Post your mining rigs!

_r2h :D Just make sure to get you some quality fans pushing air out the front and you will be set.

Imhotep nvidia-smi

e.g.: ""C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI\nvidia-smi.exe" -pl 120"

...were 120 is the TDP you are targeting.

_r2h Either Nidec Gentle Typhoons or Corsair Air Series SP120s. ~70CFM per fan.

However, i just ordered up a set of 3 bgears b-Blaster 218 CFM (per!) fans. If 45dba is too loud, i figure i can cut it down a bit and still easily clear 100+ CFM per unit.

Wonder how many CFM is needed to keep the inside of the case at roughly ambient with the cards running full tilt.

I only did order the bgears fans because i happened to notice their insane CFM. The x3 SP120s or Nidecs do the job @ ~70CFM each.

So, the direct answer is something around 200CFM, or high (by estimate).

I ordered 3 200CFM fans off Digikey (all the ones on computer sites are aimed at being quiet, so they don't move enough air). I did not install them yet as I want to design a temperature controlled buck converter for them so they only run at the speed they need to, but I tested one out and boy does it move lot of air! This is the ones I went with: https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/mechatronics-fan-group/MD1238X12B-FSR/1570-1122-ND/5209819

Has anyone experimented with removing all the plastic shrouding and even the fans from GPUs to fully expose the heat sink? With high active case cooling I wonder if this would actually result in better temps. The issue I have with my cards is the fans run too low, and I can't seem to find any info on how to force them at 100% within Linux.

Just got some more of these cool things. Each one has 256 threads and does 2800h/s on monero or electroneum. all on only 300w each. they dont even need ram too run whitch helps with ddr4 where its at.
FRubp36.jpg

mELkSWA.jpg
gkUnMBW.jpg

I ordered 3 200CFM fans off Digikey (all the ones on computer sites are aimed at being quiet, so they don't move enough air). I did not install them yet as I want to design a temperature controlled buck converter for them so they only run at the speed they need to, but I tested one out and boy does it move lot of air! This is the ones I went with: https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/mechatronics-fan-group/MD1238X12B-FSR/1570-1122-ND/5209819

Has anyone experimented with removing all the plastic shrouding and even the fans from GPUs to fully expose the heat sink? With high active case cooling I wonder if this would actually result in better temps. The issue I have with my cards is the fans run too low, and I can't seem to find any info on how to force them at 100% within Linux.

I'd imagine with the high CFM fans ya'll are planning on running, removing the fans/shrouds from the gpus would actually work fine.

cdabc123, those look sweet, what are they?

Last edited:
I'd imagine with the high CFM fans ya'll are planning on running, removing the fans/shrouds from the gpus would actually work fine.

cdabc123, those look sweet, what are they?

s7200ap boards with intel phi 7250's (68 cores, 272 threads, 16gb cache) in them and to add to the fans i run all passive cards (sky 900's and sky 700's) ~60cfm is more then enough to cool two of the sky 700's and 1 140cfm fan is enough to cool 4 sky 900's if you have some ducting. 200cfm is ALOT you could easily pull of the shrouds make a block with the gpus right next to each other and one fan should be more then enough.

Just got some more of these cool things. Each one has 256 threads and does 2800h/s on monero or electroneum. all on only 300w each. they dont even need ram too run whitch helps with ddr4 where its at.
FRubp36.jpg

mELkSWA.jpg
gkUnMBW.jpg
What is it?

wow! cdabc123 What does the software setup look like for one of those s7200ap rigs?

_r2h I have not really sealed any of my cases fully with weatherstripping, but i do know there is room for improvement on "wind-tunnel proofing" the Rosewill setup to potentiate the 'pull' from back to front.

Wiring can have an impact on air flow, as well as if cards are slotted into the motherboard. I am cutting out venting directly under the GPUs to expedite the heat up and out of the case. I feel it should work well due to the angling of the HSF fins (vertical) on the cards.

Dead zones are generally not an issue with this type of build, either way. However, you cannot go wrong with more CFM!

It's pretty simple software wise. Just stock debian with the mining software on top

i dont remember initial cost. i just have s7200sp modules with whatever phis popped up on ebay

cdabc123

I'm confused on those units.
You say 2800h/s on cryptonite algo? that's about 1/3 faster than an AMD Vega 56, right? (2000mh/s)
But you say one month ROI? I don't even see anything remotely close to that type of pricepoint on ebay!?! Those processors alone are $500+?
The motherboards look to be ~ $650?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-BBS7...023600&hash=item362963ace9:g:howAAOSw9NBaVEcP

Did you just find an unique and extraordinarily low price? It appears to me, at the prices I'm seeing, one would be better off buying an overpriced market value Vega if I wanted to mine cryptonite.

200 watts for 2000MH/s = $800 (vega56)
vs
300 watts for 2800MH/s = $1250 (7200 + PHI)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
cdabc123

I'm confused on those units.
You say 2800h/s on cryptonite algo? that's about 1/3 faster than an AMD Vega 56, right? (2000mh/s)
But you say one month ROI? I don't even see anything remotely close to that type of pricepoint on ebay!?! Those processors alone are $500+?
The motherboards look to be ~ $650?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-BBS7...023600&hash=item362963ace9:g:howAAOSw9NBaVEcP

Did you just find an unique and extraordinarily low price? It appears to me, at the prices I'm seeing, one would be better off buying an overpriced market value Vega if I wanted to mine cryptonite.

200 watts for 2000MH/s = $800 (vega56)
vs
300 watts for 2800MH/s = $1250 (7200 + PHI)

always buy bulk and always buy cheap. :p I was actually one of the people selling the boards and modules for ~$650

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
always buy bulk and always buy cheap. :p I was actually one of the people selling the boards and modules for ~$650

mmmhhhmmm
sounds like someone posting in the hot deals section about a one-off deal they got on Craiglist that isn't repeatable. :troll:

mmmhhhmmm
sounds like someone posting in the hot deals section about a one-off deal they got on Craiglist that isn't repeatable. :troll:

im just answering questions not advertising what you peoples should do :p i take alllll the good deals for myself and then mine on it or resell it as a decent deal to other members :D

im just answering questions not advertising what you peoples should do :p i take alllll the good deals for myself and then mine on it or resell it as a decent deal to other members :D

Yeah I started building my current farm mid 2017 - always kept an eye out on hardforum or reddit or OfferUp for deals. Scored a few dirt cheap 390's that way, was buying brand new 1060's (3GB) for 175 after cashback.... kind of insane where the prices are sitting now funny enough. I started with a single 1070 I mostly gamed with, and from there just kept rolling the profits into more hardware. Very easy to pay off the latest mining rig when you have the previous 16 GPUs' all generating profit as well. My method was a slow snowball method for sure, but there's soooo much less risk should anything go tits up.

Currently sitting at 22 GPU's in the house, winter has been nice and toasty for free here in N. Texas :) It's a fun thought I could turn around and sell off all my hardware for almost double what I paid for it not even counting what I've accumulated mining. Summer is going to be a different story though.

Got my spotswood brackets on order and some rosewell cases sitting at home!

Untitled.png

Got to bring my Lian Li V2000 out of retirement, hence the old school ATI case badge. Man i love this case. Managed to cram 4x1080 Tis and 2x1060 6GB into her. Temps are manageable for now and top out at 70 DegC, keeps the downstairs guest room nice and toasty.

Anyone still building mining rigs? I made a small profit, but just sold one of my rigs. Got 2 7x gpu rigs left. Does not seem very profitable at the moment. Got the itch to rebuild a 3rd rig with 1080ti

Anyone still building mining rigs? I made a small profit, but just sold one of my rigs. Got 2 7x gpu rigs left. Does not seem very profitable at the moment. Got the itch to rebuild a 3rd rig with 1080ti

yup but i got sourses for cheap parts

My mining rig is my humble gaming system with a single 1070 in it. Because I had a 960 and couldn't justify 600 bucks for a 1070 upgrade, except via mining when I'm not playing. :)

I've been wracking my brain to try and figure out how to build a proper mining rig at this point cheap enough to be worth it to me (considering market risk), but I got nothing. Looks like a blast to build one of these things, I just want to do it for the fun of it!

_r2h nice! How are temps/performance?

Higher than I'd like, I tried some 55'ish CFM fans, only have 1060s in there, still need more cfm. So looking around for some 80-100 cfm. If i had a spot to put something stupid loud, I'd just get some 200+ cfm like you and others have done.

My mining rig is my humble gaming system with a single 1070 in it. Because I had a 960 and couldn't justify 600 bucks for a 1070 upgrade, except via mining when I'm not playing. :)

I've been wracking my brain to try and figure out how to build a proper mining rig at this point cheap enough to be worth it to me (considering market risk), but I got nothing. Looks like a blast to build one of these things, I just want to do it for the fun of it!

That's why I got back into the game, just to have fun building a mining rig.

Back