New Forum Software Feedback

Edge doesn't work, either. I vote we go back to the old package...……………...

Just humor me and try the same gif I posted and see if that works.

I suspect a small size limit or something of the like is in place to minimize use of videos embedded in gifs.

I guess there is a limit, yours works. Damn, all of mine are on the larger side. Or larger than this one.

55.gif

The thing that bugs me the most is the display of the current page, as the overall forum esthetic suggests that the current page should be indicated with a depressed button, not the other way around.

Screenshot_20200131-222256~01.jpg

The buttons on the upper right work the opposite way, making the UI inconsistent:

Screenshot_20200131-223252~01.jpg

I guess there is a limit, yours works. Damn, all of mine are on the larger side. Or larger than this one.

View attachment 219838

I have no idea if that is on purpose, or just the forum software default settings. Might be something FrgMstr is willing to answer, but to be honest, I'm not sure if I consider GIF's to be an integral part of the forum experience. In fact, they might detract more than they add if we start getting highly animated threads...

3050538-inline-s-10-everything-wonderful-about-geocities-in-one-visual-time-capsule.gif

I have no idea if that is on purpose, or just the forum software default settings. Might be something FrgMstr is willing to answer, but to be honest, I'm not sure if I consider GIF's to be an integral part of the forum experience. In fact, they might detract more than they add if we start getting highly animated threads...

View attachment 219848
I am not really worried about that right now.

Hmmm, here's an attempt to drag'n'drop an image off imgur. FF 72.0.2, Win 10.
uwiaMhN.png

My view of "a waste of space" is colored by forums like Discourse.

I like Discourse a lot, haven't seen a more responsive forum UI yet but I'm not on to many forums these days so there may be one out there.

I like Discourse a lot, haven't seen a more responsive forum UI yet but I'm not on to many forums these days so there may be one out there.

I don't think there is. But this place is a dense palimpset of close-packed hieroglyphics by comparison. (Also I was on a site that tried switching to Discourse back in the early days, and saw a lot of nasty bugs and bad attitude from the developer. Maybe he's gotten better, but at the time the Discourse head honcho would make himself an admin and censor posts he didn't like. That went...really badly and the site switched away to something else.

I would say the placement of "new posts" on the left and "mark forums read" should be switched. I was too used to new posts being there and almost marked the forums read twice now.

yea, old habits are hard to break so ... hang in there ;)

Looks like the CSS is set to size the font based on the height of the container, which might be okay for wide format displays, but on my smaller phone at least it makes the size of thread titles vary widely depending on how many lines the title uses...or something like that. in any case it's not consistent at all.

Screenshot_20200131-192958.png
Screenshot_20200131-193004.png
Screenshot_20200131-193016.png

its great IF YOUR BLIND, lol just kidding, though it is kinda in your face huge

Reactions: N4CR
like this
What do the pluses next to the thread titles mean? New posts? Since when?

Functional.I guess, but the position looks a little weird.

Last edited:
Just noticed quoting highlighted text in a thread isn't a thing anymore. That's unfortunate. :/

I never realized that was a thing. For years I've been quoting the whole ying and removing the sections I didn't want :p

What do the pluses next to the thread titles mean? New posts? Since when?

Functional.I guess, but the position looks a little weird.

The plus next to the thread title is the indicator that you have post(s) in that thread.

Looks like the CSS is set to size the font based on the height of the container, which might be okay for wide format displays, but on my smaller phone at least it makes the size of thread titles vary widely depending on how many lines the title uses...or something like that. in any case it's not consistent at all.

View attachment 219895View attachment 219896View attachment 219898

Hmm. There are a few different posts in this list that are long enough to wrap around along multiple lines like in your screenshots, but the font size is all the same....

Maybe it is browser dependent?

1580533073866.png

Edit:

Holy shit that wound up being huge.

Guess I am going to have to scale before posting from now on...

Edit2:

That's a little better

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200131-234537.png
    Screenshot_20200131-234537.png
    614.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hmm. There are a few different posts in this list that are long enough to wrap around along multiple lines like in your screenshots, but the font size is all the same....

Maybe it is browser dependent?

View attachment 219944
I think at least part of it is that some of those threads have unread posts, and others have been completely read by me, so there's some bold and some not. That list is the front page news, btw.

Could also be browser dependant–that was in chrome on my bitty jelly phone, but in Opera on my big phone it's not as obvious, though I think there is still a slight difference in font size. If I was on my desktop I could look at Chrome's css inspector to see exactly what's going on...

OK, give us a few days to work through desktop first, then we will get to mobile.

OK. I know it's not a priority right now, but here is some additional information for later if you want to look into it.

On Firefox Mobile on Android, uploading attachments works (or doesn't work) sortof like this:

1580533766632.png

You can tap the "Attach Files" button to take you to the attachment screen.

1580533831617.png

This screen usually allows me to upload. Then it says you may have to close this window or go back to continue. When I do that I am usually brought back to the original screen without the attachment being shown as present:

1580533766632.png

If I hit reload, sometimes the attachment appears here, other times the message is just lost. If I get to the point where the message appears it looks like this:

1580533969239.png

Only problem is tapping the "thumbnail", "full image" or "delete" buttons does nothing at all. There is seemingly no way to get the newly attached image into the message. If I just post as is, the attached file shows up at the end of the message, but it is rather large.

Hope this is helpful.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200201-000147.png
    Screenshot_20200201-000147.png
    340.2 KB · Views: 0
My only complaint is that I really don't like the bar at the top scrolling with the page. That's a waste of space
This. Thank you! It's the most annoying thing of any website design across the web IMO. It's not needed on desktops and just makes using a phone in landscape mode shit.

Today I logged in for the first time since the the [H]Forum got updated. Tried twice in Pale Moon 28.8.2, and both times I was not asked for my 2FA code. It just straight-up signed me in. When I tried logging in a 3rd time using Firefox 72.0.2, it did ask me for the code, and I was able to enter it and log in successfully. So yeah not sure what's up with Pale Moon.

Regarding the font and UI changes, while a teeny bit jarring to suddenly experience a change, the change isn't big enough to really cause a disruption in my usage and viewing of the site. The overall color scheme is pretty much the same, and for that I thank ye. Feels like the reds have a bit more punch to them (on Dell U2410 via DP). I preferred the less intense reads of the previous theme, but again no serious issues here. Overall it seems just as usable as the previous version. This is after like maybe 20 minutes of checking stuff out. In a week or two I'll know better.

Today I logged in for the first time since the the [H]Forum got updated. Tried twice in Pale Moon 28.8.2, and both times I was not asked for my 2FA code. It just straight-up signed me in. When I tried logging in a 3rd time using Firefox 72.0.2, it did ask me for the code, and I was able to enter it and log in successfully. So yeah not sure what's up with Pale Moon.

Regarding the font and UI changes, while a teeny bit jarring to suddenly experience a change, the change isn't big enough to really cause a disruption in my usage and viewing of the site. The overall color scheme is pretty much the same, and for that I thank ye. Feels like the reds have a bit more punch to them (on Dell U2410 via DP). I preferred the less intense reads of the previous theme, but again no serious issues here. Overall it seems just as usable as the previous version. This is after like maybe 20 minutes of checking stuff out. In a week or two I'll know better.
Same here.....no 2FA request at login. Vanilla Firefox 72.0.2

This. Thank you! It's the most annoying thing of any website design across the web IMO. It's not needed on desktops and just makes using a phone in landscape mode shit.

When sites first started doing this years ago, it was usually really janky and sucked. I've noticed on both my PC and my phone, the bar here stays nicely pinned to the top and doesn't bounce. Plus, as I think I said before I like not having to scroll all the way back to the top of the page, or down to the thread list, to see notifications.

I juts noticed that I'm not receiving any notifications, even from threads I started or responses to my comments, I have to manually press "watch" in a thread to get notifications.

First off, really digging the new software.

The only minor gripe I have is I frequently go into the FS/FT & Hot Deals sub-forums and want to arrange them by newest OP. On the old, I'd simply be able to click on a header at the top of the page and it'd one click sort all threads by start date. Now, I have to go into filters, select sort by, change it to first message, and apply the filter. Not a huge huge deal but a few extra clicks either way.

In any case, thank you to those that maintain this forum; it's the only one I still frequent after years of going through various forums!

Way to exclude fsft from New posts would be great too.

Everything that annoys seems bigger. Perhaps merits adjustment?
Else, hold to the old gawds. This version is Millenial Mobile Edition.
Inconvenient decoration and lost function for sake of small screen.

Solution: Chuck 40" monitor in the bin and only read on watch.
Let one perfectly legible pinned bar occupy my entire forearm.
Who needs text content when you can now emoglyph heiroji?

🦙🦵

Last edited:
I used to be able to mark all threads in just a sub forum read but now the only option is to mark the whole forums as read. It would be nice to have the option back but if its not possible with the new software I guess I will learn to deal with it.
Although I understand what you're referring to, if you go back to the top level, and you hit mark read, it's still for all forums.

When sites first started doing this years ago, it was usually really janky and sucked. I've noticed on both my PC and my phone, the bar here stays nicely pinned to the top and doesn't bounce. Plus, as I think I said before I like not having to scroll all the way back to the top of the page, or down to the thread list, to see notifications.
Same. On mobile in Chrome it's very nice in portrait. Post body text is tiny though despite having set it in chrome.

Everything that annoys seems bigger. Perhaps merits adjustment?
Else, hold to the old gawds. This version is Millenial Mobile Edition.
Inconvenient decoration and lost function for sake of small screen.

Solution: Chuck 40" monitor in the bin and only read on watch.
Let one perfectly legible pinned bar occupy my entire forearm.
Who needs text content when you can now emoglyph heiroji?

🦙🦵

I would agree that the style screams mobile, but the irony is that on mobile devices (at least mine) it is very difficult to use. Uploads are troubled, and trying to edit text results in the screen bouncing around all over the place, usually with the text you are editing being off screen.

This might be a Firefox Mobile issue though. I know it's used by a minority, but I have sworn off Chrome.

I always use the button to go to first unread post that is next to each thread, does this just happen by clicking a thread now? I can't tell but it does not take me to page one I know that (if I have been there before)

any way of adding a 'Post reply' button at the top of a thread?...as it is now I need to scroll all the way to the bottom for the 'quick reply' or 'Post reply' areas...for a long thread it can be a bit annoying having to scroll all the way to the bottom...

Last edited:
any way of adding a 'Post reply' button at the top of a thread?...as it is now I need to scroll all the way to the bottom for the 'quick reply' or 'Post reply' areas...for a long thread is can be a bit annoying having to scroll all the way to the bottom...
Not going to happen. We want to encourage reading the thread before commenting. The quote button is there for replying to after you have read the thread.

Back