This mobo support Cpu low power?

Intel® Xeon® Processor L3426 45W TDP
Link

Intel® Core™ i7-860S Processor 82W TDP
Link

Intel® Core™ i5-750S Processor 82W TDP
Link

;)

Yeah the Core i5 650 is limited to 150...lame.

@Jen, I can't get the old BIOS...they refuse to give it out.

someone needs to make a copy of this bios and upload it so people like myself can use it

Jen

This mobo support Cpu low power?
As far as I can tell, all those CPUs work at the same voltages than "non-S" parts.

Intel fiddled with the CPU speed and Turbo feature (low power parts can only have Turbo enabled when one or two cores are active, not all four as the regular parts) instead of the voltage (as it was the case of the Q9550S, for example), for these low power CPUs.

So my guess is, since apparently Xeons do work on this board (I remember reading someone asking about it a while back), you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever with using any of those CPUs.

Cheers.

Miguel

Btw Steeeeve, question regarding the dead DFI MI board, does the board still light up the way it should when you turn it on but no POST? just black screen? or there are no lights on it?

Btw Steeeeve, question regarding the dead DFI MI board, does the board still light up the way it should when you turn it on but no POST? just black screen? or there are no lights on it?
It still lights up like a Christmas tree for me when you turn the power on. When my board died it wouldn't even do more than flash an error number for a millisecond...but those lights were on!

I flashed to the beta bios yesterday and with ezflash with no problem but when I rebooted the post told me something about bad nvram or something like that and that it needed to load default values. Results: It gave me BSOD when loading windows.

I checked the bios this morning to find out that it resetted it completely and since I was using a SSD in AHCI mode that the BSOD was caused by the bios being resetted to IDE mode.

So now I can boot in windows but weird thing is that I lost my usb mouse and keyboard. It happened to me the last time I flashed the bios and I resolved it but I don't remember how I did it. Anyone had this problem too?

Edit: I think I found the problem. USB Legacy needs to be in auto mode and was in enabled. Weird

Last edited:
^^ The bios is very screwy.. It doesn't always save and some unrelated settings like to reset themselves after you fiddle in the bios..

I'm having a new strange problem where the machine will crash in windows bootup until the system is warm.. then it's rock stable usually after I let it sit for 2-3 mins..I'm wondering if it's power supply related because I can't think of anything else..

For what it is worth I had the same issue with wireless USB adapters that other people reported. In this case with a D-Link DW-140 which had worked fine in all my other Windows 7x64 boxes. On my machine with this board it would cause freezing that would persist until the adapter was unplugged and the drivers would just not install.

I updated the USB controller drivers with the latest Intel INF from here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=816&DwnldID=18494&lang=eng

And everything started working normally.

Had not had this issue with several other machines with Win 7 x64 so there is something peculiar about this board but in my case completely fixable :)

Definitely something wonky with the USB on this board. I still get the occasional USB WLAN issue and problems with my Logitech DiNovo edge that have not been issues on other Win7 systems.

My config is:

P55-T36 w/ latest beta bios
i7 860
4gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz

Yet when I set my memory to 1600Mhz in the BIOS the moment I hit F10 and select save the system will power off and refuse to post unless I clear the CMOS.

Same issue occurs if I select the memory's XMP profile.

Very weird behaviour. 1600mhz with this setup should be support right?

Yet when I set my memory to 1600Mhz in the BIOS the moment I hit F10 and select save the system will power off and refuse to post unless I clear the CMOS.

I had the same issue setting it up. I don't remember if I'm actually running at 1600MHz right now or if I gave up. I am using the G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) kit though, not the Corsair, so it's not just you!

Also, did anyone install the Creative X-Fi CD? After installing it I was getting random hard lockups, uninstalled it, and they went away. Now I know Creative is notorious for their horrendous drivers, but I have been unable to find any confirmation of conflict with Win7 x64.

(My config: P55-T36 w/ latest stable BIOS | i5 750 | 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz | ATI 5770 | Sugo SG06)

EDIT: My memory is in fact running at 1333MHz, never could get it running at 1600MHz. Will try upgrading to the latest beta BIOS per Steeeeve's suggestion. Also, reinstalled the Creative X-Fi with the latest (2 day old) Realtek drivers and all seems to be working now!

Last edited:
Definitely something wonky with the USB on this board. I still get the occasional USB WLAN issue and problems with my Logitech DiNovo edge that have not been issues on other Win7 systems.

My config is:

P55-T36 w/ latest beta bios
i7 860
4gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz

Have you updated to the latest BIOS? Should like 2/xx bios I think.

Have you updated to the latest BIOS? Should like 2/xx bios I think.

Yep, I installed the latest beta BIOS. The date for it is 2010-02-05. Have you been able to set yours to 1600 Steve?

Milas, when you say you cannot get the memory running at 1600 on your board do you mean that you were encountering the same result I was with the powering off the moment the settings are applied?

Yep, I installed the latest beta BIOS. The date for it is 2010-02-05. Have you been able to set yours to 1600 Steve?

Milas, when you say you cannot get the memory running at 1600 on your board do you mean that you were encountering the same result I was with the powering off the moment the settings are applied?
yeah, I did it on the Core i5. Did you increase the RAM voltage at all?

Yeah the SPD sets the voltage to 1.5 but according to the memory specs it should be 1.65.

I set it to 1.65v manually, although in retrospect I wonder if I have been rebooting between those changes. I will double check when I get home and set it to 1.65, save, reboot and then set it to 1600 could be the issue although I am pretty sure I was rebooting between before.

As a side note, shouldn't be a PSU issue with my setup as I am running everything outside of the case with a PC Power and Cooling 750w.

Good grief...get the low voltage GSkill ram! I'm running 1600 at 1.35..well, 1.4 since you can't do 1.35 on the board.

Ummm, it should work, I don't think their is any compatibility problem. Have you used it on other P55 boards?

Thoroughly pissed off. My USB Wifi has stopped working.

I built my SG05 just over a month ago now with P55-T36, i5 750, x4770 and so on... at the same time I ordered an Edimax mini wireless-n usb knowing fine that some users of this board have had problems with any usb wifi. Installed W7 x64 on it and connected the Edimax, it detected, installed its drivers first time and has been working day in day out perfectly. Until today.

Last night I took the amazing little case round to a friends (which i have done several times), but this morning I connected it all up again and W7 wouldnt boot; it would hang on the loading logo. Safe mode booted fine but the Edimax shows as "disabled" and enabling it does nothing. Disconnected it, restarted and it loaded windows fine. Connected it and again it shows as disabled and enabling has no effect. I tried to uninstall the drivers except they wont, the progress bar sits indefinately doing nothing until i disconnect it. When I reconnect it says "installing drivers"... but after ten minutes it still hasnt.

I tried a system restore, I've tried the INF USB update someone suggested, I've upgraded the bios to the latest and its all still the same. I reinstalled windows and still no joy. Why the hell has this happened after a month of working perfectly? I dont understand it. What a waste of a sunday afternoon.

Last edited:
Mine's dead this morning. No warnings, nothing. Just spins up the fans but nothing happens.

After my X48 debacle a couple of years back i'm not buying DFI again. They seem to just not bother with quality control at all.

I'm going to put in an order for either the Xotac H55 or Intel H57 in a bit, and this POS can go back for refund.

well chances are you won't be handling the board as much as I do to mess it up but for the people that replace heatsinks often or are a little less than careful it does matter. The supplied foam make it so you will have a harder time getting the backplate off. I think a lot of people opt not to have it. I If you do use the foam you still end up hitting the same piece but it's like having an airbag making it possible it doesn't rub as much depending on how much you tighten the screws. The foam on the other side will cover some mosfets which I think is not a wise move since you are basically insulating them if you do that. However it most likely won't hurt.

In any event, I haven't hurt reports of many people damaging their board other than me. One person already figured it out and cut down the backplate. Another said it is sitting on the piece but fine. Just an advisory; something to look out for. Thanks for the input, I'll add something about the foam.

Is it only my mobo, or did you find that backplate frame of that H50 doesnt align perfectly? Wehn I align all 4 holes of all triple-hole corners with mobo holes then the whole frame lays uneven....
Is that normal?

Thoroughly pissed off. My USB Wifi has stopped working.

Mirrors my experience.

The USB WiFi didn't work at first would cause the system to hang. Updated the INF, it installed new USB drivers and everything worked fine for a day and then the problem reappeared and I have not been able to fix it since.

Now like many others, I have an ethernet cable inconveniently run across the room.

Is it only my mobo, or did you find that backplate frame of that H50 doesnt align perfectly? Wehn I align all 4 holes of all triple-hole corners with mobo holes then the whole frame lays uneven....
Is that normal?
See www.sffclub.com advisory on this.

You know, the website is more helpful than ya think ;)

Ok after some months I can give the conclusion on this board

1. It overclocked is limited by it's PWMs, there are some voltera PWMs that i read could solve the issues, maybe digital PWMs too, would be a sweet rev. 2

2. There are the aforemetioned issues with the H50, that is due some mosfets on the underside

3. S3 sleep does not work at all If you overclock to 150BCLK or more. it goes to sleep just fine but will eventually get caught on a scary reboot loop. You've got to turn off the PSU to get out of the loop. Anandtech reported it but I haven't seen any workarounds. Now I use S4 hibernation because S1 does not turn of the GPU fans, it actually ramps them up to 100% so it's louder at sleep that off...duh

Otherwise a very good board, far better than my Intel DP55KG desktop board at the work.

Edit: it would be very helpful if someone could confirm the S3 issue please. I just upgraded to the latest BIOS beta and the issue persists.

Ok after some months I can give the conclusion on this board

1. It overclocked is limited by it's PWMs, there are some voltera PWMs that i read could solve the issues, maybe digital PWMs too, would be a sweet rev. 2

2. There are the aforemetioned issues with the H50, that is due some mosfets on the underside

3. S3 sleep does not work at all If you overclock to 150BCLK or more. it goes to sleep just fine but will eventually get caught on a scary reboot loop. You've got to turn off the PSU to get out of the loop. Anandtech reported it but I haven't seen any workarounds. Now I use S4 hibernation because S1 does not turn of the GPU fans, it actually ramps them up to 100% so it's louder at sleep that off...duh

Otherwise a very good board, far better than my Intel DP55KG desktop board at the work.

Edit: it would be very helpful if someone could confirm the S3 issue please. I just upgraded to the latest BIOS beta and the issue persists.

I use the H50 too in a SG06, but didn't seem to have a problem, yet. I didn't screw down the bolts with a screwdriver, but rather with just a bit and my fingers, so that might have helped. I never tighten with screw drivers. You tend to over tighten with them.
I run an i750 at default voltages, didn't touch any of the mobo voltages, 160blk, and suspend works fine. My ram is set to 960mhz and undervolted to 1.4v. All power saving features for the CPU turned on. There's no performance differences that I can tell (I've had too many ddr2 dying at default voltages after just 1yr). I suspend it everynight, only rebooting for updates.
I do have a small fan blowing on the pwms though. In hwmonitor, the pwm temp is the 2nd number on the 2nd list, I believe. It should matchs up with the provided DFI app. At idle I get around 5c higher than the ambient temp reading, which if I remember correctly, is the number just below it. Load with prime95 I get ~70-80c.
The fancontrol in bios for the pwm is based on that reading. I think I have it set to 20/30/4, which seems to max the fan at around 60c.
I haven't totally finished with modding this mobo yet. I plan to take it back apart and cut some aluminum heatsinks to fit on the pwms. I remember there's 2 on the bottom as well.

I use the H50 too in a SG06, but didn't seem to have a problem, yet. I didn't screw down the bolts with a screwdriver, but rather with just a bit and my fingers, so that might have helped. I never tighten with screw drivers. You tend to over tighten with them.
I run an i750 at default voltages, didn't touch any of the mobo voltages, 160blk, and suspend works fine. My ram is set to 960mhz and undervolted to 1.4v. All power saving features for the CPU turned on. There's no performance differences that I can tell (I've had too many ddr2 dying at default voltages after just 1yr). I suspend it everynight, only rebooting for updates.
I do have a small fan blowing on the pwms though. In hwmonitor, the pwm temp is the 2nd number on the 2nd list, I believe. It should matchs up with the provided DFI app. At idle I get around 5c higher than the ambient temp reading, which if I remember correctly, is the number just below it. Load with prime95 I get ~70-80c.
The fancontrol in bios for the pwm is based on that reading. I think I have it set to 20/30/4, which seems to max the fan at around 60c.
I haven't totally finished with modding this mobo yet. I plan to take it back apart and cut some aluminum heatsinks to fit on the pwms. I remember there's 2 on the bottom as well.

Thanks for the feedback, as I said, the problem is with S3 suspend, not with hibernation or S1, but S1 is unusable due to the GPU fan ramping up.

You can verify that on the BIOS

I have a side fan too blowing at the PWMs and temps are not a real issue for me. The only real real problem is the S3 sleep issue.

S4 (hibernation) works as expected.

Thanks for the feedback, as I said, the problem is with S3 suspend, not with hibernation or S1, but S1 is unusable due to the GPU fan ramping up.

You can verify that on the BIOS

I have a side fan too blowing at the PWMs and temps are not a real issue for me. The only real real problem is the S3 sleep issue.

S4 (hibernation) works as expected.

I just checked my BIOS and changed suspend from Auto to S3. Still works fine. Everything powers down, no fan, no hdd activity after about 20seconds, only the blinking light. Powers back up pretty much immediately. Same as before.
I'll suspend it tonight and see if it stays off, but I'm 99% certain I was using S3 when it was set to auto.

Seems fine now....will do testing in the day as I don't want it to be rebooting all night,don't want it to get damaged.

So I updated the BIOS to the beta to see if I could get the memory working at full speed (and I just moved the machine so I am about to start using a USB WiFi adapter and am hoping to have less issues this way.)

I reset all the settings in the BIOS, set the memory settings and great! It booted up fine (and the BIOS reads 4088MB now, not that it really matters).

However, my USB keyboard/mouse don't work, so I can't login to Windows. Someone mentioned a while back that they had this problem after updating the BIOS and it was because USB Legacy was in Enabled and it needed to be in Auto. I've tried it in all three settings (Enabled/Disabled/Auto) and I never get control back. I've tried unplugging and replugging at the login screen to try and get 7 to reinitialize them - nothing.

Any suggestions short of launching an all out Win7 reinstall? (Alkoran, what is your EHCI Passthrough set to?)

What memory speed? I can't select 1600Mhz unless I set BCLK to 1600MHz there si no divider or anything

What memory speed? I can't select 1600Mhz unless I set BCLK to 1600MHz there si no divider or anything

I actually just chose XMP Profile 1. Since I don't have mouse or keyboard, I haven't been able to verify that it's running at 1600 MHz in CPU-Z or something similar. Maybe I'll try bumping it back to Auto and see if I regain USB functions...

There is a DRAM frequency in the same page as the BCLK settings and where you select the XMP profiles, I had some issues at 1600Mhz 160BCLK @ 1.18v, would prime fine for 24 hours but would give bsods using XMBC :s

what cpu coolers are people using with this? scythe big seems a safe bet?

What sort of ram clearence does it give (what fits? Ripjaws/dominators lol?)

what cpu coolers are people using with this? scythe big seems a safe bet?

What sort of ram clearence does it give (what fits? Ripjaws/dominators lol?)

scythe requires low profile memory or xms3 will work but not ripjaws or any other that has tall heatsinks on memory .

for heatsinks depends what case you use that makes decision what is best .

Jen

I use a Corsair H50, it's great 26c idle right now!! (my C2D e8400 idles at 36c in the same room!! and it's watercooled too, of course it shares a loop with 2 8800GTX but still)

Sorry! Really should have put some more info, looking at a lian li q08 when its out, and nothing untill then (open air)

Looking at the scythe big shuriken,
found some good ram too (gskill eco's so they will fit)

It'll be sat on a clocked i7 680 aswell. Next to a gtx 280.

Sorry! Really should have put some more info, looking at a lian li q08 when its out, and nothing untill then (open air)

Looking at the scythe big shuriken,
found some good ram too (gskill eco's so they will fit)

It'll be sat on a clocked i7 680 aswell. Next to a gtx 280.

i tried a big shuriken with a i7 860 and temps were way to high for me maybe a gemini s or something other be better

Jen

geminii s looks to perform well, but its quite tall? 90mm's ish plus a fan?
(ill do some maths on the q08 in a sec.)

If so, I'd be stuck when I do get the case

On the SG05 you need to get an slim 120mm fan to use the GeminII S should be quite similar since the Lian LI is taller but uses an ATX psu.

little bit of early morning (well, way too late) pondering:

227 - 86mm(psu) = 141 mm ish? Take out space for other side of the psu aswel, and motherboard... so guestimate 100 to 135
Althought looking at the pics on lianli's website, the psu sits flush to the top of the gfx card? Can't judge it.

so, if im anywhere near right ? itll be 100+ though. I'm going to bed :D

Back