Post your Speaker setup PICS!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pinipig nice set up man. I used to be an audiophile, until I decided it was just all too expensive for me. What I hate about audio is its so hard to be satisfied. I eventually figured out that my tastes outclass my budget, and after dropping like 10k into a rig and still not being happy, I just quit. Never did like electrostats though, too thin sounding. I always liked speakers with a lot of punch and body.

Anyway nice setup

forgive the HUGE mess i swear I'm planning on cleaning today honest.
IMG_0445.jpg

i use this setup for PC and Home Theatre.
IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

most of it i have modded, fixed, tweaked, or otherwise "hot rodded"

Amps:
Sony STR-DE995 (boxing day special UBER CHEAP! and the bitch infront of me got the last Marantz)
IMG_0441.jpg

Sub amp: Free QSC EX4000 Pro Audio amp, was broke now its fixed ~$50 bucks in parts MSRP new was well over 4 grand puts out ~4000W @2ohms bridge mono. this proved too much for my sub so i run 8ohms bridge mono it will still knock the house down if you let it. *edit* oh it will also trip 15Amp breakers at full output ;)
IMG_0444.jpg

Sub: custom made 15" Adire Audio Tempest driver, big friggin sealed box (dont remember exact volume i got the plans somewhere. sound sooooo good. cost ~$400 sounds better in an A-B test then ~$5000 Tannoy Reference Subs and yes i have other peoples testaments to that

DVD: Toshiba thingy meh

HTPC: cheapo sempron, W/ 650GB HDD for movies, games, recorded tv whathaveyou
IMG_0439.jpg

Mains: bose 802-II pro loudspeakers, i reconned all the drivers (32 in total i have 4 boxes, 2 not in use) cost FREE, reconning kits ~$300
Modded in a silk dome tweater for more high end. sound much better now.
IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

Rears: Behringer passive studio monitors 8 3/4" woofers, 1" aluminum dome, lots of highs from these. i got them for cheap since i work for a sound company No mods yet. i really like them for the cost. SUCK IT GENELEC! sorry
IMG_0447.jpg

there you have it the most bad ass ghetto sound system ever

EDIT: and DAMN after looking at those picture is my gear ever DIRTY!

I bet that Tempest does a number on that tv you have sitting there next to it. :D

nope no interference at all actually
to be honest the Bose do a little wiggle to the top edges of the tv. but havent noticed anything from the sub.

oh and just for the record ADIRE AUDIO ROCKS

im planning on building a custom center channel in the future. probably going to go WMTMW with adire audio Extremis 6.8
http://www.adireaudio.com/Home/ExtremisMidwoofers.htm
Creative Sound Solutions WR125S for mids
and either an usher dome or a ribbon for highs

probably gonna base it around this design
http://www.adireaudio.com/Home/KITLCR.htm

Either that or buy two more of the Behringers and sit them on top of the TV in a WTTW configuration

Here are my speakers. The only time i ever use them is when i watch a movie and im laying on my bed.
PICT0024.jpg

MetalDwarf said:
oh and just for the record ADIRE AUDIO ROCKS

no argument from me there.. heh.. I love my Tempest. I built mine on the monster 210L plans from Adire. over 8cf. Here's the worklog.

Pinipig523 said:
I work hard and I play hard. All this didnt happen overnight you know. I didnt just wake up and decide that I wanted $10,000 speakers. I started from a pair of Cyber Acoustics $29.99 PC speakers that had a 4" sub and I thought I was KING of the WORLD. Then I moved up to $50 PC speakers, then to $100 Philips ones, then to the Klipsch 4.1 $200 ones. Then I started to move up to real speakers... I just kept buying and selling for little loss.

Then I began to put more and more money into the audio gear - as I accumulated cash from summer jobs and what not. Then before you knew it, I had enough to get the lower end Martin Logans, then the middle end, then the top of the line Summits.

The thing you have to understand about audio is it is NOT like the PC/Car hobby where you buy at a premium and sell for a loss. In audio, if you buy good solid gear at used prices, usually you will NOT lose money on resale.

So if you start with good gear and you slowly upgrade along the way while adding more money each time, you'll get to some pretty high end stuff within 3-4years. I started into this audio hobby 4 years ago exactly this month. In September of 2002, my GF bought me the Klipsch 4.1 that started everything.

buy used, sell at same price. Keep adding on along the way.

YEA RIGHT!

anybody else here work hard the last four years of their life and have a pair of $10,000 speakers and take them to college?
nice try buddy.. daddy has got your back.. I don't want ot hear any more of your BS
"I work hard and play hard"... cute, real cute

J-M-E said:
Pinipig nice set up man. I used to be an audiophile, until I decided it was just all too expensive for me. What I hate about audio is its so hard to be satisfied. I eventually figured out that my tastes outclass my budget, and after dropping like 10k into a rig and still not being happy, I just quit. Never did like electrostats though, too thin sounding. I always liked speakers with a lot of punch and body.

Anyway nice setup

Thanks!

Electrostats can sound thin.... if it's low end stats. The high end ones are far better balanced.... plus no box coloration and mids to die for. Stage depth and width is nuts, especially if you have the room for it. It's weakness may be that it isnt able to give a point-specific image for vocals, but that's unrealistic if you have ever heard a live person sing (or have someone just talk infront of you).... which in this case, it may not be a weakness.

Pinipig523 said:
Thanks!

Electrostats can sound thin.... if it's low end stats. The high end ones are far better balanced.... plus no box coloration and mids to die for. Stage depth and width is nuts, especially if you have the room for it. It's weakness may be that it isnt able to give a point-specific image for vocals, but that's unrealistic if you have ever heard a live person sing (or have someone just talk infront of you).... which in this case, it may not be a weakness.

are you telling me binaural recording is based on something that doesnt exist..?

Omegaslast said:
are you telling me binaural recording is based on something that doesnt exist..?

When did Pinipig523 bring binaural recordings into the picture? His point was that, in real life, it is unrealistic to be able to pinpoint with micro-level accuracy, a voice that is coming from someone standing in front of you.

I am neither agreeing nor disagreeing with the above statement; I am only pointing out that you cannot derive the opinion stated by Omegaslast, based on what Pinipig523 said.

I dont feel like posting a lot of pix right now

dsc02907ji2.jpg

dsc02915lr4.jpg

Thats 100% pure bred SVS bass right there

With, apparently, no grate on it, and your feet right next to it :eek: I think I'd be looking into a grate sooner or later, so you don't accidentally put a dent in the speaker cone.

Omegaslast said:

Huh? You lost me.

SysteX said:
When did Pinipig523 bring binaural recordings into the picture? His point was that, in real life, it is unrealistic to be able to pinpoint with micro-level accuracy, a voice that is coming from someone standing in front of you.

I am neither agreeing nor disagreeing with the above statement; I am only pointing out that you cannot derive the opinion stated by Omegaslast, based on what Pinipig523 said.

Exactly my point, you hit it on the head.

pelayostyle said:
Here are my speakers. The only time i ever use them is when i watch a movie and im laying on my bed.
PICT0024.jpg

You put your case ontop of you subwoofer? o_O

SysteX said:

point-specific is all relative

does he mean that you cant hear the vocalist straight in front of you?? or you cant raise your arm up and point your finger where the vocailsts mouth is?

i was thinking of the former

Omegaslast said:
point-specific is all relative

does he mean that you cant hear the vocalist straight in front of you?? or you cant raise your arm up and point your finger where the vocailsts mouth is?

i was thinking of the former

Point specific is not relative. What I meant was that the vocal image is not overly done with electrostats unlike some conventional speakers. You dont get that 2"x2" vocal beam, but what you get is the natural 6"x6" vocal focus that is more representative of real life.

Pinipig523 said:
Point specific is not relative. What I meant was that the vocal image is not overly done with electrostats unlike some conventional speakers. You dont get that 2"x2" vocal beam, but what you get is the natural 6"x6" vocal focus that is more representative of real life.

so youre telling me only electrostats can produce this 6"x6" vocal area (dunno how you came up with that measurement)?

MetalDwarf said:
Mains: bose 802-II pro loudspeakers, i reconned all the drivers (32 in total i have 4 boxes, 2 not in use) cost FREE, reconning kits ~$300
Modded in a silk dome tweater for more high end. sound much better now.
IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

so yo uadded silk dome tweeters *without* replacing the crossover or anything?

usually speakers do not like that

Omegaslast said:
so youre telling me only electrostats can produce this 6"x6" vocal area (dunno how you came up with that measurement)?
I'm not telling you anything. Dont put words in my mouth. Where did I say that? I said "some conventional" and I never said "ONLY electrostats".

Regarding the measurement, it's my perception and electrostats are probably not the only ones which can do this. However, I noticed that with some higher end conventional (woofer/midwoofer/tweeter) speakers with the diamond and beryllium tweeters, they tend to overdo the image and compress it down to a really small ball of vocal projection.

It's not exaclty 6x6 all the time, it depends on the recording. But, some people find this to be a fault of the electrostat when in fact, I think it's a strength.

That's all I'm trying to say, nothing more.

aznx said:
You put your case ontop of you subwoofer? o_O

yea dude, that is an awesome case and I all your stuff in there doesn't need to be vibrating! please move it!!! it freaks me out..

awesome setup.. I love that case

so yo uadded silk dome tweeters *without* replacing the crossover or anything?

im not that dumb. i added an inline highpass for the tweeter
12dB @3.5Khz if i remember correctly

Oh and FYI : the crossovers in Bose 802's is WEIRD *EDIT* ok its not really a crossover as all the drivers are the same, um.. frequency attenuation and bandpass filter is more accurate i guess. but crossover is just easier to say. The drivers are also wired very oddly, funky series parrallel with the Xover

just got this setup this weekend, and i love it so far. reciever is awesome and speakers not bad for 40. the insignias are going back soon though, they were just a stop gap for my yamaha ns333's. no sub yet, soon though. any recomendations for a sub less than 200, preferably, and that has enough power for gaming/movies in a bedroom? looking at the acoustech h100.
I also just got the desk and it is such an improvement over what i had before, amazing.

HK-3480 stereo receiver and Pioneer F1007 CD-Changer (301 CDs!)
260376170_72e9e36182.jpg

my left Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE. The right speaker is similar.
260376167_6a3ca24954.jpg

My favorite poster ever. Officially a part of my speaker setup.
260376171_57a63825e5.jpg

Whole setup
260397917_7e0602e34a.jpg

A good meal to go with good music
260397916_80ce85c275.jpg

AlmostEvil said:
just got this setup this weekend, and i love it so far. reciever is awesome and speakers not bad for 40. the insignias are going back soon though, they were just a stop gap for my yamaha ns333's. no sub yet, soon though. any recomendations for a sub less than 200, preferably, and that has enough power for gaming/movies in a bedroom? looking at the acoustech h100.
I also just got the desk and it is such an improvement over what i had before, amazing.

you dont mind the drivers beeing at difference heights eh?

Chair said:
you dont mind the drivers beeing at difference heights eh?

Yeah... he's right. You should equalize the height of your speakers otherwise you destroy the whole point of stereo imaging.

Joey

sonnybobiche said:
my left Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE. The right speaker is similar.
260376167_6a3ca24954.jpg

I have heard many good things about Ascends.... my local audio pal has the 340SE so I have arranged to audition them. I'm sure they are solid speakers.

Good choice, audiophile. ;)

i got a new monitor, the gateway 2185, and now have more room. so the speakers are at the same height. :p

Fronts.jpg

Rears.jpg

cheap Pioneer surrounds and center with Dayton crossover at 2300khz
Sub.jpg

A joke got out of hand and i ended up with a bunch of "body massagers" :D
position.jpg

PB12-NSD
reciever.jpg

Wires.jpg

Denon AVR-686s, IXOS XHK506 Silver Sub interconnector, Monster 6 channel discrete in, random toslink, cheap zipcorp and crimp on bananas.
set.jpg

banana.jpg

Five 25' DIY cables waiting for funds to join some onix surrounds and center... flexoPET, 16awg quadhelix and dayton bananas.
MCPC.jpg

DVD storage with Z680s for my TV. tryin for a marantz 4600 in a few weeks

digitalmind said:
Harddisks don't really preffer a constant shaking....

The HDDs themselves would probably put out more vibration than that sub...

Do you think his case and everything in it weighs 8 OZs???it wont be shaking its a little sub not an earthquake simulator its perfectly safe.

pfunkman said:
The HDDs themselves would probably put out more vibration than that sub...

Do you think his case and everything in it weighs 8 OZs???it wont be shaking its a little sub not an earthquake simulator its perfectly safe.

I don't think so dude. Just because your case doesn't move doesn't mean your sub isn't effecting the vibrations of your HDs and everything else. You know the head/platter distance is like 10 nanometers or something. That's not exactly a lot of room.

aznx said:
I don't think so dude. Just because your case doesn't move doesn't mean your sub isn't effecting the vibrations of your HDs and everything else. You know the head/platter distance is like 10 nanometers or something. That's not exactly a lot of room.

I dont do think that but your missing the point HDDs are made to handle vibration they put out plenty of it.

It would take some massive vibrations on an earthquake level to affect the HDD its not like everythings sitting lossely inside of the casing its sealed tight.

Just think about what your saying if a tiny sub is going to destroy a HDD then how in the world can there be such a thing as laptops, what they go through is by far worse than a sub...
not to mention Ipods if you can carry a HDD in your pocket while jogging you have nothing to fear from a sub

its the year 2006 HDDs are not built like they where way back when.

pfunkman said:
I dont do think that but your missing the point HDDs are made to handle vibration they put out plenty of it.

It would take some massive vibrations on an earthquake level to affect the HDD its not like everythings sitting lossely inside of the casing its sealed tight.

Just think about what your saying if a tiny sub is going to destroy a HDD then how in the world can there be such a thing as laptops, what they go through is by far worse than a sub...
not to mention Ipods if you can carry a HDD in your pocket while jogging you have nothing to fear from a sub

Laptop hard drives are 2.5" form factor, with proportionally smaller reading arms. That means they're stiffer and deal with shock much, much better. Do you really want to take the chance of destroying your hard drive and data with a head crash?

Also, the vibration hard drives generate is almost exclusively in the left/right direction, not up/down. It's from the platters being unbalanced just a little bit, which makes the whole thing shimmy a smidge. The seeking of the arm also pushes the drive in the opposite direction, which is why suspending drives is bad for them.

Omegaslast: Nice collection! Those Cambridges look like a very fine speaker for the money.

pfunkman said:

Notebook and desktop harddisks are two seperate things. The first is made to be shaken up a little (note that allmost allways if something dies on a laptop it's either the dvd rom drive or the harddisk), the other is not. Moving parts simply don't like outside influences, and harddisks definitely don't like shaking. It was just a warning if in case you didn't know better -- I didn't mean to insult or question your logic. Just a kind reminder that 7200+RPM moving platters don't really fancy heads crashing into them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back