Network pics thread

wow is that a 110 block > CAT5 patch cord? that's pretty neat, never seen one of those
Our old phone system (Comdial Impact PBX) was all wired with Cat 5. The system was installed using this same setup so that if someone moved desks then their extension could easily follow them without having to repatch from a 66 block. That was practically the only piece of the system that we never had a single problem with. But yea...it is neat if overly expensive and VERY outdated.

Haven't posted in a while, recently upgraded my setup to:

2 x HP A5800-24G's in an IRF stack (so logically appear as a single switch with 2 x 10Gb of inter-connectivity between them)
1 x Mikrotik CCR-1009-8G-1S-1S+ which has 10Gb of connectivity back to the HP 5800 IRF stack
1 x Fujitsu RX200 S5 with 32Gb Ram, 2 x Xeon E5520's @ 2.27Ghz, 1 x Intel X520-DA1 with 10Gb of connectivity to the 5800 stack (server not in the picture)

The CCR and 5800 stack run OSPF/BGP/MPLS and use VPLS's to carry layer 2 traffic between them and the hypervisors and also allows me to fail over links to take them down if I need to at any point.

The switch at the bottom of the rack is a HP 4800G (doesn't support MPLS) which has 10Gb back to the IRF stack, but I don't use it currently.

I also have a Synology DS415+ NAS, and 3 other hypervisors that have 2 x 1Gb LACP LAG's back to the IRF stack. (the Synology is used for storage of the virtual machines)
Each 2 x 1Gb LAG has a single 1Gb port to each switch in the IRF so in theory if 1 switch dies, the other becomes the master switch and connectivity stays up.

The Mikrotik is used to firewall traffic between different subnets and also NAT traffic out onto 1 of 3 of my internet connections (2 x 40Mb/10Mb connections, and a failover 3G dongle in case both of those fail)

All the hypervisors run Centos 7 and KVM and have a mirrored networking and storage setup (so I can shutdown a VM on one hypervisor and simply start it up on the other)

IMG_20170824_212326.jpg

image4.jpeg
image3.jpeg

this one is up next. yes, he used zip ties on the rack mounts instead of mounting it to the rack. should this be in the ghetto mods thread?

Does RF count as networking? :p Installed an ADS-B receiver base station a bit less than a year ago. Has a solid uptime since the day it was installed.

The antenna should be outside as it's better to have line of sight, but I figured I'd try the attic as it was winter at the time of install, and given the range I get decided to leave it there.

lrg-3671-flightawaremap.jpg

Screenshot of interface.

lrg-3664-DSC_3187__1_.jpg

Stuff out of the box. I had originally tested it with the small desk antenna that is supplied and was picking up decent stuff even with that.

lrg-3667-dsc_3189.jpg

Don't turn it on, take it appaaaaart! I did not want or really need to go any further than that, but basically it's a Raspberry PI and the LCD module just plugs into the header pins. Then there is the radio module that is USB.

lrg-3669-dsc_3193.jpg

Antenna on stand ready to go in attic,

lrg-3666-dsc_3194.jpg

lrg-3665-dsc_3197.jpg

Installed.

lrg-3670-dsc_3199.jpg

While I'm here, I got rid of a mouse that was in the traps. That setup alerts me if a trap goes off and there had been one in there for a while that I just never bothered to go up for.

lrg-3668-dsc_3200.jpg

The unit setup in my server rack: (pulled it out to show)

This setup was free from Flightaware. I'm also feeding to adsbexchange.com and I'm basically the only one feeding for northern Ontario so that's kinda cool to know.

That flight aware stuff is really cool! I just submitted to see if I can set one up where I live!

wow is that a 110 block > CAT5 patch cord? that's pretty neat, never seen one of those

Quoting a super old post, but I had these as well at one of my places. They were neat, but also kind of a PITA. The ones I had fit so snugly that I would never remove the 110 block side as half the time it would pull the block apart. The main advantage was that you have the RJ45 end which was easy enough to move around on your patch panel side.

I think these were really just a conversion cable for the time period to bridge the gap between old and new. Once everyone started running Cat5 for networking, this was the easiest premade way to bridge the gap. If you just had RJ11 wall jacks, you probably had them terminated to a 66 block or 110 block. So you just threw a little jumper wire between the two blocks you had and the phone was light up. The thing you can't see though is that the 110 block for this setup is specifically punched down to use those adapters. A 110 block is setup in pairs of 5. So the top row is 25 pairs long. With a normal setup you'd have 25 phones across that top row. Those adapter modules only have blades in them for 4 pairs, but in reality you're only using the first pair of the 5 as that is the "blue" pair. So whoever wired up that 110 block only punched down 1 pair every 5 slots, so 1,6,11,16,and 21 were the only slots used on that first row. So you only get 5 connections per row, making a 100 pair 110 block only supporting 20 pairs total.

The cables are the clean and neat looking way to do it, and while the cable does have 4 blades and 4 pairs of wires in it to properly mate to the RJ45 connector, you were really only using the blue pair so that the first pair on the 110 block lines up to pins 4 and 5 on the RJ45. So you can probably guess there is more than one way to do this. When I ran out of those custom cables I'd just take a regular cat5 cable, and cut off all the other pairs and punch down the blue pair on the 110 block, and then just have a regular RJ45 on the other end. The most ghetto way to do it that I've seen is just take your twisted pair wire spool that you normally use for jumpers, and then punch down the 110 block side like normal, but use that wire to put the pair into an RJ45 so you can plug it into your patch panel. It's probably the most cost effective way to do it, but isn't really the prettiest as RJ45s with unsheathed twisted pair looks odd. It's still more manageable and cleaner though than what I know other people have done. Ultra ghetto is pulling the blue pair off the back of the patch panel and connecting that to your jumper, so you can still use the port for your computer in 100mbit mode.

I finally organized all of my kit into a single cabinet in my garage (most pics are linkable to very large version).

First, the crappy attempt at a panoramic shot to capture the whole cabinet:
Tall_s.jpg

Top of cabinet:

TopofCab_s.jpg

Bottom of cabinet. Mind the gaps between the 4U enclosures. I bought some inexpensive aftermarket rack shelves and they hung slightly below the U point, so I had to rack the enclosures slightly off to allow for this. Wasted a U! :argh:

BottomofCab_s.jpg

Now with 100% more dark!

TopofCabindark_s.jpg

BottomofCabinDark_s.jpg

Video clips of blinking lights here and here.

And a rack schematic:

schematic.png

switch1
Dell PowerConnect 6248

switch3
Fujitsu XG2000 10Gig switch

DC1
Supermicro D525 Atom
120GB SSD
4GB RAM

Tape
Dell PowerVault 114T
2x LTO-3 drives

FW2
Sonicwall Pro 2040

FW1
Sonicwall NSA 4500

ESX1
ESX2
ESX3

Supermicro H8SGL-F motherboard
Opteron 6128 8 cores @ 2 GHz
32GB PC1333 RAM
Mellanox ConnectX 10g HBA

DB1 (primary database server)
HP ProLiant DL180 G6
2x Xeon E5620 4 cores @ 2.4GHz each
48GB Registered ECC PC1333 RAM
2x P410 RAID controller with 1GB flash-backed RAM
2x 146GB SCSI HD (RAID-1)
6x 300GB SCSI HD (RAID-10)
Mellanox ConnectX 10g HBA

DB2 (analysis and reporting server)
HP ProLiant DL120 G6
1x Xeon E5260 4 cores @ 2.4 GHz
16GB Registered ECC PC1333 RAM
P210 RAID Controller with 512mb batter-backed RAM

KVM
TrendNET 8-port KVM

Monitor
1U Dell Monitor / Keyboard / Touchpad combo

Regina (file server)
32GB PC1333 RAM
256GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD
2x P410 RAID controller with 1GB flash-backed RAM
16 x 2TB WD Black SATA HDD (2 RAID-6 arrays)

Util1 (backup server and AWS storage gateway server)
32GB PC1333 RAM
256GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD
P410 RAID controller with 512 battery-backed RAM
4x 4TB WD Red SATA drives in RAID-5
Adaptec 29120 SCSI HBA
cabled to 114T tape unit higher up

SAN1 (FreeNAS iSCSI SAN)
Supermicro X8DTE-F motherboard
2x Xeon E5620 4 cores @ 2.4GHz each
48GB Registered ECC PC1333 RAM
IBM M1015 HBA (Flashed to LSI 9240-IT mode)
8x 256GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD (ask me about getting 150,000 read IOPS!)
Mellanox ConnectX 10gig HBA

FAH1 (Folding@home PC)
MSI NF980-G65 motherboard
AMD Athlon II X4 Processor @ 3GHz
2x nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 GPU (570,000 PPD)
120GB Samsung EVO 630 SSD

UPS3
APC Smart-UPS 1000 RM

UPS2
APC Smart-UPS 1000 RM

UPS1
Smart-UPS 1500 RM
APC Temperature / Humidity sensor

Last edited:
Finally got around to re-cabling some of my rack for now. need to save up for new network cables. would eventually like to color-code everything.

So I have a 3com 4500G gigabit switch. got a great deal on it a few years ago. only thing is I dont think the SFP ports work, or I have the wrong modules for them. sucks Id like to use fiber with my server.

Pictured server is a Dell T110. Quad core xeon 16gb ddr3 ram 2x 120gb ssd. Runs server 2008 R2 w/ vmware workstation. (Bought this to make a low power usage server that I can leave on all day and not go broke)

Under that I have a Synology DS218+ w/ 2x 4tb Seagate ironwolf drives in a raid 0 array. Next to it is my Areca 5040 raid array. thats got 4x1tb drives and 4x 2tb drives. Basically it just plugs into the synology and backs it up weekly.

(Not pictured is my other rack. Not much in it atm, just my DL380 G6. 2x 6core xeons 12/thread so 24 virtual cores, 32 gb of ram, multiple sas disks (Idk what size) it just sits mostly. the T110 replaced it for daily use to cut down on power heat and noise.

IMG-0752.JPG

Reactions: rma
like this
Images not showing?

Good catch.

Apparently when I copied from GenMay it took the URL and didn't re-upload the images here... That's a dumb thing for copy/paste to do...

At any rate, I copied and pasted into MS Paint and then into this thread and it worked... Enjoy!

Thanks guys, I dont like the system thats in my rack, thinking of making my own thats quiet and moves good air.

Some work pics from today. Just a small portion of what we did. 62 nodes (12 blocks) in total at this location alone. Another 16 nodes (4 blocks) and 14 servers at another to go.
Front view- lots of nvme (1 of 2 cabinets like this).
43615652854_1a41e49521_c.jpg

What I walked into on the left. What I did on the right, still waiting for twinax to show so I can cable it.
43426855785_539f7ff9ce_c.jpg

Hard to tell, but was the best I could do without removing cables. Compare left side below to left side top. Someone really sucks at cable management.. Cables twisted around other cables... grrr... I'm not expert cable runner, but I think I do alright. I'm hoping the lower left side can breathe a little better at least.
29396358677_3f0d5c979c_c.jpg

Still need to add a permanent (12v) power source and proper on/off switch. Right now it has the sample battery pack and press/hold on button.

37088be9-9466-42fd-9d91-cae17568d732.jpg

So glad I dont have to clean up other peoples work here. We have close to 400 racks across three different cages at this location. I've made new guys pull out all of the cable they ran and start over if it isnt up to snuff.

yeah its a mess of bringing all the cable tv from outside to inside...
home automation is there too...
so 310mhz receiver
433mhz receiver
zwave plus z-net
cctv dvr
4 computers
24port gigabit switch
and much more

all above the sump pump which I just put a watchdog battery backup unit in too.. its on my soon list to cleanup...

Not much but its mine.

TP Link AC-1750 (used as switch and AP)
Arris Modem (forget exact model)

Pfsense Firewall
Dell Vostro Case
HP Pro 3000 Motherboard (G45/43 chipset)
4GBs DDR3
E6600 Pentium (Wolfdate)
2x Realtek Gigabit NICs
160GB Seagate HD

Attachments

• IMG_3182.JPG
    IMG_3182.JPG
    368.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3183.JPG
    IMG_3183.JPG
    491.2 KB · Views: 0
I really need to finish setting up my network. I purchased 500ft of cat6, but haven't had the time to do the runs.

Back