One Steep Ramp Up

HK, are you new to folding or did you come over from another team?
 
I see. I thought Punchy was implying HK was in fact a member from another team, then when mplee mentioned solonw, I thought he was saying HK = solonw.

nevermind, I was just super confused.
 
I see. I thought Punchy was implying HK was in fact a member from another team, then when mplee mentioned solonw, I thought he was saying HK = solonw.

nevermind, I was just super confused.

Actually HK could be...we'll see if he decides to mention it or not. Although it's much appreciated that he's folding for this team.

I think 10e mentioned a while back that he'd be throwing some resources this way, away from his other team.....
 
Actually HK could be...we'll see if he decides to mention it or not. Although it's much appreciated that he's folding for this team.

I think 10e mentioned a while back that he'd be throwing some resources this way, away from his other team.....
yeah, I don't think we're particular about where the PPD comes from :)
 
I don't think would have has [H]'s in his name if he had folded for another team..
Probably just a long time reader of [H], had the resources at his disposal, sized up the competition and wanted to fold for the team and the cause. :cool:

yeah, I don't think we're particular about where the PPD comes from :)
Exactly right. :cool:

/welcomes HK with a warm and friendly handshake
 
Exactly right. :cool:

/welcomes HK with a warm and friendly handshake

Good thing this isn't GenMay.....

It wouldn't be handshakes. :eek:

I'm sure I said welcome earlier... but, Glad to have ya!
 
Hey guys, been watching this thread wondering who your new heavy hitter is. Just wanted to clear any doubts about it being me. :)

I'm still folding for EVGA and don't see that changing any time soon. My production is dropping back to normal slowly, but not because it is moving elsewhere. Very impressive output from HK though, I don't think i'd have the guts to run all those fans piled on top of a mobo like that!
 
I think we need to introduce [H]K to the awesomeness of the [H] box fan.

dsc08480l.jpg

Courtesy of 86 5.0L
 
Thanks to all for the team welcomes and system compliments.

The top fans are more for extra cooling for system longevity than an absolute requirement. The only fans required are the CPU cooler (obviously) and the northbridge . Anyone who has dealt with the Asus Rampage II GENE already know why if you overclock this motherboard. Even a northbridge TIM rework does not get you out of the O/C desert where rattlesnakes combust as you eat your sandwich. :).

Plus one other fan up top push a little extra air down into the pocket made up from the power supply - video card - rear case - RAM. No fan on the rear like you might see on a traditional design. Any movement helps keep the northbridge and voltage regulators cool.

Even without a cooler I think the RAM might be just fine. The G.Skill doesn't seem to get nearly as warm as some other brands in about the same configuration doing the same work. I chalk it up to the heat spreader design G.Skill uses.




 
Last edited:
What's in my box?

Back to the 4-Way GPU system for a bit. Below are the idle and running wattage values for the system.

Watts Up Pro = BFG EX-1200 power supply.
Kill A Watt = Both Thermaltake Toughpower 650W bay supplies.

Each Thermaltake power supply feeds two EVGA GTX 295 FTW cards. The BFG EX-1200 power supply feeds the motherboard and the rest of the system components


Idle wattage. Windows booted but doing nothing.

P1000162.JPG


Load wattage. All GPU and CPU SMP -10 Folding@home clients running.

P1000169.JPG

 
Last edited:
To quote Frank Barone, "Holy crap!".

I wasn't referring to solonw or EVGA mourning the loss of a heavy hitter. When someone comes along and immediately starts producing at this level, running 50+ clients with no noob questions, odds are they have prior experience with either F@H or another distributed computing project. There are a number of such DC gypsies around. It would be interesting to know where Mr. HK came from, just out of curiosity.
 
Last edited:
wow. that's a serious folding rig. nice work!
 
HK is da man.

Fold On!

Sure! I'm Da Man! But more importantly we ALL are Da Man! Every single one of us. From the person running the 10 PPD machine all the way up to the person running the 100K+ PPD Folding farms. While I appreciate the sentiment, I absolutely know the [H]ecklerKoc[H] contribution isn't worth much without being a part of a larger effort. Efforts from [H]ardOCP. Efforts from the EVGA team. An all of the other too. Nice to have a hobby that is both interesting and communal.
 
Last edited:
Well said.

and it's nice to have a hobby that lets us play with such fun toys :)
 
What's in my box?

A few more pics from the [H]ecklerKoc[H]'s #1 PPD system..


Fans speak to you in the voice of Sinistar " Beware! I'm near!". My fingers listened well when he said "Run! Run!" and then installed fan grills everywhere.

P1000081.JPG


P1000156.JPG


P1000145.JPG


P1000146.JPG


P1000121.JPG


P1000112.JPG


P1000109.JPG


P1000100.JPG


This is a bbaaaadddddd fan!
P1000094.JPG


This is what the bbaaaadddddd fan sucks through!
P1000098.JPG

The Zalamn's surface prep mentioned previously. Right after cleaning for reapplication of the new TIM. Your camera cannot actually photograph the surface all that well, so a reflection is needed.
P1000088.JPG

The Well.
P1000077.JPG

P1000083.JPG


Trivia Question: Can anyone name the most correct reason to place the ultra skinny fan shown in the pics?

 
Last edited:
I remember my 295's....

Amazing rig tho, it's crazy!!!!
 
[H]ecklerKoc[H];1036159425 said:
Fans speak to you in the voice of Sinistar " Beware! I'm near!". My fingers listened well when he said "Run! Run!" and then installed fan grills everywhere.
OMG, I don't believe I heard anyone mention Sinistar in like over 20 years!! Thanks for the time-warp to my nearly forgotten youth! :D :eek:

Trivia Question: Can anyone name the most correct reason to place the ultra skinny fan shown in the pics?
You mean the one at the back of the case? Whenever I use very low-profile fans it's because clearance is highly limited for some reason. I see in this situation that doesn't appear to be the case. I guess I'm stumped unless this is a particularly powerful model. :confused:
 
Last edited:
im guessing your talking about the little white fan and if thats the case its to move air behind the card so the top card doesnt pull in the hot air from the chipset heatsink through the open vent at the top/back of the top GTX 295? if its the black fan sitting up against the cards then its to force cool air between the cards..
 
im guessing your talking about the little white fan and if thats the case its to move air behind the card so the top card doesnt pull in the hot air from the chipset heatsink through the open vent at the top/back of the top GTX 295? if its the black fan sitting up against the cards then its to force cool air between the cards..

Try the one that is behind the cards mounted on the HD cage area. It's THIN hard to see in some pictures.
 
[H]ecklerKoc[H] I have to say I love the Brother P-Touch labels on your video cards.

I always have that problem... Is THIS the good GTX 295 or the bad one????

:p

Awesome job though. Keep mot[h]erfolding!
 
Actually HK could be...we'll see if he decides to mention it or not. Although it's much appreciated that he's folding for this team.

I think 10e mentioned a while back that he'd be throwing some resources this way, away from his other team.....

Si señor. I should be up to a touch under/over 100K over the next few days. Just added 4 GPUs and one Core I7 920, AND my twin Opteron box is now 100% stable with the latest BIOS. It was flapping a lot of the last week, and three days ago was down for 6 hours for some reason.

New BIOS has things running smoothly and should see between 30 and 60K just from that. And it's cooled down up here in the Toronto area so maybe a GPU or two might re-enter the "fold".

And yeah a big "thanks" to HK for his super and pleasantly surprising contribution to the team and the folding@home project.
 
For all the equipment you have in that case, your cable management is fantastic - very very impressive for the amount of wires and stuff in there.

re: the fan
I'm guessing it's to help move the air exhausting from the 2 front mounted psus so the air is blown more towards the back of the case instead of not moving much and remaining stagnant in the case and then heating up the hardware more (primarily the ram and the cpu).
 
GTX 295s exhaust air out of each end, so the skinny fan might be pulling hot air from the cards out the front of the case.

HK, have you tried running the cards nekkid? With the amount of fans you have, I suspect your temps would drop. Of course, then you'll have to label the cards to be able to match them up with the shrouds again. :D
 
The fan the question was about is this fan.


@10e: Definitely with "Is THIS the good GTX 295 or the bad one????".

Also helps in other areas. Things like:
  • I wonder "which card is this" as enumerated in Windows for device management vs enumeration in Everest vs enumeration in EVGA Precision / MSI Afterbuner.
  • How fast can I crank up the overclock for my GTX XXX / 9800 GXX in a single card configuration vs multi-card configuration.
  • Is overclock problem related to the to the GTX XXX / 9800 GXX card? Or is the problem related to bus issues? Or is the problem an NF200 voltage issue?

@ zero2dash: Thanks.

The case is fairly easy to work because of the wire management.. While no one wants to expect a component replacement, the fact is something is going to happen with a Folding@home box like this. If not a component replacement, then its going to be an airflow issue. Cable management is really more of a requirement than an option. The benefits of easier and faster component swaps plus better airflow control have already been experienced in a few different ways. The work does make for a nice picture too!

 
Last edited:
[H]ecklerKoc[H];1036160649 said:
The fan the question was about this fan.
Yep, that's the fan I thought you were talking about. Is it a high vlume fan for its depth? I have a fan that is ultra-thin too, but it moves a ton of air. Sometimes appearances can be deceiving when it comes to fans.
 
Yep, that's the fan I thought you were talking about. Is it a high vlume fan for its depth? I have a fan that is ultra-thin too, but it moves a ton of air. Sometimes appearances can be deceiving when it comes to fans.
or is it to save space for longer gpus? :eek: What's bigger than gtx295?
 
The answer to the fan question is, to bend the air from the GTX 295's, up.

During the build a few different option were considered for cooling the drive cage. The first option choose was to install a front fan. Natural enough since there is a spot for one. However, the video cards dump hear in two directions. The heat going to the front of the case was heating up the drive cage.

The next natural solution seemed to be one of two things.
  1. Install another fan with the included bracket
  2. Install some customized flexible ducting you might use for a dryer or HVAC venting. Take it to the top of the case, and fit it to a fan for exhaust.

The second option was definitely more intriguing. Plus the appearance would have given the case an even greater techno-custom look. Not that it would matter once the side panel was in place. But I could still "see" it in my head.

But the bracket called and another 120mm fan was looking for a home anyway. Not the 120 you see, but another 120mm fan. The drive cage temp was good after the fan install. But there was another problem. The fan was strong enough to push air right back into the video cards. That defeated the goal of having an air-cooled system stay cool all around.

The 12mm Scythe Slip Stream Slim Fan was consider. The Scythe seems a joke since the airflow from the four video card is not exactly zero The fan over the top of the video cards cards also contribute to the problem The Slim Fan was worth a try anyway.

The surprise came when the Slim Fan and the fan at the bottom of the case worked together perfectly to send the hot air upwards. Without heating the drives. Without pushing hot air back down the exhaust of the video cards either.

Another completely unplanned evolution that works great! But I still think some robot-techno-duct would look good in the case! :)


.
[SIZE="-10"].[/SIZE]
HKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHKHK​


[SIZE="-10"].[/SIZE]
 
Last edited:
Back
Top