NieR Automata

Sounds like keyboard and mouse is...not ideal.

If you watch the TotalBiscuit video he gets into the control scheme a lot and shows how each has its benefits depending on just which way the game is playing atm.

Its a sorta long video but he gets into the gameplay and controls here... though watching the whole thing might help you more.

so another Japanese developed game where a member of the modding community fixes the major issues within a few days??...reminds me of DSfix and Dark Souls

so another Japanese developed game where a member of the modding community fixes the major issues within a few days??...reminds me of DSfix and Dark Souls

Still waiting for Platinum Games to fix the AMD white screen issue. I have read that I can in theory roll my drivers back and play, but I have one of the new Ryzen processors and I want everything up to date. Still want to buy the game, but at this rate I might as well just hold off for a discount.

Still waiting for Platinum Games to fix the AMD white screen issue. I have read that I can in theory roll my drivers back and play, but I have one of the new Ryzen processors and I want everything up to date. Still want to buy the game, but at this rate I might as well just hold off for a discount.

rolling back drivers is something I could deal with...it's not like changing firmware or a BIOS revision...but you're right that once you get past the initial hype for the first week or 2 after release it gets easier to just wait for a discount or for multiple patches to hit...I'm in the same boat with Andromeda (although I already purchased the game and am just waiting for a patch or 2 to hit before starting it up)

Pushed further into the game this weekend. I did a lot of exploring, upgrading gear, etc. I'm only level 12 right now, and ran into some areas with level 30+ enemies and quickly died. After that I started doing more missions, and they were very enjoyable. Between this and Zelda my entire weekend disappeared.

This game is awesome. I've hit level 34 for now. And a big thanks to Kaldaien for making it playable! :)

I have to admit, the reviews of this game have intrigued me...ended up picking it up from GMG.

Seems cool so far, graphically I think it definitely looks dated (especially the cutscenes...why do they look so bad?), but I installed the FAR fix thing and it seems to run fine.

This seems like one of those games that I need a guide for all the items/weapons/etc., but I don't want to buy a guide and spoil anything story-wise.

Seems cool so far, graphically I think it definitely looks dated

Really? :confused: I really think it looks great! Maxed out everything @ 4k though. Lighting is phenomenal. What settings are you running?

Really? :confused: I really think it looks great! Maxed out everything @ 4k though. Lighting is phenomenal. What settings are you running?

1440p maxed. For some reason even with 8x AA there still seems to be massive aliasing, especially in the cutscenes which almost seem downscaled to 1080p or something.

Texture quality on the environment just looks consoleish to me...not on par with modern PC titles IMO. It's not a big deal, the game seems good.

Texture quality on the environment just looks consoleish to me...not on par with modern PC titles IMO.

OK, to be fair I had saved after the first mission. I just got back down to Earth and completely agree. That first mission was fantastic though! Earth seems more, meh, so far.

I also bought the Hammer upgrade. Seems about useless.

Yeah the graphics in this game are pretty terrible. Doesn't help that it has some of the most bland environments that I've ever seen. But hey, the gameplay's there.

1440p maxed. For some reason even with 8x AA there still seems to be massive aliasing, especially in the cutscenes which almost seem downscaled to 1080p or something.

Texture quality on the environment just looks consoleish to me...not on par with modern PC titles IMO. It's not a big deal, the game seems good.

It looks like all of the cut scenes are in-engine, doesn't it? They're not :( Sadly, most of them are 1080p rendered and 30 FPS locked video files. They are why the game is as large a download as it is, and also why the cut scenes do not respect your AA settings...

So is there any point in getting this game for PC? I have a PS4 Pro as well. I want to support japanese developers releasing games on PC as well, but I don't want to play a game with crappy performance at 4k (and I want games maxed out).

So is there any point in getting this game for PC? I have a PS4 Pro as well. I want to support japanese developers releasing games on PC as well, but I don't want to play a game with crappy performance at 4k (and I want games maxed out).

Get it on the PS4 as the PC port has game killing bugs for Nvidia and AMD users. Square hasn't said a word about acknowledging the PC crowd with a list of known bugs or whatever. If you have an Nvidia user, you can pray and play the game. If you're an AMD user, you have to roll drivers back to play.

PS4 just works. Of course the PC port has better antialiasing. :)

Remember that unless you're using the fix the game will still run at 900p upscaled in fullscreen mode.

do you really need to complete the entire game 2-3 times to see the 'real' ending?...seems like a major time investment...

It looks like all of the cut scenes are in-engine, doesn't it? They're not :( Sadly, most of them are 1080p rendered and 30 FPS locked video files. They are why the game is as large a download as it is, and also why the cut scenes do not respect your AA settings...

Ah, that explains it...it does seem like it's in-engine.

Remember that unless you're using the fix the game will still run at 900p upscaled in fullscreen mode.

I am using the fix as far as I know (did the automatic installation, presumably it's working).

It will looks a better on PCi f you have a computer that can handle it and there are mods. Its really just preference if you want to play on the couch and on the TV. I don't think its leaps and bounds better than the console - they just didnt do that much.

do you really need to complete the entire game 2-3 times to see the 'real' ending?...seems like a major time investment...

The game is not incredibly long, also second play throughs will naturally be faster. Also it feels different, I don't want to spoil anything. But seeing how the new play through would be is part of the excitement.

It's running flawlessly on my system. Nothing special. 1070, 4690K, 16GB. The game is really good. Also, I didn't buy the game for the cut-scenes. :p I bought it for the parts I get to play.

The game is not incredibly long, also second play throughs will naturally be faster. Also it feels different, I don't want to spoil anything. But seeing how the new play through would be is part of the excitement.

how long is an average run through of the game for a player that likes to explore everything?

50 hours is a pretty decent length...so having to replay it 3 times seems like a strange design decision

Well, each major play through is done through a different character. So it isn't exactly like your're playing the same thing over again. On your 3rd playthrough, you continue the story from where the first 2 left off. Don't want to say more than that to keep spoilers to a minimum. PM me if you want further clarification. ;)

edit: Let me clarify that I meant it took 50+ hours total to get all the major endings. There is a lot to do in this game and can take you even longer if you want to really get everything. This game is absolutely brilliant IMO.

Last edited:
Here's an example of what I'm talking about, graphically. The characters look good, and the save thing behind them. The ground and walls are...okay. Those red metal containers to the left, though...what the actual fuck. Wasn't a texture still loading in or anything, that's how it always looks.

0DEB36986CC9227D3EB3C03D5A15C64B5C4FE22A

Here's an example of what I'm talking about, graphically. The characters look good, and the save thing behind them. The ground and walls are...okay. Those red metal containers to the left, though...what the actual fuck. Wasn't a texture still loading in or anything, that's how it always looks

from what I've read and heard the game is not a graphics showcase and is all about the gameplay...I might get this down the line depending on if the major performance issues ever get an official patch (or 3)...but as it is I have Andromeda and The Ringed City Dark Souls 3 DLC to keep me busy

MavericK - that is what happens when you play a console game on PC - they didn't change or add anything graphically at all. The PC just gives you more control over texture filtering, AA and resolution, but they are still the SAME textures. Personally, most of what you will be looking at are the characters themselves, and the detail on 2B, 9S & A2 are all amazing. The animations on 2B in particular floored me - they put a lot of detail and attention in every movement she makes, and just her walking (not running or sprinting, but actually walking) is mesmerizing.

As for the game itself, I put ~55 hours into it for 3 play throughs (after the third - which is a continuation of and not a replay of the first 2 - you get a chapter select feature you can use to replay your choice in the final chapter. This will give you the final 2 main endings, for a total of 5, right away without an actual complete 4th play through).

This is actually how it is structured, which I don't consider to be spoilers... You keep all levels, upgrades, progress and equipment between each play through.

Play through 1 = main story and most side-quests done as 2B (the female combat android), there are a few large segments where your companion 9S is absent. Leads to the first main ending (A).

Play through 2 = the same main story, this time played as 9S (the male support android) - whatever side quests you did before remain completed, you can get the ones you skipped in the first play through if you like, and 9S gets a few new ones unique to his play through. Most of the cut scenes are different in this play through, and there are a few large segments where 2B is missing. The stuff you do during these segments is entirely different then the stuff you did the first play through as 2B. Leads to the second main ending (B).

Play through 3 = A continuation of the story told in the first 2 play throughs with it's own side quests. Combat in this play through is bunches harder, so it is best if you level up on most of the side quests available in the first 2 play throughs before completing play through 2. This leads to ending (C) or ending (D) depending on which choice you make in the last chapter, BUT completing either ending makes Chapter Select available, so you can jump to the last chapter and make the other choice to get the other ending. When you have seen both endings (C) and (D), you get the option during the credits to play through a (long and kinda hard) mini game to get the fifth and final main ending (E).

There are 20 other "joke" endings that you can get for acidental death, failure to complete certain storyline objectives in time, or leaving certain areas during a main storyline mission. There is another ending that involves a particular NPC, and that is all I am going to say about THAT one. All of these endings are essentially "easter eggs" with some easier to find than others. You'll likely discover a few by accident. SAVE OFTEN.

This really is GOTY material, and I had nothing but a blast playing it. I just now started in on Mass Effect: Andromeda, and I'm STILL thinking about NieR: Automata - it's THAT good. For the record, I have an RX 480 video card and had to roll back to the 16.11.5 drivers to play this. No issues that this did not correct for me. My wife has been able to play it on her R9 290X with the current AMD drivers without issue, though. It really seems to me that Japanese developers are always surprised when there is demand on PC, and in the West, for their games. They don't seem to know how exactly to deal with that...

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I just got done playing some more and it's a great game. It's really scratching that itch for an action RPG that isn't insanely complicated, but has really satisfying combat as well.

Superb game so far, just wish they put a little more effort into the PC port is all. That example I gave above really seems inexcusable, even on a console.

It's really scratching that itch for an action RPG that isn't insanely complicated, but has really satisfying combat as well...

when you state 'isn't insanely complicated' I'm guessing you're referring to the Dark Souls series...if you can get past that point and learn the mechanics then you'll be rewarded with the best action RPG ever made...with the best combat system to boot...but Souls games aren't for everyone

when you state 'isn't insanely complicated' I'm guessing you're referring to the Dark Souls series...if you can get past that point and learn the mechanics then you'll be rewarded with the best action RPG ever made...with the best combat system to boot...but Souls games aren't for everyone

I wish I could figure out the controller character movement and camera in the Dark Souls games. They look like they might be fun. Too bad the developer hates keyboards. ;) I would love to rip it up with a proper keyboard configuration.

I bought the first and second Dark Souls games. After giving up on ever being able to play them, I probably have watched 3000 hours of game play on Twitch. I probably have seen 90% of Man vs Game streams of the games and so many speed runs. If they only had a keyboard option... If they only had a keyboard option...

I played Lords of the Fallen and had fun though!

Nah, I meant more in terms of items/upgrades/etc...some of the later Final Fantasy games I felt were overly complicated (also, I dislike turn-based combat).

Dark Souls...I didn't like the enemy respawn mechanics and really it felt more frustrating to me than anything. The difficulty in and of itself wasn't a huge issue but I felt the controls were clunky for a game that requires such precision. An example of this type of difficulty done well with tight controls would be the Monster Hunter series, which I love. This is only based on my experience with the first Dark Souls, I haven't played the sequels.

Back