Path of Exile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks all for that info--it's amazing how after all this time i'm still learning things about the game.

Some mods have two effects but count as one mod. This spreadsheet is the crafters best friend (click the item type at the top to filter)

That is quite a nice reference. Cheers!

I'm only burning ~50 alts or a couple alchs a day on maps, I need to hit a couple more good upgrades before I can spend 1600 a day, woo!

What exactly are you guys trying to get on maps? I typically just go with whatever lands on the map from a Transmutation orb, unless it's something annoying like chaos dmg over time or etheral chains.

Also--Are all drops 100% random? Or are there areas that have a bonus for certain gear? For instance, is there a best place to farm ES gear?

For maps, I try to go with what will give the highest +quantity without getting me killed. Two unique bosses, more rare monsters, more magical monsters, larger pack sizes, monsters resist fire/lightning (I'm cold), physical reflect, area is a maze - are all good mods.

I don't like patches of chilled/burning ground since my minions are pretty stupid. Chaos over time sucks, elemental damage reflect sucks.

I'm not going to alch a sub lvl 70 map, so I transmute/alt/aug until I find a reasonable balance on lower level ones.

There is no "best" spot to farm ES gear, other than the highest level area you can possibly manage.

I'm in full on MF farming mode now, doing Kole runs at ~80quant / 397rar. A rare next to him dropped two uniques at once last night (springleaf shield and geofri's helm). I've gotten a few non-crap rares as well...problem is that i'm way too fragile. I've almost given up on XP'ing, even though the next few points are all huge survivability.

I'm in full on MF farming mode now, doing Kole runs at ~80quant / 397rar. A rare next to him dropped two uniques at once last night (springleaf shield and geofri's helm). I've gotten a few non-crap rares as well...problem is that i'm way too fragile. I've almost given up on XP'ing, even though the next few points are all huge survivability.

What was your build again? I forgot.

Thanks for the info Lenin. I figured it was all random, but you see people asking in general chat sometimes about best place to farm stuff, so i was curious.

lilbabycat--how on earth do you have that much rarity? Did you buy all those pieces or get them to drop? Are you able to farm maps with that set? if so, which level?

I could probably get 200 rarity with gear i have, but i'd likely lose half my damage and if something touched me i'd fall down lol

I figured that after the last patch it'd be worth while to stack as much quantity as possible in order to plow through 66 maps for higher maps. Anyone doing this?

I'm running with 345 mf/40 quant, 500hp-30% ofmax, and 2.6k es. I only have my fire res maxed the rest are -10,-16,-60. I die a lot while running maps, been stuck at lvl 81 for a week or so on this witch, but I don't mind it since I'm just unique hunting.

I did find an andvarius ring, and the aureseize gloves which have helped me get my mf up. Also, even with my stats, in groups, I rarely get map drops because everyone else is killing the mobs before my minions get a chance to. So, I started running my maps alched and solo for now, and have been doing ok thus far.

What was your build again? I forgot.

A disaster. I'm a cast spark, spark totem (used to be arc), high block/spell block, ar/es wearing, high base stats (str/dex/int all 110+), with nodes focusing on crit and shock chance.
Recently been trying out dual curse (via ring) which has helped make the mf-farming a bit easier, though I lose either 15q/25r (rare ring) or 64r (andv ring) from the slot. Still, 50q/300r is nice. The upside to my very hybrid spec is that I can use *anything* and max out almost any gem (my dex gems are sitting at lvl 18 I think), but I'm extremely dependent on the base stats from perandus and my chest (which has a big str roll). So upgrades in the future may also involve scouring some gems, which means dps loss. But if I can up my fire resist a bit (higher max) I can start running RF a little more reliably, which is a nice big boost to dps/
----
For my rarity set:
helm 12q/22r
ammy 16q/26r
andv 73r
andv#2 64r / rare ring15q/25r
gloves 16q/12r
perandus belt 10q
wondertrap boots (100r) or Nubuck (29q)
Rarity gem in my 5L casted spark (58r)

---

edit:
rarely get map drops because everyone else is killing the mobs before my minions get a chance to.
Well theres your problem, no one likes minion specs because they're god awful slow, clutter the screen, and are all around annoying. I'm sure they're absolutely a blast to play though.

Last edited:
I believe that IR and IQ have no effect on map drops, only items.

This is true. The only thing that affects map drops is the inherent %quant on the map itself. That being said, I see more maps drop in group play than solo, not to mention astronomically more drops of other kinds.

The unidentified 30% bonus is something to consider if you can easily farm 67 maps, take 3 magic 66 maps, sell them for an unidentified 67, and hope its mods aren't something stupid like blood magic.

I believe that IR and IQ have no effect on map drops, only items.

oh, that's disappointing.

Does anyone know how to use the extra slots in the map activator? For the longest time i figured you could just throw multiple maps in there and it'd stack their mods or something, but went to try it the other night and couldn't find any combination that would activate.

oh, that's disappointing.

Does anyone know how to use the extra slots in the map activator? For the longest time i figured you could just throw multiple maps in there and it'd stack their mods or something, but went to try it the other night and couldn't find any combination that would activate.

You need to add a fishing rod, bait, and a rhoa feather.

it's crazy that there is shit like this in the game that i've never seen drop.

Where do you get these items? what does it do when you combine it?

I'm not saying I was fucking with you, but I was fucking with you.

We have no idea ATM why there are 4 map slots.

it's crazy that there is shit like this in the game that i've never seen drop.

Where do you get these items? what does it do when you combine it?

there is a long running joke on the forums as to the usage of the albino rhao feathers as being for a fishing rod...then it became "collect a stack and they become a pet", but both are untrue, the feathers have no use atm.

Wonder what those rhoa feathers do. In a recent race where I was playing in, someone found it. People congratulated him but no one knew what the feathers are for, heh.

Wonder what those rhoa feathers do. In a recent race where I was playing in, someone found it. People congratulated him but no one knew what the feathers are for, heh.

It's rumored to be a joke item or something. Can probably trade it for something valuable.

I've never seen one of those or that mirror item. :D

I swear my roommate's luck is getting old =P

He just got a Lioneye's to drop... already 6 socketed too.

He was looking at one-socketed ones going for 26 Exalts.

F'n nuts.

Have him give you a few exalts. You should be able to get a decent 5L ES chest for around 2-4.

Have him give you a few exalts. You should be able to get a decent 5L ES chest for around 2-4.

Most definitely in my plans ^_^

edit: i just did some looking around, I don't think they're worth as much as he was talking about. 30ex for 6-L, more like 4-6 exalt for nothing.

Still, a good drop but nowhere near the level i thought it was.

Last edited:

edit: i just did some looking around, I don't think they're worth as much as he was talking about. 30ex for 6-L, more like 4-6 exalt for nothing.

htf do people get so much ex? im 76 and i only found 1 so far and that was back in the 50 range, my brother is 72 and he has yet to find any

Huge awesome change to loot allocation. FINALLY! Party leader picks free for all, short timer, or perment allocation. Yay!

They used to be worth that much, but the value has been dropping a for a while now. Between increased unique drop rates, people chancing them, and so forth. Still an amazing bow.

Huge awesome change to loot allocation. FINALLY! Party leader picks free for all, short timer, or perment allocation. Yay!

Yep, great news. It's the best solution to accommodate different player's style or approach to party loot.

Yep, and I can avoid L2N groups, which will be filled with complete idiots / leechers who just sit in the back waiting for shinies to drop.

htf do people get so much ex? im 76 and i only found 1 so far and that was back in the 50 range, my brother is 72 and he has yet to find any
Character wealth is not built up by waiting for high end currency like exalts to drop, but by the accumulation of low end currency over a period of time. Of course there are the lucky exceptions like a Kaom's dropping, but for most players you would accumulate then trade your currency upwards.

Character wealth is not built up by waiting for high end currency like exalts to drop, but by the accumulation of low end currency over a period of time. Of course there are the lucky exceptions like a Kaom's dropping, but for most players you would accumulate then trade your currency upwards.

yea you either:

- farm Alteration Shards
- get lucky on exalt drops
- get lucky unique drop that's worth a lot
- spend real money

I still am shocked on a daily basis how low they actually made the currency drop rate. I did 5 66 maps yesterday among a docks run, a fellshrine run, and a catacomb run. Got probably 8 Augmentation, 2 Alteration, 1 Jewellers, 1 Fusing, and 1 Alch.

Pretty fuckin' rubbish. I was downright begging the game to give me something good last night. Like my buddy's ex wife though, my pleas fell on deaf ears :(

Stoked to hear about this!

Have they said anything about adding trading posts yet?

I finally grabbed a pair of ilvl 78 Sorcerer gloves to craft up. 3 Chaos, not too bad imo. Here's hopin' i finally get lucky on an alch/chaos.

I think you must have been a Nazi in a previous life choko. Your luck is shit.

lol, yea. I'm starting to wonder what i did in my previous lives to deserve this :p

Maybe it's my level. When they buffed the world mob levels, did they remove the cap on how high your character is considered to be in maps? Like, i'm 77 farming 66 maps. IIRC, there was a cap so that no matter how high you are, the game treated you like a 68. Perhaps they removed that.

Nope, you're still treated as level 68 for drops I think.

I have minimal +quantity and only about 90 +rarity, though I often toss a quantity support on one of my skills before doing a normal farm. I pull in probably almost double the currency vs. what you got from a farm like that. I do use recipes, but sometimes I honestly can't be bothered and just straight vendor my whole inventory.

Nope, you're still treated as level 68 for drops I think.

I have minimal +quantity and only about 90 +rarity, though I often toss a quantity support on one of my skills before doing a normal farm. I pull in probably almost double the currency vs. what you got from a farm like that. I do use recipes, but sometimes I honestly can't be bothered and just straight vendor my whole inventory.

Yea i really need to get a quant get on my main move. Only running 13%, so that's probably my problem.

Other than the chaos recipe, what recipes do you use?

Yea i really need to get a quant get on my main move. Only running 13%, so that's probably my problem.

Other than the chaos recipe, what recipes do you use?

Sometimes alchemy. 3rare/2name

And the obvious massive amount of chromatics. I think I have like 300.

Sometimes alchemy. 3rare/2name

And the obvious massive amount of chromatics. I think I have like 300.

Oh yea the chromatic one I use all the time, same with the 7 jewellers for a 6-socketed.

For the alchemy one, do you mean this?

X of a Kind
These recipes require multiple identified rare items with the same name.
Result Identified rare items with same name
Orb of Chance ×1 2
Orb of Alchemy ×1 3

What do they mean by 'same name'? Like exact mods and everything?

Speaking of orbs, I'm not sure if this has been discussed (sorry if it was) but the dev has been taking feedback on a possible changes to to way Fusing/Jeweler work.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/380212

What happens is if your armor has quality, the quality will help increase your chances of getting a better result when crafting socket/links. But the flip side is that each fusing or jeweller will set the quality to 0, and so you're back to normal chances with subsequent tries unless you increase the quality again with armorer's scrap.

I think armorer's scrap will be more valuable if this change is implemented. I'm certainly saving them up to give my 600 ES armor a try for 5L or 6L later, lol.

Anyway just a heads up for anyone who isn't aware of it yet.

That'd be interesting, depending on how significant it is, rare drops might be useless. It'd be easier to roll with whites until you got a coveted 6l, then chance it.

isn't the name of an item extremely random? You'd have to hoard on an entirely new level.

Names are fairly random, yes. I usually pick names arbitrarily or from ones I see more often. I do not hoard every damn rare :p

Doing 2rare/2name 20% quality works. As does 1 rare, 1 magic and 1 normal of same base type and with 20% quality each.

I do hoard pretty hard, at least sometimes. Not after a couple drinks, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back