Path of Exile

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ From my experience, towns are like MMO areas, then you join groups with people (your friends or otherwise) and go into dungeons (or world zones) which are then instanced.

I didn't feel cramped at all with the FOV or zoom. Felt just about right to me.

I didn't get any lag, either, but I heard some people complaining about it in-game so it must be region-specific or something.

This game seems like what Diablo 3 should have been. Although, like I said, not a big fan of the incessant MMO-like chatter going on while I'm trying to play. Though it did seem like as soon as you leave the "town" areas, everything is instanced per player (since I didn't see any other players running around outside of town). Is that how it is? If so, how do you do co-op?

It's still a beta.

The town is instanced as well, that's why you only see ~20 ppl running around in it. /online will show you total # online. Global chat is global but can be hidden easily (top left corner of chat box once you hit enter once). If you invite someone to a party and they join, next time you zone you appear together in the same instance. You'll know you're in the same area if you can see their health/name bar near the top left of the screen.

Lag was minimal for me, I only noticed it once or twice when fighting. Zoom level or FOV seemed ok to me... about typical for a game like that. The annoying thing for me was loot drops for everyone, so it's a clickfest to get stuff in a party and you're screwed if you're ranged typically. I heard they're changing this though - to a system where loot will be player based for a set amount of time, then it will open to all in the party if you don't pick it up.

Also, quit referring to D3 as if it's already out lol. PoE beta has more content - but way less polish, and it's got a darker theme to it - more of a Diablo 2.1 imo.

I very much enjoyed this game over the weekend. I did not get a bunch of playtime, but was able to level a duelist to 10. I hope they make it public soon. Regardless of how Diablo 3 is, I will definitely find time to play this, especially on its final release.

Also, quit referring to D3 as if it's already out lol. PoE beta has more content - but way less polish, and it's got a darker theme to it - more of a Diablo 2.1 imo.

I don't think they're going to make any major changes to Diablo 3 in the next month and a half before release, but I could be wrong. I guess what I meant was, "Based on what I've played in the D3 beta, PoE seems like what D3 should have been overall".

Literally the only things I think Diablo 3 does better than PoE so far are the storyline and dialogue (actual audio in D3), along with the economy (though I could grow to like the PoE economy). Other than that, the combat, skill system, graphics, inventory, and just about everything else I like better in PoE.

I don't think they're going to make any major changes to Diablo 3 in the next month and a half before release, but I could be wrong. I guess what I meant was, "Based on what I've played in the D3 beta, PoE seems like what D3 should have been overall".

Literally the only things I think Diablo 3 does better than PoE so far are the storyline and dialogue (actual audio in D3), along with the economy (though I could grow to like the PoE economy). Other than that, the combat, skill system, graphics, inventory, and just about everything else I like better in PoE.

Yeah, with D3 they're holding back a ton of content/story giving just basically 2 zones in the beta, where PoE is showing about 12? zones in Act 1 and I didn't even go into Act 2 at all, but I was told it's all there except the final boss. tbh I don't even know what story existed in PoE as I didn't read but a couple of the npc dialogues...

The thing I like more about D3 was the little stuff like interactable environments (dropping chandeliers, crumbling walls, etc), side quests, combo xp for killing, and then of course the audio/speech aspect is far above and beyond what PoE has (since it has none). PoE just seems rather bland in the gameplay.

The skill system via gems and the passive skill tree is cool though... gives way to lots of customization and stuff between characters, which is by far required for a free to play game. I have a feeling the devs for PoE (assuming it is economically stable after release) will continue to improve and upgrade the game in various ways, whereas I don't see that as much for D3. D3 might get a couple new features (probably ones expected to originally be in the release like pvp, lol) but they'll probably be spread out and then an xpac will come along. PoE will be more steady with updates and tweaks I bet.

Either way I'll probably be playing both... sounds like PoE might be coming to open beta in ~2 months though which is post-D3 and then heading towards competition with Torchlight 2 as well for release.

PoE is fantastic but alas it is in a true closed beta state and I do not feel there is enough content to form a coherent opinion about it.

The first two acts in all four difficulties, access to every skill and every item is too little content to form a coherent opinion on this game, but the first 1/3rd of the first act of Diablo 3 is enough to conclude that the game is too easy, the skill system lacks depth, the plot and locations lack grit and grimness, and that the game is generally shit.

God I love the Hardforum.

Yeah, with D3 they're holding back a ton of content/story giving just basically 2 zones in the beta, where PoE is showing about 12? zones in Act 1 and I didn't even go into Act 2 at all, but I was told it's all there except the final boss. tbh I don't even know what story existed in PoE as I didn't read but a couple of the npc dialogues...

The thing I like more about D3 was the little stuff like interactable environments (dropping chandeliers, crumbling walls, etc), side quests, combo xp for killing, and then of course the audio/speech aspect is far above and beyond what PoE has (since it has none). PoE just seems rather bland in the gameplay.

Well what I meant was base gameplay mechanics changes and stuff like that, not necessarily SP content.

And as far as interaction, TBH all that stuff in D3 means very little to me. I like being able to flip corpses and stuff but when it gets into sweeping the mouse around trying to "find" stuff like hidden floor tiles and recessed bookshelves that might hide loot, it just feels more like a chore than a fun mechanic. I much prefer D2 and PoE where it's more like, you see a box/barrel/corpse/chest, and you can open it or flip it over.

I guess kudos to D3 for doing something "different" (although on the whole it just seems like they're moving toward a WoW-oriented style) but PoE so far feels a lot more like a Diablo 2 sequel than D3 does...to me, anyway.

PoE has alot of potential, although it still needs quite a bit of polish. After playing both Diablo 3 and PoE in their current states, Diablo 3 is alot more polished and is overall more fun to play.

I very much enjoyed this game over the weekend. I did not get a bunch of playtime, but was able to level a duelist to 10. I hope they make it public soon. Regardless of how Diablo 3 is, I will definitely find time to play this, especially on its final release.

Ive been in the beta for a while and I stopped played so as not water down the experience for myself.

Ive been in the beta for a while and I stopped played so as not water down the experience for myself.

I came to the same conclusion after the public weekend. I'm going to stop playing until the full release so I can experience it in it's entirity :)

The first two acts in all four difficulties, access to every skill and every item is too little content to form a coherent opinion on this game, but the first 1/3rd of the first act of Diablo 3 is enough to conclude that the game is too easy, the skill system lacks depth, the plot and locations lack grit and grimness, and that the game is generally shit.

God I love the Hardforum.

It is more or less the internet, the place where all logic dies.

PoE is an excellent game but it won't make a dent in D3 sales. GG doesn't have the marketing or money to go toe to toe with Blizzard so they need to rely on word of mouth. But more than likely PoE will follow the same fate as Titan's Quest did when D2 was released. TQ was a far superior game in every aspect but it got crushed by D2 and the marketing machine.

I'll be enjoying PoE though as I'm skipping D3 altogether. Just don't have time for multiple games anymore so got to pick 1 and I'm going with the little guy this time around.

It's still a beta.
I don't like that excuse. A beta is supposed to be a finished product that is in final bug testing phase. Alpha phase is when features are still being added.

These companies have moved Beta tag to early 'demo', which is a recent trend. Being a 'beta tester' back in the day used to be a big deal. Now it's almost expected.

But more than likely PoE will follow the same fate as Titan's Quest did when D2 was released. TQ was a far superior game in every aspect but it got crushed by D2 and the marketing machine.

WTF? Their release dates are 6 years apart. You make it sound like TQ released first.

For the lols

Last edited:
WTF? Their release dates are 6 years apart. You make it sound like TQ released first.

lol... TQ failed because TQ failed, don't blame Diablo 2 for that.
Most people at release were having trouble even playing the game because of crazy DRM, that won't really help boost your sales.

The reason why D2, D3 and WoW2 will succeed is when the game is released it's gonna be freaking polished, you'll download/install the game, hit play and it's going to work, that is worth marketshare to me.

edit:

Oh and TQ isn't a bad game but a crap launch will kill most title but it's never going to be as good as Diablo 2 was.

PoE is an excellent game but it won't make a dent in D3 sales. GG doesn't have the marketing or money to go toe to toe with Blizzard so they need to rely on word of mouth. But more than likely PoE will follow the same fate as Titan's Quest did when D2 was released. TQ was a far superior game in every aspect but it got crushed by D2 and the marketing machine.

I'll be enjoying PoE though as I'm skipping D3 altogether. Just don't have time for multiple games anymore so got to pick 1 and I'm going with the little guy this time around.

Yep. I'm considering doing the same.

It is hard to "make a dent in D3 sales" when they're giving PoE away for free.
I'm anxiously waiting for the moment to buy some extra stash tabs in PoE with cash.

lol... TQ failed because TQ failed, don't blame Diablo 2 for that.
Most people at release were having trouble even playing the game because of crazy DRM, that won't really help boost your sales.

The reason why D2, D3 and WoW2 will succeed is when the game is released it's gonna be freaking polished, you'll download/install the game, hit play and it's going to work, that is worth marketshare to me.

edit:

Oh and TQ isn't a bad game but a crap launch will kill most title but it's never going to be as good as Diablo 2 was.

The only ones affectes by "crazy drm" were pirates. The launch wasnt crap, it was damn near perfect; however, pirates gave the game a really bad rap because of the DRM. The drm was setup to crash at certain points if you pirated the game, similar to the SS3 immortal scorpion that would follow you around.

Ah, I was hitting "M" (I think Diablo 3 is "M").

Guess I'll have to wait to see if I get in the beta to play more. :(

You know whats awesome, you can actually have the map open while running in this game......what a revelation! :eek:

That's one of the things that pissed me off in Diablo 3, every time you open the map your character stops running.

I got in the habit of using the map in both Diablo's and Titan Quest. Its very annoying not to be able to move while your map is up.

The only ones affectes by "crazy drm" were pirates. The launch wasnt crap, it was damn near perfect; however, pirates gave the game a really bad rap because of the DRM. The drm was setup to crash at certain points if you pirated the game, similar to the SS3 immortal scorpion that would follow you around.

Well AFAIK SS3 didn't get a bad rep from pirates.
TQ on the other hand, I remember plenty of people having trouble with DRM even with legit copy.

You know whats awesome, you can actually have the map open while running in this game......what a revelation! :eek:

That's one of the things that pissed me off in Diablo 3, every time you open the map your character stops running.

I got in the habit of using the map in both Diablo's and Titan Quest. Its very annoying not to be able to move while your map is up.

Oh wow, did not realize D3 did not have this! It was plenty helpful playing PoE over the weekend, making sure I don't miss any areas. I hope they implement this into D3.

lol... wtf?

TQ = diablo clone, released 6 years after D2 like someone already said.

You're also probably the only one to think that TQ was the far superior game. Yeah the singleplayer was good but didn't come close to D2 particularly in regards to the multiplayer aspect of the game.

lol... wtf?

TQ = diablo clone, released 6 years after D2 like someone already said.

You're also probably the only one to think that TQ was the far superior game. Yeah the singleplayer was good but didn't come close to D2 particularly in regards to the multiplayer aspect of the game.

I think Diablo 2 was better than TQ but honestly from what I've played of Diablo 3, TQ is better. It's almost even better graphically, which is really sad.

I think Diablo 2 was better than TQ but honestly from what I've played of Diablo 3, TQ is better. It's almost even better graphically, which is really sad.

I guarantee TQ trumps D3 in class diversity and choices the player can make.

yay, judging the game based on Act I to Blood Raven.

Why do you care enough to mention the graphics? What did you expect? As any PC gamer knows, game graphics aren't getting any better and this has been the case for years now. I can still use my HD 4870 to run most games at a respectable quality and resolution because graphics have have hit a plateau.

Titan quest also looks the same or better than Torchlight 2 and that game probably won't even be out until after diablo 3.

yay, judging the game based on Act I to Blood Raven.

All the game mechanics are there. The only difference is sheer amount of content, which is not what I'm talking about. Do you seriously think they will drastically change the mechanics or graphics in the next month and a half? I highly doubt it, but if it does happen I'll admit I was wrong.

Why do you care enough to mention the graphics? What did you expect? As any PC gamer knows, game graphics aren't getting any better and this has been the case for years now. I can still use my HD 4870 to run most games at a respectable quality and resolution because graphics have have hit a plateau.

Not sure if serious...

If so, most ridiculous post I've seen in awhile.

Titan quest also looks the same or better than Torchlight 2 and that game probably won't even be out until after diablo 3.

So they both have shitty graphics then, what's your point? I haven't said one word about Torchlight 2. Though from what I've seen of Torchlight it seems like it's supposed to be more cell-shaded/stylized than Diablo 3.

Comparing graphics between TQ and D3 is stupid. They're different art, same way you don't compare WoW to EQ in graphics.

I got a beta key from someone, whoo! Can't wait to get back into this.

They removed the overhead map in D3?

No, but now you can't run with it on. As soon as you open it, your character stops running.

Whoever designed it that way needs a punch in the gonads!

Oh yeah, and bring back the fucking Gauntlet Cursor, Blizzard wtf is wrong with you!

No, but now you can't run with it on. As soon as you open it, your character stops running.

Whoever designed it that way needs a punch in the gonads!

Oh yeah, and bring back the fucking Gauntlet Cursor, Blizzard wtf is wrong with you!

Darn that blows, ah well I'm sure I'll enjoy the game anyway :p

I just played the public stress test weekend, I probably played about 20 hours and I really started to enjoy the game once I reached the third difficulty. I am waiting for the microtransactions so I can buy way back in. 5 or 10 bucks is seriously worth it.

Have they stated whether you'll get to keep your beta character once the game is released? I played the beta weekend and had some fun but wouldn't be interested in playing the beta anymore if all the grinding would be wiped clean.

Have they stated whether you'll get to keep your beta character once the game is released? I played the beta weekend and had some fun but wouldn't be interested in playing the beta anymore if all the grinding would be wiped clean.

From what I have gathered, once the game goes to public beta, all closed beta characters will be deleted. But apparently, you will be able to keep your open beta character for the final release.... Not 100% sure though.

From what I have gathered, once the game goes to public beta, all closed beta characters will be deleted. But apparently, you will be able to keep your open beta character for the final release.... Not 100% sure though.

I heard differently. They are only doing one character wipe, and that will be the day before game launch. Your characters from the public stress test weekend will exist up until that point, so if you receive a beta invite before game launch, your character will still be there. You won't however be able to use any beta characters in the launch version.

I heard differently. They are only doing one character wipe, and that will be the day before game launch. Your characters from the public stress test weekend will exist up until that point, so if you receive a beta invite before game launch, your character will still be there. You won't however be able to use any beta characters in the launch version.

the devs said in chat over the stress test weekend that they will be doing a character wipe prior to the full open beta. After that I'm not sure.

Either way we seem to have conflicting stories. I am sure we will find out soon enough.

The store should be opening within an hour to get beta access for those who desperately want back in like me...

10 bucks to keep playing well worth it..

Ill be playing this for awhile.

oh Store is up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back