Network pics thread

My early xmas present to myself. I decided I was tired of running my home lab out of my living room. Solution? AIO ESXi+ZFS box colo'd in the racks at work.

F7HBGl.jpg

Hopefully this will be sufficient for now. Built it from spare parts around the office/home.
2x x5650's, 192GB ram, 2x 160gb X25's, 4x 512gb M4's, 6 1.5TB Seagates, LSI HBA's, Supermicro 24 bay JBOD with 24 1.5TB Seagates. Connected via a HP 1910-24 to a ASA5505, backed up by the little Synology DS209 with 2 1.5TB drives. Should be a fun project.

what chassis is that? i havent had enough caffeine and sugar yet....so my brain is having a hard time discerning between Juniper, Cisco Nexus and HP....

edit: nvm, my post was late to the party.

Last edited:

what chassis is that? i havent had enough caffeine and sugar yet....so my brain is having a hard time discerning between Juniper, Cisco Nexus and HP....

edit: nvm, my post was late to the party.

I think its actually the 470, I dont see the core boxes much though, its definately a 4xx series chasis

the optic cost more than both my cars combined :eek:

Had a wreath decorating contest at work. Here is what I made:

0LD7il.jpg

In case you cant read it the cd's say "Happy Holidays" written in keyboard keys.

Should have gone 4500X man.

Agreed 100% for L3. For L2, the Arista 7050T would be great and much cheaper.

That 3560 abomination is 3+ years old -- and assuming cisco marketing math -- runs at 53% line rate with shallow per-port buffers ... disgusting and overpriced compared to other solutions today.

Who can guess what this is? <MX480>

Interesting. We recently passed on 100G and the MX routers for the time being. Although not the same, I think bundled 40G MAN links across DWDM give you a lot better bang for your buck. Also, modern L3 ethernet switches seem to be displacing a lot of chassis routers (if you don't need MPLS, advanced QoS, or internet-sized routing tables). We're looking at the 3548 and 7150 now.

Last edited:
Interesting. We recently passed on 100G and the MX routers for the time being. Although not the same, I think bundled 40G MAN links across DWDM give you a lot better bang for your buck. Also, modern L3 ethernet switches seem to be displacing a lot of chassis routers (if you don't need MPLS, advanced QoS, or internet-sized routing tables). We're looking at the 3548 and 7150 now.

How do you like the 3548 so far?

we might be moving to MPLS across our core, and we need internet sized routing tables :)

The 100GB link is going to be shooting about 120 miles. Bang for buck is for sure 40G, but when you are low on fiber and more pairs are cost millions, 100G is where its at :D

Malibu Barbie Data Center anyone?

x_cb242-5pk_72dpi_zps5bd4e1ca.jpg

All of the patch cables in my closets are color coded based on what is on the other end. Pink for example is used for all network based printers across campus :p

It makes identifying what goes where trivial.

All of the patch cables in my closets are color coded based on what is on the other end. Pink for example is used for all network based printers across campus :p

It makes identifying what goes where trivial.

We tried to do that for awhile but a few guys who are no longer with us destroyed the standard. Luckily we are refreshing data closets so I'll have a chance right the ship.

548798_4171933936489_1550491366_n.jpg

Tada!

Dell PowerConnect 5348
Cisco 3750-48PS
2x Norco RPC4224 Total 63TB Usable Space and 6TB iSCSI Setup

4x Cisco AP1242G APs
2x Cisco AP1231G APs

Currently on the hunt for a cheap Cisco WLC

A Bunch of Control4 Gear (As I do Automation)

Tada!

Dell PowerConnect 5348
Cisco 3750-48PS
2x Norco RPC4224 Total 63TB Usable Space and 6TB iSCSI Setup

4x Cisco AP1242G APs
2x Cisco AP1231G APs

Currently on the hunt for a cheap Cisco WLC

A Bunch of Control4 Gear (As I do Automation)

Hard to tell, but it looks like you have an HC1000? Maybe the newer 800 as well? and an audio matrix switch? Need something less blurry ^^ Love the automation gear though... I'll be posting my pics soon when i get things organized

Do you have any custom action suggestions? How many devices are you scanning? How much hardware are you throwing at it? Ours is virtualized on XenServer.

An ours just scans.. We also use it for remote control because the consultants who have kaseya installed on everything is sooooooo unbearable to use we don't. I think we have somewhere around 600 devices scanned

A we have it on a vm in VMware.. Server 2008 32 with 1 proc and 4gb of ram.. The database runs on a separate ms SQL 2008 box which houses a few databases like VMware password state etc

Back