Official Overwatch Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 245375
  • Start date
XP is only used to unlock cosmetics and has 0 game play impact. This is how it should be.

Or I guess you can have Battlefields game play affecting "Dress 'Em Up Barbie nonsense" progression system instead. Sorry I mean "Customized Action Figure" nonsense. After all the true test of manhood and grit is playing make believe soldier in a military shooter.

I don't agree with this. BF games have always had guns unlocked at early stages that were OK to put up a fight. Of course the longer you play, the better guns you unlocked. It still is true for BF1 but at least this time even the default level 1 guns are as good and sometimes better than some of the later unlocks. For me XP should depict progression. Gun unlocks (good or bad) are always exciting to try out. Same is true for Titanfall games (I can run around with CAR until level 50 or wait for a Hemlock unlock at level 20-ish). Same also true for any COD game and was especially perfected with BLOPS 3 IMO.

This game, every match is the same. I don't even unlock an ability after hours and hours of play. It is the classic MP shooter in that respect but given how bad the guns generally are I did not enjoy it one bit. Spent about 3 hours with it and saw all I needed to see. Unless you like the Dress 'em up stuff, I don't see the value in continue playing. Also teams that won virtually had the same config every damn time. Since many nubs were on in the free weekend, my teams were generally stupid (e.g., not a single healer, 3 tanks, etc. etc.). Lack of game modes was another problem that kept very little interest of mine.

Oh well. Enjoy it if you like it.

I don't agree with this. BF games have always had guns unlocked at early stages that were OK to put up a fight. Of course the longer you play, the better guns you unlocked.

I only made it through Battlefield Vietnam, but I don't remember unlocking guns in those early BF games. Is my memory deceiving me, or is it only the games after that that started with unlocking guns?

I had such high hopes during my placement matches for season 3...

For both seasons 1 & 2 I think I either went 4-6 or 5-5 in my placement matches and it put me exactly at SR 1999 both times. So I'm going through the season 3 placement matches and find myself doing pretty well...was 6-3 with one match left and one of the losses was due to a leaver (literally left like 3 minutes into the game in a king of the hill match). Ended up finishing 6-4 and was hoping to start at a higher SR....nope! 1211 SR! Pretty sure this will discourage me from playing for a while. Season 2 sucked...started at 1999, immediately dropped to 1800 and hung around there for a couple of weeks. Then one bad weekend (the usual bad teams and leavers...but more frequent than usual) and I was down to 1400. Quit playing for a while and then clawed my way back up to ~1750 before season end.

From what I've experienced, dropping below 1700 SR is painful. At that point, you're basically guaranteed to be on non-functioning teams and it's so tedious to get back up.

I was in the mid 2500's in season 1 and 2. I pretty much stayed within 100 points of my initial placement. I play solo so I am always grouped with randoms.

Got grouped with not so great players and went 3 out of 10.
ScreenShot_16-12-02_01-28-16-000.jpg

ScreenShot_16-12-02_01-29-22-000.jpg

I went exactly 3/10 for placement also, then won the following 6 games. My rank is around 2530 right now. Their placement formula sucks.

They've changed the rating formula and placements basically every season so far. So nothing is really directly comparable season to season.

For season 3 they really softened or completely removed the reset factor for SR. So your starting point is heavily based on your ending point in Season 2. You can almost think of placements for S3 just as 10 games with no visible SR changes. The complaint was that previously the reset was too heavy and too many people were out of place at the start of seasons (eg. GMs were plat/diamond. Bronze/Silvers could've been plat).

The other thing with S3 is they wanted to flatten out the SR curve more and shift more towards the lower tiers. The complaint before was that it felt like almost everyone was in Gold/Plat, especially around the 2500 SR area. Don't be surprised at large SR drop if you are in Gold and lower or even Plat and lower.

I only made it through Battlefield Vietnam, but I don't remember unlocking guns in those early BF games. Is my memory deceiving me, or is it only the games after that that started with unlocking guns?

BF2, which was after Vietnam, was the first game to have unlocks but it was only 1 unlock (another weapon choice) per class. After that each game started introducing a heavier amount of progression unlocks and per class customization, as well as vehicle customization and unlocks.

I'm not even sure the placement matches matter a tremendous amount. I felt super rusty since I hadn't played in a while - lost 4, tied 1, won 5. Placed just under 3500.

It definitely factors more than just those matches.

Yeah, I placed a tad under 3k. 2953, though I played with some friends who were 2k and 2.6. i was over 3k last season. Went 6-3-1

Got to finish up placement but I have 3 losses, 1 win and a draw so far. Not a good start.

Last Season I think I ended around 2613 ish...went 6-4 on the placements started at 2264. Went 2-10 and am now 1900ish. Anyone wanna team up? ideally run a 3 man team..I primarily play Zen, Lucio, sym, rainhard, roadhog, zarya, winston, pharah, reaper, soldier. I play usually 4pm EST onward if anyone's interested.

The climb seems quick. Placed at 2256 now I'm 2427, tied 1, lost 1, won 4. I believe I got gold elims and damage in all matches too. I started so low because I never played enough comp in season 2 to bump my rank back up.

Lower ranks love to feed Zarya's charge for some reason, my friend who I was playing with included. He was Junkrat and oddly enough every time I came across the opposing Zarya she was charged up....hmmm. I didn't have the heart to tell him to change.

BF2, which was after Vietnam, was the first game to have unlocks but it was only 1 unlock (another weapon choice) per class. After that each game started introducing a heavier amount of progression unlocks and per class customization, as well as vehicle customization and unlocks.

I may have played a little bit of BF2, but don't remember that. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

To keep this on topic, I've decided that I will always suck at this game. It's fun most of the time. The obvious exception is when you get that team that you can just tell is going to suck. In that, it reminds me of World of Tanks. Of course, I'm not high enough level to do ranked battles, but that's okay. I don't need the game to tell me that I'm not good. I may just be too old, or too out of practice with shooters to be any good at this game. I guess I'll have to stick with quick plays.

Lower ranks love to feed Zarya's charge for some reason, my friend who I was playing with included. He was Junkrat and oddly enough every time I came across the opposing Zarya she was charged up....hmmm. I didn't have the heart to tell him to change.

Mind explaining that. My meta game hasn't gotten to the point where I understand what you're talking about. What was your friend doing wrong?

Last edited:
Mind explaining that. My meta game hasn't gotten to the point where I understand what you're talking about. What was your friend doing wrong?

When Zarya has the bubble around her or her team mates, shooting the bubble makes their weapon stronger, so don't shoot the bubble.

Holy crap! I didn't know that. HTF did I miss that?
When I first got the game I didn't know either, someone on the team kept saying to everyone to stop shooting Zarya when her bubble was up since her weapon was getting charged up.

It isn't that simple, there is actually a reverse problem where no one shoots Zarya's shield and it basically acts a 2 second invincibility barrier. Zarya's shield has the equivalent of a 100 dps decay rate (200 hp shield for 2s). If you can out dps that by a lot and secure a kill you should go for it. Securing kills is very important in Overwatch. Zarya also has capped charge.

There is a actually a large strategic element a lot people don't really factor this in for Overwatch. Overwatch is about all out engages or setting up all out engages. Just spamming damage into the other team actually doesn't do anything and can be a negative, since this feeds the ultimate charge of healers which tend to have very high impact ultimates. Junkrat is actually one of the heroes that really exemplifies this issue, he does a lot of damage but it might not be very impactful.

To keep this on topic, I've decided that I will always suck at this game. It's fun most of the time. The obvious exception is when you get that team that you can just tell is going to suck. In that, it reminds me of World of Tanks. Of course, I'm not high enough level to do ranked battles, but that's okay. I don't need the game to tell me that I'm not good. I may just be too old, or too out of practice with shooters to be any good at this game. I guess I'll have to stick with quick plays.

MP games these days are moving towards a match making system using a MMR. So eventually you'll stabilize to a point where you feel you're "okay" at the game. The exception would be if you're on the extreme ends. So I wouldn't worry about not feeling good or bad. Both QP and Ranked will use a MMR system, one is just visible and the other isn't. I wouldn't let perceived ability hold you back from playing ranked. Just play it if you want, the style is rather different actually.

You also don't need to be that good at traditional shooters to play Overwatch to be honest. Obviously some heroes have much more carry over from FPS but others don't really if at all. You can play quite a few heroes to well above average level just by having good game awareness and knowledge.

Reactions: xorbe
like this
It isn't that simple, there is actually a reverse problem where no one shoots Zarya's shield and it basically acts a 2 second invincibility barrier. Zarya's shield has the equivalent of a 100 dps decay rate (200 hp shield for 2s). If you can out dps that by a lot and secure a kill you should go for it. Securing kills is very important in Overwatch. Zarya also has capped charge.

There is a actually a large strategic element a lot people don't really factor this in for Overwatch. Overwatch is about all out engages or setting up all out engages. Just spamming damage into the other team actually doesn't do anything and can be a negative, since this feeds the ultimate charge of healers which tend to have very high impact ultimates. Junkrat is actually one of the heroes that really exemplifies this issue, he does a lot of damage but it might not be very impactful.

Good info. Thanks. I have killed Zarya a couple of times when she's shielded. If she's shooting Reinhardt's shield and I come up behind her....

MP games these days are moving towards a match making system using a MMR. So eventually you'll stabilize to a point where you feel you're "okay" at the game. The exception would be if you're on the extreme ends. So I wouldn't worry about not feeling good or bad. Both QP and Ranked will use a MMR system, one is just visible and the other isn't. I wouldn't let perceived ability hold you back from playing ranked. Just play it if you want, the style is rather different actually.

You also don't need to be that good at traditional shooters to play Overwatch to be honest. Obviously some heroes have much more carry over from FPS but others don't really if at all. You can play quite a few heroes to well above average level just by having good game awareness and knowledge.

Yeah, but I can tell people who've come from TF2 or the like. I'm level 16 IIRC, and getting one-shot, snap-shotted by a level 3 kinda gives it away. You don't have to be good at traditional shooters, but it helps a lot.

MMR seems to kill aspects of it for me outside of the "competitive" play. You don't learn by playing your equals all the time. Sure you will improve bit by bit but the best way to learn is to watch and go up against those better than you. Getting stomped is no fun of course but in team games like this if you have a decent team even of low skill you can make things happen.

MMR in QP though is very loose though. It's pretty common to see Master and Gold players in the same match, or even GM and Silver happens. And I mean S2 Master/GM (S3 has inflation in the Master and GM ranks currently.

The most murder QP I've played was the other side had a 6 stack of all GM/Masters. Our side was all solo's ranked all over the place.

If you queue as a 6 stack you can actually get some very unbalanced games against better opponents, the system really tries to put them together. So stuff like this can happen -
5KAsp1L.jpg

Last edited:
Yea I'll fight to get near 2600 then plummet to 2150 with 10 straight losses. Matchmaking is strange. Need a group hah.

Welcome to the new cancer rating 2000-2500. Enjoy your stay.

Yup, its pretty bad. I played with a friend during placement matches. We went 7 wins straight 2 losses and a draw. He placed in diamond, I placed in gold. Its a hell hole. I cant win more than 1 game in a row. No one talks until the end of the matches where they bitch and moan. No one wants to switch heros to counter or to let someone play a hero they know better. People pick torb on offense. Its sooo bad.

MMR seems to kill aspects of it for me outside of the "competitive" play. You don't learn by playing your equals all the time. Sure you will improve bit by bit but the best way to learn is to watch and go up against those better than you. Getting stomped is no fun of course but in team games like this if you have a decent team even of low skill you can make things happen.

For me, it seems to work the other way. I do learn when I play people who are slightly better than I am. When I play people who are significantly better than I am, I lose enthusiasm. Yeah. I can learn from what they did, but I generally don't have the skill to put to use what they did.

For me, it seems to work the other way. I do learn when I play people who are slightly better than I am. When I play people who are significantly better than I am, I lose enthusiasm. Yeah. I can learn from what they did, but I generally don't have the skill to put to use what they did.

I can see your point.

Thus far I have yet to go up against someone so ridiculously good (aside from cheaters) that I could land some hits, work with the team to focus them down etc. I will fully admit that it is really annoying though to find opposing hero ults seemingly up every 30 seconds and abilities always charged. I love replays from Genji where you never can see yourself but somehow you died heh.

I think I just dont like being forced to eat at the kids table when for so long such a buffer or padding was not even an option or thought. Some rounds sucked, while others were amazing and a few in between. If everything is in between it can get dull. Having the option is nice though.

That aside from the lame hero changes is why I can barely play Dota anymore, either I'm stuck with amazing players against AFK players so its a complete boring stomp, or I am on the team of AFK players and get completely stomped. Very hard to find a smooth middle ground with so many players of varied skill clicking find at once.

either I'm stuck with amazing players against AFK players so its a complete boring stomp, or I am on the team of AFK players and get completely stomped.

That's a point I hadn't realized. Even though the skill level of individual players in the game goes from one end to the other, I find that my matches have mostly been relatively close this season. I remember last season I gave up playing after a couple games because every match was a stomp one way or the other. for example I have yet to win or lose a control point match with 3 straight wins, the losing team always gets at least one win.

Did not play a single match during Seasons 1 or 2 , but went ahead and said what the heck... let's do Comp calibration with Season 3 and came out of placement @ 2919 w/ 8-1-1

Not sure how active I will stay in S3, however, because Competitive Overwatch just isn't as fulfilling for me as Competitive CS:GO is.

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
Holiday update should be out soon. Looking forward to that.

I finally picked this back up after a long hiatus. I placed rank 60 in season 1 and stayed around there for a bit. One weekend I went on tilt and dropped to 54 so I decided to take a break. That break lasted until last week so I've missed a bit.

I did my placement matches and got placed at 24xx. My main goal was just going to be to get into platinum which shouldn't have been that hard. After losing/winning a few games I finally accomplished my goal. I then went on a massive ten game win streak and went straight into diamond. I'll be happy if I can maintain this for the rest of the season.

Edit: Patch is out. I just need to wait until work is over now...

Last edited:
The snowball fight was dumb, hated it after round 1 lol. The rest of the update is not too bad. Need some more time with the tweaks out of PTR to see how it all comes together but not bad.

Add me on battle.net duders!

Skyvalley #1789

I placed 22xx on my qualifiers but have quickly dropped down to 1700-1800. I feel like solo queueing is really frustrating....

Examples being the entire team going DPS. I love playing Reinhardt and Zen, but when the other 5 are bickering about who should switch I feel like I'm hitting my head against a wall. Geezus who cares, someone switch.

I started my placement matches last night, it's been pretty rough so far. Lost 3 won 2. I can't make any sense of the formula based on my last few seasons, I play competitive exclusively.

The snowball fight was dumb, hated it after round 1 lol. The rest of the update is not too bad. Need some more time with the tweaks out of PTR to see how it all comes together but not bad.
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the snowball fight. I played it a few times just to get my loot box and I don't see myself going back to it.

I started my placement matches last night, it's been pretty rough so far. Lost 3 won 2. I can't make any sense of the formula based on my last few seasons, I play competitive exclusively.
From what I've read, you should end up pretty close to where you were last season regardless of wins/losses.

Welcome to the new cancer rating 2000-2500. Enjoy your stay.

I think the cancer rating is still revolving around plat after this queuing around. I broke diamond yesterday after oscillating between 2700-2900 for months, and that was a serious fight. Sometimes I'd get games where the S76 is on point and general battle flow is logical as a result, and there were games where the DPS player simply didn't have the aim/positioning (and then begging us to run dual DPS or some alternative comp). It's not that they're bad people, just they're placed a bit out of their league and the teamfights become one-sided as a result when they play the DPS character. Not sure whether the MM changes this season will fix this or not.

I'm understanding this because even though I like maining DPS, I now voluntarily switch off to Zen or Ana when I realize I'm outmatched (and hope that someone on my team might last better than me). There's a weird discrepancy around 3000 where you might get a Soldier or McCree that has 35% accuracy, or 54% accuracy, and that makes soooo much of a difference.

Last edited:
Back