New SFF gamers case: presentation and advices

yes please! Branding is very real and people's perception of quality is affected (driven?) by the aesthetic you present. (duh)

I would leverage the [H] management as well. If you could convince Kyle to publicize the name poll and/or give an exclusive first-look review, if you've done your job designing the case they'll do theirs and make sure the legions of readers know what you've done. When someone asks me for a 'perfect' ATX case I have several examples depending on their needs- much less so with the mATX market. This is your chance to fill that void!

I wrote to Kyle but I haven't heard back from him yet.:(
I would love to post a poll and have thousands of readers pick the name. That would be incredible.
But to make it happen, I think I'll need your help. Kyle is probably very busy and hard to get...

Last edited:
I reckon it should be Massive overkill MICRO for the uATX and Massive overkill MINI for the mini-itx
seems more fitting for the mobo types is all, but micro does sound much smaller than mini...

Hi Everybody,

I have heard a lot of complains about the name lately. Maybe I will post a vote on www.lan-gear.com and you guys will have 1 week to pick the name again if this is a major issue (no worries Lilli, you'll still get your special).
Is that something you'd like?
Please, let me know.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. You can call it the "LGS01" or "My First SFF Case" and no one would buy it more or less. :)

Hi everybody,

Feel free to suggest the new case to New Egg so that I can have a nice big fat order, and have it priced right!:D The more inquiries, the more store who pick DA BOX, the better the price will be. Budget is super tight right now, so I'll take all the help I can get from you guys, and this is the best thing you can do to help make it happen!:cool:
This is the link: >>>>https://secure.newegg.com/FeedBack/ShallWeCarry.aspx<<<<
I'm working very hard to keep the cost low right now, but any help from you guys would be really welcome. So go ahead, blast them! Lets get this baby out!!!;)

Last edited:
I reckon it should be Massive overkill MICRO for the uATX and Massive overkill MINI for the mini-itx
seems more fitting for the mobo types is all, but micro does sound much smaller than mini...

M0Micro? MoMicro? haha. That doesn't work.:cool:

I would personally like just a plain name better. LG01 sounds good but also sounds awfully like the SG01.

See you should have gone with Massive Overkill Micro. Everybody loves that name :p

Yeah, who doesnt like, 'Mom'? "Hey, Massive is here and he brought his MOM too!" :D

Seriously though, I never thought 'Da Box' was a good idea but its not my place to tell someone what to name their product. The Langear LG01 is a good name even if it may sound a bit generic to some.

I posted this to Newegg:

Good evening,

I would like to recommend a new small form factor case called "Da Box" by a new business called "Lan-Gear". As the owner of a popular SFF review website I would like Newegg to consider adding more case options including this one. Thank you for your time.

The "MOM" from a marketing strategy rocks. Businesses spend millions on trying to get consumers to remember a brand, and that name is definitley memorable.
Who don't live their MOM
And "Massive Overkill" screams better than it has to be.

I'm reminded of a slogan I saw awhile back "...because overkill never fails!"

I posted this to Newegg:

Good evening,

I would like to recommend a new small form factor case called "Da Box" by a new business called "Lan-Gear". As the owner of a popular SFF review website I would like Newegg to consider adding more case options including this one. Thank you for your time.

Thank you Steve.
I'll let all of you know what I'll hear. But the more people will ask for the product, the better chance I'll have to get their attention.
So counting on all the rest of you to put pressure on.
>>>>https://secure.newegg.com/FeedBack/ShallWeCarry.aspx<<<<

Thanks again.
Some benchmarks will come up this coming week.:D

+1 for Massive Overkill Micro/Mini/Mobile. I liked that from the beginning.

If your going to pack this thing around to LAN's, your going in w/the intentions of massive overkill. That name is perfect, IMO, for a LAN box. It also can be interpreted as massive overkill on the attention to detail you guys have put into this.

Not to mention, the marketing potential / abiltity to remember MOM is priceless. Me and my MOM vs. you and your crew. When I'm done, I'll pack it up in a bag only a MOM could love.

Just name it SFF.
well that doesn't really work, as their entire business is SFF.
Thank you Steve.
I'll let all of you know what I'll hear. But the more people will ask for the product, the better chance I'll have to get their attention.
So counting on all the rest of you to put pressure on.
>>>>https://secure.newegg.com/FeedBack/ShallWeCarry.aspx<<<<

Thanks again.
Some benchmarks will come up this coming week.:D

Request sent.

I made a post over on AT with LG website link to help get word out.

While I'm excited about the Massive Overkill Mobile, I personally can't wait until late spring 2010 when the Micro Itx Lightweight Formfactor comes out.

I like the MOM(Massive Overkill Micro/Mobile/Mini) ALOT more than Da Box!

The SSD mount under the 5.25" bay (2 x), and in the HDD cage (2x). Impossible to see in this picture. I still need to find 2 since I don't have the funds right now to buy two.:p

You can probably source any cheap notebook HDD for fitment. Heck, they don't even have to work.

Definately some interesting work going on here. I was also half-heartedly working on a few mini ITX designs because there are some unexploited niches but if you're already working on one that will be better than the Silverstone cases for a gaming rig, then have of the niches I've identified are gone. :( Well, maybe... all depends on if I think I can pull off a Q1 release.

If not, then I'll just stick to my day job and hand-build my own cases for myself only.

Hi Zap,
Thank you for your support!:p
The mini ITX design is way underway. I'd like to have it released next spring, but it does take quite a while to make it happen. If you have huge resources = $$$ (I don't have:() and you work with the right people (I have:D), you could probably release yours in less than 4 months. I'm talking about a fully finished, commercial version. Experience shows that in between conception and production, you have a 4-5 months window that is hardly compressible, unless you are really, really good and figured out all the potential issues before the first 2-3 round of prototyping.
My objective for this mini ITX is to bring an incredible product at a very affordable price, by selling big volume of it. I haven't made all the "fitting" test yet (CAD), but I'm positive I will be able to make it happen.
With today's cases, there are so many little options to integrate, it's just nuts. I love to hear all the people that, like me, started from scratch. There are some very interesting designs out there, but only a few to say almost none make it, because of $$$. I was lucky enough to be very well connected (although I did not receive $0.01 of cash infusion on this project, yet). In fact, I can say that, without the connections, I couldn't have made it happen because the product would have priced itself out of the competition. The Qmicra was a good exemple of that. At $330, it is a superb case at a "superb" price. And I wanted to avoid that... Made in USA definitively has a price!
My objective is to expand in the very near future and to get people like you that are passionate about building SFF cases, and that would be interested in joining Lan Gear. Combining all our ideas could probably bring the next generation of PC case, you never know!:D
Looking forward to hearing more from you on my current projects!
Also, I just wanted to add that if you really think about it, you'll find plenty of unoccupied niches in the SFF market. In fact, I have identified 3 myself, 1 in the Micro ATX (DA BOX), and 2 in the mini ITX. All this big open market, and nobody in it!:D:p So keep thinking and keep buidlingm you might have a great mini ITX project on your hand.
Oh, and keep submitting for DA BOX on New Egg. I have a feeling we'll get it there if we get enough wind.
https://secure.newegg.com/FeedBack/ShallWeCarry.aspx

Last edited:
really nice how it turned out mattinv.

just wondeirng though, and maybe i missed it in thsi megathread - but are there versions without the window?

thanks!

LG01 would be a sick name. Or Precision. I think MOM would be cooler for the Mitx case, since that will really be an overkill of parts in such a small box.

The first temperature test are very promising. But we are still at the beginning.

Sorry, this is very basic but this is it.
Flux_Air_CoteG.png

Flux_Air_CoteD.png

CourbesTemp.png

8144d5fe-22a6-4c9a-b799-f7f12594579e.jpg

As you can tell, so far, this is excellent. Not too much increase in temperature considering how cramed everything is:D.

It will cool fine.

In all the testing I did for SFFClub, I've found that at a certain point you just aren't getting much benefit. I mean you are talking about a case that is under 1 cubic foot in volume and yet have 120mm fans pushing 35cfm. At some point it is overkill.

The mini ITX design is way underway. I'd like to have it released next spring, but it does take quite a while to make it happen. If you have huge resources = $$$ (I don't have:() and you work with the right people (I have:D), you could probably release yours in less than 4 months. I'm talking about a fully finished, commercial version.

Having been involved in the design of one chassis, I know very well how much money and how long it takes. ;)

My objective is to expand in the very near future and to get people like you that are passionate about building SFF cases, and that would be interested in joining Lan Gear. Combining all our ideas could probably bring the next generation of PC case, you never know!:D

Eh, is this a future job offer? :p

Maybe we can combine your "right people" and my seed money and ideas? ;)

Also, I just wanted to add that if you really think about it, you'll find plenty of unoccupied niches in the SFF market. In fact, I have identified 3 myself, 1 in the Micro ATX (DA BOX), and 2 in the mini ITX.

Let's see, one of the two mini ITX is the gamer case you are working on that will one-up the Silverstone, right? That's one I want to make too, and I think I can predict your second one because I've also identified two other mini ITX niches which are underrepresented, plus I have thought of two unique micro ATX designs. I'm no stranger to "smaller than ATX" computers. Heck, I can even dig up my forum posts from over 7 years ago discussing SFF.

Having been involved in the design of one chassis, I know very well how much money and how long it takes. ;)

Eh, is this a future job offer? :p

Maybe we can combine your "right people" and my seed money and ideas? ;)

Let's see, one of the two mini ITX is the gamer case you are working on that will one-up the Silverstone, right? That's one I want to make too, and I think I can predict your second one because I've also identified two other mini ITX niches which are underrepresented, plus I have thought of two unique micro ATX designs. I'm no stranger to "smaller than ATX" computers. Heck, I can even dig up my forum posts from over 7 years ago discussing SFF.

An inventor and investor meet up. Gotta love it! :D

Just a quick question and suggestion about the case. Is the Accelero 1 rev 2 graphics card heatsink going to fit in this case?

And also, is there any possibilities that a version of the case come with no preinstalled fans. A lot of who are really into cases probably have their own set of fans already. Why not cut down the price a bit and let us decide what fans we want to use?

Back