New Samsung 4k for everyone.

The JU6700 is not a matte finish. I wish it was. Matte screens are my preferred finish.

Well, matte is relative. Maybe not as shiny as the 7500 and above?

I've never actually looked at one, but that's been outlined as one of the main differences since the start of this thread.

The 6700 is described as "semi-gloss". You're correct though, the 6700 is less shiny than the 7500.

Taken from rtings.com

============================
A purely matte screen has a very big disadvantage compared to a glossy screen: it reduces picture quality and clearness considerably. To reduce the amount of reflection, a matte screen diffuses the light coming into the screen. The problem is that it also diffuses the light coming out of the screen, which adds a little blurriness to the picture. Also, a matte screen reflects more ambient light. In a bright room, this reduces the perceived contrast ratio of the television.

It is hard to classify a TV as matte or glossy. Most new TVs are semi-gloss.

For these reasons, manufacturers are getting away from matte TV screens. Out of the all of the TVs we tested in 2014, and so far in 2015, none has had a pure matte screen.
============================

The 6700 is definitely less glossy than the 9000. I actually like both of them. Image quality is excellent on both, but the 9000 is better (though not sure if it is worth double the price). Unfortunately I don't have direct experience with the 7500.

The 7500 has far less ghosting than the 6700. Do not let this be downplayed. If you're sensitive to ghosting, it is a drastic difference. I returned my 6700 for a 7500, mainly because the ghosting was so bad, which rtings later confirmed. A blurry, smeared mess it was.
Depends on your tolerance of ghosting. I have little tolerance for it.

Personally I think the js9000 is over priced, even with some of the more recent price declines, for the average consumer but those with deep pockets will want the js9000 over the other units particularly if you plan to game on it. For the non gamers cheaper units will suffice fine. You have to ask yourself if you can afford and willing to spend the money for the js9000.

If you guys are going to watch movies on your PC with this TV, do you keep it in PC mode or switch to a different mode for the best viewing experience? Not sure if 24 FPS movie on 60 FPS screen for PC mode would be worse than a different mode.

Zarathustra[H];1041991012 said:
The 240hz figures are marketing "fake" hz.

the 6700 contains a 60hz panel. The 7500 contains a 120hz panel (which you can only ever run at 60hz, there is no way to display 120hz signals from your computer)

The differences are as follows:
  • 6700 has a matte finish, 7500 is glossy
  • 7500 has less ghosting (very slight) due to panel refreshing at 120hz, even though you can only display 60hz content
  • 6700 has one HDMI2.0 input. All inputs on the 7500 are HDMI2.0 (I think, someone correct me if wrong)
  • 7500 has 3d, 6700 does not

Before I bought my JS9000 I was comparing these two. I wasnt sure if I'd prefer the 6700 or the 7500 as I tend to prefer matte screens, but then I went and bought the glossy JS9000 :p
The panel of JU7500 is 100Hz, not 120Hz. All highend models even JS9000+ has 100Hz. You can check your panel in service menu.

The refresh rate of the panel is probably dependent on PAL vs NTSC, or rather multiples of their respective frame rates.

I'd imagine US models would have panels set to refresh rates in multiples of 30hz and euro models might have panels set to multiples of 25hz

Here you are very useful topic for all 2015 models. Browse it.

Interesting topic.

For example a quote:
Samsung UE55JS8500 type panel :55A1UU8XJ , A=Samsung VA panel, 1=100Hz panel (PQI 1900) ,platform Hawk M

There are teardowns of TVs, One Connect and etcs.

TV refresh rates reflect the mains frequency / what is broadcast.
So in the UK for example, TVs used to be 50Hz only. In the US they used to be 60Hz. They both later morphed to support both frequencies.

Frame doubling followed the same principle and may still do.
My old UK Plasma TV had image smoothing that operated at 100Hz max yet it supported 60Hz just fine.
US versions of the same TV had 120Hz image smoothing.
The same may still apply.

Just picked up a 48" 6700. I'll post pictures later this week of all three - 48" 6700 | 48" 9000 | 48" 6700.

Please, share with us your experience with the panels - dead/stuck pixels, dust, hair other issues with TV itself. Thanks.

TV: 48JU7500

Could you suggest the settings for monitor pc (no gaming)?

After the firmware update (1412) I can not find optimal settings :(

And what exactly do you want?
What kind of settings don't you like?

I want to know what are the differences between mode "PC" mode and "DVI PC".

Also wanted to know if you use standard mode or entertainment and what your values of backlight (20), contrast (90), brightness (40) and sharpness (50).

It is as if the image and above the text is slightly blurred.

Please, share with us your experience with the panels - dead/stuck pixels, dust, hair other issues with TV itself. Thanks.

There's a lot of that info in the thread :)

I'm rather happy with my 48" JS9000.
There's one dead pixel, on an unfortunate spot, lower left part of the screen, not in the corner, but maybe between the corner and middle of the screen.
It's not a huge issue as it's only visible on black bagrounds. Other than that, no dust/hair/bleeding.
Beautiful screen.

I had a 40" before this 48", and I can't see myself going back to anything smaller than 40".
I mean, how can people sit on 27" screen and claim that it's better than my 48" monster with colors and resolution out of this world, just because their 27" is 144hz?
My JS9000 eats those 144hz and shits out a beautiful Rainbow made out of high resolution icecream.

I feel like I should buy a lottery ticket...! I just finished checking my new 48" 6700 and no dead or stuck pixels. Screen looks really good!

That is 5 for 5 with no dead/stuck pixels. All 5 were bought locally and I talked with the warehouse foreman and they pay particular attention to flat panel TVs and supposedly they are handled with more care. They even open up the box in front of you, pull out the TV and do a visual inspection for any cracks/screen issues/cosmetic damage (not powered on). I bought my TVs from RC Willey (regional furniture/electronics dealer - Utah, Idaho area)

I wonder if a lot of the issues are from mishandling by UPS/FedEx?

Now I'm just hoping that Samsung comes out with a better promo in the next 30 days. I would really like to see the free soundbar (or $$ off an upgraded soundar) deal come back with the same pricing as the current promo.

Gook luck everyone!

Anyone know of a 4K display that can do 4:4:4 around ~20ms? Appears most 4K TV's when enabling 4:4:4 chroma shoot up to 40+ms and are only ~20ms is crappy 4:2:0 "game mode".

Have you actually played a game on the JU7500 in PC mode? I find the lag to be almost, if not, imperceptible.

Have you actually played a game on the JU7500 in PC mode? I find the lag to be almost, if not, imperceptible.

The LG OLED I had was ~50ms input lag, but that was at full 4:4:4. Yes, the input lag was very noticeable.

It seems these other TV's don't do much better in 4:4:4, the best around 40ms. Some TV's can do low 20ms, but that's with a large image quality hit going to 4:2:0.

The LG OLED I had was ~50ms input lag, but that was at full 4:4:4. Yes, the input lag was very noticeable.

It seems these other TV's don't do much better in 4:4:4, the best around 40ms. Some TV's can do low 20ms, but that's with a large image quality hit going to 4:2:0.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I feel like I remember a firmware update switching the chroma mode on these Samsung models from 4:2:0 to 4:2:2 at some point early on.

Either way, in game I can't really tell the difference - quality wise - between game mode and PC Mode. I can definitely feel the input lag in PC Mode though, so I play in game mode.

For work/text/websites game mode is not good enough though. With high contrast text in varying colors, the reduction in chroma makes itself noticeable.

I'd imagine if you played games with high contrast colored text, this could be an issue, but in none of the games I play do I notice the chroma difference, unless I pull down a console or something like that.

Anyone find a 15ft cable that does 4:4:4? I have tried the highest speed rated cables from Monoprice, MediaBridge, KabelDirekt, BlueRigger and none have worked fully. The MediaBridge is the closest to working; get 4:4:4 but the screen will cut out occasionally.

Anyone know of a 4K display that can do 4:4:4 around ~20ms? Appears most 4K TV's when enabling 4:4:4 chroma shoot up to 40+ms and are only ~20ms is crappy 4:2:0 "game mode".

I don't think there are any.

Sony gets the lowest if you want 4:4:4, rtings measured 37.4ms on the 930C.

Had? Why no longer?

I don't think there are any.

Sony gets the lowest if you want 4:4:4, rtings measured 37.4ms on the 930C.

Check the first post of this thread. The JU7500 was measured at 36ms, with the JS8500 not far behind.

Had? Why no longer?

Check the first post of this thread. The JU7500 was measured at 36ms, with the JS8500 not far behind.

Those are at 1080p not 4K.
What really matters is how it feels to you though, especially when there is little choice.
Ratings dont let you know that.

Those are at 1080p not 4K.

Forgot about that, but I assumed that the 37.4ms figure mentioned for the Sony was obtained by the same method, and if so then it's inaccurate to state that it has the lowest amount of lag. A miniscule difference, sure, but a difference nonetheless.

I wonder if the 2016 models will bring any improvements in this area.

Forgot about that, but I assumed that the 37.4ms figure mentioned for the Sony was obtained by the same method, and if so then it's inaccurate to state that it has the lowest amount of lag. A miniscule difference, sure, but a difference nonetheless.

I wonder if the 2016 models will bring any improvements in this area.

I dont think its safe to think in those terms when considering lag figures.
Its early days for 4K TVs, the electronics and firmware used are not optimal, they are very much still under development.
The processing involved in getting 4K to look its best will undoubtedly vary between Brands, Series and Models, as will the lag figures and will not be the same as 1080p processing.
Every TV has to be taken on its own particular figures, no assumptions can be made, only finding out by experience/testing.
And this changes with time as well!
There is no information available about what is in the firmware and how it is written, it is an unknown that is constantly varying with each update. We only get to know about the end result.

No doubt there will be some improvements in 2016 but again that will vary from mfr and for different models.
In order for a mfr to differentiate all the range of TVs from each other, some of the cheaper ones may be deliberately gimped to make the more expensive ones look more appealing.
Some mfrs may find a minor drop in quality can save them a lot of money resulting in a backward step.

Forums like this are essential to find peoples experiences and keep track.
Early days. Lots to discover.

So on a whim today I bought a 48" JS9000 to test out and see how it fares in comparison to the OLED. I am astonished how bad this display is. Let alone being Samsung's #2 top display.

1. To get lower input lag, you must use 4:2:0 in game mode. Whomever said you can't really notice the color reduction in games must have cataracts. Or maybe playing Nintendo. The original. It is god-awful. Also, desktop use in 4:2:0 is just laughably bad. I'd rather use a 1080p display in games and desktop than 4K @ 4:2:0.

2. Two pixel defects.

3. Horrible low frequency PWM. My eyes were literally hurting after a half hour with this display. The PWM is so bad it actually affects the motion clarity as you go up and down the back-light brightness scale. Simply smooth scrolling a web page you can see the PWM artifacts. Samsung should be ashamed of themselves, it's horrid.

4. Backlight glow on black/dark images. Was surprised at how poorly this VA panel handled blacks.

5. Noise from one-connect box.

There is no reason to get these 4K LCD's with OLED out, unless cost is a huge concern. I think this JS9000 is the quickest repackage for return display I've had in many years.

So on a whim today I bought a 48" JS9000 to test out and see how it fares in comparison to the OLED. I am astonished how bad this display is. Let alone being Samsung's #2 top display.

1. To get lower input lag, you must use 4:2:0 in game mode. Whomever said you can't really notice the color reduction in games must have cataracts. It is god-awful. Also, desktop use in 4:2:0 is just laughably bad. I'd rather use a 1080p display in games and desktop than 4K @ 4:2:0.

2. Two pixel defects.

3. Horrible low frequency PWM. My eyes were literally hurting after a half hour with this display. The PWM is so bad it actually affects the motion clarity as you go up and down the back-light brightness scale. Simply smooth scrolling a web page you can see the PWM artifacts. Samsung should be ashamed of themselves, it's horrid.

4. Backlight glow on black/dark images. Was surprised at how poorly this VA panel handled blacks.

There is no reason to get these 4K LCD's with OLED out, unless cost is a huge concern. I think this JS9000 is the quickest repackage for return display I've had in many years.

Did you update the firmware to the latest version before doing your comparison?

In later firmwares game mode is 4:2:2, not 4:2:0.

And did you follow my guide to set it up?

Game mode DOES look ABSOLUTELY HORRIFIC out of the box, but that has to do with a bug in the sharpness settings. Turn it down to 0, and it is the equivalent of sharpness of 50 in PC mode, and it looks quite good.

You also need to enable UHD mode to get full 4:4:4 in PC mode.

There is some part to part variability in these Samsung panels. Some do have a few bad pixels, and others have baclight uniformity issues, but it is far from universal.

I can't even detect really bad square PWM, let alone the OK-ish PWM of the JS9000. Some people are sensitive to it though, I understand that. I can't see it at all, so I am lucky.

Back-light glow can be limited byusing matrix dimming. I like it in some cases not in others.

OLED is great, but it tends to come with higher input lag, and image retention issues. That and it tends to be much more expensive. I am very happy with this display.

Yes, firmware was updated. It's the first thing the TV does once you put it on wifi. It actually updated the firmware twice.

Once you are in game mode, selecting 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 in NVIDIA control panel doesn't have any affect. It's just horrid. I followed your guide. How do you think it compares to 4:4:4 in PC mode? The difference is startling. Obviously you need to select UHD color to get 4:4:4, it won't even show up in the NVIDIA control panel otherwise.

I certainly wasn't expecting pixel defects and large back light glow on a panel such as this. Regardless of all of the above, the simple use of low frequency PWM would be enough to return the display. That's just cheap business right there not to include a proper DC voltage control. The PWM is so bad it effects the motion clarity and I can see the PWM artifacts/stutter as the image moves!

The JS9000 actually has about the same input lag as the OLED in 4:4:4 mode. To me that's the really only comparable/usable mode. 4:2:2/4:2:0 ruins most of the benefit of 4K. I actually thought I was going to like the display. I guess one positive is that 48" is a really good size for an immersive computer display lol.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I opened mine up today and mine looks like the diffuser is pulling away from the panel in the bottom right. Anybody else get one like this? It makes it seem like there is a wave at the bottom.

http://imgur.com/a/HHNxv

I'm wondering if this happened during shipping, the box it came in got a little beat up

http://imgur.com/a/u8Moh

This is probably the best example of it:
cNAoiEE.jpg

Windows puts little white bars under the active tabs on the start menu. You can see they disappear when they get to the section where the back light is separating because they aren't lit up.

Last edited:
I hope the 2016 Oleds have improved lag times and image retention issues.

Last edited:

1. To get lower input lag, you must use 4:2:0 in game mode. Whomever said you can't really notice the color reduction in games must have cataracts. Or maybe playing Nintendo. The original. It is god-awful. Also, desktop use in 4:2:0 is just laughably bad. I'd rather use a 1080p display in games and desktop than 4K @ 4:2:0.

2. Two pixel defects.

Couple things.
I agree with most of what you're saying.
The PWM sucks bad on these things, but it is adjustable in the sense that you can minimize its effect, based on the brightness, backlight and contrast you adjust. I have found the 'sweet spot' or rather compromise between image quality and least irritation from PWM. But yeah, Samsung should be shot for this crap in 2015.
*Do they do this awful same PWM on their large sets? I'm looking at the the 78" JS8600, JS9100 and JS9500 sets and there's no way I'll drop that kinda cash if the PWM is the same 120hz crap that's on these smaller sets.
Completely agree - Game Mode looks horrid - unusable IMO. Might as well go back to my 2560x1600 30"er.
Luckily I find the PC mode input lag to be fine. I'm far more sensitive to pixel response times (ghosting) than input lag - which forced me to return the 6700 for the 7500.
The bad pixels only really affect the larger sets and especially the 9 series. Like 99% of the 6 and 7 series 40 sets don't have pixel issues.

Back