New DFI Mini-ITX MI P55-T36

No news:(
I still use cable that goes across my living room, cause I cannot use any of usb adapters. I bought 5 different brands, non of them worked, so I stopped trying...

This will definitely work :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127256&Tpk=dap-1522

It's basically a 4-port Gigabit switch with built-in WiFi. Not sure if it's a practical option though especially if you intend to move your rig around.

Connects up to 4 devices via Ethernet. Great if you have multiple devices requiring internet access (eg. PC + PS3 + XBOX 360).

This will definitely work :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127256&Tpk=dap-1522

It's basically a 4-port Gigabit switch with built-in WiFi. Not sure if it's a practical option though especially if you intend to move your rig around.

Connects up to 4 devices via Ethernet. Great if you have multiple devices requiring internet access (eg. PC + PS3 + XBOX 360).

Yes, we were talking about those.. looks like it is the only option...
I can get some cheap one with just one LAN port, G wifi and get on with it..;)

Yes, we were talking about those.. looks like it is the only option...
I can get some cheap one with just one LAN port, G wifi and get on with it..;)

I've a feeling the DFI board isn't supplying sufficient current to the USB WiFi adapter. Have you tried using a USB Y-Cable ? Maybe that'll work ...

ok problems.

known issues on other board: p55 doesnt function properly with the intel series 5 3400 usb chipset. Causes iphone and other "mass storage" devices to not work / hang / error.

Only fix able with a specifically targetted bios update.... like gigabyte and asus have done with their p55 mobos.

everytime i turn my pc on, i have to uninstall and reinstall intel network drivers 'cus it wont connect to the internet otherwise. (note, NOT WIFI, but gigabit lan cable)

Really feel let down with this, I think ive updated the bios, but the ezflash software is so poor it doesnt even say what bios im on, and errored about the ABS? everytime i did flash (did the one from 2009 and the one from 2010)

After doing a build for a customer I decided to run the same bench on my SFF

Case: Silverstone SG05
PSU: 300w FSP
GPU: eVGA GTS250
CPU: Intel Core i5 750 @ 1.2v 150BCLK
RAM: Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz 1.65v
HDD: WD Scorpio Blue 500GB
ODD: Samsung Slim DVD/RW combo
Others: Corsair H50

I tested temps and load with OCCT for the CPU, Furmark for the GPU, Speedstep and C1e were enabled and the Balanced Power profile was selected. Load temperatures are the maximum registered.

Vcore is set at 1.2v

Idle 59W/23c max of all 4 cores
Load CPU (OCCT) 158W/54c CPU
Load CPU+GPU (OCCT + Furmark@ 192x1080) 343W!!! 58c CPU, 89c GPU
Load GPU 253w, 46c CPU, 90c GPU

I let 10 minutes for temps to stabilize between measurements.

All the readings were taken with a kill-a-watt. Only active peripheals were a Logitech diNovo Edge and a pair of headphones.

The 300w PSU is really good as it seems 343w for an hour and just kept going. Of course the test is more than they typical usage scenario furmark had it's Xtreme burning mode enabled. a test without the Xtreme burning mode goes to 309w which is still pretty high.

This brings me to the following conclusions:

- SG05 with H50 have great cooling, after a couple of minutes of cool down temps were at 29c for CPU and 60c for GPU
- 300w PSU is better for an i3 530 + ATI 5770 setup, with a Quad it's getting close to the limits, it's not heavily overclocked by any mean, I'll try to lower the voltage a bit.

A gaming test will follow up

Ok, ran some gaming benchmarks to determine gaming power draw, all the numbers are the maximum observed draw during gaming.

Devil May Cry 4 with VSync off (makes fps go to 120+): 143w
Dirt2: 198w
Assassin's Creed 2 (no benchmark, real 1/2 hour session): 202w
GTA IV EFLC: 237w
GTA IV: 224w

Last edited:
Lowered the voltage to 1.15v still running OCCT and furmark it's at around 312w (30w improvement!!) will keep going down on voltage at 150blck to see how it goes

Of course that under extreme burn test, at the normal test it's nowhere close to that figure.

Last edited:
Lowered the voltage to 1.15v still running OCCT and furmark it's at around 312w (30w improvement!!) will keep going down on voltage at 150blck to see how it goes

Of course that under extreme burn test, at the normal test it's nowhere close to that figure.

What's the stock voltage on a i5 750?

Unfortunatelly I can't answer that, each board sets stock voltage to a value, you can't look at VID anymore and find out. Each CPU is different. some say they are running theirs at 1.1v @4Ghz and their stock was 0.8v, I can't really tell, all I can do is keep pushing it down till it gets unstable

Unfortunatelly I can't answer that, each board sets stock voltage to a value, you can't look at VID anymore and find out. Each CPU is different. some say they are running theirs at 1.1v @4Ghz and their stock was 0.8v, I can't really tell, all I can do is keep pushing it down till it gets unstable

OK but the board sets the normal voltage by reading VID (in order to adjust for sample variation) so if you leave voltage on normal (I don't know what the BIOS calls it) then the voltage reported by cpuz should be close to VID (actually VID+x where x is a number independent of the processor and representing a voltage adjustment to account for, for example, load-line calibration and stuff like that. Anyway that x should be fairly small anyway). Reason why I am asking is that for 150 BCLK you shouldn't have to raise voltage from stock (maybe even lower it).

yes but this board actually auto overclocked my CPU by default and set it to 180BCLK and 1.35v

Intel Core i3-530 Clarkdale 2.93GHz 4MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 73W
Scythe SCSK-1100 100mm Shuriken Rev. B 3 Heat Pipes CPU Cooler
Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT12864BA1339

How far do you guys think I can take the i3 350 with those parts along with the DFI? I'm not looking to really overclock this CPU but I just wanted to see how far I can overclock it, just to squeeze out some extra performance.

Does it officially support i3?...as long as it has the latest BIOS? I'm going to receive this board soon and was wondering the chances of it have the latest BIOS so it can boot with the i3.

How far do you guys think I can take the i3 350 with those parts along with the DFI? I'm not looking to really overclock this CPU but I just wanted to see how far I can overclock it, just to squeeze out some extra performance.

Does it officially support i3?...as long as it has the latest BIOS? I'm going to receive this board soon and was wondering the chances of it have the latest BIOS so it can boot with the i3.

i3 530 booted with the factory BIOS (just had to push the BIOS reset button in the back) and was able to O/C to 3.6GHz on stock voltage. Didn't try higher, and don't want to as for me stock speed is good enough. If you want to seriously o/c with this board, then would recommend after market CPU cooler like the Cooler Master GeminII 'S'. Also some low profile ram sinks for the VRMs. The board comes with EZ Tuner app which gives VRM temps so keep an eye on that.

VRM temps are the only real driver, good thing is that the 530 is 73w instead of 95w (the quads) and some of that is the IGP i guess and you won't be using it.

You need a discrete video card, it's not listed there just a reminder. With a good heatsink you can get good OC from that proc on that board, the advice is 180BLCK for an i5 750 so you could probably push more than that, just check your VRM temps not going over 90c.

Edit: following my testing, I found out:

1v is no go for my i5 750@150BCLK
1.10v is fine now, and with both GPU and CPU being stressed I'm pushing 280w which is finally safe for my PSU. Temps dropped a few degrees to which is always good.

Last edited:
Is it ok to flash the BIOS via USB stick, even though that's recommended for a Vista OS? They said to use EZ Flash on W7, but I'm a little worried about that, as I've read so many on here that have bricked their board using that method.

I know this is a bit of a longshot but maybe someone on here knows what's what. Does the eSATA port on this board support port-multiplier technology? If it doesn't, then I don't want this board. But if it does, it'd work out great for me. The fact that there's only 3 SATA ports on board would sort of be a deal breaker.

Thanks

I can se at the dfi home page that, Intel Core i5-680 32nm is supported. it really would be a great m-itx cpu, and a say 4,3-4,5 24/7 overclock sholuld be in range. at litte heat.

For my USB dongle, I had the same issues as everybody else. The trick that worked for me, was using "Device manager", and manually installing VISTA x64 drivers on my Windows 7 64 bit machine.

Now it works like a charm :)

was wondering if it's safe to buy this motherboard.. from briefly looking through this thread seems like there a bit of hassle that comes with this motherboard. do you still need a PS/2 keyboard to get the bios? is the bios still crap? heatsink backplate mounting issues? wifi...

I never used a PS/2 kb on mine, the HS backplate is no big deal. WiFI...never uses it on this board

it's not available on the egg... hmm... i suppose dfi isn't gunna support this board as lanparty series is going under... this is the only board i like compared to the h55s & h57s.. they put the damn cpu socket so close to the pci-e slot..

Last edited:
ok soo.. newegg use to have these boards for 129.99... and now they dont sell em.. best thing i could do was get it from ewiz.. for 139.99.. luckily found a 15% off coupon (max 15$) to take it down to 124.99 :D

i've been waiting too long to do a mini itx build...i hope this board is worth every penny

ok soo.. newegg use to have these boards for 129.99... and now they dont sell em.. best thing i could do was get it from ewiz.. for 139.99.. luckily found a 15% off coupon (max 15$) to take it down to 124.99 :D

i've been waiting too long to do a mini itx build...i hope this board is worth every penny

For ITX from DFI is still probably the best album, of course, there are other pieces of chipsets H55, H57 from Gigabyte,Zotac, ECS, Intel, but unfortunately it is all resolved socket, just above the PCIe-X, so it complicates the selection of cooler, if it straight H50 no award, the next thing is that the DFI Lan Party ends, the question is what happens when you leave a board you need a claim that was then still a lot to complain, these boards are made very small quantities, it is only a marginal production this company.

DFI has reported before that it has a EOL stock.. so.. even if resellers dont sell anymore they have more boards to replace.. should get some years worth.. and by that time perhaps a better board comes out..

I wonder if we'll be seeing more P55 boards. Are there many real benefits (performance-wise) to P55 versus H55? I'm thinking probably not but does anyone have any quick knowledge on it?

I wonder if we'll be seeing more P55 boards. Are there many real benefits (performance-wise) to P55 versus H55? I'm thinking probably not but does anyone have any quick knowledge on it?

I doubt there will be any P55 mini-itx boards coming out soon. The H55 offers everything the P55's do with the added feature of supporting the Ci3/Ci5 internal GPUs. I wanted the DFI one but decided against it since they're getting out of the consumer board business. I'm gonna go for the H55N instead and find a way to make an AXP-140 cooler fit along with a video card. According to my measurements I have like 1 mm to spare.

Last edited:
hmm not sure if i want to overclock on this board or not... so now i dont know what cpu i want or memory. all i know is prolly gunna use some g.skill eco ram paired with a i7 or i5.. decisions decisions :eek:

If anyone is looking for the DFI board, I'm running one right now and might be convinced to sell it. Thing runs great and still has the BIOS with over/underclocking enabled. Undervolted and overclocked xeon x3440 :)

I need to hook up more monitors, so I'll be moving to a matx board myself.

er, posted in FS/FT

:)

Last edited:
If anyone is looking for the DFI board, I'm running one right now and might be convinced to sell it. Thing runs great and still has the BIOS with over/underclocking enabled. Undervolted and overclocked xeon x3440 :)

I need to hook up more monitors, so I'll be moving to a matx board myself.

er, posted in FS/FT

:)

Hi, I would ask, what is the ceiling for your DFI for BCLK? I've got newer, and it goes only to 150 with BCLK i7 CPU, can I ask you to send your BIOS? is it possible?

i'm assuming that dfi remove the bios that didnt have the BCLK cap on it.. you should send that bios to some of us :D

i5 750, the BIOS caps BCLK at 150 for the i7s and is a good cap as the power circuitry is not designed to provide the power required to overclock an i7 860 over that limit.

i5 750, the BIOS caps BCLK at 150 for the i7s and is a good cap as the power circuitry is not designed to provide the power required to overclock an i7 860 over that limit.

Yes I read that the producers had to i7 max 150 BCLK to prevent future complaints at high OC, the moment I set BCLK 143 - 3.0GHz, originally I wanted to go to 3.5 GHz but I will not worry about DFI, just wondering if anyone the user has one of the BIOS (for example, the end of November 2009), yet not limited BCLK

i wont get my MI P55-T36 until the end of this week but was wondering.. if i paired this with the i7-875K.. and some DDR3-1600 .. and my h50... what can i hope to see with overclocking.. i dont really want to overclock much... just something moderate as i heard in a lot of cases where this motherboard gets fried when you try pushing the voltages. I only ask because.. it might take a month or so to have this build completed.

i just wish someone would mod a good bios of this board unlocking the voltage , bclk . thus allowing myself and others to use this board at best options . for myself it would be undervolting although thats not such a problem now that i have a full tower heatsink on this i7 860.

Jen

Back