Official Galaxy Nexus Thread

Got the phone, got the update. Now back to work to make up the 2 hours I spent waiting in line...

Ok, so I got my Nexus this morning. (thank goodness for flexible work hours... looks like I'll be in late tonight. worth it.)

There is an OTA update already. Does anybody know anything about this? I'm wondering if it has anything to do with what Verizon was cooking up while delaying the launch for so long. Or is this something from google?

They released the info for it, DroidLife

So I played with the galaxy nexus and the rezound at the same time.

Galaxy nexus is quite smooth but does have some choppiness at times (I restarted the phone just in case as well). My droid x with liberty 2.0 is smoother. Camera app was legit, but can't comment on photo quality since all you have is the little screen too look at.

Speaker phone is louder than my droid x. No widget to turn off data so I thought that was kind of lame.

Disabling apps is sweet.

I was disappointed to learn that the nexus had a pentile screen. After playing with it in person it isn't as bad as I thought but it is quite noticeable that it is pentile next to the rezound. Text isn't as sharp and all white backgrounds don't look smooth they have a dot matrix printer look that I can see. Also I noticed that white lines sometimes turn into green lines when they are the boarders of the screen. Here is a pic, its kind of hard to see in the pic but extremely prominent in person.

Last edited:
I must say the Nexus is a bit of an anti-climax. Like many I was sucked into the hype and waited anxiously for this supposed top of the line phone but the reports tend to suggest it's good but not great and the major selling point is the ICS software. I look forward to more reviews of since the Verizon release and more info from all of you.

Yes, the main selling point of the Nexus phones is the software. Every Nexus phone has been inferior hardware wise to other phones at the time. They're a niche product.

The Nexus one gets a maybe. The Evo released shortly after had a larger screen and the Inc had 8GB extra internal storage.

The pentile screens short falls are not even remotely enough to cause me the heart ache it causes others. The number of times just happen to have a white line up against the edge long enough to actually notice is probably close to never. I just cant imagine I will ever notice these things unless people point them out.

How's the screen size? That might be my biggest issue. Not sure 4.65 will feel right. Why the hell did they have to make it so big? Every other great Android phone with a proper screen size was not released on VZW.

From the post on droid-life:

Took me a little while to figure this out, but when you go to the add/edit services you actually have to click the Add to Cart button on the service option and THEN you will see the option for a $0.00 keep existing plan option.

This is a tough one to sit through..I really want a new phone (another Droid1 owner) but I want to see some more legit reviews of it and a comparison to the Droid 4. Hopefully the D4 isn't too far off, I can hold out just a tad longer til after christmas so I'm hoping there's still some good deals after launch.

Ya I spent a good 20 minutes going through the add/edit services. I didn't see the keep existing plan anywhere. I'm going to check again here shortly. Amazon was only a few dollars more but was oos. Anyone went through let's talk and have anything positive or negative to say about them.

How's the screen size? That might be my biggest issue. Not sure 4.65 will feel right. Why the hell did they have to make it so big? Every other great Android phone with a proper screen size was not released on VZW.

Its not bad at all actually. The phone itself isnt much bigger than my dx. I was surprised how well they packed this screen in here.

Let's talk is back ordered now...grr. Guess I'll just swing by the Verizon store on the way home.

Posting from my new Galaxy Nexus. Compared to my OG Droid, this is like going at warp speed lol.

Yes, the main selling point of the Nexus phones is the software. Every Nexus phone has been inferior hardware wise to other phones at the time. They're a niche product.

The Nexus one gets a maybe. The Evo released shortly after had a larger screen and the Inc had 8GB extra internal storage.

If I was on Verizon, no question the Galaxy-Nexus is the best device on that network hands down. But, I am with Sprint, and am super happy with my Galaxy SII, rooted with great custom ROM, and ICS theme.

If Sprint does get the new Nexus won't be until Spring time when they launch their LTE network, and then the Galaxy S3 will not be too far off, with much better spec's, and even better screen, supposed to be Super AMOLED+ with high resolution, no pentile. But such is the life with technology, always something better coming out in the future. Right now the Galaxy-Neuxs is the best out. Samsung is supposed to make a major phone announcement next month with Intel + Google, a new Sprint Galaxy series phone, running Android 4.0 and Intel's new Medfield processor, curious to learn what that is all about ?

But I am curious about this "choppy / lag" comments I read on XDA, some say there is slight lag with the phone. My GS2 has zero lag whatsoever, is it because the different GPU's and resolutions making the Nexus have a slight lag once in awhile ?

Last edited:
Yes they are, 25 bucks for the extended battery, had to pick up one. Loving this thing.
If only my area had 4G, oh well.

Can the LTE/4G be turned off to save battery ? Sprint phones have the 4G toggle, I NEVER use the 4G because it kills the battery life, and WiMax sucks anyways, so spotty and hard to find a constant connection. And Verizon's 3G is probably better than Sprint's 4G LOL

Can the LTE/4G be turned off to save battery ? Sprint phones have the 4G toggle, I NEVER use the 4G because it kills the battery life, and WiMax sucks anyways, so spotty and hard to find a constant connection. And Verizon's 3G is probably better than Sprint's 4G LOL

Yes, they have a CDMA option only in the settings so you won't kill the battery.

Picked one up. It was a tough call between this and the rezound. I like the rezounds screen better but with no permanent root and tons of crap apps installed and the nexus being open I went for the nexus. 4g is legit. I get 1 bar in my basement but get 5mb down and 4mb up.

I did get a ton of force closes on the launcher while trying to remove desktop short cuts while installing apps apparently it doesn't like to do both at the same time.

Got it for $200 since we had a $100 loyalty coupon. And I got to keep my $15 data plan since I only use 20mb a month. Now I got 4g 20mb!

Picked one up. It was a tough call between this and the rezound. I like the rezounds screen better but with no permanent root and tons of crap apps installed and the nexus being open I went for the nexus.

Same here, dude. Though I do know that there is an app for the Rezound that removes all the bloatware and can even remove SenseUI.

Can't wait till my Gnex gets here tomorrow! I'm one of the lucky ones that got through on LetsTalk.com :D:D

Does ICS reserver memory you can't see? If I go to how much memory is free it shows 360 used and 330 free. Thats only 690mb, wheres the rest of the 1024mb?

So I got one as well. Picked it up earlier at lunch. I've been looking at the screen and when I have a pretty much white only color I can see like bands and stuff going vertically and horizontally across. Is this normal?

Was considering picking one up through Amazon Wireless today for $149.99 as a new customer but stupid system wouldn't let me be approved because of having a laptop data connect plan with Verizon already. So I'll have to pay $250 as an upgrade I guess or buy one through Verizon for $299.

I doubt that I would keep it though because most all the reports coming out from users on XDA-Developers forum who have both the Galaxy Note and Galaxy Nexus is that the Nexus is a solid phone but the Note is consistently better at basically everything other than not having ICS yet which is soon coming. And to me going from 5.3" to 4.65" would probably just be too much of a downgrade. My iPhone 3GS feels like a little kids toy now after using the Galaxy Note for the past few weeks.

So I got one as well. Picked it up earlier at lunch. I've been looking at the screen and when I have a pretty much white only color I can see like bands and stuff going vertically and horizontally across. Is this normal?

Is like a dot matrix printer look? If so that is just how pentile looks.

anyone else got problems with 4g? my nexus is staying on 3g and "sometimes" goes to 4g then back to 3g..... my coworkers thunderbolt next to me doesnt have this problem.

@androidforums seems like a bunch of guys are having the same problem

So I finally got to see the Nexus up close and while it is awesome, I felt like it wasn't so much better than the rezound to make my decision easier.
I think if you are all into rooting it and such then great, but I just don't see that it is such a big deal.
Help me out.

I went to order mine through letstalk. They said my line isnt offically able to upgrade until Dec 31 but they can ship it 7 days early or something. For $174.00 its was a no brainer. I ordered and will have it shipped next week. I can wait, my rooted inc2 will hold me through.

anyone else got problems with 4g? my nexus is staying on 3g and "sometimes" goes to 4g then back to 3g..... my coworkers thunderbolt next to me doesnt have this problem.

@androidforums seems like a bunch of guys are having the same problem

all of the 4G phones pretty much go through this phase, my Charge did also but it is now stable. I think VZW took some risks in launching their 4G so fast, and some of that was really quickly thrown together radio firmware for the devices. on the Charge we got incremental radio updates as "leaks" over at Rootzwiki in which the data connectivity and switching or "hunting" issues went away until we got our 2.3.6 Gingerbread update complete with official new radio. Now it is really solid.

Be patient. It gets better

Does ICS reserver memory you can't see? If I go to how much memory is free it shows 360 used and 330 free. Thats only 690mb, wheres the rest of the 1024mb?

your best bet is to stop monitoring free memory. there is no need for you to worry or force it to be something....android will handle it, in the early days, like android 1.5~1.6 Eclair times, it would be beneficial to use apps to free up memory but not anymore. Android has since come a long way. do yourself a favor, don't look at it, enjoy it

If you're seeing banding on a white background, try cutting off auto-brightness.. auto-bright is a bit too aggressive.

I find myself comfortable at about 25% brightness.. at that level I can't see any banding in white backgrounds and only see a bit in light gray.. not noticeable anywhere else.

edit - pretty sure the memory between the 690mb and the 1024mb is being used by the gpu.. it has a lot of pixels to render, afterall.

glad to finally have this phone. it's almost everything i had hoped... the screen is a little disappointing. i have never paid attention to pentile argument but it is slightly annoying. not enough to outweigh all the positives though. this thing is a treat aesthetically in every other way.

wait until supercurio gets his paws into the screen tuning for it like the other Samsung devices, amazing what these screens can look like when he gets done

wait until supercurio gets his paws into the screen tuning for it like the other Samsung devices, amazing what these screens can look like when he gets done

His tweaking can't fix pentile ;)

That said, it's not very noticeable on this device for most people because of the high resolution... text is usually the give-away for most folks.. but it looks pretty sharp on the nexus.. unless you've seen another 720p phone like the rezound..

His tweaking can't fix pentile ;)

That said, it's not very noticeable on this device for most people because of the high resolution... text is usually the give-away for most folks.. but it looks pretty sharp on the nexus.. unless you've seen another 720p phone like the rezound..

i know but it makes it better than out of the box. I guess we Charge users just got lucky we got the SAMOLED + displays...

all of the 4G phones pretty much go through this phase, my Charge did also but it is now stable. I think VZW took some risks in launching their 4G so fast, and some of that was really quickly thrown together radio firmware for the devices. on the Charge we got incremental radio updates as "leaks" over at Rootzwiki in which the data connectivity and switching or "hunting" issues went away until we got our 2.3.6 Gingerbread update complete with official new radio. Now it is really solid.

Be patient. It gets better

good to know! i guess ill wait it out. thanks man.

i'm not a fan of cases but where is the best place to order screen protectors from?

where should i watch for this?

here is his site

http://project-voodoo.org/

which is somewhat dated. he also does other Samsung Galaxy based improvements like Voodoo ext4 file conversion and unlocking the full audio capabilities of the Wolfson audio codec in many of them

more up to the minute would be to follow "supercurio" on twitter

then monitor the forums at XDA where he releases apps and updates, his R&D Screen Tuning app and Voodoo Control apps are on the market too. None of them will work on the Nexus yet, but anything he does for it will be great.

Am I ever going to get a device without a speck of dust under the screen.

I ordered one this morning, but I got home and found out that my Discover card blocked my purchase to Verizon because it thought it was a fraudulent transaction. Maybe they know something I don't...

I ordered one this morning, but I got home and found out that my Discover card blocked my purchase to Verizon because it thought it was a fraudulent transaction. Maybe they know something I don't...

I bought one in verizon store and immediately got fraud alert from discover also :)

Upgraded from ogdroid this morning, after some use:
- The phone feels very fast and responsive at everything, HUGE difference vs my old one.
- Liking the new os so far, though I want the menu button back.
- Battery drain doesn't look bad, but the phone did not pick up 4g at work, so not sure what happens then.
- Pentile screen looks ok to me (after changing horrible default power settings to make it not grey).
- Call quality and speaker volume are good.
- Few screen transition animations are choppy sometimes, the "buttery smooth" reviewers lie!
- Have unstable 1 bar 4g at home dropping into 3g and speed tests shows something like 4300 kbps 10 minutes away from googles main campus, no 4g at work, that's just not cool.
- Google clearly cannot afford to hire an artist to draw them some decent icons, fortunately this thing is easy to mod :)

Overall happy with the new phone. If you are upgrading from the Mighty Droid you'll like it (or razr or rezound), speed increases in all tasks are dramatic. The Lte radio needs to be fixed though.

Back