New Samsung 4k for everyone.

Why would they? Some added DisplayPort before HDMI 2.0 was ready, but it will likely disappear from tvs once again. Other than computers, what AV equipment includes DisplayPort?

HDMI 2.0 should be on every new computer soon. Can't hang onto the old things forever! Everyone will be wanting USB 3.1 and USB-C soon also.

I agree with you that HDMI 2.0 should be on almost new system in the future but it isn't soon as fast as you think. You can see on the some top devices have just released in 2015 as macbook pro mid 2015, macbook 12 inch, ... where is the hdmi port 2.0? Obviously, at this time DP 1.2 or mini DP 1.2 are enormous common than HDMI 2.0.

I'm looking to purchase one of the 48" Samsungs from Crutchfield. The website shows that it will ship freight, and in chatting with one of their advisors I was told that the return would cost $125.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.

I'm looking to purchase one of the 48" Samsungs from Crutchfield. The website shows that it will ship freight, and in chatting with one of their advisors I was told that the return would cost $125.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.

I saw mixed information on that as well, so I called them prior to purchasing my 48JU6700. At first, the customer service agent couldn't tell me whether it would qualify for the $10 return label or not. When I pressed her to find out, she said that it would, and I have that chat log saved. Sure enough, it shipped via regular UPS.

However, when I ordered my 48JU7500, it shipped freight despite being the exact same size and similar weight, so in theory it should not qualify for the $10 return label. I have no idea what the difference is or why one would ship via freight and not the other. I suspect that if I really wanted to return the 7500, I could make a case that it should qualify for the $10 return label since the 48JU6700 did. But I'm gonna keep the 7500...just submitted an RMA request for the 6700 this morning, in fact.

So really considering the 48 8500 or 9000 to replace the 40 7500 I have now.

To curve or not to curve, and always wonder if the full sized connection box will add new features related to monitor use in future updated versions.

so early information ive seen suggests that the new amd cards will not have hdmi at all just displayport, and since our usage of these tvs hinges entirely on that connection, are we going to be locked in to nvidia and do you think they will continue to offer hdmi on future cards? was looking forward to upgrading soon. what do you guys think?

so early information ive seen suggests that the new amd cards will not have hdmi at all just displayport, and since our usage of these tvs hinges entirely on that connection, are we going to be locked in to nvidia and do you think they will continue to offer hdmi on future cards? was looking forward to upgrading soon. what do you guys think?

I didn't hear that. Shite

To curve or not to curve, and always wonder if the full sized connection box will add new features related to monitor use in future updated versions.

You previously stated that you were contemplating between 4K/60HZ and 144Hz Gsync 1440P. Is your verdict 4K/60hz > 144Hz Gsync?

One acronym:

HTPC

Don't include HDMI and they basically have exited the home theater market, which is more high-end than PC gaming.
Also, with the rise of ITX PCs for living room gaming, it doesn't make any sense to go all in with DP.

Does anyone have any info on these as a gaming monitor? http://www.rtings.com/ has nothing on them, I wonder why?

I don't think anyone really considered them until the recent price drop.

That being said... I just pulled the trigger on a 48" JS9000. My local store had one that was a special order that was cancelled before it came in. They don't normally carry that TV in that size so they offered me $150 off. Basically I'm saving $30 after tax, I get it tomorrow and I don't have to play the freight game with Crutchfield. The one downside is that I will have 14 day return period (could probably push it to 21 days). I don't think that will be an issue for me as I will have my answer by the end of the weekend.

I'll post my impressions Friday or Saturday (if it doesn't come in tomorrow, it will be in on Friday). I will be comparing against the JU6700 (will have side-by-side comparison of a 40" 6700 and a 48" 6700 in my wife's office). This has been both fun and exciting going through this upgrade, but I sure will be happy to have this done so I can relax and enjoy.

Tough decision, but a fantastic price for the upgrade from what you have.

I just swapped my 48" 6700 with my wife's 40" 6700 and wow does it feel small. I had the 48" for a little over a month I believe, and every day it still felt immersive and wonderful. Right now the 40" feels like I'm back with the Dell 30's. My how perspective changes!

I read back through your posts - can you elaborate on this? Very interested in what you found.

Thanks

The picture quality takes a huge hit in game mode. I believe all the expensive processing effects the customer is paying for, is forced off---hence the low input lag. So it makes no sense to overpay for the wider color gamut, color accuracy, and other enhancements in the 8500 if game mode is the main entree for the user.

The picture quality takes a huge hit in game mode. I believe all the expensive processing effects the customer is paying for, is forced off---hence the low input lag. So it makes no sense to overpay for the wider color gamut, color accuracy, and other enhancements in the 8500 if game mode is the main entree for the user.

Thanks for elaborating. I haven't used Game mode on my 6700 - just used PC mode. As long as it looks better in that, I'm all in.

This article references a leaked XFX document that at least the R9 370 will have Display Port, HDMI, Dual DVI and no vga.

http://www.game-debate.com/news/?ne...eries Until June As First R9 370 Details Leak

This leaked photo supposedly of a water cooled 390x shows what appears to be 3 Display ports and one HDMI at the bottom.

http://cdn.videocardz.com/1/2015/05/Radeon-R9-390X.jpg

Last edited:

How long ago was this? Game mode looked like crap before firmware 1207. Now it actually look very good. This may be the case as well for the 8 and 9 series. Processing is one thing, but quantum dot pixels don't get turned off on game mode.

I agree with you that HDMI 2.0 should be on almost new system in the future but it isn't soon as fast as you think. You can see on the some top devices have just released in 2015 as macbook pro mid 2015, macbook 12 inch, ... where is the hdmi port 2.0? Obviously, at this time DP 1.2 or mini DP 1.2 are enormous common than HDMI 2.0.

Not on portable device. None of the current tablets have DP out only mini HDMI. Most non Mac laptop have HDMI but no DP, it would be more logical easier for them to go to HDMI 2.0 rather than DP for 4K support. I expect HDMI 2.0 will be on most non Mac laptop by the end of the year and on tablets early next.

I'll post my impressions Friday or Saturday (if it doesn't come in tomorrow, it will be in on Friday). I will be comparing against the JU6700 (will have side-by-side comparison of a 40" 6700 and a 48" 6700 in my wife's office). This has been both fun and exciting going through this upgrade, but I sure will be happy to have this done so I can relax and enjoy.

Great - because after the 980ti and the 290X come out I am buying two of them and somerthing 4K.

I've been having a problem with my JU6500. It turned off on me twice while I was watching shows using the Netflix app. The sleep timer is off, so I have no idea what's going on. Has anyone else had this happen and/or know of a solution?

Last edited:
I've been having a problem with my JU6500. It's turned off on me twice when I was watching shows using the Netflix app. The sleep timer is off, so I have no idea what's going on. Has anyone else had this happen and/or know of a solution?

I might have seen it once. I was watching something on netflix and the screen went dark. but I think I was still getting audio. Forgot how I got it back. I either exited and went back in or something. I'll try to watch for it next time.

Not on portable device. None of the current tablets have DP out only mini HDMI. Most non Mac laptop have HDMI but no DP, it would be more logical easier for them to go to HDMI 2.0 rather than DP for 4K support. I expect HDMI 2.0 will be on most non Mac laptop by the end of the year and on tablets early next.

It's mean that you have to wait to the end of this year, or might be to the mid of next year. Instead of this time some light weight devices has already mini DP 1.2 to run 4k@60hz as Surface 3, mac 12,.. You could see clear that between TV manufacture and and Computer devices don't have a synchronization. One side using hdmi 2.0 for 4k and another side using DP, or miniDP 1.2.

can you access all the settings on Samsung, when using hdmi port with 4:4:4 chroma?
i mean, brightness, contrast, color saturation, etc
I like the Philips 4k monitor but the colors are under saturated even with Nvidia Digital vibrance

you can access back light, contrast, brightness and sharpness, but not color and tint(G/R), there are a few others you can mess with under picture options such as color tone and HDMI black level.

can you access all the settings on Samsung, when using hdmi port with 4:4:4 chroma?
i mean, brightness, contrast, color saturation, etc
I like the Philips 4k monitor but the colors are under saturated even with Nvidia Digital vibrance

The contrast setting under the Samsung settings and the Nvidia control was all that was needed to make colors pop. If contrast doesn't help on the Phillips, then that's just the limitation of the panel and there's no amount of software tweak will help it. There are only so much you can do with software, the rest is just hardware limitations.

Got my 40JU6500 today, but unfortunately I only have 280x card, so I'm limited to 4k@30Hz which is atrocious and totally not usable...

But the thing is, it does not allow me even 1440p@60Hz.. What's up with that? Anyone know? It only allows me 1440p@30Hz..

So right now I'm stuck with 1080p@60Hz.

Got my 40JU6500 today, but unfortunately I only have 280x card, so I'm limited to 4k@30Hz which is atrocious and totally not usable...

But the thing is, it does not allow me even 1440p@60Hz.. What's up with that? Anyone know? It only allows me 1440p@30Hz..

So right now I'm stuck with 1080p@60Hz.

Cos there isnt enough bandwidth in HDMI 1.x for 1440p 60
That it doesnt work spells it out really.

People who run at 2560x1440 use Dual Link DVI (effectively 2x HDMI 1.x) or Displayport.
There have been some monitors that allow overclocking of HDMI 1, perhaps you can try forcing an HDMI overclock.

Cos there isnt enough bandwidth in HDMI 1.x for 1440p 60
That it doesnt work spells it out really.

People who run at 2560x1440 use Dual Link DVI (effectively 2x HDMI 1.x) or Displayport.
There have been some monitors that allow overclocking of HDMI 1, perhaps you can try forcing an HDMI overclock.

Yeah, I tried, doesn't work.. I just thought that if 4k@30Hz works then 1440p@60Hz should too, as it probably requires roughly the same bandwidth..

Ah well, it's 1080p for the next ~3 weeks then..

Thanks.

It's mean that you have to wait to the end of this year, or might be to the mid of next year. Instead of this time some light weight devices has already mini DP 1.2 to run 4k@60hz as Surface 3, mac 12,.. You could see clear that between TV manufacture and and Computer devices don't have a synchronization. One side using hdmi 2.0 for 4k and another side using DP, or miniDP 1.2.

DP is available on less then 10% of all portable computing device. This tells you which direction the PC manufacturers are going. One reason that most people don't know is that there is quite a big gap in the licensing fees for DP and HDMI and when manufacturers are competing against each other on price point, That pretty much limits DP to highend products.

So I just started having an issue after I upgraded the firmware to 1214, not sure if anyone else is having this issue or not:

When the computer goes to sleep (15 minutes) and then the TV gets no signal (15 additional minutes) it turns itself off. It used to be where I could turn the TV back on, move the mouse, and the screen would come back to life. Now when I turn the TV on no amount of moving the mouse or pressing keys makes the 'no signal' screen go away. I've tried switching sources as well, but it doesn't matter. I have to reboot my machine to get the picture back. Any ideas?

I'm having this same issue. I did reinstall the nvidia driver, and the problem seemed to go away. But today I woke my pc from sleep, and the TV just said "no signal". I had to restart my pc before it would come on again.

I also have a side monitor hooked up, which that did come on when my main monitor (the TV) didn't.

I don't know if this is a driver issue, or a firmware issue.

priority question:

will it skip frames at 1080@120Hz?

Okay - I got this for using with my computer. I am happy to test stuff, but you will need to guide me on how best to do it. After all, need to repay all the awesome info that others have helped me (and others) with in this thread!

you can access back light, contrast, brightness and sharpness, but not color and tint(G/R), there are a few others you can mess with under picture options such as color tone and HDMI black level.

What's the difference between color and tint(G/R) and color tone ??

Back