Oculus Quest 2

MaZa

2[H]4U
Might as well start an owners thread since there is not one yet. I have used my Quest 2 a little bit for now and here are my impressions coming from CV1.

First, the image is absolutely beautiful. There is still just a hint of SDE but it is equivalent to what you see in 27" 1080p monitor. Like one of those cheap 144hz VA monitors from AOC and myriad others using the same panel. It is only visible if you look for it but during game it dissappears and everything looks crystal clear. There is, to my dissapointment, some glare. An improvement over CV1 but I am picky about this and it still bothers me. Edge to edge clarity is not particularly good either, but then again my IPD is a little bit bigger than 68mm and I have to use the glasses spacer so my eyes are further away from the sweetspot than what is optimal. Blacks are not as bad as I feared. I mean, they are grey but CV1 did not show true blacks either. I can live with it, for now.

Audio is terrible. CV1 had perfect audio solution, right behind Index in quality so why the hell Oculus stopped using it? Oh well, I dug up an old pair of Koss Porta Pros and they work perfectly, they do not get in the way and they sound fantastic for the price.

After CV1 the strap on Quest 2 sucks. It offers no support what so ever, all the weight is resting on your face. I have to change this to something else, ASAP.

These are my thoughts.

The Quest2 was definitely a step forward visually, but then 3 steps back where the crappy head-strap, lack of a mechanical IDP adjustment control and the abandonment of the CV1's superior audio solution are concerned.

I'm not going to support/purchase anything else Quest/Oculus related (Sold my CV1, still own an original Quest) until Facebook drops the requirement of having to establish a Facebook account with owning/using their VR hardware.

Seems I'm not the only one that thinks requiring a Facebook account to use VR hardware is unreasonable:

https://www.cnet.com/news/facebook-...tigation-over-handling-of-oculus-vr-division/
https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/10...ebook-oculus-account-requirements-competition

As much as I hate Facebook I have to give them credit where credit is due. It is thanks to Facebook and Oculus why VR is getting so big right now, they really pushed it hard into the hands of generic consumers and prevented it from becoming just be another niche in the hands of the enthusiasts.

However, I agree. Mandatory Facebook account was a huge mistake. I really hope the Monopoly lawsuits that Facebook is facing result in some changes for this.

Yeah my impressions of the Quest 2 are similar to yours (coming from CV1 & Rift S).

I ordered 2 different head straps (including the official Elite one) because the stock is so bad I have to hold the headset with one hand to get a decent fit and clear picture. Base price is low, but I'd venture to guess it's a pretty bad experience out of the box for many people. Maybe if you don't have glasses you can tighten it super hard and make it kind of work, but that wouldn't be very comfortable still.

I should be receiving at least one of the two next week so I can finally get back into VR. I tried to put the Rift S back on, but the drop in picture quality was too big, despite the video compression necessary for PCVR with the Quest 2. I have also used my Rift S a little too much I think, the (stock) facial interface isn't very comfortable anymore lol

Reactions: MaZa
like this
Might as well start an owners thread since there is not one yet. I have used my Quest 2 a little bit for now and here are my impressions coming from CV1.

First, the image is absolutely beautiful. There is still just a hint of SDE but it is equivalent to what you see in 27" 1080p monitor. Like one of those cheap 144hz VA monitors from AOC and myriad others using the same panel. It is only visible if you look for it but during game it dissappears and everything looks crystal clear. There is, to my dissapointment, some glare. An improvement over CV1 but I am picky about this and it still bothers me. Edge to edge clarity is not particularly good either, but then again my IPD is a little bit bigger than 68mm and I have to use the glasses spacer so my eyes are further away from the sweetspot than what is optimal. Blacks are not as bad as I feared. I mean, they are grey but CV1 did not show true blacks either. I can live with it, for now.

Audio is terrible. CV1 had perfect audio solution, right behind Index in quality so why the hell Oculus stopped using it? Oh well, I dug up an old pair of Koss Porta Pros and they work perfectly, they do not get in the way and they sound fantastic for the price.

After CV1 the strap on Quest 2 sucks. It offers no support what so ever, all the weight is resting on your face. I have to change this to something else, ASAP.

These are my thoughts.
My experience is different.
First the improvement in image quality is shocking for sure...on that we agree. About the audio...sure is a bit tiny but the CV1 was hardly perfect....I am happy that I can easily just plug in my own headphones for a much more immersive and "rumbling" experience that better match the visuals.
The strap, I have no issue with it and in fact love that it can be so good for just been in bed watching something and for other gaming, I use the Elite strap because I wanted extra battery life). But of course, comfort with a strap is a very subjective thing.
As far as Facebook logins..sure I would prefer not to have to log in to anything but the drama is way overdone for me, so I dont care either way
I am happy they hit a price point where more people is getting into VR so this continues to grow.

Last edited:
So these are being scalped now too? Good thing best buy/USPS just lost mine in the mail. Merry fucking christmas to me. Get to enjoy my continually broken LG CX

So these are being scalped now too? Good thing best buy/USPS just lost mine in the mail. Merry fucking christmas to me. Get to enjoy my continually broken LG CX
it's ridiculous..nothing is safe from the leeches of society..scalpers.

What a weird thing to scalp. This isn't THAT hot item and Oculus is making them relatively quickly as far as I know. You can put a preorder on Oculus.com and it will arrive when it arrives.

There's still plenty of stock in Europe it seems though, scalping makes no sense at all. I didn't pay a cent over MSRP and had plenty of time to make my decision. They have been in stock continuously on amazon.fr and others as far as I can tell. Maybe OOS for a couple days here and there. And they do ship fast from the Oculus website too.

Nothing like the CPU/GPU situation.

well in murica people thought well hey people are making money off PS5, xbox, video cards - let's make the last thing people might get impossible to obtain to as well! Literally being sold for $50-150 over MSRP on ebay and craigslist and nothing in stock.

I just got the Elite strap with battery (they fixed the quality control issues it had, so back in stock) and wow the improvement in comfort is ridiculous! The front/back weight balance is fantastic and it's suddenly really easy to adjust and get a perfectly clear picture.

I still have a cheap Chinese alternative strap on the way, (GOMRVR) because everyone who's tried says it beats everything else comfort wise (and it has no battery so it's lighter) - I might actually use it when doing PCVR with the link since you can't keep the Elite battery connected then anyway.

But I suspect I'll probably end up doing PCVR through Virtual Desktop and Wifi anyway, even for seated games... Not having a cable is just such an absolute total game changer in VR.

I just got the Elite strap with battery (they fixed the quality control issues it had, so back in stock) and wow the improvement in comfort is ridiculous! The front/back weight balance is fantastic and it's suddenly really easy to adjust and get a perfectly clear picture.

I still have a cheap Chinese alternative strap on the way, (GOMRVR) because everyone who's tried says it beats everything else comfort wise (and it has no battery so it's lighter) - I might actually use it when doing PCVR with the link since you can't keep the Elite battery connected then anyway.

But I suspect I'll probably end up doing PCVR through Virtual Desktop and Wifi anyway, even for seated games... Not having a cable is just such an absolute total game changer in VR.

Let me know how the strap situation. I am definetly drooling for the battery strap. But first and foremost I need to get a pair of prescription lenses and wait for VRcover fittings so that I can get my eyes as close to the lensed as possible so I can get my eyes as close to the lenses as possible. The fact that my eyes are off center from the sweetspot kinda bugs me. Me and my ET IPD...

Well I thought I needed lenses, but with this new strap I've found myself in a similar situation to the Rift S, where it's not needed at all. Putting the headset and removing it is not trivial like with the Rift S though, due to the much smaller size. But that does not matter to me, personally. I'm not constantly putting the headset on and off now that we have functional "Passthrough" (looking at the real world through the headset cameras, when needed).

My glasses are pretty large so I don't lose on fov or anything like that. Anyway we are all built differently and I only did a rather quick test, let's see how things hold up when I get to spend more time with it! I could play something like Elite Dangerous several hours in a row with the Rift S for example, without any discomfort.

Well I thought I needed lenses, but with this new strap I've found myself in a similar situation to the Rift S, where it's not needed at all. Putting the headset and removing it is not trivial like with the Rift S though, due to the much smaller size. But that does not matter to me, personally. I'm not constantly putting the headset on and off now that we have functional "Passthrough" (looking at the real world through the headset cameras, when needed).

My glasses are pretty large so I don't lose on fov or anything like that. Anyway we are all built differently and I only did a rather quick test, let's see how things hold up when I get to spend more time with it! I could play something like Elite Dangerous several hours in a row with the Rift S for example, without any discomfort.

My problem is too high IPD. 69-70mm. My eyes are very close to the edge of the sweetspot horizontally. Currently with glasses on and spacer installed the vision gets blurry instantly when I move my eyes left or right. If I take the spacer away and use the headset without glasses the problem is greatly alleviated. Except I cannot see well if I do that due to some myopia on both eyes and astigmatism on right eye... 😅

Yeah my IPD is perfectly average which is a blessing with VR :D Now the myopia and astigmatism on both eyes is no joke (thick glasses) on the other hand, I cannot function at all without correction in real life nor in VR. I've been told by different doctors to avoid contacts though, since apparently my eyes are too dry, hence why I am sticking to glasses.

Reactions: MaZa
like this
As founder of Blur Busters, the "screen technology" in the Quest 2 is of very huge interest to me -- it is apparently one of the fastest LCD's ever released to consumers, with a virtually perfect GtG100% heatmap and zero strobe crosstalk top/center/bottom.

It's shockingly better than OLED (except blacks, but that will be fixed with FALD VR which I saw a prototype of). I've written about how LCD VR has out-engineered OLED VR, in this this post thread, where Oculus Quest 2 has only one-sixth the display motion blur of the original OLED Oculus Rift.

About battery talk -- my favourite USB battery for the Quest is is the Charmast 10400 which can output a whopping 18 watts. It's one of the world's smallest USB-C Power Delivery power bank containing a bidirectional USB-C port that can output/input power very fast. It can recharge the Quest 2 faster than it discharges. And the power bank can recharges faster on an 18W USB-C charger than the Quest 2 can discharge off a second Charmast 10400. So you can hotswap between 2 batteries all day for unlimited Quest 2 battery life, if you wished. Those power banks are surprisingly tiny for quite powerful ultra-fast-charging battery banks available on Amazon. It's just the right weight to counterbalance the headset, by using a velcro strap to strap the battery to the back of the Quest 2 battery strap at back of my head, along with an 8-inch USB-C cable. Or a 4 foot USB-C cable to my pocket, if I prefer not to wear the weight of the battery.

An interesting observation: My vision is farsighted (hard to focus on near-plane items), however, the way Quest 2 optics is designed seems to be far-sighted-friendly, because I can see close objects more clearly in Quest 2 than I can in real life (e.g. objects 12 inches from my face). It's very near-sighted unfriendly though without glasses.

One surprise I found with Quest 2 is that you can just mail an unopened boxed Quest 2 to a 70-year-old in a locked-down nursing home, and they managed to figure out how to set it up without IT technical support (As long as the glasses problem isn't a showstopper for the person). Not to mention that it's cheaper than an annual gym membership with exercise apps such as It's 10x+ easier to setup than any other VR headset, and provide a few nice 3D virtual vacation apps (like Alcove) and 360 degree videos, which probably partly explains why 50% of Quest 2 purchasers are non-gamers. No wonder Oculus Store sales are taking off...

What I would love to do is to see some GtG heatmapping done on the Valve Index LCD or the Quest 2 VR LCD, since at 0.3ms real-world MPRT, it's more than an order of magnitude superior to a 240Hz desktop gaming monitor in motion resolution, with some of the cleanest GtG I've ever seen on any retail LCD ever, and truly beats CRT motion clarity (without color compromise, without ghosting compromise, no duplicate images, no crosstalk!)

What piques my interest is combining these shockingly good VR LCDs with a full array local dimming backlight of several thousand LEDs (MicroLED FALD) -- preferably 100,000 dimming zones to go bloomfree. (Still cheaper than a direct-view MicroLED). I saw a prototype of FALD VR and I hope some vendor implements that for perfect LCD blacks, whether it be Valve Index 2 or Quest 3 or other.

The Quest 2 LCD is fantastic enough to be also a legitimate gaming monitor for regular PC gaming via Virtual Desktop. A bit laggy (but not as laggy as an LG OLED HDTV), but perfectly fine for solo games. Play Cyberpunk 2077 or other games on your PC, but wear your VR headset as your computer monitor staring at an IMAX-sized computer monitor with better quality and less motion blur than your original gaming desktop monitor. Make sure you do framerate=Hz to get the proper CRT effect, so fine-tune the refresh rate to match frame rate (or vice versa). It's like a Sony FW900 strapped to your eyes.

Also, another interesting discovery -- with a hack (i.e. VorpX) and a sufficiently powerful GPU, it will also support those old NVIDIA 3D Vision games (but no need for shutter glasses), viewing at a floating 3DTV screen in front of you that's more comfortable than shutter glasses. The simulated 3D stereoscopic PC computer monitor floating in front of you is visually massively more comfortable and visually less nauseating than Real3D or Disney3D cinema glasses or those old LCD shutter glasses. (Assuming, of course, the VR headset fits your vision profile fine; the headset is understandably heavier, it's much more visually comfortable to stare through than those old 3D movie glasses as it produces more realistic 3D more compatible with your human brain's processing of 3D)

I would like more choices (e.g. a Valve standalone headset etc.) since flexible VR headsets is the way of the future.
- Double as cordless gaming monitor for non-VR games
- Double as cordless stereoscopic monitor for non-VR games
- Double as cordless standalone VR, no computer needed
- Double as PC VR (official corded & unofficial cordless operation)
- Double as an offline movie viewer (sit in an IMAX theater in an airplane seat).

The Quest/Quest 2 is the only headset that can do all the above -- that said, given the Facebook angle -- I would like to see more choices (e.g. Valve standalone) of this incredibly good VR convergence, as much as I am fascinated by the blur-busting screen technologies utilized by VR.

Last edited:
I returned mine because the Link cable would continuously stop working. It never actually happened in a game but just when I would be back on the home screen it would stop working and I would get the three little dots and have to unplug and plug it back in and even occasionally have to restart which was getting pretty aggravating after 2 or 3 days. Funny enough I went out and bought the rift s and that would require me to unplug and plug back in the USB cable after I restarted the computer every time. Crap like that is a huge turnoff and has made me lose interest in VR for a while but I'll try again later. And no those issues weren't unique to me as they were very common if you look in their forums.

I returned mine because the Link cable would continuously stop working. It never actually happened in a game but just when I would be back on the home screen it would stop working and I would get the three little dots and have to unplug and plug it back in and even occasionally have to restart which was getting pretty aggravating after 2 or 3 days. Funny enough I went out and bought the rift s and that would require me to unplug and plug back in the USB cable after I restarted the computer every time. Crap like that is a huge turnoff and has made me lose interest in VR for a while but I'll try again later. And no those issues weren't unique to me as they were very common if you look in their forums.
Never had issues with the original rift or my current quest 2. Those are common issues with usb drivers so i was using a separate usb card since I had lots of usb devices connected. That was my way to avoid issues

Alas, a very common problem, Motherboard USB ports are often crap. I bought a $30 PCIe USB card with a molex jack for dedicated VR power.

Literally for VR, this kind of upgrade can feel like a defacto fast USB coprocessor, since it!s not polluted with lots of other USB devices and power overloaded, and it helped big in USB reliability. I spent extra on good cables, as long non-optical cables (like the Oculus one) can be unreliable. Highly recommended to buy a dedicated PCIe USB card for things like this.

It worked pretty well until I went wireless.

Last edited:
I have found since buying the Quest 2 that I am playing PC VR games less and less and using the native games more and more often. The simplicity of just playing a game at any time in nearly any location is fantastic. It helps that I really enjoy the active games like Beat Saber, Pistol Whip, Thrill of the Fight etc where graphics aren't as important.

I have found since buying the Quest 2 that I am playing PC VR games less and less and using the native games more and more often. The simplicity of just playing a game at any time in nearly any location is fantastic. It helps that I really enjoy the active games like Beat Saber, Pistol Whip, Thrill of the Fight etc where graphics aren't as important.
That's why I'd rather get a Quest 2 even if I had a high-end Windows PC. Not having to fire up a computer or stay tethered with a long cable (wireless VR on PCs is still limited) would be immensely appealing.

It makes sense to have a HMD that can do both stand alone and full PC VR via a tethered (or even high speed wireless) solution. Now if Oculus would just drop the Facebook requirement and come out with a model that has a better IPD adjustment solution, I might bite again.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
I went wireless today via Virtual Desktop and what a nice feeling it is to play without cable with no perceivable loss in quality and performance. In fact, I even gained some as far as SteamVR games is concerned. I kept having performance problems with SteamVR via Oculus Link. I guess it is because it has to run both Oculus Rift and SteamVR enviroments at the same time in the background and VD cleanly bypasses the issue by running the other half on Quest 2 hardware instead of requiring Rift software to piggyback on. I can finally play Alyx pretty almost maxed out without insane stutter everywhere. Maybe there is a fix somewhere for this but I take gladly take the wireless over Link thank you very much. Now I just need the headstrap with extra battery...

Good experience so far with Oculus Quest 2 + Vive Audio Strap + frankenquest mod.

Excellent image quality, waiting for the link cable to try Half-Life Alyx.

It makes sense to have a HMD that can do both stand alone and full PC VR via a tethered (or even high speed wireless) solution. Now if Oculus would just drop the Facebook requirement and come out with a model that has a better IPD adjustment solution, I might bite again.

The IPDs that the adjustment doesn't cover are the ones lower than 58 and higher than 68. While it is only marked for three settings, 1 - 58mm, 2 - 63mm and 3 - 68mm, you can put the lenses in a midway point between 1 and 2 or 3. So if your IPD is between 58 and 68 you will have no problems with the Quest 2. IF your IPD is over 70 or under 58 then there is no headset that covers those IPD ranges, so YMMV with any headset you pick.

I went wireless today via Virtual Desktop and what a nice feeling it is to play without cable with no perceivable loss in quality and performance. In fact, I even gained some as far as SteamVR games is concerned. I kept having performance problems with SteamVR via Oculus Link. I guess it is because it has to run both Oculus Rift and SteamVR enviroments at the same time in the background and VD cleanly bypasses the issue by running the other half on Quest 2 hardware instead of requiring Rift software to piggyback on. I can finally play Alyx pretty almost maxed out without insane stutter everywhere. Maybe there is a fix somewhere for this but I take gladly take the wireless over Link thank you very much. Now I just need the headstrap with extra battery...

Yeah it works great and I prefer it even for seated games I think. For games with poor performance like flight sims 60hz mode is actually a godsend (no ASW unlike with Link). It actually doesn't noticeably flicker, which surprised me. I know people say 60hz mode flickers hard on the Reverb on the other hand.

But my Wifi works great one day and terrible the next, so it's a pain right now. My ISP's router has like 0 configuration options so I bought a cheap Wifi 6 router off Amazon and will see if that does the trick.

Reactions: keke
like this
kalston - is a wifi 6 router really required? Or a newish one does the job as well?

kalston - is a wifi 6 router really required? Or a newish one does the job as well?
From the Quest2 POV, WiFi 5 (11ac) will often work as good as WiFi 6 (11ax) for the most part — a GOOD WiFi 5 router will outperform a poor WiFi 6 router when it comes to Quest 2.

The important thing is a dedicated router that’s got enough processing power (multicore + multigigahertz) for low latency. Those approx-$150 routers work fine, but don’t cheap out on a $30 USB antenna.

Don’t share any traffic on that Quest-dedicated router; instead use 2 routers in your house — and put the Quest-dedicated router in the same room as you do most of your Quest stuff. (Does not have to be the same room as the PC, you want the biggest roomscale). At most only 1 wall/ceiling away. For example if your computer room is right above your big living room, it’s OK to put your Quest-dedicated router near your floor above your living room ceiling if it’s not a metal-based ceiling. But best to be the same room.

If you have one of those powerful 8-antenna MU-MIMO gaming routers costing hundreds — and not much sharing in the house, then you can probably use the same router for everything without much issue, as long as you Quest in the same area as the router. I’ve even seen a TPLink Archer AC5400 be used without an issue despite doing other stuff. However, for the most part, I’d dedicate WiFi processing only to Quest, since that simultaneous download can bog down the CPU on the WiFi router, adding erratic latency and erratic stuttering. The risk of 5 GHz contention of two routers in the same home is actually less impactful than that — since the WiFi 5 and newer standards have better methods of contending with multiple routers. Keeping unused router CPU processing power for Quest becomes more important.

So, for the most part, it’s better to have a dedicated Quest router connected by Ethernet to the PC, and put the Quest router as close to your favourite playspace as possible.

Yeah it works great and I prefer it even for seated games I think. For games with poor performance like flight sims 60hz mode is actually a godsend (no ASW unlike with Link).
60 Hz mode is also great for watching YouTube videos or playing emulators over Virtual Desktop.
Strategically adjusting refresh rate to match content.

Last edited:
The Quest2 was definitely a step forward visually, but then 3 steps back where the crappy head-strap, lack of a mechanical IDP adjustment control and the abandonment of the CV1's superior audio solution are concerned.

I'm not going to support/purchase anything else Quest/Oculus related (Sold my CV1, still own an original Quest) until Facebook drops the requirement of having to establish a Facebook account with owning/using their VR hardware.

Seems I'm not the only one that thinks requiring a Facebook account to use VR hardware is unreasonable:

https://www.cnet.com/news/facebook-...tigation-over-handling-of-oculus-vr-division/
https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/10...ebook-oculus-account-requirements-competition

I want one but the forced FB requirement is a no go. There are more than a handful of threads on Reddit where people's accounts have been disabled (for various reasons), causing them to lose access to their hardware and software purchased. Some people get their stuff reactivated in a few short days. Others are disabled due to TOS violations (customer service won't cite which one) and are never turned back on.

The Quest 2 seems like awesome tech, especially if you use it with the VIrtual Desktop Streaming software (sidequest load). However, I am waiting for the day where Oculus will block sideloading or make that a violation of TOS as well, disabling more headsets.

As for my Quest 1, looks like I have a few more years before I sell it off or trash it.

I want one but the forced FB requirement is a no go. There are more than a handful of threads on Reddit where people's accounts have been disabled (for various reasons), causing them to lose access to their hardware and software purchased. Some people get their stuff reactivated in a few short days. Others are disabled due to TOS violations (customer service won't cite which one) and are never turned back on.

The Quest 2 seems like awesome tech, especially if you use it with the VIrtual Desktop Streaming software (sidequest load). However, I am waiting for the day where Oculus will block sideloading or make that a violation of TOS as well, disabling more headsets.

As for my Quest 1, looks like I have a few more years before I sell it off or trash it.
Hopefully with Germany and few more countries pushing Facebook into a corner, we'll see additional options to authenticate on OQ2 beside using Facebook account. One can hope :)

Really the only way to get it cancelled is to create a fake account or to log on two headsets at the same time playing the same thing (ie quest 1 and 2). I don't get the whole concern with facebook - they will track what you're doing with a regular Oculus account and if you don't have an FB account already, there will be no social media activity to marry your Oculus activity to making it essentially exactly the same as the og Oculus account. If you do have an existing FB social media account, then who cares, your data is already on there. It's not like steam, MS or whoever won't be collecting the same VR usage data, or that you'll be signing anything significant over to them by creating an FB account just to use the quest. If you hate social media, don't use it, that simple. Make your profile private and never log in except when you use the Quest.

Honestly, the Quest 2 is the best overall headset. Most software and capabilities. If you only care about image clarity, then the G2, if you want high FOV then index or pimax. But they're all multiple times more expensive and not as capable. The main issue now is software, until AAA games come with VR enabled at launch they won't be full mainstream. There's no reason Cyberpunk couldn't have had a VR mode - any first person game can have VR enabled easily. Same with CoD, BF etc. Software, as always, is needed to drive the hardware and right now the available hardware is more than adequate for almost any VR experience, it's the experiences that are missing (unless you're a sim fan, then it's pretty much heaven already).

This goes back to what you said in the other thread about the G2 tracking issues been massively blown out of proportion. It's the same with the Facebook concerns. You have an Oculus account with your Quest, that's already linked to Facebook because Facebook has owned Oculus since 2014. It's a little late if you have privacy concerns.

The release of the Quest 2 was just bad timing due to the Presidential election. Because of this, Facebook security was ramped up to combat Fake accounts. And some people who bought a Quest 2 got banned as a result. It's like bobzdar said above, some of those bans were due to people opening up a second account because they forgot they had one or forgot the login details. Others were banned for trying to setup a fake account.

The Quest 2 is a really good headset. If you like Roomscale games then it's probably one of the best headsets out there. If you mainly like Sim games then the HP G2 is the way to go.

Really the only way to get it cancelled is to create a fake account or to log on two headsets at the same time playing the same thing (ie quest 1 and 2). I don't get the whole concern with facebook - they will track what you're doing with a regular Oculus account and if you don't have an FB account already, there will be no social media activity to marry your Oculus activity to making it essentially exactly the same as the og Oculus account. If you do have an existing FB social media account, then who cares, your data is already on there. It's not like steam, MS or whoever won't be collecting the same VR usage data, or that you'll be signing anything significant over to them by creating an FB account just to use the quest. If you hate social media, don't use it, that simple. Make your profile private and never log in except when you use the Quest.

Honestly, the Quest 2 is the best overall headset. Most software and capabilities. If you only care about image clarity, then the G2, if you want high FOV then index or pimax. But they're all multiple times more expensive and not as capable. The main issue now is software, until AAA games come with VR enabled at launch they won't be full mainstream. There's no reason Cyberpunk couldn't have had a VR mode - any first person game can have VR enabled easily. Same with CoD, BF etc. Software, as always, is needed to drive the hardware and right now the available hardware is more than adequate for almost any VR experience, it's the experiences that are missing (unless you're a sim fan, then it's pretty much heaven already).

I'll be honest, I have been a bit hard on Facebook or, in general, riding the fuck FB hate train. I have no issues with tracking or data collections since they already have it (voluntary or not). It has been the one platform that my wife uses to keep in contact with her family in Japan, and I use to talk to mine back in the US. Both families can also check-in and see how their nephews and grandkids are doing without us having to contact 60+ people. This has been the norm since I keep pulling consecutive overseas locations. Outside of family photos, temples, churches, or other UNESCO sites... My FB page is pretty empty, so the worry about being flagged as a fake account (or violating terms of service) doesn't really concern me.

I am more annoyed that I feel that the Occulus account should be good enough without having to integrate my FB account. Because from time to time (especially during election season or political discourse), I disable my account and walk away. Both family and friends get extremely ugly, and it ends up being their way or the highway, and I don't have time for that. If I remember correctly, disabling the account also removes access to the quest. But FB hiatus can be accomplished by just not logging in...

As for my current setup... I was able to sell my Rift, but it has been hard to sell the Rift S (unless I take a huge cut) due to how well the Quest 2 is doing. Honestly, I haven't touched my RIft S and have exclusively been using Virtual Desktop Streamer with my Quest 1. So for me, the most logical step up would be the Quest 2, since the next closest device would be the Index with the wireless dongle (I can't remember the name), but that is $1500+. But I don't have the PC power to push 120-144Hz (outside of beat saber, maybe), so it feels like the Index would not be fully utilized.

This goes back to what you said in the other thread about the G2 tracking issues been massively blown out of proportion. It's the same with the Facebook concerns. You have an Oculus account with your Quest, that's already linked to Facebook because Facebook has owned Oculus since 2014. It's a little late if you have privacy concerns.

The release of the Quest 2 was just bad timing due to the Presidential election. Because of this, Facebook security was ramped up to combat Fake accounts. And some people who bought a Quest 2 got banned as a result. It's like bobzdar said above, some of those bans were due to people opening up a second account because they forgot they had one or forgot the login details. Others were banned for trying to setup a fake account.

The Quest 2 is a really good headset. If you like Roomscale games then it's probably one of the best headsets out there. If you mainly like Sim games then the HP G2 is the way to go.

From the previous post in the G2 thread to here. I do not play enough sim games to make the G2 worth it. Every once in a while, I will get the itch to sit down and play some Elite Dangerous or DCS world. I generally play more room-scale based games, which makes the Q2 a better purchase. Additionally, TDYs and vacation travel would make the Q2 a better use device. Also, it is really the only time I use my link cable. Pretty much every review I read agrees with what the two of you said.

So, I ordered a Q2 and Frankenquest 2 mod to use with my old DAS. I decided this route due to the elite strap having issues, and the sound from quality from the Q1 was meh to me. I really cannot imagine the Q2 being leaps and bounds better.

Any good alternative to LINK official cable? other cables? saw a few on Amazon US, please share the experience you had with a non-LINK cable

The LINK cable is extremely thin and light because it is optical fiber.

I sooner would spend the same money on a 2nd WiFi router dedicated to Quest 2, than cheap out on a thick Anaconada snake of a long generic-branded non-optical USB3 cable.

A stiff cable feel is more freedom-limiting compared to either a WiFi router or the premium thin flexible optical-fiber Link cable.

Last edited:
I originally bought this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087JKBM6W

With mixed results on myroomscale PC its fine but my higher spec motion simrig PC, doesn't like it and drops a lot. To be fair this may be a USB issue since there is quite a bit more plugged into it. I wouldn't pay $80 for the "official" one.

I just picked up this one will see tonight if it works any better...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087NKYVL9/

Along with a new power USB hub, unfortunately all my systems are SFF so trying to suss out if its the quest2, my USB being overloaded, the cable or Link's implementation has proven difficult. I may just have to bite it and try the WiFi/sidequest/VirtDesk route

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
... I’ve even seen a TPLink Archer AC5400 be used without an issue despite doing other stuff. However, for the most part, I’d dedicate WiFi processing only to Quest, since that simultaneous download can bog down the CPU on the WiFi router, adding erratic latency and erratic stuttering....

I've got a TPLink Archer AC5400 and can second that it works great for the quest 2. Its a reasonably powerful tri-band router (can have 3 SSIDs) and you can just dedicate one of the 5 GHz bands for quest only. As BlurBuster mentioned, you usually want to get a dedicated router but if your existing is powerful enough it can work.

Any good alternative to LINK official cable? other cables? saw a few on Amazon US, please share the experience you had with a non-LINK cable

I used Cable Matters 5m active usb-c cable from Amazon and it worked flawlessly. I still use it to charge my Quest 2 during wireless gameplay when I am running low on juice.

Back