copper HS's on eBay, hopefully will work. The stock HS's would probably have worked with the wind tunnel, but I run SETI and couldn't resist putting a bit of electrical tape under the CPU for a 1600FSB.
 
unhappy_mage, I have both WD1000FYPS and WD5000YS drives working via the E1 backplane and a Supermicro AOC-USAS-H4iR.

Awesome, thanks for confirming this works! Time to start saving my pennies, I guess.
 
Can't wait to see Galaxy with new Western digital 2TB drives

:eek::eek::D

Go Go Ockie !! :p
 
Can't wait to see Galaxy with new Western digital 2TB drives

:eek::eek::D

Go Go Ockie !! :p

Damn, I knew someday or later I will have to update the fanclub. Yes, I am thinking of a new build, but to be realistic, anything larger than this would be a major money eater.

As for the 2.0 drives, I will be updating my drives from 1tb to 2.0, that should effectivley give me twice the capacity of storage, which would be great.
 
Damn, I knew someday or later I will have to update the fanclub. Yes, I am thinking of a new build, but to be realistic, anything larger than this would be a major money eater.

As for the 2.0 drives, I will be updating my drives from 1tb to 2.0, that should effectivley give me twice the capacity of storage, which would be great.

Ockie:

Where are you at these days in terms of global storage space??
 
Nice bump. :cool:

Damn, 2 TB hard drives are coming out? Cool - then the 1.5 TB ones should soon fall below a C note. :)
 
Back
Top