NVIDIA Unveils The Titan X At GDC 2015

Please... yes they are. It's a GeForce GTX card. It's for gaming...

While they can certainly be used for gaming, that isn't NVIDIA's primary target market.
The Titans are capable of a much higher DP FLOP/s than the standard GeForce series is, almost akin to the Tesla series.

Honestly, these are geared (and priced) far more towards data crunching/processing rather than gaming.
Please note that I said Titan, not Titan Z or Titan X. ;)

lol Deja linking to a page back.

Titan X is geared towards gaming. If you're in the tiny niche that can use it for DP and doesn't need ECC, ect. that's fantastic. Corporations will be buying Quadros not Titans.

This argument is more stupid to me than people that get hung up on "980ti" vs "1080" which I now just call "non-DP GM200". Not quite as stupid as the people thinking the 390x will beat the Titan though. I'd bet money OC vs OC the Titan X destroys the 390x.

has there ever been 50% faster card to actually come out? 25%-30% will be a more optimistic guess. I want to know the size of the die though.

400+??? takers? over/under :D

yikes

so 400+ was correct but missed mark by a whopping 200mm!

wfctech is saying ~600mm2 for the die size!

The really crappy thing with Quadros is that NVidia lets only a few select OEM workstation systems run them in SLi. With Titan, we get the best of both worlds...large VRAM, unthrottled DP and SLi. Why some people complain about getting more functionality is beyond me...:rolleyes:

People complain due to two misconceptions:

1. Adding the DP support means the chip/card is way more expensive and they have to pay for the stuff they never use
2. Without DP the chip/card could have susbstantially more gaming power without additional cost or even it would cost less

In reality DP means no cost increase or even lower price since by adding DP there is bigger market and more chips/cards sold (remember this is segment in which not so many gamers
are buying). Performance degradation due to the added DP is probably next to nothing or very low since DP is reusing SP units which must be provided anyway.

I think you mean conservative guess. Unless you're team red. Then lower is optimistic.

Anywho, what I am hearing now is 8B vs 5.2B on the 980. 3072 cores vs 2048 on the 980. 50% more memory bandwidth.

Unless this is all garbage info I'll stick with 40-50% faster. They may have to down clock it a bit due to die size to increase yield.

I think I read the original Titan was gimped. Were they talking about the 14/15 of the cores or voltage or what? Anyone know? The laughing Hispanic guy in the one 970 video went on about it.

no clue on guess. I am just taking the value I read all over and running with it (with a 40 lbs bag of salt to go with it) which everyone is saying 8 billion... ohh. 50% Not sure how but it is a hypothetical, nothing else.

BTW I am team GPU Power. Do not care if Green or Red (anyone remember PowerVR?).

the die size is approaching 600mm^2

Are we fucking done now?

I think you missed it -- I have one in my gaming PC. Less hint, more direct: I agree with you. But I don't understand why you are so caustic about the topic.

IJU0VpR.gif

People complain due to two misconceptions:

1. Adding the DP support means the chip/card is way more expensive and they have to pay for the stuff they never use
2. Without DP the chip/card could have susbstantially more gaming power without additional cost or even it would cost less

In reality DP means no cost increase or even lower price since by adding DP there is bigger market and more chips/cards sold (remember this is segment in which not so many gamers
are buying). Performance degradation due to the added DP is probably next to nothing or very low since DP is reusing SP units which must be provided anyway.

Agreed. Having the DP ability is simply a software switch in the drivers/firmware...no additional cost to it at all. There's no performance degradation either...it's like saying HT on an Intel CPU degrades performance. In any event, if the purchaser doesn't want DP, I think there is a way to disable it in the NVidia Control Panel.

To argue that DP shouldn't be present to allow a lower cost is like someone arguing that BMW should offer only cloth seats in their M series to lower the price...non-sensical ramblings by someone who isn't in the target market for the product anyway. A top echelon product is a top echelon product for a reason...it's the full meal deal version with a price tag to match. Those who want a cheaper, less functional card can buy a 980 or the cut down version of the Titan (980Ti?) later when it comes out. Those who want the very best are properly served by the top product, which in this case is the Titan X and I'm personally very glad such a product is offered.

Nope!
I said "Titan", not "Titan X" or "Titan Z"!!! :D

Reread my post that I linked to. Titan (just Titan) is there, complete with a link to NVidia's site.

Oh fuck it, here it is again:

TITAN SITE

TITAN SITE EXCERPT FOR THE FUCKING READING AND COMPREHENSION IMPAIRED said:
GeForce GTX TITAN

With the DNA of the world’s fastest supercomputer and the soul of NVIDIA® Kepler™ architecture, GeForce® GTX TITAN GPU is a revolution in PC gaming performance. GeForce GTX TITAN graphics card combines extraordinary power, advanced control features, and game-changing thermal and acoustic capability to provide an entirely new class of super-performance graphics card.

OK, well then let's all ignore what's written on NVidia's own website:

Are we fucking done now?

I seem to recall having a similar conversation back around when the Titan Black was announced or released...lol.

So it's safe to say this 1 card will be faster than SLI 780's? Not the Ti just the regular 780 I'm talking about.

I think there's one thing everyone can agree on: Every TITAN thread is a salt mine of injustice and entitlement.

The first syllable alone- "TI" and eyes already start moistening.

While they can certainly be used for gaming, that isn't NVIDIA's primary target market.
The Titans are capable of a much higher DP FLOP/s than the standard GeForce series is, almost akin to the Tesla series.

Honestly, these are geared (and priced) far more towards data crunching/processing rather than gaming.
Please note that I said Titan, not Titan Z or Titan X. ;)

Right when NVIDIA refers to it as a gaming GPU what they really mean is data crunchers. :rolleyes:

I think there's one thing everyone can agree on: Every TITAN thread is a salt mine of betrayal and entitlement.

For the sake of competition and keeping prices low for GPUs meant for us "mainstream" folks, I hope AMD reaches out with the Force and releases a "Ti Fighter". :p

I think there's one thing everyone can agree on: Every TITAN thread is a salt mine of injustice and entitlement.

What if Nvidia released a GTX Titanium Titanic Titan Ti? With quad precision? And then targeted it for gamers? This place would melt down! :eek:

Meanwhile the people buying one couldn't give two shits what it was targeted at as long is did what they wanted the best.

yikes

so 400+ was correct but missed mark by a whopping 200mm!

wfctech is saying ~600mm2 for the die size!

Pretty obvious with that transistor count.
I calculated 600-620mm2.

It was known to be over 580mm2 for the last month or so.

In for two of these bad boys. Hopefully overclocking will be decent.

Any word on EK water blocks?

I think we are good here. I don't know very many cards that EK didn't make blocks for. If they made one for the $3000 Titan Z I see the X being no different.

Last edited:
I think it we are good here. I don't know very many cards that EK didn't make blocks for. If they made one for the $3000 Titan Z I see the X being no different.

I've held one of these cards, and the shroud does not look as good as the original Titan / 690 silver shroud. The black shroud feels really rough and cheap. It's still metal, but it does not feel as 'quality' as you would expect.

Guess I better put a block on mine.

If the DP is gimped on the Titan X they should release a Titan D with extra DP.

And just think of all the corny pickup lines I could say to my wife.

According to this report TiX has indeed the DP castrated and will be behind the Titan Black in this area.

I'm not surprised, if true. NVidia probably retrenched quite a bit of their own high-margin Quadro/Tesla product sales because of the professional/enterprise segment buying up Titans instead.

I'm not surprised, if true. NVidia probably retrenched quite a bit of their own high-margin Quadro/Tesla product sales because of the professional/enterprise segment buying up Titans instead.

This is reasonable explanation though I can not imagine NVIDIA will have different chip for the professional line. They can of course go the well beaten road of just locking the DP on the TiX chip but that woul be really nasty: "Wanna DP? We will unlock it at 4x price". So I see a possibility there will be entirely new professional line coming much later and based on new architecture and 14nm process.

This is reasonable explanation though I can not imagine NVIDIA will have different chip for the professional line. They can of course go the well beaten road of just locking the DP on the TiX chip but that woul be really nasty: "Wanna DP? We will unlock it at 4x price". So I see a possibility there will be entirely new professional line coming much later and based on new architecture and 14nm process.

Nvidia is often very nasty in the ways they do business. Selling a partially locked chip would not surprise me at all, as they do it all the time.

Nvidia is often very nasty in the ways they do business. Selling a partially locked chip would not surprise me at all, as they do it all the time.

Why is that "nasty"? It's called product segmentation, you know, something all smart technology companies do (e.g. Intel). You want DP? Then get a professional card, not a gaming one. These GPUs cost enormous amounts of money in research and development and NVIDIA must turn a profit and it does (unlike AMD). They aren't a charity setup to just hand over "cheap" DP enabled cards to you while undercutting their professional business. If AMD wants to continue down that path, good for them, I'm sure their shrinking market share and heavy losses are music to their investors ears.

Well its nasty because it cost them nothing more to keep the chip unlocked. The sad part is just that consumers as a whole have forced companies to do this since they are unwilling to pay a reasonable price for a chip. Ask yourself how much does NVidia get for the average GPU? We know some GPUs aren't as good as others but in general they can all likely be broken down into 3 or so catagories, bad, decent and excellent quality. Yet why are there so many models? The answer is price points and consumer shopping habbits. personally I think the world would be a way better place if NVidia and AMD only had lets say 3 different chips. Low end $75, medium $150 and high end $300. The $300 chip is totally unleashed and you only pay more or less for different cooling, ram, backplates etc.... What silicone chip makers do is pretty messed if you compare it to other industries. Because they make a product then after it is made and working fine go back and purposely damage it. Imagine if you went to a store to buy apples and there were like 10 different grades of apples. From the best and nicest all the way to the worst. But there is one catch the grades are nto based solely on quality of the apple but some are just based on what price you pay because the orchards make way more good quality apples then people are willing to buy. So instead of just lowering the average price of the good quality apples they take most of the good quality apples and hire field workers to put 1 dent in the side of them to bruise them. Then they take half of those and dent them twice more. So you can buy good apples for $2 each, or 1 dent apples for $1.50 or 2 dent apples for $1.00. If they did this customers would be outraged. Yet this is EXACTLY what happens in the chip world. Perfectly good chips are purposely damaged to keep the highest price customers paying the highest prices.

After wading through the thread, I am speculating that the "980ti" or whatever nomenclature nvidia will use, will cost around $699 as per past 780ti release? Its quite amusing to think of the GTX x80 relegated to 5th in their product stack lol

If the DP ability is not as good as the old Titan, a good portion of the customer base that purchased the original will shy away from this one. From what I was reading, the DP ability of this card is not as good as the original due to a reduction in the necessary hardware, not an artificial software limitation. If NVidia had to cut some of the DP bits to make the die more feasible on 28nm (and possibly plan to restore this performance when they move to 20nm by adding the necessary units back onto the die at that time), I can understand that somewhat. However, if the DP ability is artificially limited on the Titan X, it'll be a major turnoff for such a high priced card.

The back screw pattern of the Titan X looks to be identical to the GTX 980, so I'm guessing that GTX 980 water blocks will work on the Titan X (just my prediction, of course)

Well its nasty because it cost them nothing more to keep the chip unlocked. The sad part is just that consumers as a whole have forced companies to do this since they are unwilling to pay a reasonable price for a chip. Ask yourself how much does NVidia get for the average GPU? We know some GPUs aren't as good as others but in general they can all likely be broken down into 3 or so catagories, bad, decent and excellent quality. Yet why are there so many models? The answer is price points and consumer shopping habbits. personally I think the world would be a way better place if NVidia and AMD only had lets say 3 different chips. Low end $75, medium $150 and high end $300. The $300 chip is totally unleashed and you only pay more or less for different cooling, ram, backplates etc.... What silicone chip makers do is pretty messed if you compare it to other industries. Because they make a product then after it is made and working fine go back and purposely damage it. Imagine if you went to a store to buy apples and there were like 10 different grades of apples. From the best and nicest all the way to the worst. But there is one catch the grades are nto based solely on quality of the apple but some are just based on what price you pay because the orchards make way more good quality apples then people are willing to buy. So instead of just lowering the average price of the good quality apples they take most of the good quality apples and hire field workers to put 1 dent in the side of them to bruise them. Then they take half of those and dent them twice more. So you can buy good apples for $2 each, or 1 dent apples for $1.50 or 2 dent apples for $1.00. If they did this customers would be outraged. Yet this is EXACTLY what happens in the chip world. Perfectly good chips are purposely damaged to keep the highest price customers paying the highest prices.

trainwreck thought process

There are companies out there willing to pay an enormous sum of money for a GPU that you deem is similar to what you buy for $500. The correct thing to do is to segment the product so that those who find more value in the product pay according to what they feel it's worth; and those who find less value in it will be charged less.

Because for some companies these GPUs make (or save) them millions of dollars and so they are a lot more valuable to these companies than they are to regular joes wanting to play Duck Hunt 2. If you only have one product at one price point then the regular joe can start dropping $10,000 per GPU like companies do for Teslas, because that's what you're competing with.

The back screw pattern of the Titan X looks to be identical to the GTX 980, so I'm guessing that GTX 980 water blocks will work on the Titan X (just my prediction, of course)

Nah. The component configuration on the PCB as well as the memory ICs are going to be in different spots.

Nah. The component configuration on the PCB as well as the memory ICs are going to be in different spots.

Before I made that statement, I pulled up pictures of the backs of both the 980 and the Titan X. The screw patterns on each looked identical to me and dimensionally, the cards look the same. We'll find out for sure soon enough...

Back