Oculus Quest 2

I used Cable Matters 5m active usb-c cable from Amazon and it worked flawlessly. I still use it to charge my Quest 2 during wireless gameplay when I am running low on juice.
Thanks MaZa, will have a look

I got a Quest 2 over Christmas and enjoy it more than I expected I would. So far the standalone games are great, I'm trying to not dump a bunch of money on games but I went with Eleven Table Tennis, The Climb, Thrill of the Fight Boxing and Beat Saber initially. All work well and it is great not having any cables to deal with.

PC VR over wireless works better than I expected. I use a separate Archer AX20 WIFI 6 router and tweaked the Virtual Desktop settings. With Virtual Desktop at High settings and 90Mbps encode rate I was getting 40ish ms which seemed high, but after enabling boost clocks and sliced encoding and disabling buffering I was able to get it down to 28-30 ms which is about what I was hoping for. I don't notice any input lag in games but I only plan to play lower impact games over wireless. Sliced encoding was a big help to hit stable sub-30ms which is funny because for some other people they didn't notice any difference with it enabled. On my rig it saved a good 7-10 ms.

For sim racing I got a Fasgear 10 foot USB C 3.1 Gen 2 90 degree cable and it works well with Oculus Link. It tested at 2.8 Gbps and I haven't had any issues with it yet. iRacing and Project Cars 2 look good with it, but ACC looked very blurry which surprised me. Might be a game setting on that one though. I still think that clarity could be better so I may look at getting a Reverb G2 down the line if I continue to use VR for Sim racing.

I also got the elite headstrap, it helps a bit over the default one but I'm not sure if it's worth the price. I didn't have any hotspots with the default strap but it is easier to take the headset on and off with the Elite strap and it is more stable while moving around.

Overall the headset is a great deal as long as you can overlook the Facebook stuff. The fact that it can do standalone games and wireless PC VR was the selling point for me, if I ever get serious enough to get a high end PC VR headset I will still used this for the standalone games. I enjoy Beat Saber a lot more than I thought I would.

I got a Quest 2 over Christmas and enjoy it more than I expected I would. So far the standalone games are great, I'm trying to not dump a bunch of money on games but I went with Eleven Table Tennis, The Climb, Thrill of the Fight Boxing and Beat Saber initially. All work well and it is great not having any cables to deal with.

PC VR over wireless works better than I expected. I use a separate Archer AX20 WIFI 6 router and tweaked the Virtual Desktop settings. With Virtual Desktop at High settings and 90Mbps encode rate I was getting 40ish ms which seemed high, but after enabling boost clocks and sliced encoding and disabling buffering I was able to get it down to 28-30 ms which is about what I was hoping for. I don't notice any input lag in games but I only plan to play lower impact games over wireless. Sliced encoding was a big help to hit stable sub-30ms which is funny because for some other people they didn't notice any difference with it enabled. On my rig it saved a good 7-10 ms.

For sim racing I got a Fasgear 10 foot USB C 3.1 Gen 2 90 degree cable and it works well with Oculus Link. It tested at 2.8 Gbps and I haven't had any issues with it yet. iRacing and Project Cars 2 look good with it, but ACC looked very blurry which surprised me. Might be a game setting on that one though. I still think that clarity could be better so I may look at getting a Reverb G2 down the line if I continue to use VR for Sim racing.

I also got the elite headstrap, it helps a bit over the default one but I'm not sure if it's worth the price. I didn't have any hotspots with the default strap but it is easier to take the headset on and off with the Elite strap and it is more stable while moving around.

Overall the headset is a great deal as long as you can overlook the Facebook stuff. The fact that it can do standalone games and wireless PC VR was the selling point for me, if I ever get serious enough to get a high end PC VR headset I will still used this for the standalone games. I enjoy Beat Saber a lot more than I thought I would.

Great choices of games. I would also recommend Pistol Whip if you like Beat Saber.

How well sliced encoding works depends on your GPU. Turing and Pascal GPUs work really well with it on. For other GPUs from Nvidia or any AMD GPU your results with sliced encoding will be hit and miss.

What GPU are you using with the Quest 2? Because there are some settings that you can change that really make big difference to the clarity and the compression artifacts when using the link cable. If you go into the settings on the Oculus program on your computer and into devices then graphic preferences. You will see two options render resolution and refresh rate. The more powerful your GPU the higher you can push the render resolution. Just remember that the values in render resolution are not super sampling and a setting of 1 isn't actually native resolution. Because of the way lenses work in VR, the actual native resolution is when you set the render resolution to 1.7. But, you need a lot of GPU power.

The other setting that makes a difference is encoding bitrate. You will have to open the Oculus Debug tool to do that. Again, this value depends on how good your GPU is. 200 to 250 is probably good enough for most people.

Apologies for boring you if you have done all this already :)

Great choices of games. I would also recommend Pistol Whip if you like Beat Saber.

How well sliced encoding works depends on your GPU. Turing and Pascal GPUs work really well with it on. For other GPUs from Nvidia or any AMD GPU your results with sliced encoding will be hit and miss.

What GPU are you using with the Quest 2? Because there are some settings that you can change that really make big difference to the clarity and the compression artifacts when using the link cable. If you go into the settings on the Oculus program on your computer and into devices then graphic preferences. You will see two options render resolution and refresh rate. The more powerful your GPU the higher you can push the render resolution. Just remember that the values in render resolution are not super sampling and a setting of 1 isn't actually native resolution. Because of the way lenses work in VR, the actual native resolution is when you set the render resolution to 1.7. But, you need a lot of GPU power.

The other setting that makes a difference is encoding bitrate. You will have to open the Oculus Debug tool to do that. Again, this value depends on how good your GPU is. 200 to 250 is probably good enough for most people.

Apologies for boring you if you have done all this already :)

Thanks, I have to dig into the settings a bit more. I have a 3080 so it can probably handle most racing titles at 1.5, I was running it at 1.3 initially. ACC which looked the worst is also the most demanding so I might have to play with settings to get it to run at 90 Hz without drops at 1.5. The thing is the cockpit of the car looked fine, but the other cars on the track looked bad so I suspect there are more in-game options I have to look at. I didn't set bandwidth yet either so I will give that a try. I don't see 1.7 as an option, my slider only goes to 1.5 or is that a debug setting?

Pistol Whip was on my list to try, I might get it next. I also got the Humble VR Bundle last month so I have a few titles to try via Virtual Desktop which should keep me busy. I did try Zero Caliber VR from that pack but started feeling sick, which happened the last time I tried an FPS on an OG Vive years back. Something about the movement in FPS games doesn't agree with me yet.

I'm waiting on my Quest 2 256 + Oculus advanced strap and link cable. I should have it in the next few weeks. I'm coming from a CV1 that I absolutely loved but hated the setup and re-setup all the freaking time. I'm curious to see how it works w/the USB-C port on my 2080Ti.

As for my current setup... I was able to sell my Rift, but it has been hard to sell the Rift S (unless I take a huge cut) due to how well the Quest 2 is doing. Honestly, I haven't touched my RIft S and have exclusively been using Virtual Desktop Streamer with my Quest 1. So for me, the most logical step up would be the Quest 2, since the next closest device would be the Index with the wireless dongle (I can't remember the name), but that is $1500+. But I don't have the PC power to push 120-144Hz (outside of beat saber, maybe), so it feels like the Index would not be fully utilized.

What all do you use Virtual Desktop Streamer for exactly?

What all do you use Virtual Desktop Streamer for exactly?
Cordless PC VR gameplay as everyone else said. Allows someone to throw away the Oculus Link cable and use WiFi instead. When well optimized with a dedicated 2nd WiFi router connected to PC just for Quest 2 only -- then it looks and feels identical (quality wise, latency wise).

But also works for ordinary PC games:

Virtual Desktop Streamer is also useful for playing PC-based games wirelessly with your Quest controllers emulating wireless gamepads

For example, playing MAME emulator or Cyberpunk 2077 wirelessly on your Quest 2, using your Quest like an IMAX-sized gaming monitor or a CRT-tube stand-in, complete with virtual seats in a virtual cinema. Or a simulated luxury home's big cinema room, etc. Or rendered as a virtual gaming monitor sitting in a virtual computer room. Virtual Desktop lets you choose that!

Quest 2 is also a kick-ass 2D gaming monitor with excellent motion blur reduction capabilities far better than ULMB / DyAc / PureXP, so naturally Blur Busters is quite fascinated by the use of a virtual monitor rendered in VR -- at least as an occasional substitute for a desktop monitor. Quest 2 does it well enough that the experience is superior to many existing desktop gaming monitors (in color quality & motion blur reduction quality). A big virtual 2D screen. It doesn't have to be 3D -- just a large 2D screen.

There is more lag due to overheads, but that's not critical for a lot of solo play, and Quest 2 Remote Desktop is one of the world's lowest lag remote-desktopping experience that is less laggier than most HDTVs, using ultra high quality H.EVC compression at ultra high bit rates, at ultra low latencies, that almost always have zero macroblock artifacts (Blu Ray quality streaming of your computer desktop) -- so it's a legitimate desktop gaming monitor substitute for a lot of situations. As far as remote desktopping goes, it's pratically native-looking (full frame rate, full resolution, no noticeable compression artifacts), transimtted over your 11ac/11ax WiFi in real time in just ~22ms latency or thereabouts -- if you have a good WiFi router especially dedicated to Quest 2 -- much less lag than many TVs! And CRT clarity, no ghosting, no crosstalk, no motion blur! It's pratically reaching the territory of E-Cinema bitrates, the bitrates they use at the local digital cinema movie theaters (just pre-covid).

Also, if you use vorpX, you can also get stereoscopic too over a wireless connection -- like NVIDIA 3D Vision. But more comfortable than shutter glasses because both eyes are getting images simultaneously rather than alternatingly. Basically a floating IMAX sized 2D screen with 3D stereoscopic support can be emulated with Quest 2. Not as comfortable as true 6dof 3D VR games, but better quality than shutter glasses. Playing a bunch of legacy 3D games in stereoscopic mode, such as Half Life Black Mesa.

There are other apps such as BigScreen (which has a built in remote desktopping feature too; more stereoscopic playback support) that can be used instead of Virtual Desktop, but I've been using Virtual Desktop as the choice. Purchased the neutered version, then sideloaded the 'enhanced' verison via SideQuest, which unlocked the wireless VR streaming feature.

While it is not low-lag enough for CS:GO esports but if lag is not important, Quest 2 can have better non-VR 2D desktop gaming monitor quality than >90% of gaming monitors at its price range, if your display priorities includes specific things such as motion blur reduction. And 22ms lag is less than a lot of television sets, including LG CX OLEDs in its best BFI mode.

Let that sink in -- an equivalent of a 1080p 2D desktop monitor strapped to your eyes that surpasses the color & motion clarity of a similarly priced physical monitor sitting on your desk. That's what Virtual Desktop Streamer's purpose is for.

Also, the ~4K resolution territory of Quest 2 means at all head rotations/tilts, means 1080p still looks full resolution, however it scales it, thanks to sheer supersampling/nyquist factor. You do want a fast GPU though to minimize the codec overhead, so that only a few percent of your GPU is used to perceptually losslessly stream your 2D game from your PC to your VR headset.

We need more VR headsets capable of doing this; as this is a brand new way of playing non-VR 2D PC games that can be a superior experience for specific games, if you're very picky about things like CRT motion clarity, or is farsighted, or your desktop monitor is a crappy 75 Hz LCD with lesser color quality than Quest 2, etc. Running CRT clarity framerate=Hz Cyberpunk 2077 via RTX 3080 streaming perceptually losslessly to a Quest 2 needs to be seen to be believed as one of the many examples -- want a Sony FW900 CRT strapped to your eyes!? Bingo.
(Note: For playing Cyberpunk 2077 streamed to Quest 2, turn off film grain noise first though if you want sufficiently perceptually lossless compression!).

IMPORTANT for eyeglasses wearers: Big caveat for Quest-as-desktop-monitor: Quest 2 is tricky for very nearsighted unless you buy a lens-retrofit/addon. But if you're naturally farsighted and see clearly at far distances -- this can be a bonus is that if you're farsighted vision, the Quest 2 potentially avoids the need for glasses for such farsighted people. You can display a simulated IMAX screen about 100 feet away, if you wanted, and let your eyes rest on that, with fewer side effects for some than eyeglasses. For the farsighted, put away your computer glasses, and put on the Quest 2 to compute at your PC. Also, the void-screen environment allows you to adjust the size/distance of the simulated 1080p screen. But YMMV, no two prescriptions is alike and will not succeed on all, and VR games will vary distances much more than VR Desktop (fixed 2D screen at custom distance), so bear in mind you may be able to sometimes take off glasses in Virtual Desktop but need to put on glasses for VR games (and may not fit while wearing headset without adaptors/etc). You've been warned in advance of the pros/cons for glasses-wearers.

Last edited:
Well I ordered on on Amazon today. Went with the quest since $400 isn’t much if I decide I don’t like vr for whatever reason.

I originally bought this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087JKBM6W

With mixed results on myroomscale PC its fine but my higher spec motion simrig PC, doesn't like it and drops a lot. To be fair this may be a USB issue since there is quite a bit more plugged into it. I wouldn't pay $80 for the "official" one.

I just picked up this one will see tonight if it works any better...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087NKYVL9/

Along with a new power USB hub, unfortunately all my systems are SFF so trying to suss out if its the quest2, my USB being overloaded, the cable or Link's implementation has proven difficult. I may just have to bite it and try the WiFi/sidequest/VirtDesk route

I can confirm this cable works much better for my use case. I didn't have a single drop in 3 hours of use.

I grabbed this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085T5HWH3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and so far it's worked flawlessly.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Does anyone have any recommendations/links to good replacement head straps for this?
My six year old niece loves playing but her head is a bit small for the existing straps and I was wondering if something existed that would fit a smaller head more comfortably but also be comfortable for those of us with large heads?

I have the official Elite Strap, it works fine but is a bit pricey. They also had a bad run of them so early ones seemed to have issues with cracking.

Does anyone have any recommendations/links to good replacement head straps for this?
My six year old niece loves playing but her head is a bit small for the existing straps and I was wondering if something existed that would fit a smaller head more comfortably but also be comfortable for those of us with large heads?

I'd like to know as well. If I end up liking the quest 2 I will get one for my nephew.

I just grabbed the Elite Strap, hopefully that will work for her. I'll let you know how she likes it ///AMG.

I also grabbed the Anker charging dock which should make storing and charging the Quest much easier.

I got the GOMRVR strap (cheap Chinese stuff) and it's more comfortable than the Elite strap (but no battery). It's cheap, very light and really well built. I read reviews saying it's the most comfortable strap - and I have to fully agree.

I'm thinking I'll use this strap when doing wired PC gaming (since I've ran into several games that I struggled to get working over Virtual Desktop or really need ASW) and put the Elite strap back on the rest of the time. Or just return the Elite and get a different battery addon. Undecided yet.

There is a new smaller version of the old Aliexpress replacement strap and apparently it is very good. Only reason why I have not ordered one yet is because it uses foam for padding, which is bad because it would be drenched in sweat during my Thrill If The Fight sessions. 😅 That, and I want a strap with a battery.

I have the Vive DAS on its way in with some $20 3D printed adapters. Look up FrankenQuest 2.
Scratch that, not sure if it’s good for younglings.

Last edited:
The material they use for the face insert feels like sand paper to me. Had to order a silicone one on Amazon.

I'm waiting on my Quest 2 256 + Oculus advanced strap and link cable. I should have it in the next few weeks. I'm coming from a CV1 that I absolutely loved but hated the setup and re-setup all the freaking time. I'm curious to see how it works w/the USB-C port on my 2080Ti.
Just tried out the Quest 2 last night coming from a CV1 which I have been using for years. Out of the box, the screen clarity is def better and its soooooooooo easy to setup. Not having to align the sensors (I have 3) and drawing the boundary is way faster. And for some reason I really enjoy walking out of the boundary area and looking through the cameras, makes me feel like i'm in some scifi movie. Plus it freaks my wife out that I can see her with the hmd on.

I don't use any oculus store apps other than virtual desktop to stream games from my PC, and everything facebook/oculus is blocked through pi-hole. You can actually play the Oculus Rift games through Virtual Desktop also, which is awesome. Using wireless, the latency is ~12ms which is acceptable especially when you dont have any cords. The stock headstrap is poopoo, but Thursday the Vive Deluxe strap arrives so hopefully that remedies the situation. All in all, you should enjoy the improvements.

Used Virtual Desktop on the rift and its been really great. I don't have any Wifi 6 routers yet but I havent had an issue.

I am actually blown away, I remember trying the demo for the first rift and I was really nauseous really fast and wasn't impressed. But I have to say the only issue I have so far is the weight (very front heavy) and the face insert (really abrasive to my face). I bought the elite strap already and another face insert to see if I can fix those issues. But for about $500 all in it seems like a steal for the experience.

Just joined the Quest 2 club this weekend. Compared to my Rift CV1, the leap in resolution was instantly noticeable. Text is crisp and the screen door effect is much less obvious. I tempered my expectations about the inside-out tracking, figured that the CV1 and its external sensors would have done a better job and... I was flat out wrong. Granted if I hide my controllers from the HMD, it does struggle, but the Quest 2 is more accurate, reliable, and responsive than the CV1 setup. Only complaint I really have is that it would have been nice to have an OLED again, particularly in games like Vader Immortal where it's so. fucking. dark. all the time, so the Quest 2 black levels leave a bit to be desired. Overall, if this is how first generation consumer VR rolled out, I can't help but feel like it would have been an instant hit.

Last edited:
HP Reverb G2 with 3090 owner here. My brother (in town), and my best friend (out of state now) both have Quest 2's and convinced me to get one so we could game together. It's been 2 weeks now, and I haven't touched my G2 since getting the Quest 2. We're too busy playing Top Golf, Eleven Table Tennis and Real VR Fishing. I'm having an absolute blast, especially in Top Golf. I'm a near scratch golfer in real life, and am blown away by how realistic the full swing driving range is. They're working on a course right now that you can play with full swings, and once that happens, I'm going to be sucked in even more. I can't believe I dropped over $2k on my G2 and 3090 and it's collecting dust. I'm very tempted to just sell them!

HP Reverb G2 with 3090 owner here. My brother (in town), and my best friend (out of state now) both have Quest 2's and convinced me to get one so we could game together. It's been 2 weeks now, and I haven't touched my G2 since getting the Quest 2. We're too busy playing Top Golf, Eleven Table Tennis and Real VR Fishing. I'm having an absolute blast, especially in Top Golf. I'm a near scratch golfer in real life, and am blown away by how realistic the full swing driving range is. They're working on a course right now that you can play with full swings, and once that happens, I'm going to be sucked in even more. I can't believe I dropped over $2k on my G2 and 3090 and it's collecting dust. I'm very tempted to just sell them!
Remember, you can plug your Quest 2 into the PC and gain access to a whole new set of games that will use your 3090.

It's amazing how good the Quest 2 is. The freedom of Wireless, play anywhere gaming is so appealing. Once you get used to it, it's very hard to go back. I don't have a Reverb G2, but, I haven't played any PCVR games in ages on my Quest 2.

For those who do, what do you use for earsbuds/headphones? Ideally something that's purpose built for VR so there's no wire management. The on-strap speakers are okay, especially if I throw a hoodie on over my head, but sometimes I want to play at night without making a bunch of noise.

I saw Logitech has a G333 VR-ready earbud set, but $50 is quite pricey for what's essentially a set of earbuds with a shortened cable. Also found these cheapo $14 buds, but IME you get what you pay for too.

Koss Porta Pro or KSC75's. I use the $35 porta pros. You will need a bit of wire management but its not too hard. You can bind up the cables or 3D print an adapter (or buy one). Sound quality on Koss is well regarded for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Koss-Porta-Headphones-Black-Silver/dp/B00001P4ZH/
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/j8hbzy/to_everyone_getting_the_quest_2_koss_porta_pro/
Solid. I have several FDM and SLA 3D printers on hand, so I can definitely make this work. Thanks!

For those who do, what do you use for earsbuds/headphones? Ideally something that's purpose built for VR so there's no wire management. The on-strap speakers are okay, especially if I throw a hoodie on over my head, but sometimes I want to play at night without making a bunch of noise
If you're scoffing at $50, you probably won't want to do what I do, but I'm using Shure SE535 earbuds with a short 45cm FiiO MMCX cable. They work pretty well, as the cable is just about the right length for the headset. You can also freely swap the original long cable, a bluetooth cable, or the short cable, depending on the device, though I found it convenient to just leave the 535s with my Quest 2 after upgrading to something else for general use.

I was just going to use my xm4 with a short 3.5mm cable for audio.

I've got XM3's as well but depending on what you are playing can get rather hot and sweaty very quickly with the heavy padding and closed cups. Obviously if its a racing sim or something like that should work just fine.

For those who do, what do you use for earsbuds/headphones? Ideally something that's purpose built for VR so there's no wire management. The on-strap speakers are okay, especially if I throw a hoodie on over my head, but sometimes I want to play at night without making a bunch of noise.

I saw Logitech has a G333 VR-ready earbud set, but $50 is quite pricey for what's essentially a set of earbuds with a shortened cable. Also found these cheapo $14 buds, but IME you get what you pay for too.
Are you not interested in the Vive Deluxe Audio strap? I just put it on my q2 this morning and its incredible. It's way more comfortable and the sound is as good or better than my CV1

I also use my Koss Porta Pro's with my Quest. It sounds very close to what CV1 had. (some say they are Porta Pro elements in CV1) Eventually I will probably get these once the headstrap, facial interface and prescription lense upgrades are cleared.

https://www.engineeredaf.com

I know 3d printing the clip-ons and using elements from my Koss' would be cheaper but these look like they are finely made and have the cable situation neatly sorted out.

I bought real vr fishing last night and I loved it so much it convinced me. I ordered 2 more quest 2s for my brother in law and nephew. We love to go fishing and it would be nice to just fish together in vr when we can’t find time to go out to fish.

I have to observe, that even Chief Blur Buster — recently spent 50:50 on Steam (PC, PCVR) and Oculus Store (standalone Quest 2). The rest (GoG, Epic) consist of under 10% of personal offwork spend. Oculus Store may be just about to become the emerging Steam Gorilla of VR (good/bad).

VR game developers have gone “wha, wha just happened?” with 10x revenue boom in November, and what appears to be (for some of them) almost 50x revenue boom in January — more than 20% of VR games in Oculus Store is earning over a million dollars for their developers now.

At this stage, I now think NVIDIA needs to consider getting into the standalone VR market, by selling chips to this market. Perhaps a SteamVR standalone headset based on an Android fork? Since NVIDIA now owns ARM, there is a kind of opportunity to merge ARM and NVIDIA GPU power for future standalone VR headsets.

You play a game like Superhot or Star Wars Galaxy Edge, with a smattering of Beat Saber exercise or “zen” apps like Alcove / fishing / virtual vacations.

Ideally, I would like to see competition between 2 or 3 standalone brands. With Facebook apparently estimated to earn a few billion dollars revenue annually VR alone (headsets + appstore) soley on Quest 2, the market is ripe for a bit more diversification.

I wonder if there will be some mobile AMD options in this fray too in the next few years, maybe driving with a future Apple-Oakley stylish VR thingy. Apple seems up to something, and there may be a big splash there later this decade (though maybe only AR at first)

This is a major new gaming markets being created unbeknownst to many PC/console game players who don’t realize how good VR has become in the last 5 years. It’s like 50% of the way to a Star Trek Holodeck (if you have good optics in the VR headset compatible with your vision), light years beyond those crappy “Google Cardboard” toy demos.

Quest 2 even has superior graphics (standalone) than say, Playstation VR (connected to PS4), and you get cordless full 360 degree 6dof roomscale (even big spaces up to 25x25) to boot, as a bonus. You play Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge and the graphics are better than many PC VR games from merely five years ago.

Last edited:
To play devil's advocate...

Quest games cost too much. £19 for 2-3 hours of game play is sort of a joke.

Virtual Desktop has noticeable input delay. Not sure if anyone has measured it or not. Wireless freedom is a great thing, but it must be adding at least 50-100ms. Alyx weapon tracking was noticeably laggy for me. Beat Saber is unplayable. One tip I have here is to use your desktop wifi if you have it in AP mode and pick a dedicated 5Ghz channel nothing else uses. This is a good reason to get a motherboard with onboard WiFi if building a PC.

We need more triple A titles for VR. All we have is Alyx. If the market is booming hopefully we'll get this.

Although Quest2+elite headset is a massive comfort improvement over Quest 1, I still find it uncomfortable for long periods of time. It also gets sweaty, and "VR face" happens. If I'm tired, I also seem prone to getting sick when playing VR. This is also, I think, due to the limited IPD adjustment. So this mostly keeps my Quest2 in its box except when I play a dedicated VR game.

The quest 2 LCD is awesome for motion clarity. I think this is probably directly due to Carmack's influence. He really cares about this stuff at a low level.

I think VR will finally be there, for me at least, when we have: 1. True low latency wireless PCVR. 2. Several AAA games. 3. Much lighter headsets with more comfortable facial interfaces.

With the Quest2 being available, I also think the Index and G2 are a waste of money. Although the Facebook login is a huge meh.

Virtual Desktop has noticeable input delay. Not sure if anyone has measured it or not. Wireless freedom is a great thing, but it must be adding at least 50-100ms. Alyx weapon tracking was noticeably laggy for me. Beat Saber is unplayable. One tip I have here is to use your desktop wifi if you have it in AP mode and pick a dedicated 5Ghz channel nothing else uses. This is a good reason to get a motherboard with onboard WiFi if building a PC.

We need more triple A titles for VR. All we have is Alyx. If the market is booming hopefully we'll get this.

Although Quest2+elite headset is a massive comfort improvement over Quest 1, I still find it uncomfortable for long periods of time. It also gets sweaty, and "VR face" happens. If I'm tired, I also seem prone to getting sick when playing VR. This is also, I think, due to the limited IPD adjustment. So this mostly keeps my Quest2 in its box except when I play a dedicated VR game.

The quest 2 LCD is awesome for motion clarity. I think this is probably directly due to Carmack's influence. He really cares about this stuff at a low level.

I think VR will finally be there, for me at least, when we have: 1. True low latency wireless PCVR. 2. Several AAA games. 3. Much lighter headsets with more comfortable facial interfaces.

With the Quest2 being available, I also think the Index and G2 are a waste of money. Although the Facebook login is a huge meh.
network lag for me with a dedicated 802.11ac router is about 30-40ms, but it really doesnt bother me much. Then again I havent really played much else other than Alyx, not sure how it affects my other games.

You can actually turn on performance metrics and see what your latency is like.

My Quest 1 with UniFi FlexHDs is between 35-40, I’ve heard the Quest 2 should be between 30-35 with the same equipment. If not, I’ll pickup a dedicated router for it.

Not saying it is perfect, but I can still compete in some expert+ songs online on beat saber. Could also just be getting used to it and adjusting for the delay... Meh.

Ok, First question, What's your IPD?

I think you need to go back and work on some of your settings in Virtual Desktop. In most games I get between 20 and 30ms latency. In some badly optimised games like Asgard's Wrath I get between 30 and 40ms. If you enable "performance overlay" in the Virtual desktop settings you will see the latency for each section. Network, encode, decode and game. So you can see where the problem lies. The developer of Virtual desktop recommends getting a dedicated router to use for the Quest 2 over a PCIe network card or onboard wifi. After testing both, I have to agree, the router, setup as an access point, was faster and more stable.

As for the comfort, it's hard to get this right for everyone. For every headset there are mods you can buy/print off to make the headset more comfortable. The elite strap might not be right for you. There are other options like the GomVr halo strap. Also, VR Cover do facial interfaces. They are really good and are a big step up in comfort levels. Another thing that helps comfort levels is a counter weight. The Elite Strap with the battery is an example. Since you have an elite strap already, there are custom mods for sale that you can get for the Elite Strap that allows you to attach a battery.

Lastly, getting sick in VR. You have to stop playing once you start feeling sick, and not just stop playing the game, you have to take off the headset and go do something else until the nausea has completely passed away. Long time users are the worst at this. They think they should have their VR legs and they try to keep fighting through the sick feeling. It's the wrong thing to do. The second you start to feel nauseous, take off the headset.

My IPD is 69mm so right at the edge of the quest2 comfort zone (which is really optimized for ~63mm).

Using the dual band 5Ghz antenna on my PC worked perfectly fine - I could pick a dedicated 40Mhz band and max everything. It doesn't make sense why this would be worse than a dedicated router, unless you don't know what you're doing to set it up, or the onboard Wifi is bad. I haven't actually tried it now in 6 months so maybe things are better, especially on the Quest2. It was still a good experience (I played Alyx mostly this way), but I found the latency noticeable. I don't think any high level beat saber player would use Virtual Desktop, for example - and I'd say that is the golden bar for a low latency experience. It's what Carmack uses to latency check the Oculus headsets himself.

I spent a lot of time and money trying to get comfort down on my Quest 1, and I never could. Quest 2 is much better - I have the elite headstrap w/ battery pack and it's pretty comfortable, except for the facial interface being sort of crap. However current headsets still require strapping a 500g-1000g weight to your head, which is heavy. Probably my realistic limit for long term wear, based on experience w/ different high end headphones, is around 300g. A 300g well balanced VR headset would probably move it into the "incredibly comfortable" category for me. I know this is all incredibly subjective.

VR nausea is also a big issue. I agree you gotta stop immediately when you start feeling it. I had really bad motion sickness playing VR back when I was first doing it. I had some issues with frame rate drops on Alyx, and it made me feel really, really sick - had to lie down for like 2 hours lol. I'm sort of prone to motion sickness in general though, so I realize that is part of it. Anyone that has issues w/ motion sickness may struggle with VR at times.

Last edited:
Back