OLED MONITORS!!!!!

About time!

Dell also launched an OLED monitor a few years ago but was cancelled due to image quality concerns.

I can't wait to see some specs. Did they say "monitor" or gaming monitor <- that's the important question for me.

Pretty certain to be 60hz if they didn't mention anything. Also, I'm guessing since it is a pro monitor my guess is that it will be $4,999 as a price. Also, by "soon" I bet it will be available in the 2nd half of 2021. But maybe I a bit jaded ;-)

Pretty certain to be 60hz if they didn't mention anything. Also, I'm guessing since it is a pro monitor my guess is that it will be $4,999 as a price. Also, by "soon" I bet it will be available in the 2nd half of 2021. But maybe I a bit jaded ;-)
Why do you think they will be only 60hz? LG OLED tv have been 120hz for a couple years. I do expect the monitors to be stupid expensive cause it is a "gaming/Pro" monitor.

Last edited:
Why do you think they will be only 60hz? LG OLED tv have been 120hz for a couple years. I do expect the monitors to be stupid expensive cause it is a "gaming" monitor.
I am assuming because it is a 'pro' monitor. Plus, I don't think this monitor has the same type of oled panel that the LG TV's have.

flatpanelhd says this isn't an LG panel, so it being 60hz is not that unusual. There aren't that many sources for OLED panels, so it may be a JOLED or Sony panel and in that case 60hz and $5-$10K++ pricing is likely.

Not really buyable IMO unless all of those things are wrong.

flatpanelhd says this isn't an LG panel, so it being 60hz is not that unusual. There aren't that many sources for OLED panels, so it may be a JOLED or Sony panel and in that case 60hz and $5-$10K++ pricing is likely.

Not really buyable IMO unless all of those things are wrong.
So it is going to be a low volume stupid expansive monitor like all the other OLED monitors released over the years.

So it is going to be a low volume stupid expansive monitor like all the other OLED monitors released over the years.

Of course. OLED will never be suitable for the consumer desktop market unless signifigant advances are made with the technology, or another type of emissive panel supercedes it.

Well LG has already indicated by late 2021 or early 2022 they will be releasing a number of other OLED monitors after this one so while I think this one might not be the perfect consumer monitor the wait is almost over...

Has there actually been solid confirmation that the LG is a 60Hz monitor or are we just jumping to conclusions?

In the pr release they specify this was targeted for video editors and has exceptional tonality gradiant. But they also noted other types of oled monitors would be available soon... so my hope is by early 2022 at the very least a good consumer monitor will be released in the sub 30 inch range.

its got the word "pro" in it, so you know what that means: $$$$
wouldn't surprise me if this went 2-3k
I'm more interested in the 42inch tv. Thats almost small enough for me consider

its got the word "pro" in it, so you know what that means: $$$$
wouldn't surprise me if this went 2-3k
I'm more interested in the 42inch tv. Thats almost small enough for me consider
Yeah. I am thinking the same thing. 48 inch is still too big. But i can probably make due with a 42... Too bad they probably wont be out until the end of 2021.

I have the 48inch now. While I really love it , I think 42 would be about prefect for my desk setup. Was using a 40 before my 48.

My desk is built into my wall 😂 most circumstances probably not a bad idea.
Finally, someone else on this forum who works on a built-in! I was being to feel like I was losing my mind, probably because this sort of setup doesn’t seem to be one that most people can imagine a sane person having. Still, I’m glad to see that someone gets it.

Though to be frank, I’m thinking about moving my setup into a different room where I’ll be able to get a separate desk and use the 42” OLED.

They also introduced a new 42 inch panel for those who want tv as a monitor.

I'm just wondering why they can't acknowledge that it's mainly used as a monitor and actually make it a monitor (i.e. with a proper stand and has DisplayPort inputs). :facepalm:

Eh HDMI 2.1 is currently superior to DisplayPort for the time being so the lack of it shouldn't really be missed. Would be nice if they started to make use of DP 2.0 though.

Eh HDMI 2.1 is currently superior to DisplayPort for the time being so the lack of it shouldn't really be missed. Would be nice if they started to make use of DP 2.0 though.
HDMI 2.1 might be superior to DisplayPort 1.4 in terms of bandwidth, but DisplayPort (and DP Alt Mode) are much more compatible with interfaces like USB-C/Thunderbolt. I don't think there are any laptops with HDMI 2.1 right now, but there are plenty that can output a DisplayPort HBR3 (1.4) stream via Alt Mode. The adapters needed to go USB-C to DisplayPort are thus much simpler and more reliable than USB-C to HDMI 2.1.

Last edited:
HDMI 2.1 might be superior to DisplayPort 1.4 in terms of bandwidth, but DisplayPort (and DP Alt Mode) are much more compatible with interfaces like USB-C/Thunderbolt. I don't think there are any laptops with HDMI 2.1 right now, but there are plenty that can output a DisplayPort HBR3 (1.4) stream via Alt Mode. The adapters needed to go USB-C to DisplayPort are thus much simpler and more reliable than USB-C to HDMI 2.1.

Shouldn't be an issue once the new 2021 laptops start shipping out with the newest GPUs inside.

Plus, the only video cards that have HDMI 2.1 right now are unable to be purchased anywhere at the moment.

How many devices output 2.1 though? Those of us with older hardware would prefer DP support for our aging hardware.

Back