New SFF gamers case: presentation and advices

Put my name down for an order! Perhaps the plain un-adonized editions will appeal more to the modding community, I read Darkz' mod of his Shuttle and I thought that it stealthily added a personal touch.
I'll add a turbo button to mine if I modded mine :D

There will be a plain un-anodized edition for the inner parts. But the outside will be anodized. After, if you want to paint it, no problem. Of course, the reason we can't have 6 different versions at this point is that it would run production cost up too much.

I would like to see the right side of the case have a mesh panel similar to what you have on the front of the case instead of the stamped out holes (better for airflow and asthetics)

Also a window without vents would be nice (ruins the look IMO)

Great work on the layout so far.

Easy there! ;)
No, the prototype will be finished by next week. And no, I will not show any plans of the Mini ITX. This is... for next spring.:D
As I said before, the first pictures of "Da Box" will be posted around October 21st. We need some time to run some tests.

Pricing: we are shooting for 2 versions: 1 at $160-$165 and the all black anodize (inside and out) for $185-$190. Of course, this will vary depending on how many orders we get. If we get a LOT of them, we might be able to reduce the price by $10 for each model, which would be great!!!;)
For the few that did not read all the posts, the next pictures of the pre production revision will be released later next week. It will be the all black version.

I might be interested, but only with a retail version. Not a prototype. Are you interested in volume sales? 50 to 200 units.

Hi Lollipop,

Yes, we are doing volume sales. We are NOT selling any prototypes. Prototypes are only used to verify compatibilities and other issues commonly found in sheet metal assemblies. We also use them to benchmark the product before starting production.
If you are interested in retailing the product, please let me know. We are already taking orders as I speak / write.;) Contact me directly via email.
Thank you very much for your interest in Da Box.

Last edited:
Don't worry, I don't want a prototype. I was saying we can talk numbers when I can show a working, retail version.

Here is a first pictures of V2 all black.
I will post a series of empty and fully mounted units in the next 2 days.
Enjoy.
all%20black%2001.jpg

all%20black%2002.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on the new case.

I have a few questions if you don't mind.

Can you post the final specs for this case?

Also, with a longer PSU does this cause trouble with cooling due to restrictions on the fan and will this prevent the use of longer video cards?

With a PSU longer than 6.1" (I'll have to measure it exactly), and some very long video cards, you might have issues. I'll have to check on all these numbers because we are tweeking the prototype right now.
We found that most PSU will fit just fine with long video cards, but I have to admit, there are some limitations. Because this is a micro ATX, we are thinking that most people will put a 850W PSU or less, which are mostly in the 6" long range - and thus compatible in the case with extra long video cards. In the first prototype, I used an extra long one (7.2") and it would have interfered with a 10.5"+ long video card.
I don't have a HD5870 on hand right now, but I'll do my best to try to find one and mount it.
Otherwise, if anybody is willing to loan me 1 for a few days, it would be great!:D

I will post the "semi" final spec of the case in the next two days. The only changes will be related to tolerance. Everything else is listed on page #1 of this thread.

The 2mm thick brushed aluminum is rock solid and looks great!;)

Last edited:
This PSU is 6.3" long and is pretty darn popular.

The Seasonic that is nice is around 5.9 inches (I can't confirm this) and Silverstone is 160mm which is 6.3" again.

This one :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194027 is 150mm so that would be ok and is recommended by someone on this forum.

I posted an article on www.sffclub.com but the site hasn't been updated in awhile since I've been in the process of doing a 6 month revamp of the site :)

Yeah, the SS and Corsair short cable/modular psu units are very popular with the SFF crowd. I would think a 850w unit would meet most of the dual card users needs although dont be surprised if someone asks if you can shoe horn a 1000w unit into one of your cases. Its been known to happen around here. :D

Btw, the case is looking sexy.

I have a Corsair laying around, I believe it's this one. I'll check it in two days and let you know if it's a go.
Thank you all for your support, working my butt off to get it out in time for Christmas!

PS: Edit: I confirm, in the production version, you will be able to fit a 6.3" PSU with a 12" long video card.

Last edited:
Hi everybody,

While I'm waiting to put together the first picture of the higher end V2 DA BOX all black (I should have something to present in the next 48h), I would like you to start checking out our website:
www.lan-gear.com
For now, I'm using renderings but we should have some pretty nice set up to post in the near future.

Enjoy, and we'll wait to hear from you.
Pictures coming soon!

Good to see you are getting a website up. I noticed the Forum link linked back to this thread. I take it this is temporary until you get a proper forum board up and running? :D

Good to see you are getting a website up. I noticed the Forum link linked back to this thread. I take it this is temporary until you get a proper forum board up and running? :D
Yes, we don't have a forum right now, so since this is where it all started, I just linked it back to this thread. I hope this is ok. I guess more traffic for this forum for a while.:D It deserves it!

I created an account to say that I am very excited for this. I have followed this thread since the beginning I am definitely planning on picking up Da Box when it comes out. Great job on everything so far!

Looks good! I'm planning my SFF build right now, and it's a battle between Da Box and the LianLi 351. Can't wait to read the reviews on this case.

Thank you all for your support.
I have had both cases in hand, DA BOX and the Lian Li V351. Being mostly objective:cool:, the main differences between the 2 are, in random order:

- The size: DA BOX is 15% smaller in volume. DA BOX is not as high, which I personally look forward in my SFF cases.
- The material it's made of: DA BOX uses 2mm thick high quality aluminum for the outer shell (we upgraded from 1.5mm) and 1.5mm for the chassis. The other light parts are 1mm aluminum. The V351 uses 1.5mm or 1.2mm for the outer shell (to be verified), with the internal part and chassis of similar or inferior thickness.
- DA BOX can pretty much fit any after market cooler, up to 190mm high, in various configuration. It's the only one that can do that in its size category. With the V351, you have to worry about the power supply, and thus what heatsink you can pick, etc...
- DA BOX can fit 322mm long video card. It's 300mm for the V351. But at this point, it really doesn't matter because this cover most video cards.
- DA BOX was designed for Gamers and Overclokers in mind. The 120mm fans are placed to optimize the heat extraction of both the CPU and the graphic cards (they both have a dedicated 120mm, high CFM, low noise fan). In the V351, the hard drives are over the GPU. You can imagine the result.
- DA BOX can accommodate pretty much any size PSU depending on the set up (refer to previous post). For the V351, depth is limited because of the 5.25" drive in the way.
- in the DA BOX setup, the PSU has its own fresh air supply. It might not matter under small loads, but when you are heavily gaming in a warm room, it makes a difference. In the V351, the PSU takes air from above the GPU/CPU. What do you expect for your PSU life expectancy under heavy load (GPU are huge heat generators). 1 of the 120mm fan in front of the case dies and everything might go up in smoke ( I speak by experience;)).
- Hard drives have their own dedicated 92mm fan. It's a 80mm fan for the V351. Not much of a difference expect for noise and airflow.
- DA BOX has an optional side window for people who are interested. The all black version is 100% anodized, inside and outside. The V351 is only anodized on the inside.
- DA BOX has only 1 5.25" bay. The V351 has 2.
- DA BOX has 4 x 2.5" bays (designed for SSD drives and other options). The V351 has none.
- DA BOX is 100% made in USA. The V351 is 100% made in Taiwan.
- DA BOX will probably start at $160. The V351 more around $105.

To summarize, DA BOX is a high end case, and so is the V351. But it offers much better hardware compatibilities in a much smaller enclosure. It was designed for people looking to push their hardware and use oversized equipment you commonly find in an ATX tower. But it all fits in 50% or less volume! It offers greater possibility but is pricier, not because we want it to be but because of the smaller quantities produced, and where it's produced (I could only wish we were as big as Lian Li and produce as many cases ;-)).
And finally, its a matter of the design, which is all a question of taste.

For more information, visit www.lan-gear.com. That's where I'm going to post the latest pictures, along with this thread of course.:D

Last edited:
Not to rain on the parade here or anything but I want to provide a little more realistic picture of differences between the V351 and what I gather from this new case. A "no spin" look :)

Size difference:
V351 - 27 Liters
Da Box - 23 Liters
17% difference - 23 Liters is about the same size as the SG01-2-3-4

CPU Cooler difference:
V351 - ~125mm(can't confirm)
Da Box - 190mm
There are actually two cases that can fit virtually any CPU cooler (not 1) and anything over 160mm doesn't matter. 125mm will fit a lot of great coolers but I agree the "Da Box" has an advantage here.

Cooling difference:
V351 - Seemingly positive pressure
Da Box - Seemingly negative pressure (by the way the website has two different specs on this)
I think each will cool about the same. The top exhaust is nice in the "Da Box" case.

PSU Difference:
V351 - 160mm PSU is probably the max.
Da Box - Possible issues with long GPU and 160mm+ PSUs (modular PSUs)

Basically you have two cases that have little differences. Da Box can fit a taller CPU cooler and the V351 gets you another 5.25" drive bay. The wasted space on the V351 comes from the fact that you can put the drive bays on either side. Otherwise it is a fairly good use of space just like Da Box. Personally, it might just come down to which one you think looks better and whether or not CPU cooler is more important than the extra drive bay. Every case has some features and not others...just take your pick :)

Not to rain on the parade here or anything but I want to provide a little more realistic picture of differences between the V351 and what I gather from this new case. A "no spin" look :)

Basically you have two cases that have little differences. Da Box can fit a taller CPU cooler and the V351 gets you another 5.25" drive bay. The wasted space on the V351 comes from the fact that you can put the drive bays on either side. Otherwise it is a fairly good use of space just like Da Box. Personally, it might just come down to which one you think looks better and whether or not CPU cooler is more important than the extra drive bay. Every case has some features and not others...just take your pick :)

Having owned a Sugo3 and a V-350, I can say that the V-350 felt much larger, larger than numbers might suggest. It might just be its form factor, but the case felt huge. With that size however, I was able to easily cram in a crossfire video setup and a CPU and NB loop. I might have pulled all this equipment out of my Sugo3 first, but it fit in the V-350 just as well...

This case might not replace my Sugo in my stable, but for some SFF'ers wishing to bolt 2kg of copper on top of their CPUs I could see it being a godsend.

Last edited:
Having owned a Sugo3 and a V-350, I can say that the V-350 felt much larger, larger than numbers might suggest. It might just be its form factor, but the case felt huge. With that size however, I was able to easily cram in a crossfire video setup and a CPU and NB loop. I might have pulled all this equipment out of my Sugo3 first, but it fit in the V-350 just as well...

This case might not replace my Sugo in my stable, but for some SFF'ers wishing to bolt 2kg of copper on top of their CPUs I could see it being a godsend.
Of course if you want to plop down a 2kg piece of copper on your CPU I question why you want the smallest SFF anyway but to each their own.

Yeah, 17% difference is large. It is roughly 3 dvd drives stacked or so to give you an idea of the added space. Or, you could look at it like adding 3 inches to the height.

Hey Guys,
Loving the debate!:p

Size difference:
V351 - 27 Liters
Da Box - 23 Liters
17% difference - 23 Liters is about the same size as the SG01-2-3-4
It was quite a bit of work to squeeze this 17% volume reduction. It is indeed comparable in volume to a SG01. And like some said, having had the V351 and DA BOX in hand, the V351 feels much bigger, mostly because of its height (if you go leaner and longer, it makes the case look much smaller).

CPU Cooler difference:
V351 - ~125mm(can't confirm)
Da Box - 190mm
There are actually two cases that can fit virtually any CPU cooler (not 1) and anything over 160mm doesn't matter. 125mm will fit a lot of great coolers but I agree the "Da Box" has an advantage here.
Since I designed this case with overclockers in mind, not being able to fit a 160-165mm heatsink was a big issue. Actually, we wanted to be able to fit every single heatsink on the market. So this is an excellent advantage to have for a SFF case I would think.
I'm curious to know what are the 2 cases, real SFF case (so close in size to DA BOX), that would fit full size coolers without any modding?

Cooling difference:
V351 - Seemingly positive pressure
Da Box - Seemingly negative pressure (by the way the website has two different specs on this)
I think each will cool about the same. The top exhaust is nice in the "Da Box" case.
This is correct. There will be negative pressure in DA BOX, which explains why we used dust filters.

PSU Difference:
V351 - 160mm PSU is probably the max.
Da Box - Possible issues with long GPU and 160mm+ PSUs (modular PSUs)
I'll have to come back to you guys on that. But I don't think you'll have any issues. The reason there was a debate with the 160mm+ PSU is because of the optional 92mm fan sitting next to it (which has been resolved).

And here is something to keep you busy!:D until I post the next one, and the next....:p
DA_BOX_pres.jpg
DA_BOX_pres3.jpg

DA_BOX_pres2.jpg

Last edited:
I guess it's too late since you're probably past the prototype phase, but on my Micro Fly, I have an external 3-1/2" bay, which I have mounted a dual hot-swap 2.5" internal enclosure for my SSD's. I also have a 5-1/4" hot swap for my 3-1/2" hard drive. Is there the possibility of having external bays with covers or is the front bezel pretty much final? (Looking at it now I guess the PS prevents that huh?) Oh yeah, I would like to see possibly heavier gauge wire for the PS extension.

Last edited:
I'm a PITA and a perfectionist, so sorry, but the RAM fan should be pointing the other way, otherwise you'll be recycling hot air from the PSU exhaust. Air flow should be from one side of the case to the other.

Hey Guys,
Loving the debate!:p
Oh, no debate. It comes down to what you want. The best SFF is the one that fits your own needs.

It was quite a bit of work to squeeze this 17% volume reduction. It is indeed comparable in volume to a SG01. And like some said, having had the V351 and DA BOX in hand, the V351 feels much bigger, mostly because of its height (if you go leaner and longer, it makes the case look much smaller).
You'd be hard pressed to get it under 22L with normal components.

I'm curious to know what are the 2 cases, real SFF case (so close in size to DA BOX), that would fit full size coolers without any modding?
The Qmicra 2 can fit up to 160ish mm CPU coolers which are the largest common ones used I've seen. The Qmicra 2 is went to hold more than Da Box apparently )

This is correct. There will be negative pressure in DA BOX, which explains why we used dust filters.

:D

Back