Path of Exile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea i know, i just like to bitch heh

I've chanced so many Royal Circlets and Imperial Skeans and Titanium Spirit Shields...

I've been feeling it for awhile, but I'm WAY overdue for a good roll in this game. Not sure how much longer i can farm without getting anything for it. Probably until my next level. If the stupid RNG would just throw me a friggin bone already...

I understand low drop rates... but THIS low?

Even in D3 a couple of the Legendary items i got were high level and usable.

So right after the patch hit last night I threw on my MF set (which I have many combos of, but this one was 80Quant/270Rarity), jumped to Lunaris 2... the second pack I killed dropped a unique! crap lowbie shield... then not long after just starting in Lunaris 3....another unique! but it was a Redbeak.

But to say the drop rate is too low for the better uniques is kind of a misnomer, its *becoming* too low, due to so many lowbie ones being released every week. Perhaps GGG will apply a weighting to the unique roll such that 62+(?) zones will have lowered chance of the low ones...I wonder if that exists already though??

I'd even be happy with seeing the newer crap-uniques more often, and less of the ones that have been in since early closed beta (I've had 10+ redbeaks, queen's decrees, koams signets, mightflays, and a few others i forget the names of).

The changes coming to fusings look interesting, i think everyone is super happy about the Thorns change, and i'm hoping the "big announcement" for the next patch isn't just the two 4 month leagues and instead something interesting.

I've been farming lunaris 2 for about a week, after the last patch it seems like the lv66 maps are dropping quite often. I've gotten almost 1 every run through, sometimes 2. Though they are just plain maps, its a start.

I'm bascially saving them up till I get enough pts to hit the evasion to armor keystone before I start maps. That should put me up to 15-18K armor with grace, and then I can always pop molten shell for another 4k armor.

I will say melee is challenging, as i have the 100% accuracy keystone i still see myself missing quite often. This makes it very difficult, and have died a few times due to it. Mainly because of my build (sweep), that if it doesn't connect then i just die quickly.

I have sweep 4L'd and im up to 4k dps with it, sweep+physical+multistrike+added fire. Very nice combo until i can 5L or 6L it.

I got two uniques last night:
Chin Sol
Voidhome

Someone might buy the Chin Sol, but I bet i'll be vendoring the voidhome. In a game ALL about farming, who puts those kind of negatives on an item? -rarity and -exp gained? major meh. I can't seeing anyone wanting that.

Also, I purchased a Rime Gaze last night, and with about 10 fusings got it to 4-L. Put it on all stoked and shit... then realized that the 50% reduced ES cooldown recovery is actually a bad thing, and takes me into the negatives.

The only aoe move i use is cold snap, and so i moved it into the helm, but honestly it doesn't seem like that big of a buff. What do people use this helm for? Between the ES recovery nerf and a mediocre concentrated effect passive, i'm pretty disappointed. I thought i'd finally gotten my BiS ice witch helm.

rabble rabble

How often are you actually waiting on the ES cooldown and not just leeching your ES back?

The only time I can think of is Underground Sea when the totem stacks shock on me and I have to run out, but whats another 2.5 seconds?

How often are you actually waiting on the ES cooldown and not just leeching your ES back?

The only time I can think of is Underground Sea when the totem stacks shock on me and I have to run out, but whats another 2.5 seconds?

I have no leach lol, if i want my ES back i wait for it to come back naturally.

Is this not common?

I have no leach lol, if i want my ES back i wait for it to come back naturally.

Is this not common?

I don't use Ghost Reaver myself, but I've buffed my ES recovery quite a bit. Since you don't have a ton of ES or a way to mitigate too much, you may want to look into that. Otherwise, you'll want to ditch low ES items in favor of a larger ES pool. Even if that means losing some dps.

I get by with (totalled) 92,000 zombie hp, 49,500 skellie hp and whatever the hell my 3 spectres have.

What supports are you using with Cold Snap? Are you using AoE passives? Level 15 Concentrated Effect is 64% more damage, which can be significant.

Well with the Rime Gaze, i now have 1708 HP and 2380 ES. (so i am getting up there, woot!)

It would take me 4 points to get to Ghost Reaver, so I'll have to consider that.

How much HP/ES do you have Lenin?

Indeed that 64% increased damage IS pretty significant, but because it's on cold snap which has a cooldown, i don't really feel the effect of the increased damage. I primarily use cold snap for its Freeze proc, coupled with Elemental Proliferation. So currently my helm has Cold snap with Elemental Proliferation, Cold Penetration, and Added Cold Damage.

I thought about swapping the added cold damage with increased AoE to mitigate the reduced radius the helm's bonus applies to Elemental Proliferation and cold snap. What are y'alls thoughts on this? Will increased aoe support gem buff the Elemental Proliferation aoe effect? I'm also not opposed to trying something else out entirely. Maybe now that i have this helm i should try out ice nova? I've tried searching online to find builds that use the Rime gaze, but can't find much.

Last edited:
Elemental proliferation's area will also be reduced with concentrated effect, but not be buffed. You may want to swap that with an increased area of effect support, or get a quality Ice Nova. Like you were thinking.

I'm at about ~1740 hp and 2300 ES. I need new gloves, a new chest and possibly a new hat. The minions allow me to upgrade slower. I don't feel burn if I'm somewhat careful. Luckily, I'm at a set of hp nodes on one side, and a set of ES nodes on the other side of my passive tree. I have all the minion passives I need at the moment, and damage isn't an issue.

Elemental proliferation's area will also be reduced with concentrated effect, but not be buffed. You may want to swap that with an increased area of effect support, or get a quality Ice Nova. Like you were thinking.

I'm at about ~1740 hp and 2300 ES. I need new gloves, a new chest and possibly a new hat. The minions allow me to upgrade slower. I don't feel burn if I'm somewhat careful. Luckily, I'm at a set of hp nodes on one side, and a set of ES nodes on the other side of my passive tree. I have all the minion passives I need at the moment, and damage isn't an issue.

Damn that's not what i wanted to hear lol

So it'll definitely be a challenge to find the right setup for this helm. Has anyone tried Ice nova? I've never seen anyone use it really.

I was using Ice Nova. With the way my FP/Minion combo works, I rarely need that type of AoE anymore. Hell, I rarely use Ice Spear, either. FP with a ton of increased projectile speed and LMP or GMP goes past the edge of the screen and can cover a huge area.

Ice Nova, Faster Casting, Cold Penetration, Increased Criticals works pretty well. Even better if you have big mana regen. With the right crit build, it just crunches large packs.

I have a level 17 12% Q Nova that I could probably part with.

I'll trade for the Chin sol if you can't find a buyer, making a retarded point blank totem build that'll likely fail but for the lulz!!

-------------------------------------------------

Also anyone just starting out or leveling an alt let me know, I have crap tons of uniques to hand out.

Damn that's not what i wanted to hear lol

So it'll definitely be a challenge to find the right setup for this helm. Has anyone tried Ice nova? I've never seen anyone use it really.

Partied with someone that was trying to center a build around Ice Nova. This was around level 60. He said it felt a little underwhelming.

I picked up a ~100% cold dmg 16% cast speed wand yesterday for my FP, bumped me a good 400 dps over what I was using, but spent more than I wanted. Though, cast time is something like 0.36 :) Luckily, post patch map drop rates seem higher and I have about 20 to run this weekend.

Does anyone have a nice pair of ES gloves, dual res?

I have 1 pair of gloves with ES

94 total ES
stats: 23 to dex, 52 to mana, 48 to ES, 13 lightning res, 13 chaos res.

Also have a wand:
implicit 16% spell dmg
Mods: 26% spell dmg, 10% cold dmg, 3-53 lightning dmg, 12 mana, 8 cold res, 10 chaos res,

Partied with someone that was trying to center a build around Ice Nova. This was around level 60. He said it felt a little underwhelming.

Yea--i didn't like it.

I may just have to sell this helm and go back to my old one. Either that or spend 5 points to get Ghost Reaver and waste a socket on lifesteal. Probably would make my survivability go up tho.

I'd even be happy with seeing the newer crap-uniques more often, and less of the ones that have been in since early closed beta (I've had 10+ redbeaks, queen's decrees, koams signets, mightflays, and a few others i forget the names of).

Were any of the Queens decrees decent? (the minion boosts mainly)

I've got a queens decree if your looking for one.

31-52 phys dmg
18% increased accuracy
minions 15% life
minions 14% damage
+1 zombie
+1 spectere
+2 skele
176% skele duration
and of course 25% reduced str req.

Why is that not a one-handed item >_>

And it's an accuracy sword no less... they could have at least made it a staff.

I would love it if uniques could roll on multiple base items. So you could get a unique to fit your armor or weapon type based on what it gives you vs what kind of item it happens to be on.

I'd love it if uniques were actually unique, IE they pulled from a different pool of random stats and modifiers. That way a unique is actually 1 of a kind. Could be an interesting idea...

Set items are basically missing from PoE, which would add a whole new layer to gameplay. Maybe this is planned for future release :) - Comfirmed this is not the case.

Last edited:
Why is that not a one-handed item >_>

And it's an accuracy sword no less... they could have at least made it a staff.

I would love it if uniques could roll on multiple base items. So you could get a unique to fit your armor or weapon type based on what it gives you vs what kind of item it happens to be on.

If you're 100% minion spammer, it doesn't really matter much that it's a 2h sword. The only real drawback is that you can't carry a shield, but if you're stacking some of the other minion items, shit gets powerful fast. If there were no drawbacks to some of these summoner uniques, the class would be extremely OP. Pure summoners can summon a damn army of minions. I mean, I'm 50/50 summon/pulser and I can summon 22 minions at a time. That's without a Midnight Bargain/Queen's Decree and I skipped some of the minion buff passives as well.

If you're 100% minion spammer, it doesn't really matter much that it's a 2h sword. The only real drawback is that you can't carry a shield, but if you're stacking some of the other minion items, shit gets powerful fast. If there were no drawbacks to some of these summoner uniques, the class would be extremely OP. Pure summoners can summon a damn army of minions. I mean, I'm 50/50 summon/pulser and I can summon 22 minions at a time. That's without a Midnight Bargain/Queen's Decree and I skipped some of the minion buff passives as well.

Yea i just gotta stop resisting their design on Unique items. I would like to see some of the BiS ones toned down though.

It's just frustrating watching my roommate gear out his totem-spec guy in full uniques that really have no drawback, and whenever i try to get one it's like... "oh, well this one is only so-so because X"

His build relies on those uniques, I'd imagine. Your build has a couple available curse based uniques that work fairly well, and some crit based uniques that are incredible. You just have to build around them a little bit. You also get the two curse keystones which come with zero drawbacks. Curse stacking is pretty powerful on its own. You are just stuck with doing all the work by yourself, instead of having support from minions and totems. Therefore you're a little more gear reliant, and it's tough to give anything up when "upgrading".

Did you end up getting a Rathpith, btw?

I've got a queens decree if your looking for one.

31-52 phys dmg
18% increased accuracy
minions 15% life
minions 14% damage
+1 zombie
+1 spectere
+2 skele
176% skele duration
and of course 25% reduced str req.

What item level is it? It's got 2% on damage, which might be good. :D

It's funny when you flood certain bosses with 17 skeletons...the AI doesn't seem to know what to do. :D

Midnight bargain is a bit better, but it's much much more expensive/rare (something like 2 chaos for a cheap Queens and 1 ex for a cheap Midnight :eek:). Having 2 summoners with 20-30 minions can create an almost impervious wall that keeps almost everything away.

It's funny when you flood certain bosses with 17 skeletons...the AI doesn't seem to know what to do. :D

Having 2 summoners with 20-30 minions can create an almost impervious wall that keeps almost everything away.

I love that they added things like prison doors you can summon through. Also, sometimes pathing and geometry can make things really fun where you don't even register on monsters agro list other than the minions you threw at them.

So I'm nearing end-game with my character and starting to work on gear and reading through the forums for what to be doing and I came across this thread in the forum:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/203971/page/1

Most of the other threads concerning working out passable end-game content gear are pretty much the same. I have to admit, I am a bit crushed and really questioning my desire to continue playing as every aspect of the end game grind has brutal odds attached to it that realistically require hundreds of hours of grind to achieve. I just don't think there's enough time in the day to have a job and progress in this game :(.

So I'm nearing end-game with my character

Define "end game". I have a non-optimal build and I'm able to run 70's maps but occasionally die. For the past week or so I've just been playing in a max-magic find set and farming. Basically waiting on another big content update and hoping for a windfall drop.

As far as 6L's go, I don't *need* one, but I'm looking/trying. If you *really* feel like you need one, save up 1-4ex and just buy one.

Midnight bargain is a bit better, but it's much much more expensive/rare (something like 2 chaos for a cheap Queens and 1 ex for a cheap Midnight :eek:). Having 2 summoners with 20-30 minions can create an almost impervious wall that keeps almost everything away.

Yeah you and me summoning skeletons from our totems, most bosses just kinda stand there and not do anything. Even if they decide to do something, the army gets refreshed pretty quickly. I recall after the fight there's usually a pile of corpse-guts on the ground so dense that it chops up my game if I zoom in on it lol.

A minion build is pretty hands-off, especially if you go with another summoner. Most bosses are laughably easy with all the minion talents and 2 or 3 minion uniques.

As for Midnight Bargain, yeah, it's super expensive. If I saw one for 1exalt I'd buy it in a second(I've only ever seen them for quite a bit more than that). You can actually wield two midnight bargain's at once, too. You'd be reserving 60% of your health though...so good luck with that :D With the right build and good gear I'm sure it would work just fine, especially because you'd have an wall of nigh-impenetrable minions traveling with you.

We defeated probably the hardest boss in the game today, Piety on L77 Shrine.
143ur0.jpg

You probably don't want to try that fight unless you're in a group where everyone has > 8k HP with overcapped resists. You can get away with lower stats if your group is efficient at destroying the ice portals, her ice form is very deadly even through 85% resists with no tough map mods.

Bought 1600+ alts today. Now watch me burn through them in less than 24 hours :p
2jhu1x.jpg

This ^ is a level I'm not sure I'll be getting to...wow.

Shame you gotta be a min/max spec just to have a chance against her. HP is king on way too many mechanics.

We defeated probably the hardest boss in the game today, Piety on L77 Shrine.
143ur0.jpg

You probably don't want to try that fight unless you're in a group where everyone has > 8k HP with overcapped resists. You can get away with lower stats if your group is efficient at destroying the ice portals, her ice form is very deadly even through 85% resists with no tough map mods.

Bought 1600+ alts today. Now watch me burn through them in less than 24 hours :p
2jhu1x.jpg

That's crazy. What are your plans for those alts?

Speaking of artwork--i know that they want people to buy their armor styles and place them on items... but i think it would not be wasted time to make uniques look different on your character when equipped.

My buddy got a Scepter drop last night that was:

+20 Elemental Damage
+89 Spell Damage
+9 Cold Damage
+34 Crit Multiplier

among some other stuff. So I swapped to this for the dps gain (1530 > 1700 or somethin on my ice lance)... but this started a chain of events which will force me to replace a lot of gear lol.

The Kris i replaced had Lightening resist, so now i REALLY need that rathpith to fix that up. But if i get the rathpith, then my dmg goes down on my main move so after that i'll either need a 5-L chest or 4-L gloves.

Does anyone have a pair of Sorcerer gloves i could buy for crafting? No one sells high-end ES gloves--very annoying.

Also--I remember reading somewhere that the best way to craft is with Alts/Aug's on a blue, then Regal, then exalt. Is that true? If so, how can it be true with the price of exalts? A yellow with 3 mods is pretty weak.

Have you seen those blues with 3 mods? How does that happen?

To that last set of questions:

At the high end, you take a ilvl 75+ item, Aug it till it has the two primary stats that you absolutely require, then regal. If you regal and get something bad, scour. Once you get it regaled to a good stat, then you exalt the last stats. This is where it gets stupid expensive. Suppose you then exalt and its a trash stat? Scour and start over. I presume the idea is that if you get four of the six stats "perfect", that the last two that you Exalt onto it are just icing on the cake. But still, you're looking at a huge amount of currency.

At your/my level I think we're better off just chaos'ing, but who knows...I crafted some pretty crazy amulets. One of which was an aug/regal/ex craft (still has two spots left), the others were lucky alch/chaos rolls.

As far as magics with 3stats, they are usually a hybrid/combo stat that roll together as one (and should be lower than if they were alone).

Yup, I typically just alch/chaos. Much cheaper that way. I've only had about 5 exalt drops on this character so far, no way I'm risking one on a trash roll. I don't need perfectly rolled items at level 79 anyway.

For gloves, check the shop selling subforum. I saw a few dual/tri resist pairs when I was looking. It doesn't take much currency to 4L if you need to.

That's crazy. What are your plans for those alts?
When you reach true end game maps you need to spend many exalts worth of currency rolling them. Sometimes with bad luck I could spend 80+ alts or 30+ chaos rolling just one map. Depending if I feel like taking the alt-regal-exalt route or just brute force chaos-ing.

If I get bored I might try crafting some of the ilvl78+ stuff I pick up from maps, but I don't recommend that for the average player unless you are prepared to be very disappointed. The RNG of crafting in this game makes it not worth the risk at all.

Also--I remember reading somewhere that the best way to craft is with Alts/Aug's on a blue, then Regal, then exalt. Is that true?
I've occasionally attempted crafting via that method and right now it's just not worth it. That's the general consensus as well. The chances of getting complete bullshit rolls/stats are just too high.

Have you seen those blues with 3 mods? How does that happen?
Some mods have two effects but count as one mod. This spreadsheet is the crafters best friend (click the item type at the top to filter)

I'm only burning ~50 alts or a couple alchs a day on maps, I need to hit a couple more good upgrades before I can spend 1600 a day, woo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back