Official [H] Star Wars:The Old Republic Thread

according to twitter "If you're unable to click 'Play' on your #SWTOR launcher, please be patient. We're gradually letting people in, restart your launcher."

so its a exit and open and exit and open launcher till you get in beta right now.......

edit: well i just got in

Their marketing and informational department must have been hired from the retarded basket weavers over at NCSoft. Not informative, not descriptive, not helpful, just bland dumb worthless information.

I'm cancelling my pre-order. If this dumb shit is any indicator how they handle the game management, it won't be worth playing and I've been waiting for this for a LONG LONG time.

People in the beta, I know you can't be specific, but what is your overall impression of the game ?

- A blockbuster hit, very addictive, and WoW killer ?

- Or something that needs work, and could be great in 6 - 12 months time ?

- Or a WarHammer Online instant fail, game sucks ?

People in the beta, I know you can't be specific, but what is your overall impression of the game ?

It's very fun.

I don't want to go into specifics, but I've been in the beta for several months and do not think it will be a success past the 2-3 month timeframe. Of course, they have done a lot over the last build or two, so who knows... maybe they'll pull a hat trick. It's really a toss-up at this time to be honest. The important thing is that the combat is fun, at least... it falls short on content though. Were I to have to say either way, I'd say it's going to fail.

Last edited:
I got an invite but i can't login to the website to check if its for this weekend or another weekend. The buttons on the site do nothing (for anyone who knows html they link to # which is null).

Their website and servers are getting pounded; seems they sent out a shit ton of invites for this weekend.

Their website and servers are getting pounded; seems they sent out a shit ton of invites for this weekend.

This. The opening cinematic was sweet. I then changed my graphics settings, chose a server at random, got put in queue and the game will do nothing now. Just sits with the "thinking" animation playing. Have to ctrl-alt-del to get out of the game. Restarting just gets me back to the thinking screen. Looks like I'll try again tomorrow.

ugh so much for min requirements, lowered everything and runs like ass, sigh, guess i wont play until a new PC.

hope they plan to add *alot* of servers 4 hour que is a good way to sink an MMO out of the gate lol

I just got an invite but it says it's for an upcoming weekend and more details will be forthcoming. Also, it says that they will be working with other major gaming sites to distribute more beta codes, so there will ample opportunities it seems to get into the betas now.

Patched up and tried to log in. Picked a server, que of over 4000 people, then it goes to a screen of just the logo and a moving thing in the corner with no indication of how long the wait is or where you are currently in the que.

I let it sit for 40 mins then force quit it. Checked the other servers, all over 3000-4000 in the que.

So they expect me to sit there and wait with no clue where I sit in line or how long it might be?

I'm thinking......no.

*uninstalls and goes back to Skyrim*

So this was my experience. Played a sith warrior to level 5. Uninstalled. Love the Star Wars universe but that isn't enough for me to overlook what I experienced. I didn't like the UI, the graphics were horrible. I wouldn't care about the graphics if the game play was there. The abilities I had made me feel like I was playing a standard MMO and not a Jedi/Sith lord. The combat system to me should of been similar to AoC but improved to be more fun and fluid. Movement stunk. Quests might as well been collect 30 spider eyes. I felt like I was playing an MMO from 2003. Really disappointed. Galaxies was a far better MMO during its time even though I didn't care for it.

Edit: I was hoping for an epic PvP experience with this game. With the control schemes and combat system there is no way in hell I would even attempt it.

So this was my experience. Played a sith warrior to level 5. Uninstalled. Love the Star Wars universe but that isn't enough for me to overlook what I experienced. I didn't like the UI, the graphics were horrible. I wouldn't care about the graphics if the game play was there. The abilities I had made me feel like I was playing a standard MMO and not a Jedi/Sith lord. The combat system to me should of been similar to AoC but improved to be more fun and fluid. Movement stunk. Quests might as well been collect 30 spider eyes. I felt like I was playing an MMO from 2003. Really disappointed. Galaxies was a far better MMO during its time even though I didn't care for it.

Edit: I was hoping for an epic PvP experience with this game. With the control schemes and combat system there is no way in hell I would even attempt it.

I have read dozens and dozens of beta players reviews, and they all say what you said. Game is just not that good, and is way too much like WoW, but not nearly as good. I see this game failing like WarHammer Online, Once Guild Wars 2 is out and new 4th WoW expansion, SW:ToR will go free to play.

One thing pisses me off, I recall reading an interview like a year ago, with one of the head developers, and he said in SW;ToR your character starts off as hero class, your not some peasant or low life, so they won't have you doing stupid quests to collect 10 of this and 20 of that. Well everything I read says, yes you do go out to collect 20 wamp rats, etc...rinse and repeat :rolleyes: That style of MMO leveling is so dated, come on think up a fresh original way to level up.

After giving it some more thought I can add one further detail. It felt like I was playing the ground combat of Star Trek online again.

My general impressions from playing all day yesterday (to lvl 10):
I think it will be successful because it's Star Wars, but I don't think it's very enjoyable. The general feel of the game is very much like if you took SW:KOTOR, then stretched it out extremely thin so all the plot missions are interspersed with boring, basic quests in an enormous area you have to round back and forth in.

Every quest being voice acted is a much bigger deal than I anticipated and breaks a lot of the typical MMO feel. Except then they tell you how "This has never happened in over 1000 years!' and you see a ton of other people doing the quest, then it really kills the immersion. It's hard to tailor a story to an up-and-coming-super-jedi person when there are hundreds of up-and-coming-super-jedi running around. They do some innovative things with player-only plot quests, which advance the plot and give it a single-player feel. Problem is, they are rare and you have to do the awful side quests to stay leveled up.

In the first 10 levels, I did not make a single meaningful character development choice. Seriously. I chose my character class at the beginning, and after that, everything was simply regurgitated at me. Items/abilities are completely railroaded. After 8 hours of gameplay, I'll finally get to make my first choice of choosing an advanced class! ugh, what an awful experience. I was tempted to try out a different character type, but decided not to because I don't want to go through that again.

The PVP feels completely tacked on. Basically, it takes all the players on the server, levels them up to the same level, and then that's it. You're left with whatever skills/class specialization (I had none at level 10) you have at your level. There are no tiers. The PVP feels very deathmatchy and is your typical MMO affair (like WoW instead of GW, for example) so you can like that or not depending on your playstyle.

It's funny that you say "from 2003". I'd easily say the MMORPGs from 1999-2002 were the best by far. EQ, DAOC, Shadowbane. It's modern MMORPGs that are simplistic theme parks designed for five year old's. I remember having to actually work for things and figure things out. Who would have thought. Oh and walking to school in the snow uphill both ways. ;)

My general impressions from playing all day yesterday (to lvl 10):
I think it will be successful because it's Star Wars, but I don't think it's very enjoyable. The general feel of the game is very much like if you took SW:KOTOR, then stretched it out extremely thin so all the plot missions are interspersed with boring, basic quests in an enormous area you have to round back and forth in.

Every quest being voice acted is a much bigger deal than I anticipated and breaks a lot of the typical MMO feel. Except then they tell you how "This has never happened in over 1000 years!' and you see a ton of other people doing the quest, then it really kills the immersion. It's hard to tailor a story to an up-and-coming-super-jedi person when there are hundreds of up-and-coming-super-jedi running around. They do some innovative things with player-only plot quests, which advance the plot and give it a single-player feel. Problem is, they are rare and you have to do the awful side quests to stay leveled up.

In the first 10 levels, I did not make a single meaningful character development choice. Seriously. I chose my character class at the beginning, and after that, everything was simply regurgitated at me. Items/abilities are completely railroaded. After 8 hours of gameplay, I'll finally get to make my first choice of choosing an advanced class! ugh, what an awful experience. I was tempted to try out a different character type, but decided not to because I don't want to go through that again.

The PVP feels completely tacked on. Basically, it takes all the players on the server, levels them up to the same level, and then that's it. You're left with whatever skills/class specialization (I had none at level 10) you have at your level. There are no tiers. The PVP feels very deathmatchy and is your typical MMO affair (like WoW instead of GW, for example) so you can like that or not depending on your playstyle.

That's a shame that PVP is going so poorly. I thought maybe that would have been one decent aspect of it.

That's a shame that PVP is going so poorly. I thought maybe that would have been one decent aspect of it.

PvP is fine. The quests are the best in any MMO.

The problem is less the game, and more about reviews from people that barely played it. They are doing the equivalent of finishing the Barrens quests and going "yep, WoW sucks!" Before they got a single talent point, or tried crafting, or ran an instance, or...(giant list of shit that the newbie experience doesn't include).

I'm in the "blockbuster hit, very addictive, and WoW killer" camp. Been playing since June.

Some of the complaints here make me laugh. Are you fucking serious? Star Trek Online? Complete bullshit. If people want accurate impressions of this game, my suggestion is to visit a leak website. There you will find non-bullshit impressions of the game, including combat and PvP. Like I would ever trust someone who plays the game to Level frickin five and makes comments.

The problem is less the game, and more about reviews from people that barely played it. They are doing the equivalent of finishing the Barrens quests and going "yep, WoW sucks!" Before they got a single talent point, or tried crafting, or ran an instance, or...(giant list of shit that the newbie experience doesn't include).

I'm in the "blockbuster hit, very addictive, and WoW killer" camp. Been playing since June.

This this and more this.

Well since you mentioned WoW and "The Barrens" I will have to add that most people were clamoring how awesome the game was by then;

1) You already ran through 2 sintances by then (if you were smart and did WC)
2) You already started some of your trade skills which are very handed to you at that point in time
3) You do have skill points, unless my memory is bad and no one reached lvl 10 when they left The Barrens.

From what I'm hearing SWTOR is making everyone wait a long time before they can do much of anything. So far its a lot of people saying "the game is lack luster" followed by one or two people saying "You didn't play long enough!" Well if the game doesn't make me want to play long enough then I sure as hell won't switch games either.

I guess thats one thing WoW did that was great, everything was perfectly viable at lower levels and you didn't have to wait to do stuff.

That is just for beta. During release they will have tiers. Just recalling this offhand but it should be like every 10 levels, they will still level you up stat wise upon release if you are in the lower end of the tier (warhammer style). Which I personally like, makes pvp viable anytime instead of waiting til you're at the last few levels of the tier.

I have read dozens and dozens of beta players reviews, and they all say what you said. Game is just not that good, and is way too much like WoW, but not nearly as good. I see this game failing like WarHammer Online, Once Guild Wars 2 is out and new 4th WoW expansion, SW:ToR will go free to play.

One thing pisses me off, I recall reading an interview like a year ago, with one of the head developers, and he said in SW;ToR your character starts off as hero class, your not some peasant or low life, so they won't have you doing stupid quests to collect 10 of this and 20 of that. Well everything I read says, yes you do go out to collect 20 wamp rats, etc...rinse and repeat :rolleyes: That style of MMO leveling is so dated, come on think up a fresh original way to level up.

I'm dying for The Secret World myself... it's looking to deliver good things :D. New ultima-online style leveling mechanism, three-sided DAOC-style RVR with multiple zones containing large, non-instanced, faction-benefiting capturable keeps/towers/etc., some good PVE content, a few instanced scenarios as well... it looks very intriguing.

That is just for beta. During release they will have tiers. Just recalling this offhand but it should be like every 10 levels, they will still level you up stat wise upon release if you are in the lower end of the tier (warhammer style). Which I personally like, makes pvp viable anytime instead of waiting til you're at the last few levels of the tier.

Nope, they actually will not have hard tiers but only "prefer" to match you with closer levels. The PVP is very much tacked on, and the Ilum "pvp lake" is the size of a Tier 1/2 WAR lake... yet it soft-resets after the battle's done, no real territory control. Basically a non-instanced warfront/warzone/scenario/battleground/whatever term your game uses :p.

The PVE side of things... yeah, that's been covered already.

i've always thought mmo's start out way too slow..lvl 1 just doesn't cut it...start everyone at lvl 25 (mmo comparison wise) ...the mmo community has been around a long time..its not like its a brand new genre and we're all noobs...throw us into some juicy action the moment we log in with a dozen skills...we'll figure it out

i've been playing lotro lately..the first 20 levels i wanted to cut myself..after that, the game 'opened' up..there's no need for that whatsoever in this day and age.. as an example

as far as a wow comparison, wow was the first mmo ALOT of people played..including me and yes, since it was new, my lvl 7 dwarf was freakin fun and awesome...kinda like sex..the first few years is fun...30 years later, i'd rather watch a good football game...lol

It's funny that you say "from 2003". I'd easily say the MMORPGs from 1999-2002 were the best by far. EQ, DAOC, Shadowbane. It's modern MMORPGs that are simplistic theme parks designed for five year old's. I remember having to actually work for things and figure things out. Who would have thought. Oh and walking to school in the snow uphill both ways. ;)

Your right. In the time period you had Asheron's Call, EQ, Planetside and DAOC. I played the hell out of all of them. All were extremely open ended games with mechanics you simply don't find in modern MMO's anymore. I should of been more specific and included bullet points. We can go back and forth forever i'm sure but whats the point? People start calling people names and you can't even have a legitimate conversation anymore.

Someone mentioned that people don't even play through it and give it a chance and that the game opens up. You are right, I was having more fun with each level. To me though it was choosing between hitting my hand with a hammer or a sledge hammer. I'm looking for something new in the MMO world. Not the same 5 party setups, go collect 5 things, rinse and repeat. I may never get what I want but after playing so many MMO's the genre feels stale. Guild Wars 2 is on the horizon and the Secret World. Who knows...

Take someones opinion with a grain of salt. I posted my opinion in response to a question asked. I'm not on a crusade against the game.

The problem with SwTor is that they have taken too much from wow so yes it feels like a wow rehash. If they would have given it just a little extra push I think it could have been great, but as it stands I'll go with the meh that other folks have given it.

I just got into the beta this weekend and after 5 levels ... it's pretty much the same exact game as WoW, AION, LotRO, EQ2 (insert game name here), and the graphics are awful.

I'm not going to listen to the people who say "you need to play past level 10, 20, 25, etc. to really enjoy the game". To me, first impressions are everything, and my first impression of this game is that it really sucks.

Sorry Bioware, you need to do a lot more than simply add voice acting to a MMO to make me buy it. It's a shame too, I was really looking forward to this game for a long time and planned on buying the collector's edition. Another great example of dumbing down a game/genre/franchise to cater to the masses and try to make the most money possible.

I just got into the beta this weekend and after 5 levels ... it's pretty much the same exact game as WoW, AION, LotRO, EQ2 (insert game name here), and the graphics are awful.

I'm not going to listen to the people who say "you need to play past level 10, 20, 25, etc. to really enjoy the game". To me, first impressions are everything, and my first impression of this game is that it really sucks.

Sorry Bioware, you need to do a lot more than simply add voice acting to a MMO to make me buy it. It's a shame too, I was really looking forward to this game for a long time and planned on buying the collector's edition. Another great example of dumbing down a game/genre/franchise to cater to the masses and try to make the most money possible.

I have gone well beyond 25, lol... to the fangirls, it doesn't get better... it gets much worse.

I completely agree, The entire time I was doing my level 1-10 zone I was constantly comparing it to wow, and in almost every way this game is better. This game has by far the best leveling experience of any mmo I have played. As for the character direction stuff, Killing people instead of doing extra crap is awesome.

I'm dying for The Secret World myself... it's looking to deliver good things :D. New ultima-online style leveling mechanism, three-sided DAOC-style RVR with multiple zones containing large, non-instanced, faction-benefiting capturable keeps/towers/etc., some good PVE content, a few instanced scenarios as well... it looks very intriguing.

As much as I want TSW to succeed, just keep in mind that Funcom is in charge... which basically guarantees a buggy mess upon release.

If anyone wants in the beta I have a key for it, first one to pm me can have it.

Edit - Taken now.

Last edited:
I'm liking it. It may be nothing new and revolutionary but so what? I really don't think every game that comes out needs to be the next BIG THING. If you like wow and you like star wars you should like this game. If you are sick of wow and want the next big thing I don't think you'll find it here.

I love the voice acting and the story so far is pretty good. Gameplay is a lot like wow but there is also a big kotor feeling to the game. I like both those game so this does not bug me in the slightest.

It is very easy game. I think the regular quest need to be a little harder. That is my biggest issue. Some other things need polished but I expect those to be taken care of over time. It was nice after a few hours of skyrim to be able to jump in and play without taking time to figure out the controls :)

I'm liking it. It may be nothing new and revolutionary but so what? I really don't think every game that comes out needs to be the next BIG THING. If you like wow and you like star wars you should like this game. If you are sick of wow and want the next big thing I don't think you'll find it here.

I love the voice acting and the story so far is pretty good. Gameplay is a lot like wow but there is also a big kotor feeling to the game. I like both those game so this does not bug me in the slightest.

It is very easy game. I think the regular quest need to be a little harder. That is my biggest issue. Some other things need polished but I expect those to be taken care of over time. It was nice after a few hours of skyrim to be able to jump in and play without taking time to figure out the controls :)

You make the game sound good ? I still play WoW now 7yrs into it already :eek: At times I am bored with the game, but other times I still like it a lot. If SW:ToR is just WoW in space that's cool with me.

Back