Network pics thread

your room must get so warm!
There is a 10000BTU AC unit in the corner of the room to make sure that it doesn't get too hot (and of course the central AC).
Jeebuz, I'd hate to see what your power bill looks like. You keep all that powered on all the time??
It's pretty bad. Record for one month is ~$825 (not quite that bad anymore though). I don't keep everything on however because my circuit breaker can't handle it. I ran out of room on the distribution board and 20A is all I have to keep stuff in this room on (and I trip it frequently even with a lot of stuff off).

Looks like I am getting another Supermicro 4U though. Just bought this: http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/846/SC846E1-R900.cfm

Blue Fox,
I have followed your builds in other threads, but if I may be so bold as to ask, is all that storage for yourself or for other builds? That equates to a tremendous amount of storage capacity!

I am in awe.....simply amazing!

Blue Fox,
I have followed your builds in other threads, but if I may be so bold as to ask, is all that storage for yourself or for other builds? That equates to a tremendous amount of storage capacity!

I think he's a horder LOL! or loves to play with toys learn with them then sell em!

Blue Fox,

The Supermicro 846TQ and 2 x Norco 4020s on top of the rack aren't for me. Everything in the rack is for me, as is the RSA box on top. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the Supermicro 216E1 or Supermicro 846E1 though. The two red appliances are probably going to go into storage. SANs I want to get rid of as they're just looking pretty and not doing a whole lot. One should be going into colocation though.
I think he's a horder LOL! or loves to play with toys learn with them then sell em!
It's a nice hobby. :p You're pretty spot on for the most part though. I still have a few interesting things in my storage unit that I haven't posted on here too (and a couple toys in the datacenter in downtown).

Here is my current logical:

networkwebready.png

I have about had it with consumer products, I am flushing them out of my network. I am looking on picking up a 1131 WAP, prob going to use a POE injector and mount it in a central location. They have great reception.

The cats are not allowed in the office. They like to climb on all the servers in the rack and mess with the wires, it was a PITA.

I bet the server keeps them nice and warm. lol
Mine liked to lay on the top of my old CRT with 1 paw hanging down in front of it. Made playing games interesting sometimes. He didn't like it when I got my LCD's. lol

Tell me about it!!...
compaqkittens01.jpg

Hah..we had one of those R2D2 Proliants...along with a similar sized rack mount puppy...5000 or 6000 I think. Those fat old hot swap drives. Fire those up from a cold boot and the neighborhood lights would dim for a few seconds. :D

I use those cases constantly dashpuppy

I like them, i think ill grab the big brother maybe ( if i can afford it ) for when i build my esxi/hyperv server.

Here is my machine crowded with cables LOL Been surfing craigslist and places to get a rack. Takes time for scores i guess.!

P1040167.JPG

I am very excited, I just picked up a 1131 AP off of ebay. I just need to get a POE injector and run this bad, boy, wooo!

Nice 5k's. Our order was just put in. 2 Nexus 7k's, 2 5k's and 24 2248 fabric extenders. Hello network upgrade. I'll toss up pics as we work.

I am very excited, I just picked up a 1131 AP off of ebay. I just need to get a POE injector and run this bad, boy, wooo!

Nice - how much did you get it for? There was one at my local surplus store last week that some other guy snatched up in the 5 minutes from when the store opened until I got there... got it for $15. I was sad. :(

nexus's are always nice to see :) i posted a pair of 7k's up a few pages back...nice to see others are starting to use them...were up to 2 7k's 4 5k's a few dozen 2248's a few 2232's (10 gig fex) and we just signed a new contract with vmware for enterprise + 1000v so there will be a BIG 1000v roll out coming, probably about 500vm servers or so, so far

Nice, what are you using those for? Are those cables the copper ones with the SFP built into them?

It's for our virtual environment, all converged on 10GbE. The cables are the TwinAxe SFP+ Copper cables with built in modules; since everything is living within the rack it is much cheaper to go this route. We will get some optical 10Gb SFP SR to link into our 6500 core though.

Just picked up a little wallmount rack on craigslist last night for $20, got everything moved over to it today, for the most part anyway...

IMG_20100923_143209.jpg

IMG_20100923_143225.jpg

Hoping to migrate from the pfsense box onto the 1841 tonight and get that top dell out of the rack, the old 2511 will just be used as an access server for a couple lab routers, the 1841 and the procurve 1810. The other dell 1u unit is kvm.

Oh, and the wireless ap is just hanging there temporarily...

Just picked up a little wallmount rack on craigslist last night for $20, got everything moved over to it today, for the most part anyway...

IMG_20100923_143209.jpg

IMG_20100923_143225.jpg

Hoping to migrate from the pfsense box onto the 1841 tonight and get that top dell out of the rack, the old 2511 will just be used as an access server for a couple lab routers, the 1841 and the procurve 1810. The other dell 1u unit is kvm.

Oh, and the wireless ap is just hanging there temporarily...

Very nice, exactly what i want to do with a rack, what rack is that if you don't mind me asking.

It's for our virtual environment, all converged on 10GbE. The cables are the TwinAxe SFP+ Copper cables with built in modules; since everything is living within the rack it is much cheaper to go this route. We will get some optical 10Gb SFP SR to link into our 6500 core though.

Kewl, so you have the Intel 10G NICs in your hosts plugged into the Nexus with those TwinAxe SFP+ cables then, right? I've been working on a design with those and I was pretty sure that's what I wanted but hadn't bothered checking with Cisco yet. :D

Nice - how much did you get it for? There was one at my local surplus store last week that some other guy snatched up in the 5 minutes from when the store opened until I got there... got it for $15. I was sad. :(

Yea dude with that price I would of ran red lights... lol

I picked up this one for about 150. I really did not want to spend that much, but this thing was new in the box never used so I said fuck it. Plus it is in the original box with all the mounting hardware. I am having problems with my wifi here, and I really do not want to keep running into them.

I figure I will use my tplink POE WAP for the backyard, mount it in the garage or something in case the 1131 cant reach. But I dig the multiple SSIDs to vlans, that was a huge selling point for me. I can finally run one AP and when friends come over, let them use a guest network instead of going onto mine (it will still be secured, but my main network is going to use Radius so its just easier).

I don't feel like spending money on a POE switch so I picked up an injector for 14 bucks.

The 1141s are nice, supporting N, but frankly I don't like the small little LED on it, and I really don't care for N speeds. If I need real speed, I have hardwired jacks for that. When they come out with a super speed that makes G just basically slow, I will look into it.

Kewl, so you have the Intel 10G NICs in your hosts plugged into the Nexus with those TwinAxe SFP+ cables then, right? I've been working on a design with those and I was pretty sure that's what I wanted but hadn't bothered checking with Cisco yet. :D

We are using Qlogic CNAs so if we decide to do FCoE in the future we can just re-flash them. The TwinAxe SFP+ cables plug right into them.

Yup... it came with lightweight installed, so I did the quick 5 minute upload of the most recent IOS. Now I just have to setup my VLANs, mount this and wait for my POE injector.

Yup... it came with lightweight installed, so I did the quick 5 minute upload of the most recent IOS. Now I just have to setup my VLANs, mount this and wait for my POE injector.

1131 is a great investment. I have one at home and love it. Guest Access works great too!

Back