Path of Exile

Status
Not open for further replies.
The barter system of the economy is a really interesting mechanic, but item trade in values relative to inventory size and barter item "value" basically suck ass, IMO. All white items are worth 1 identify scrap, regardless of size, type, or quality. A small health bottle that takes 2 inventory squares is worth the same 1 scrap as is the ironshod battlestaff that takes up 8 squares. You need 5 of these scraps/items in order to make 1 identify scroll - which are needed to identify/use/get full value for the blue items. Now you *can* sell the blues unidentified, but you will only ever get 1 magic scrap out of them that way. 3 magic scraps can be traded for 1 identify scrap, or if you save 20 magic scraps together, they can be turned in for 20 identify scraps (4 full scrolls). At best, then, unidentified blues have the same value as whites, at worst, they are only 1/3rd as valuable. Now, identifying the blues (at a cost of 5 whites each) does not guarantee you a higher value trade. Most identified blues end up being worth the same as the unidentified, though the ones with the best magical modifiers or the ones with the most magical mods *can* raise the value from 1 magic scrap to 2 or 3. In some rare cases you can get up to 4 or 5 magic scraps from a really good identified blue. Best case (unless you plan on wearing the item) is you make back the same value in scraps as you spent in identifying it. In most cases, you lose 4/5th the value you invested. Now, to aggravate this even further, the player inventory is so small that even carrying a full haul of whites for trade, you'll usually only get 1 - 1.5 identify scrolls. Having to cart in a full load of trash for each item you want to identify is pretty ridiculous, in my opinion.

How I would fix it: I think that most of my gripe with the above could be remedied by making the scrap value of the items relative to their inventory size. If you made each item worth its inventory size divided by 3 rounded to the nearest non-zero whole number, I think you'd get a fairer value for them relative to their cost in inventory size for hauling them around. This would give the following base values per size: 2 - 4 squares worth 1 scrap, 6 squares worth 2 scraps, 8 squares worth 3 scraps. This would carry over to the magic scraps for the blues as well. In case of the higher value blues, their scrap values would be multiplicative (i.e. a 6 square blue that currently gives 2 scraps would instead give 4 scraps. The best 8 square blue in the game would give 15 scraps).

My other big gripe is with the stat allocation system (the "passive skill tree" as it's called in game). For each level up you achieve, you get a bit more health, a bit more mana, and that's about it. Your other base stats remain the same. You do get, however, a "skill point" to spend, but it's more accurate to liken it to what we more commonly think of as stat allocation points. If I want more intelligence, I can "buy" 10 intelligence by spending 1 skill point on a blue circle. 10 strength for a red circle, and 10 dex for a green. There are other stat modifiers you can buy later on, but this is the basics of it. My problem is, that you can not always buy the points you need when you need them. For example, I am playing a ranger, but am also using a few intelligence-based mage spells. Whenever I hit an intelligence deficiency on the spell leveling, I go to buy another 10 intelligence. Last time I wanted to get more, however, the nearest blue circle was behind 3 other green circles that I'd have to buy first before I got far enough down that path to get to another blue section. Now since dexterity is a ranger's bread-and-butter, those points aren't truly "wasted" for me, but i certainly feel they could have been invested better than just serving to unlock the blue section I was trying to get to.

As far as how to "fix" this one - I don't know - I guess maybe the skill tree just needs to be tweaked/redesigned some more.

The other things I find fault with are closer to minor irritants than anything else I guess. The minimap is hard to use, hard to see, and clutters up the rest of your view (unless there are some other options to manipulate its size/location/opacity that I have not run across yet). Level/area design(layout) seems almost "haphazard" a lot of the time. It seems like their random terrain generator could use some tweaking as well. Unless there is a town portal spell I have yet to find, keeping a constant supply of portal scrolls is going to be really irritating (cost 3 identify scrolls). Finally, the quest system is the same uninspired "click past text when you see the exclamation mark" drivel that we've seen a hundred times before. Hopefully the NPCs and their quests will at least be getting some voice-overs done before release.

Now, having said all that, I AM really enjoying the game and think that a lot of what they've done is really neat and fun to play. I especially like the spell gems/socketing system and the fact that it allows anyone to use any spell they want to (to some degree - a fair few of them have specific item class requirements that would conflict with item reqs from other class paths).

Final assessment - not better, not worse - still fun to play, but very different from more traditional ARPGs like D3.

You suck for using yellow color!! :p As a mod, you should know that the mobile background is white :cool:

Anyway, the economy IMO is fine where it is. From where I sit, white items are really only useful for crafting, otherwise they aren't worth picking up. I never ID magical items either, unless I'm after something specific (say, I'm missing a ring, or another item while building my character). The inventory space is adequate too, especially stash (and they don't make you pay for every 14 squares like some other game, that shall remain anonymous :p). As for ID scrolls, every time I head out on a quest I find at least 5-10 scrolls in every area, which is enough to keep ID'ing whatever there is worth to ID, so I'm not sure where are you encountering the problem of inadequate number of scrolls. But, that's just my personal take on things.

I don't really get your gripe with the passive skill tree, however. It's no different than any other game with similar mechanic. Hell, take D2 for example. If you had 50str, and needed 80 to use your next weapon, a single level up wasn't going to fix that. You can't "buy" 30 points, you have to level up again, and again. With PoE, the wait time to use that next items is equivalent in level ups/time need, but at least you have few 'paths' you can take to get to your destination which will allow you to customize the character the way you want; with D2, it was "well.. shit, I guess my next 5 lvl'ups are all going to str". There are few other things to hate about the system, but that's really not one of them, IMO.

For minimap, there's an opacity slider inside the options panel, and I think you can move it around too, not sure on that one, however. Town Portal scrolls drop everywhere at a similar rate to ID scrolls. Dunno, maybe it's a different play style, but unless you try to pick up each and every item you find, and sell it immediately, then this game isn't for you. I guess torchlinght/D3 is more to your liking on that part, but even then, I don't see the need to pick up everything in those games either.

Unless there is a town portal spell I have yet to find, keeping a constant supply of portal scrolls is going to be really irritating

There is a Portal skill gem. And as I progressed through later difficulties I found myself having an excess of Portal scrolls before I found the gem.

PoE is fantastic but alas it is in a true closed beta state and I do not feel there is enough content to form a coherent opinion about it.

You suck for using yellow color!! :p As a mod, you should know that the mobile background is white :cool:

Anyway, the economy IMO is fine where it is. From where I sit, white items are really only useful for crafting, otherwise they aren't worth picking up. I never ID magical items either, unless I'm after something specific (say, I'm missing a ring, or another item while building my character). The inventory space is adequate too, especially stash (and they don't make you pay for every 14 squares like some other game, that shall remain anonymous :p). As for ID scrolls, every time I head out on a quest I find at least 5-10 scrolls in every area, which is enough to keep ID'ing whatever there is worth to ID, so I'm not sure where are you encountering the problem of inadequate number of scrolls. But, that's just my personal take on things.

I don't really get your gripe with the passive skill tree, however. It's no different than any other game with similar mechanic. Hell, take D2 for example. If you had 50str, and needed 80 to use your next weapon, a single level up wasn't going to fix that. You can't "buy" 30 points, you have to level up again, and again. With PoE, the wait time to use that next items is equivalent in level ups/time need, but at least you have few 'paths' you can take to get to your destination which will allow you to customize the character the way you want; with D2, it was "well.. shit, I guess my next 5 lvl'ups are all going to str". There are few other things to hate about the system, but that's really not one of them, IMO.

For minimap, there's an opacity slider inside the options panel, and I think you can move it around too, not sure on that one, however. Town Portal scrolls drop everywhere at a similar rate to ID scrolls. Dunno, maybe it's a different play style, but unless you try to pick up each and every item you find, and sell it immediately, then this game isn't for you. I guess torchlinght/D3 is more to your liking on that part, but even then, I don't see the need to pick up everything in those games either.

Hadn't actually occurred to me that the mobile background was white, heh.

As far as the inventory/economy goes, I suppose if I got over wanting/needing to see what's "under the curtain" on any blue that I'm not interested in immediately equipping, then the trade value might not seem as bad. It still seems ridiculous to me that size and item type makes absolutely no difference in trade value. As far as finding scrolls go, I'm finding 1-2 per outing on average it seems...maybe I've just been unlucky in that regards. I will agree that the stash in PoE is much better than the one in the other beta I'm playing right now. This one is shared across characters as well, yes?

As far as the skill tree goes, my point was that in D2 I could put points into intelligence whenever I wanted to, and in PoE, I can't. However someone on a different forum pointed out that since any spell gem can be used by any profession type, it isn't *supposed* to be easy for my ranger to add intelligence points. That you can do it yes, but since it is outside your profession, there should be a penalty involved. I hadn't thought about it like that before their comment, and I have to say that it makes sense. Still irritating when I'm trying to level an int spell, but it makes sense now.

Will also have to go looking for those minimap controls (stupid chores and work taking my game time!) and keep my eye out for the TP gem (what color is it?).

Hadn't actually occurred to me that the mobile background was white, heh.

As far as the inventory/economy goes, I suppose if I got over wanting/needing to see what's "under the curtain" on any blue that I'm not interested in immediately equipping, then the trade value might not seem as bad. It still seems ridiculous to me that size and item type makes absolutely no difference in trade value. As far as finding scrolls go, I'm finding 1-2 per outing on average it seems...maybe I've just been unlucky in that regards. I will agree that the stash in PoE is much better than the one in the other beta I'm playing right now. This one is shared across characters as well, yes?

As far as the skill tree goes, my point was that in D2 I could put points into intelligence whenever I wanted to, and in PoE, I can't. However someone on a different forum pointed out that since any spell gem can be used by any profession type, it isn't *supposed* to be easy for my ranger to add intelligence points. That you can do it yes, but since it is outside your profession, there should be a penalty involved. I hadn't thought about it like that before their comment, and I have to say that it makes sense. Still irritating when I'm trying to level an int spell, but it makes sense now.

Will also have to go looking for those minimap controls (stupid chores and work taking my game time!) and keep my eye out for the TP gem (what color is it?).

Why are you trying to level blue gems for a ranger? I can understand your frustration, seeing as rangers aren't supposed to be using blue gems to begin with. The first think you do when you start your character, hit C, look at your base stats. The ranger has higher dexterity so you need to use the dexterity tree. If you are trying to get more mana you don't need to. It scales with your level so there is no need.

I must say after tryied the D3 beta a few hours i wasnt impressed with muchreally... felt very easy and where are all the skills etc...? thats right there arent many they really have made this game so easy an old grandma can play this game its ridicilous i dont know what the hell they have been making all years except for nerfing the game to a kids level..

I have more fun in the path of exile beta 2 months almost now and i think the graphics are much better, more dark and realistic where in d3 its way too cartoonish like wow/sc2 is and thats a shame since this is supposed to be a dark and grim game.

Why are you trying to level blue gems for a ranger? I can understand your frustration, seeing as rangers aren't supposed to be using blue gems to begin with. The first think you do when you start your character, hit C, look at your base stats. The ranger has higher dexterity so you need to use the dexterity tree. If you are trying to get more mana you don't need to. It scales with your level so there is no need.

Got some kind of localized AoE frost/ice nova fairly early on that's proven to be pretty effective at de-trolling me if I get mobbed. Have kept it up cause it's been nice to have. Has also let me play with the firestorm one you get from that guy on the beach, as well as try out a few others I've run across (none worth swapping out one of my 2 blue slots yet atm).

I think it's great that you can build a hunter caster. Just one more reason this game owns.

Definitely interested in playing this a lot this weekend, hopefully I can get a friend or two to join me. Are they still giving additional beta keys out to people that are already in the beta?

I downloaded. I figure I got nothing else to do tonight. So why not at least screw around in this game for a bit. I got my start time at work moved back on Saturday so I can burn the late night candle ;)

I will hopefully get to try it. Probably on Sunday as I have oblations tonight and all day tomorrow :(.

I must say after tryied the D3 beta a few hours i wasnt impressed with muchreally... felt very easy and where are all the skills etc...? thats right there arent many they really have made this game so easy an old grandma can play this game its ridicilous i dont know what the hell they have been making all years except for nerfing the game to a kids level..

You've played the 30 minute tutorial of D3.

Got some kind of localized AoE frost/ice nova fairly early on that's proven to be pretty effective at de-trolling me if I get mobbed. Have kept it up cause it's been nice to have. Has also let me play with the firestorm one you get from that guy on the beach, as well as try out a few others I've run across (none worth swapping out one of my 2 blue slots yet atm).

They have AOE greens.

Really liking it so far. I know this is kinda like the antichrist, but why oh why does it have to be online? Why can't they just make it singleplayer? The one thing that's bugging me is the lag. (Click, sword swings... nothing happens... monster dies)

The first thing that happened when I logged in was I was just assaulted with people speaking in the general chat. Stuff, I, and really no one else cares about. (OMG just owned that boss!!)

My main issues with PoE are that the camera is in far too close with no way to zoom out, and because the camera is so zoomed-in the angle feels extremely steep and restrictive.

Hopefully they decide to fix that stuff.

Path of Exile is fucking amazing.

The Skill Galaxy is insane....Reminds me of the Witcher 2 but much, much larger.

I'm here to report this games pretty awesome. The fact that it's free is just icing on the cake. I suggest yall jump in to try it on the beta weekend.

Downloading it now...I'm a bit pumped for this, I've heard some good things. Will I need a beta key to keep playing past this weekend?

I didn't think the game was bad. I don't know how much I will play this weekend though because I always tend to burn myself out before the game even launches.

Unless I missed it, I wish they had the option for a mini-map. I didn't care for the full size map. I found it difficult to see.

The melee felt a little slow and clunky. I especially found it difficult to target sometimes so it seems like the target box needs to be larger.

The currency model was kind of interesting, but I found I ran out of identifiers quickly. I also found I left a ton of loot on the ground since I had yet to find a quick way to and from the town.

Been playing PoE pretty solidly since the public stress test went live. I still cannot believe this game is F2P! The production values rival that of many AAA titles.

If you're having trouble with the map overlay, you can reduce the opacity in the options.

Identify scrolls are hard to come by in the early stages of the game, but once you get rollin' there is an abundance of them!

A lot of the loot can just be ignored. Much of it doesn't have any tangible value. I liked the options to only display magic and rare items and filter out the white items.

It was great spotting the New Zealand references in the game like Paua Necklace and the Toetoe grass along the beaches :) That was a nice touch

Played through acts 1 & 2 with my templar... Trying to figure out how to start the next difficulty since act 3 isn't in-game yet.

I was running along a beach when I ran into the corpse of a drowned baby. I was shocked, then immediately thought to myself... Yep, this ain't Diablo 3. They did not pull any punches on the grim nature of the game, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

If you use the skill gems, with properly socketed items you can create some ridiculous abilities. I was killing rare and boss mobs @ level 25 on normal with 1 hit with a modified glacial blow + phase run and a decent mace.

Fantastic game. Totally surprised me.

I just started playing tonight and I had a lot more fun with this than the D3 beta.
Wish I could zoom the camera out more tho and the map overlay colors don't work for me in some locations.

Man I was playing though this prison area, and I totally had a Diablo 1 flashback.

It was awesome, the music was dark, lots of drumming. The environment was creepy, blood stains, broken furniture chains ect. The light radius was really low so you could barley see things until they were right on you.

I can't say enough about the skill and runestone system. Seems like they took the Materia system from FF7 and the skill tree from the Witcher 2 and FF10 and smashed em together. It is so awesome. You can follow any path you choose. I had my Hunter using a bow and casting spells!

IMO this game is going to give Diablo 3 a serious run for its money and it blows Tourchlight away.

This is a lot better than I expected. I would pay for this no problem. Do I think its better than D3? For me no. It is lacking a lot of polish that D3 has. It is also not as smooth / fluid. D3 just "feels" better to me. The experience is very disjointed in terms of progression. You finish the first few quests then you have no idea where to go so you just start wandering and going forward. I mentioned the passive skill tree looked complicated it actually isn't all that bad after using it but I still think it is needlessly "extravagant".

I also like the skill gem idea. Though their implementation of how the gem level and how you have to actually click level up on the gem could be explained better. I went who knows how long without noticing that little + for my first two gems at the bottom of the inventory.

That being said I have still had a lot of fun and it is definitively scratching that arpg itch while I wait for D3. I just wish I could play after this weekend.

I have it downloaded, going to try it out today if it's still up (not sure when the beta weekend ends).

The saw the skill tree and was instantly reminded of FFX. Awesome.

Devs have mentioned that donations will qualify you for access to the closed beta after this stress test weekend. It's great they have such a strong community presence too.

In terms of quest progression, they've said they will be streamlining quests and there will be a whole new 3rd act when they go into open beta (about 2 months away). As it currently stands, Act 2 ends with a bit of a whimper and was a bit anti-climactic but there is still tons of content they are planning to implement.

All in all, the game is shaping up very nicely and I'm almost tempted to just stop playing and waiting for full release so I can get the full experience.

I have it downloaded, going to try it out today if it's still up (not sure when the beta weekend ends).

The saw the skill tree and was instantly reminded of FFX. Awesome.

There's a countdown on the main page
http://www.pathofexile.com/

Interesting game, though still somewhat laggy from where I live here. There's a noticeable delay from when I attack to when the enemy reacts to it.. Will keep an eye on it once it goes into open beta later on.

does anyone know if there is coop in the public beta test? i was planning on trying the game out today but i would love if i could play it through in coop with a friend :D

does anyone know if there is coop in the public beta test? i was planning on trying the game out today but i would love if i could play it through in coop with a friend :D

Yep my friend and I played it for about 4 hours last night.

Played this a little, some thoughts:

Pros:
-Graphics are WAY better than D3
-Skill system looks elaborate and awesome
-Game just feels a whole lot better than D3 in general

Cons:
-Didn't realize this was an MMO (though it seems like it's not entirely? I don't like all the people running around and chatter at the "hub" areas, though. Annoying.
-Economy system seems odd, though also kind of refreshing with the currency being actual items rather than just arbitrary "gold".
-No mini map or map of any kind that I could see

Overall this looks to be WAY better than Diablo 3. I just wish it was a single player experience.

Press Tab. Just like in Diablo.

And they will eventually be adding an actual minimap to the top corner at some point (not just the map overlay).

Seems a little awkward at first but the economy using items as currency eventually makes sense and is quite unique.

There's a countdown on the main page
http://www.pathofexile.com/

Interesting game, though still somewhat laggy from where I live here. There's a noticeable delay from when I attack to when the enemy reacts to it.. Will keep an eye on it once it goes into open beta later on.

Had the same lag issues too.

Not digging the FOV either. Also, the inventory panel could be improved a bit more and not just rip off Diablo wholesale, for example they can add item comparisons with current equipment when scrolling over items.

I mentioned a week ago the combat looks clunky. After watching new videos I take back what I said. PoE kinda looks like what D3 should of looked like, rather than the hybrid D2/WoW mess that is is now.

I haven't tried D3 but I played POE over the weekend and had a blast! The graphics were surprisingly good and the sound was great as well. The music score alone sounds like it came from a AAA studio.

As I am a huge fan of Titan Quest, POE fills that void I have had since I stopped playing it a few years ago. The combat is fast and fluid. There's tons of loot and I really had no issues except for the occasional disconnect. Look forward to playing this more!

Played it a bit.
It's "ok" nothing revolutionary, some stuff I like some I don't, like the gem requirement for spells.

There's alot of polish missing, I tried building a Necromancer and there's no way to know if your pets are alive or dead, what their health is, etc. In D2 you had a "party" window where you could see the status of your minions.

The skill tree is awesome, really, it's new and refreshing.

The game feel too "zoomed in" I like TQ where you saw vast area around you, this one felt claustrophobic, kinda lame for a 2012 game.

Imho, they're gonna reach a niche audience while D3 will appeal more to the general population, which is fine that way

I think the FOV/zoomed in thing might be a bug. I saw a thread in there forums where there were some screen shots where people had a whole lot more space on the screen than I did. Even playing with the cramped screen I enjoyed the game.

And they have plans to revamp the mini map as well.

I didn't feel cramped at all with the FOV or zoom. Felt just about right to me.

I didn't get any lag, either, but I heard some people complaining about it in-game so it must be region-specific or something.

This game seems like what Diablo 3 should have been. Although, like I said, not a big fan of the incessant MMO-like chatter going on while I'm trying to play. Though it did seem like as soon as you leave the "town" areas, everything is instanced per player (since I didn't see any other players running around outside of town). Is that how it is? If so, how do you do co-op?

There's alot of polish missing, I tried building a Necromancer and there's no way to know if your pets are alive or dead, what their health is, etc. In D2 you had a "party" window where you could see the status of your minions.

It's still a beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back