Official NVIDIA Ampere In-Stock Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't be surprised if nvidia suddenly has plenty of stock when there is competition.
Nah. The rumors are true, the FE is a loss leader and Nvidia shifting FE sales to Best Buy shows they don't want to be blamed for always showing OOS on their store. AIBs are working on 20GB higher priced cards and the 10GB cards will EOL. 3090 is priced to get the $200-300 lost on the 3080. Those of us that couldn't get a card, be thankful.

I won't be surprised if nvidia suddenly has plenty of stock when there is competition.

Hahaha. Me neither. I think I have mentioned earlier somewhere they might be creating artificial demand right now to keep the hype up. But i do truly believe it’s supply issue. Turing was selling at initially but you could still buy one if you were keeping an eye out on it. I think they are just way short in supply then demand at the moment. Jensen wouldn’t be saying it won’t normalize until 2021 but he made it seem like it’s purely demand but his statement makes me seem more like supply issue.

Hahaha. Me neither. I think I have mentioned earlier somewhere they might be creating artificial demand right now to keep the hype up. But i do truly believe it’s supply issue. Turing was selling at initially but you could still buy one if you were keeping an eye out on it. I think they are just way short in supply then demand at the moment. Jensen wouldn’t be saying it won’t normalize until 2021 but he made it seem like it’s purely demand but his statement makes me seem more like supply issue.

It actually makes perfect sense when you look at the introductory price. They know that AMD does not have a competing product for 2 months, and they also know that people were turned off by the pricing of the last generation. So they constructed a base model card for a lower price, with little incentive to produce and sell it. they know the money is on the higher end cards with more memory which is where you will see all the stock.

Nah. The rumors are true, the FE is a loss leader and Nvidia shifting FE sales to Best Buy shows they don't want to be blamed for always showing OOS on their store. AIBs are working on 20GB higher priced cards and the 10GB cards will EOL. 3090 is priced to get the $200-300 lost on the 3080. Those of us that couldn't get a card, be thankful.

Not sure if they are losing money. But I do believe 3080 FE model doesn’t save them a ton of profit and Moore’s Law is Dead was on to something. Nvidia not selling it through their store now just goes on to prove that they don’t wanna sell a shit load of them and shift focus away from nvidia store and I can guarantee more 3090 FE will be available the 3080 lol. They are just making more profit on AIB bill upfront instead of making less on the FE model. Do believe that cooler costs them a lot and eats in to their profit.

Not sure if they are losing money. But I do believe 3080 FE model doesn’t save them a ton of profit and Moore’s Law is Dead was on to something. Nvidia not selling it through their store now just goes on to prove that they don’t wanna sell a shit load of them and shift focus away from nvidia store and I can guarantee more 3090 FE will be available the 3080 lol. They are just making more profit on AIB bill upfront instead of making less on the FE model. Do believe that cooler costs them a lot and eats in to their profit.

More like losing their additional profit margins.

I thought Moore's Law was an idiot on this topic until the Best Buy story came out. I think Nvidia will have plenty of AIB stock...of the 20GB cards in 2021.
Yeah, the 3090 will still be there to hurt wallets since it will have the higher GB count of all cards.

It's like the 1060 FE which barely existed.

I wonder what percentage of us are somewhat locked into the nvidia side by our GSync monitors? My Alienware AW3418DW prevents me from being interested in AMD because I’ll lose GSync and wouldn’t be able to use Freesync. Now I don’t have a strong preference between GSync and Freesync, having used both for years, but I won’t intentionally go without one or the other.

That means until I’m ready to replace my still excellent display (I’m not and I won’t until OLED is available at a smaller PC monitor size) I’m buying nvidia. No matter what AMD does. AMD could be ~30% faster than nvidia at the same price and I wouldn’t switch because of my GSync lock.
I'm currently using an Acer Predator X27 so I'm locked to G-Sync. However, I also have an LG 1440p 144Hz gaming monitor as a backup that is both Freesync and G-Sync compatible that I could switch to if I went AMD.

Funny, how now FB marketplace has tons of these listed all double the price...how did they get one. I just dont get it.

It actually makes perfect sense when you look at the introductory price. They know that AMD does not have a competing product for 2 months, and they also know that people were turned off by the pricing of the last generation. So they constructed a base model card for a lower price, with little incentive to produce and sell it. they know the money is on the higher end cards with more memory which is where you will see all the stock.
When I looked the pricing of the 3080, I only targeted the base models for this reason. To me, any $699 10GB model will end up being, if you'll give me some leeway, like the 3300X: too much performance for its price point and only enough product for mindshare, decoy pricing, and upselling. Then, poof. If AMD doesn't come through, you can forget about availability forever IMO. Save up for 20GB.

I got a 3080 from bestbuy by buying an entire prebuilt (no monitor). Also a 3090 on the drop last friday by pressing add to cart a lot.
I actually got my 3080 the same way, but still curious when supply will come back to normal. Plus it kind of pisses me off when these people on FB are doing the same as those on ebay. Just pretty crappy that they buy it jsut to sell it, when there are those that just want the dang card.

When I looked the pricing of the 3080, I only targeted the base models for this reason. To me, any $699 10GB model will end up being, if you'll give me some leeway, like the 3300X: too much performance for its price point and only enough product for mindshare, decoy pricing, and upselling. Then, poof. If AMD doesn't come through, you can forget about availability forever IMO. Save up for 20GB.

Yep, we'll never see 10GB cards again in a few weeks IMO. I'm already hoping AMD comes through because I'm not paying $849-999 for a 20GB 3080.

If AMD beats it at the same price point, I'll go AMD. Less power draw, and higher OC potential is likely, which means it may trade blows with a stock 3080.

Can you imagine being the owner of a 10gb 3080 and a few months later, the 20gb version comes out for the same price or close to it?

With the new AMD cards coming out, it's not like nVidia can raise prices on the 20gb 3080

Also, after I waited inline at Microcenter on the 17th of last month for around 7 hours to get my RTX 3080, I was a little surprised that it cost me $853 with tax for the XC3 Ultra EVGA. This is why I'm saying, I don't think there is a lot of room for nVidia and pricing on 20gb cards. $1000 seems ... obscene at this point.

How much is this new AMD card supposed to cost that might be close in performance to the RTX 3080 ?

With the new AMD cards coming out, it's not like nVidia can raise prices on the 20gb 3080

Also, after I waited inline at Microcenter on the 17th of last month for around 7 hours to get my RTX 3080, I was a little surprised that it cost me $853 with tax for the XC3 Ultra EVGA. This is why I'm saying, I don't think there is a lot of room for nVidia and pricing on 20gb cards. $1000 seems ... obscene at this point.
Oh they can, and will. And when you are paying $1400 for 24 GB and ~10% more performance with a 3090, it's not obscene at all.

And by that I mean, it is obscene, but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility, and is in fact likely.

I don't mind paying $899 for a 20 GB 3080 if it means I can get it tomorrow without the current scalper games, though since I have a couple of 9/21-22 evga notifies cautiously optimistic I get one in next 4-6 weeks. Absolute worse case scenario is going back to a 2080 ti when they drop to under 600 in coming weeks esp evga b stock drops, the scalpers can pickle their 3080s for all I care, not gonna pay them a dime.

If AMD beats it at the same price point, I'll go AMD. Less power draw, and higher OC potential is likely, which means it may trade blows with a stock 3080.
AMD is not going to overclock. You haven’t been able to significantly overclock AMD GPUs since before Fury X days. They eek out all the performance they can standard, just like Nvidia has been doing the last couple gens..

Are 3080s really going for $1500-1600 on ebay or is that fake?

I don’t think I could bring myself to be that much of a ... bad person.. but I am looking at my 3080 and that is tempting.

Last edited:

I don’t think I could bring myself to be that much of a ... bad person.. but I am looking at my 3080 and that is tempting.

Just wait man. Seriously, this will clear up before you know it and you can have one at MSRP. I want a 3080, or maybe even 3090 too but there's no reason to pay a ton. I mean look at it this way: If you pay $1500 for a 3080 now, that means that if you just waited a month or two you could have a 3090 for the same money.

Just wait man. Seriously, this will clear up before you know it and you can have one at MSRP. I want a 3080, or maybe even 3090 too but there's no reason to pay a ton. I mean look at it this way: If you pay $1500 for a 3080 now, that means that if you just waited a month or two you could have a 3090 for the same money.

He means that it's tempting to sell his 3080 for that much scratch and turn a profit.

This is the extent of the ebay depravity. I feel some anti scalping laws are in order for sites like this...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201011-182935_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20201011-182935_eBay.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 0
My understanding is that AMDs top card will compete with the 3070, not the 3080 or 3090.

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/1...agship-launching-by-thanksgiving-for-549-699/

where have you been? You mean destroying the 3070 and almost matching up with the 3080. That is what AMD showed and that actually might even be the top card according to MLID. So this notion that its competing with the 3070 when the card they showed benches that are close to 3080 doesn't hold up.

clearly the article is conflicted with itself. They say it will compete with 3080 based on older MLID video and then in conclusion put the same card competing with 3070 lol.

don't do it.... some noob scammer will buy it and then file for a return, mail you back a brick, and you'll say wait hey! while ebay moves $1500 from your account back to his, non-disputable.

don't do it.... some noob scammer will buy it and then file for a return, mail you back a brick, and you'll say wait hey! while ebay moves $1500 from your account back to his, non-disputable.

Yeah I won’t. I gift a lot of my old hardware or sell cheap on [H]. I was just slightly shocked it’s at $1600 lol.

I second that, don't trust ebay for anything video card related rt now. I sold my zotac 2080 ti for 725 locally and the buyer ended up selling it on eBay for 800 ( I just happened to chance upon it randomly lol) in a week since he got a 3080 for 1100 lol . Hoping for his sake that someone actually wanted to pay about 850 (ebay charges tax for everyone) for an out of warranty 2080 ti with a non functional LED this late in the game. If you wanted/needed one, EVGA b stocks have been around 720 regularly even less.

20k seems unrealistic for a single drop. That’s probably as many or more cards that have been sold to date in NA.

Oh they can, and will. And when you are paying $1400 for 24 GB and ~10% more performance with a 3090, it's not obscene at all.

And by that I mean, it is obscene, but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility, and is in fact likely.

I have a 3090 .... yeah, the 10% uplift is at the low-end of what you actually get. I've seen 10 - 15 - 20 - 30 - 40% performance gains over my old 2080 ti. As far money, it didn't phase me as I've planned and prepared ( saved ) starting 2 years ago.

For example. Borderlands 3 on ultra settings @ 4K .. I get 90 - 95FPS ...... AMD's Demo on the 8th for the 5800x and new Big Navi, 60FPS ....

The RTX 3090 is still going to be king for awhile. If you have the money, it's not just 10% ... make the jump.

Cyberpunk 2077 .... with a 10900K @ 5.3ghz all cores stable 1.42 volts, 360 rad, 10 x 120 fans, EVGA RTX 3090, 32GB 4400mhz @ 18-18-18 displayed on an LG OLED C9 ... will be ... Amazing. I'm going to anticipate 90 - 150fps

I have a 3090 .... yeah, the 10% uplift is at the low-end of what you actually get. I've seen 10 - 15 - 20 - 30 - 40% performance gains over my old 2080 ti. As far money, it didn't phase me as I've planned and prepared ( saved ) starting 2 years ago.

For example. Borderlands 3 on ultra settings @ 4K .. I get 90 - 95FPS ...... AMD's Demo on the 8th for the 5800x and new Big Navi, 60FPS ....

The RTX 3090 is still going to be king for awhile. If you have the money, it's not just 10% ... make the jump.

Cyberpunk 2077 .... with a 10900K @ 5.3ghz all cores stable 1.42 volts, 360 rad, 10 x 120 fans, EVGA RTX 3090, 32GB 4400mhz @ 18-18-18 displayed on an LG OLED C9 ... will be ... Amazing. I'm going to anticipate 90 - 150fps

That's cool. I was talking ~10% over a 3080.

I don't know about that 20k number, but those TUF non oc numbers are believable. My TUF order was originally set for Dec but I got emails on Friday then again today moving the date to eventually this Friday.

No one ever said it was 10% over 2080ti. It’s like 11% avg over 3080. Make the jump? It’s not just 10%?

Enjoy your card and 3080 is the king for the money.

Also big Navi was 61 FPS in dx12 bad ass quality. 3080 gets in the 50s with same quality settings. So no you won’t be getting 95 FPS at bad ass quality with 3090. May be at ultra but not at badass quality.

They sold 3 million 970s the first quarter of that releasing... they have to ramp these numbers at some point. Think of the shareholders!
At some point soon, the 3070 and 3060 Tis need to be available in plenty. The 2xxx series is out of stock across the board and the only cards left in stock are some 1660/2060s and even they are running low. Good way to get rid of old stock but not a viable business model unless ebay scalpers are the new official resellers. As much as I am for capitalism, at this point I hope these scalpers get scalped in return...and get 'not as described' bricks back for thanksgiving.

They sold 3 million 970s the first quarter of that releasing... they have to ramp these numbers at some point. Think of the shareholders!

Adjusted for inflation, the 970 debuted at $361. What does that have to do with the 3080?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back