Official BenQ FP241VW (not FP241W) Thread. Reviews and Pics

It seems so,

I have a March 2007 built unit that has no options for overscan in the advanced picture menu. Very disappointing. I love this panel. No dead pixels out of the box and the display is sharp. But even with 1:1 on component, or anything except DVI, the overscan is a deal killer.

Compared to the LG246WP, which in itself is sharp as well, the BenQ seems sharper and has better contrast. Unfortunately, trying to wait for some phantom fix while the return period progresses is a hard way to spend 600+ dollars Canadian.

I've emailed BenQ Canada in hopes of an answer concerning the availability of firmware for us Canadian chumps, so I'll see what they say, or if they say anything.

10e

I've emailed BenQ Canada in hopes of an answer concerning the availability of firmware for us Canadian chumps, so I'll see what they say, or if they say anything.
I've emailed BenQ Canada about a month ago and didn't receive a reply yet. :rolleyes:
I really wanted the BenQ, but I couldn't wait on them anymore so I just went ahead and got me another screen (the Sharp 32", which I'm very pleased with - 'was double the price, but it does everything I wanted the BenQ to do).

I just picked up a FP241WZ at NCIX.com couple days ago on its regular weekly sale: CDN$609 + CDN$30 for 30 days zero dead pixel warranty. That is probably the lowest ever. FP241VW is on sale for CDN$649 + CDN$32.5 zero dead pixel warranty. Both are cheaper than FP241W this week until Tuesday night.

Unlike FP241W and FP241VW, it seems like NCIX.com is not ordering new shipment for FP241WZ. I saw someone mentioned on Amazon.com that BenQ is not making FP241WZ anymore as the cost is too high. I bet the new 24" or 26" models will be using TN panels since Samsung is doing the same thing on their new models to cut the price down.

Hi,

DigitalVersus listed the FP241VW as having an average of 47.3ms of input lag which is approximately 3 frames. However, I have yet to hear any complains of input lag from FP241vw users. This is one of the monitor I am considering, so anybody have any opinion or evidence to the contrary ?

Thanks .

Hi,

DigitalVersus listed the FP241VW as having an average of 47.3ms of input lag which is approximately 3 frames. However, I have yet to hear any complains of input lag from FP241vw users. This is one of the monitor I am considering, so anybody have any opinion or evidence to the contrary ?

Thanks .

Anyone ? :confused:

Has Benq worked out the various imperfections in the fp241vw's yet? I just need something that is going to work perfectly with my 360....as for 24" monitors, this seems to be the only half-decent choice, other than that I'm debating between the 32" shap aquos (1080p), and the westinghouse 37"(and as to whether either one would actually fit on my desk, LOL). however, I've heared that the sharp has bugs when you hook up a pc 2 it......what is so hard about making a perfect monitor???? especially when there are people like us who will pay the extra money for quality!!

LoL, this whole thread is nothing but 5 pages of people asking questions, and no solid facts.....i feel even more confused after reading this!! facts, please! who has this monitor and hooked it up to a 360, and does it work flawlessly? TIA

LoL, this whole thread is nothing but 5 pages of people asking questions, and no solid facts.....i feel even more confused after reading this!! facts, please! who has this monitor and hooked it up to a 360, and does it work flawlessly? TIA

Someone with FP241WZ (January 2007 built) has already confirmed the new XBOX360 (Falcon chipset?) does work flawlessly via HDMI:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1231877

So FP241VW should be samething.

hdmi does work perfectly with a march build 2007 . i just bought and playing on the xbox 360 halo edition right now.

Anyone get one from NCIX recently? Is there a VW with a September manufacturing date like the W?

I wanted to buy the FP241w but they're OOS almost everywhere,

Since this one has the VESA connection, how hard would it be to remove the stupid silver frame?

The company I bought my 241W offered me one of these as a replacement for my RMA'd 241W. Honestly, I have reservations about it and am seriously considering just asking for my money back. Regarding the overscan issue, supposedly there is a June 2007 firmware addressing the issue. I have asked them if they can guarantee me one with this firmware and that will weigh heavily in my decision. Also, does anyone know if the VW uses the same panel as on the 241W? If not, what are the differences between the two and which is better?

Ok, it took a few hours of research, but the VW and W models DO have the same panel. Only difference is that the VW has BFI, and I have no idea what that is, but my guess is it's the anti-ghosting technology.

See for yourself here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

Model Response Time Panel
BenQ FP241W 6ms G2G 24"WS AU Optronics P-MVA (M240UW01 V0)
BenQ FP241VW 6ms G2G + BFI 24"WS AU Optronics P-MVA (M240UW01 V0)

The company I bought my 241W offered me one of these as a replacement for my RMA'd 241W. Honestly, I have reservations about it and am seriously considering just asking for my money back. Regarding the overscan issue, supposedly there is a June 2007 firmware addressing the issue. I have asked them if they can guarantee me one with this firmware and that will weigh heavily in my decision. Also, does anyone know if the VW uses the same panel as on the 241W? If not, what are the differences between the two and which is better?

Ok, it took a few hours of research, but the VW and W models DO have the same panel. Only difference is that the VW has BFI, and I have no idea what that is, but my guess is it's the anti-ghosting technology.

See for yourself here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

Model Response Time Panel
BenQ FP241W 6ms G2G 24"WS AU Optronics P-MVA (M240UW01 V0)
BenQ FP241VW 6ms G2G + BFI 24"WS AU Optronics P-MVA (M240UW01 V0)

Wrong! Wrong! tftcentral is wrong!

All FP241W, WZ, and VW use AU Optronics A-MVA (M240UW01 V2).

FP241W orignally started off using M240UW01 V0 panel, but V0 doesn't support BFI (black frame insertion). So when WZ and VW came out with BFI, V2 panels were used for WZ and VW. When V0 was no longer produced by AU Optronics, W then also started using V2 panel. A-MVA is an advanced version of P-MVA.

FP241W/WZ/VW has no ghosting problem even with fast action games, so BFI is not needed. Actually BFI created flickering problem and diminished brightness when it is turned on so it is an useless feature.

Couple things VW lack comparing to W are height adjustment and pivot (protrait view). However, VW gained HDMI audio input->headphone output jack in addition to BFI.

VW is the top-of-line model comparing to W. If the store is offering you VW for the same price as W, then you got a great deal, provided the VW you are getting has the latest firmware with overscanning option.

I have a Benq F241PVW with a March firmdate and my biggest complaint about it is the crushed blacks on the display.
I am curious if this is an issue with all Benq FP241VW displays or did I get stuck with a lemon blacks wise?
When I run the THX video test that comes with FOX DVDs I can see all of the 9 grey boxes on my CRT display when I turn the brightness up, but on the Benq FP241VW I can only see 6 of the grey boxes when I turn up the RBG levels to their highest.

The reason I went with the Benq is because I read reviews that said this display had the blackest black they had seen on a lcd display, but if what saw is what I currently see on my Benq, I guess their idea of black is a glowing grey even with the room lights on. I did not expect a lcd to match a crt for blacks but I did not expect it to be this bad either.

So do you other Benq FP241VW owners also have have crushed blacks as well?

Thanks for your time.

I have a Benq F241PVW with a March firmdate and my biggest complaint about it is the crushed blacks on the display.
I am curious if this is an issue with all Benq FP241VW displays or did I get stuck with a lemon blacks wise?
When I run the THX video test that comes with FOX DVDs I can see all of the 9 grey boxes on my CRT display when I turn the brightness up, but on the Benq FP241VW I can only see 6 of the grey boxes when I turn up the RBG levels to their highest.

The reason I went with the Benq is because I read reviews that said this display had the blackest black they had seen on a lcd display, but if what saw is what I currently see on my Benq, I guess their idea of black is a glowing grey even with the room lights on. I did not expect a lcd to match a crt for blacks but I did not expect it to be this bad either.

So do you other Benq FP241VW owners also have have crushed blacks as well?

Thanks for your time.

I notice all the LCD displays when using analog inputs (component, S-video, or composite), shadow details are very poor (black crush). So just wondering which input on the FP241VW when you were viewing FOX DVD?

>> So just wondering which input on the FP241VW when you were viewing FOX DVD?

The HDMI input, I assumed to be the best of the inputs.

>> So just wondering which input on the FP241VW when you were viewing FOX DVD?

The HDMI input, I assumed to be the best of the inputs.

I thought the definition of black crush means the loss of shadow details. But from what I gathered of your sentences, you are referring to lack of deep black.

Have you tried of different video sources (computer, XBOX 360, PS3) to determine if your finding is consistent or just your FOX DVD or your DVD player?

I do not think this is the case with all Benq FP241VW's as i do not have this issue with mine and all the reviews that i browsed do not mention it! Maybe check ur video colour settings in Nvidia control panel (or ATI's equivelant) as they often need to be different to the desktop colour settings in order to get a good picture.

I do not think this is the case with all Benq FP241VW's as i do not have this issue with mine and all the reviews that i browsed do not mention it! Maybe check ur video colour settings in Nvidia control panel (or ATI's equivelant) as they often need to be different to the desktop colour settings in order to get a good picture.

Does your VW have overscan option?

What is its build date?

I will check the build date as well as the overscan option and let you know. I bought it end of November last yr, i think the manufacture date was April or May... but i will confirm. I am at work at the moment :)

Have you tried of different video sources (computer, XBOX 360, PS3) to determine if your finding is consistent or just your FOX DVD or your DVD player?

I get pretty much the same result when connected to the computer, as for adjusting the graphic card's control, while that maybe a good workaround is not I believe an indication of a displays true ability, color space wise. For instance just using a decent CRT'c control I could get all 9 grey boxes to show up.

What I meant to ask is anybody able to see more then 6 of the grey boxes in the THX video test (the one with the THX logo and a shadow) using just the benq FP241VW's controls.

As for the definition of black crush, my display has no little or no shadow details (for instance the scene in Alien where they are outside of the alien spaceship next to the openings all I saw was a large black (more greyish) area and blasting the display to max values was the only way to make the scene visible, the THX video test is just the best standard I can come up with at this time.

Thanks for all the replys.

Does your VW have overscan option?

What is its build date?

My WV's build date is April and it does not have the overscan option as far as i can see. It should be under the advanced options shouldnt it? However, there are no 'crushed blacks' with my monitor when watching movies, gaming or during any use for that matter.
The over scan issue doesnt bother me as i preffer to watch movies in my lounge on my TV anyway. This was bought to just serve my PC as i am not a fan of consoles. I do watch the occasional serie on my PC when my girlfriend wants to watch her program on tv, but there is nothing wrong with the picture at all :) Dont know if it may be due to the fact that my GTX has an HDCP chip, as from what i understand this makes it able to adjust to just about any display? Maybe im wrong about this, but if anyone could clarify this it would be great.

hi I'm interested in purchasing this monitor for mostly console use. So only the monitor with manufacture dates after sept 2007 have overscan option?

March 2007 doesn't overscan?

thanks

is benq willing to fix this?

Hey there,

You may want to play with the contrast setting. Most of these monitors come with the contrast setting blasted to 100 and this tends to reduce the detail level of really bright whites and dark greys.

I had the same issue with the FP241VW and the FP241W and reducing the contrast helped a fair bit.

The magic is reducing the contrast to give you the best bright and shadow details and keep the screen from looking overly washed out.

Regards,

10e

hi I'm interested in purchasing this monitor for mostly console use. So only the monitor with manufacture dates after sept 2007 have overscan option?

March 2007 doesn't overscan?

thanks

is benq willing to fix this?

In North America, the December 2007 build FP241VW has overscan option.

I have one on order from Ncix which is supposed to be Dec. 07 build and has the overscan option.

I'll let you know what it's like this week, when it comes in and I've had a chance to play with it. I also have a Westinghouse L2410NM sitting on my desk, and if everything is good with the FP241VW (ie. no dead or marginal pixels), will use these two monitors for as long as I can.

Balance, from what I've heard, BenQ is willing to update firmware of VW models in North America. If you have one and desire the overscan, give their support line a call. I know from this forum that the W/WZ users are out of luck in North America concerning firwmare updates going forward, but not sure about the VW users.

From having tried the VW last year (March build) I don't remember having shadow detail loss or black crush, but sometimes with VA type panels you have to be mindful of your horizontal viewing angle, as it can cause contrast shifts on dark details.

Regards,

10e

I just opened the box holding the monitor box and it's a March 2007 build date.

I didn't even bother opening it. It's going back. I was pretty unhappy with this, knowing that they will not update the firmware for me.

Now I have to RMA it to NCIX and get my money back.What a pisser, paying for shipping again.

10e

I just opened the box holding the monitor box and it's a March 2007 build date.
Who sold you the March 2007 monitor? I'm thinking of ordering from newegg this week. Thanks.

I purchased it from NCIX up here in Canada. Not sure if NewEgg can help you with that, but you might want to contact them to find out if they can get you the build date for it.

I'm currently trying to find out if I can send them back this one and pick one up with a newer build date. Otherwise I'll have to send it back via RMA. More shipping charges YAY.

Regards,

10e

Who sold you the March 2007 monitor? I'm thinking of ordering from newegg this week. Thanks.

This monitor is around a year old already. It seems to me that Companies come out with newer versions every year. Is this true, will BenQ be coming out with a newer 24" panel anytime soon? Anyone know that best places to check this stuff?

Ok,

So today I picked up a December 2007 firmware straight from my distributor (I work for an IT reseller), and I will try it tonight and let you know what I think. This is supposed to be the model with 1:1 and overscan on/off controls, and proper VGA sizing with the 360 at 1920x1080.

Let's hope she's a winner. I think she will be, and I'll finally put to rest my quest (rhymes and that's pathetic).

Regards,

10e

I'm a little confused...

If I hook my PC up through DVI, it should give me 1:1 correct?

So why is it that people seem to be saying that hooking up, say a PS3, through HDMI cuts off the image on the left and right using 1:1? Shouldn't it NOT cut off anything from the edges and place two 60 pixel bars on the top and bottom?

I'm a little confused...

If I hook my PC up through DVI, it should give me 1:1 correct?

So why is it that people seem to be saying that hooking up, say a PS3, through HDMI cuts off the image on the left and right using 1:1? Shouldn't it NOT cut off anything from the edges and place two 60 pixel bars on the top and bottom?

The DVI port is fine, the HDMI port is the one with the 1:1 overscan issue.

Back