Network pics thread

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
MEH i was there to replace the router, i did convince the store manager to store use a UPS so they don't kill any more gear and loos tens of thousands of $$ again ! LOL !
Well I did say at least :p

A UPS is indeed better :cool:

I should have taken some "finished" pics, but here are a few in progress pics of my recent colo buildout.

SRX240's in HA
HP ZL chassis w/ 10Gb blades
3x Dell R620's
Dell EQL PS6510x (48x900GB 10k SAS)

vVp34l.jpg

qGNStl.jpg

PDKJYl.jpg

Nice. The "nicest" box I've put in recently has 8 900GB disks. (and a crappy SAS controller that maxes out at about 240MB/S)

Look what walked into my office today!
Too bad I don't have any SFP modules for them. :(
Debating whether to start hunting.

eKT1E.jpg

Got a parcel in the post yesterday, it was my new-ish server.
It's a Dell Poweredge 1950, the one with the 4 2.5" drive bays in the front. Didn't come with any hard drives in it, so am going to buy a few 500GB's from Amazon and put them into RAID. As for OS I was thinking of hijacking the SATA port on the mobo and sticking an SSD on there. It's going to be used for messing around with VM's n stuff.
2012-12-05170952_zps06e4a46a.jpg

Specs -
Capture22.png

Updated picture from home...

<pic>

whats your run time on that APC setup? whats your total VAs with all the battery packs?

Also...appears you edited/hid something beside the cisco SMB router...

whats your run time on that APC setup? whats your total VAs with all the battery packs?

Also...appears you edited/hid something beside the cisco SMB router...

I get about 3-4 hours out of that. It's a 3000VA UPS.

You're right, I did hide something.

curiosity abounds!! is it the lost dead sea scrolls? a previously unseen by modern eyes Mayan calendar that extends beyond 12.21.2012!?!?1

WHATTTT ISSSSS ITTTTTT?

:p

XL5, a link to some more pictures would be nice, that is a damn fine rack you got there ;)

Seconding this. That rack is art.

It makes me want to rip out my installation and start all over again. :D

Seriously, even on the open space in U22-25 you can see the cables neatly velcro-ed off and tightly bundled.

I must see more!

Wow that's awesome! What did you use for the LEDs on top, is it Christmas lights? I've been kinda brainstorming what I want to do with my rack as far as an enclosure/surrounding is and I was thinking some kind of LED lighting would be awesome.

There will be more photos and words and things very soon... What does everyone want to see?

Last edited:
There will be more photos and words and things very soon... What does everyone want to see?

that's like asking me if i want cornbread or rolls....the answer is always "yes..."

i love seeing anything someone else has to offer, if only to see different ideas for doing things.

as many pictures of the rack the gear and cabling as we can get you to take, also would be nice to see ur home office space.

You'll get more rack pictures as soon as I get around do it. Bear with me, I'm working on Uni assignments at the moment so I'm kinda busy. In the meantime, here's my desk.

desk.jpg

It's an amplifier for the speakers up on the wall. Better sound than modern digital shit.

Indeed, one of Technics "New Class A" amplifiers/receivers.

I still have, and use, a Technics SU V6 "New Class A" Amp. Love the sound.

Even some of the high end stuff these days doesn`t sound `right` Bring back Vinyl!:D

Maybe this should go in the "Networking Nightmares" thread, but I just opened a 1000' box of Cat5e and was greeted by this.
No possible way this could slow me down or cause any headaches.
:rolleyes:

whitewires-a.jpg

Orange stripe, green stripe, brown stripe, blue stripe. Right.

whitewires-b.jpg

Did a complete office server replacement a couple weeks ago so I get to take a bunch of old hardware here is a list of what I'm taking:

Dell 42U Server cabinet
Dell PowerEdge180AS
Dell PowerEdge Rack Console 15FP
Dell PowerEdge 2950
2x Dell MD1000i (totalling about 20x 300GB 15k SAS drives)
2x IBM x346
IBM x3650
Juniper NetScreen 25
Cisco 4503 (there are 3 or so of these I can take)
Cisco 4506
7 or 8 BNIB 300GB U320 SCSI drives
As many rackmount APC 1500/2000 VA UPS' as I want to walk out the door with

All the servers and DAS' have had their warranties extended for an extra year

Last edited:
Did a complete office server replacement a couple weeks ago so I get to take a bunch of old hardware here is a list of what I'm taking:

Dell 42U Server cabinet
Dell PowerEdge180AS
Dell PowerEdge 2950
2x IBM x346
IBM x3650
Juniper NetScreen 25
Cisco 4506

Dude! That's a score!

Yes, but when you untwist them to terminate the cable, it is extremely easy to mix them up.

Get better connectors :cool:

The Telegaertner Cat6 I used recently are quite nice. These have a little 'cable organizer', so you put in the wires, and then, if all wires are in place, you cut down the wires and put it into the connector for crimping.
Nice stuff, imho.

Dell 42U Server cabinet
Dell PowerEdge180AS
Dell PowerEdge 2950
2x IBM x346
IBM x3650
Juniper NetScreen 25
Cisco 4506

some nice stuff, but hydro is gunna kill you. Those MDi's are LOUD and make SHIT load of heat :)

sweet score on goodies tho !

definitely a sweet score, but id be like me, i use mine now and then, not powered on all the time.

I plan on running the 2950 and one of the DAS' all the time to host my media and powering on the rest when I want to play around with VM clustering

The Telegaertner Cat6 I used recently are quite nice. These have a little 'cable organizer', so you put in the wires, and then, if all wires are in place, you cut down the wires and put it into the connector for crimping.
Nice stuff, imho.

Do you have a link to the specific part you're using?

Maybe this should go in the "Networking Nightmares" thread, but I just opened a 1000' box of Cat5e and was greeted by this.
No possible way this could slow me down or cause any headaches.
:rolleyes:

What kind of crimpers are you using? They look really nice.

Back