Network pics thread

1131 is a great investment. I have one at home and love it. Guest Access works great too!

Agreed! It also helps me learn the technology for work which is a great step. Right now I am just working on getting the dot11radio to work, so much fun!

Just picked this up on ebay for 400$ :)

Astaro%20220.jpg

Going to run the free home version on the unit.!

Sweet little box there. But, man, for running Astaro Free you could have spent 1/4 of that.

it's all ok! I wanted the pretty device in my rack, now to get the unit, get the software running. and figure out how the lcd will work.

Sweet little box there. But, man, for running Astaro Free you could have spent 1/4 of that.

1/4 could be roughing it... 1/2 yeah... I got the little supermicro:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Newegg link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=supermicro_server-_-16-101-332-_-Product
Sadly the price has shot up since I got it (Got it for $229 iirc! :cool:). But it makes for a great little server for those interested. Dual Intel gigabit nics are icing on the cake :D

1/4 could be roughing it... 1/2 yeah... I got the little supermicro:

Newegg link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=supermicro_server-_-16-101-332-_-Product
Sadly the price has shot up since I got it (Got it for $229 iirc! :cool:). But it makes for a great little server for those interested. Dual Intel gigabit nics are icing on the cake :D

Nice little unit, i got this one the 220, for 400$ just need to install the free home version on it! it looks sweet!! gunna look good in my rack!

Will post pictures when it arrives.

j'

rack1.jpg

patch pannel AMP Netconect Cat 6
HP Procurve 1800 Switch
Chenbro RM 414B 16 hotswap disker 14.5TB
Norco 4220 7.x TB
APC UPS 2200VA

Nice little unit, i got this one the 220, for 400$ just need to install the free home version on it! it looks sweet!! gunna look good in my rack!

Will post pictures when it arrives.

j'

I nust say having the 8 ports on the front does look interesting. Are they each a individual interface??

I nust say having the 8 ports on the front does look interesting. Are they each a individual interface??

Yes, those are all individual NICs. You can set them up as individual interfaces or assign some to a bridge and make a "switch" out of them if you needed to.

Yes, those are all individual NICs. You can set them up as individual interfaces or assign some to a bridge and make a "switch" out of them if you needed to.

In that case, it's worth the extra couple of bens. Especially if you need to use them all as vlans :cool:

If the device's nics support tagging, then you really don't even need all the interfaces.

They're Intel NICs so they support tagging. However, Astaro does not support tagging or vlan trunking, so you need all those interfaces if you don't have another router or want to do port based VLANs with the native software.

network.jpg

servers.jpg

Symantec Gateway 5620 (running Untangle) got on eBay for $15 NIB!
HP 24-port Gigabit Switch from eBay for $60
Homemade panel with temperature readout and switch that turns LED light strips
over the keyboard on and off.

Crappy Dell CRT and keyboard

Dell Poweredge 2650 running Web Servers ($90 on eBay)
Dell Poweredge 2850 running DB Servers ($65 on eBay)

(Not Pictured at bottom of rack is a 1500 Watt rackmount UPS I picked up for $30 on, you guessed it, eBay.

All of this is housed in a Dell 4020 fully enclosed rack that I practically stole on eBay for $35. The rack also came with about $250 worth of rack rails that I sold on eBay and recouped most of the cost of all of the equipment above.

teach me your ebay skills fps_krumm LOL. to keep on track and contribute a pic i added a couple things :D, get full pic when i get them in in the next week

WS-C2970G-24TS-E.jpg

cisco7970-300x271.jpg

350_18105.jpg

Fortunately there is a seller a couple hours from me that starts everything at $15 and lists them "as-is", no reserve, and free local pickup.
Most buyers are turned away by the as-is, but if you read their descriptions they actually test everything they sell. Seller's mistake is my fortune I suppose ;)

Yup... it came with lightweight installed, so I did the quick 5 minute upload of the most recent IOS. Now I just have to setup my VLANs, mount this and wait for my POE injector.

Cool. Love to know how well it works with internal antennas when you are done. :)

man i wish i could get a rack, but only having my desktop right now, dont really need it. also would jack my power bill up cause i would have a server for everything..lol

maybe once i get married and have more then 1 computer in the house!

network.jpg

Symantec Gateway 5620 (running Untangle) got on eBay for $15 NIB!
HP 24-port Gigabit Switch from eBay for $60
Homemade panel with temperature readout and switch that turns LED light strips
over the keyboard on and off.

Crappy Dell CRT and keyboard

Dell Poweredge 2650 running Web Servers ($90 on eBay)
Dell Poweredge 2850 running DB Servers ($65 on eBay)

(Not Pictured at bottom of rack is a 1500 Watt rackmount UPS I picked up for $30 on, you guessed it, eBay.

All of this is housed in a Dell 4020 fully enclosed rack that I practically stole on eBay for $35. The rack also came with about $250 worth of rack rails that I sold on eBay and recouped most of the cost of all of the equipment above.

That's a very cool setup, nice touch on the custom temp sensor :). I cannot believe you actually sold the rails and made a chunk of it back haha...

man i wish i could get a rack, but only having my desktop right now, dont really need it. also would jack my power bill up cause i would have a server for everything..lol

maybe once i get married and have more then 1 computer in the house!

I am not too sure if you would want to wait till marriage on that, lol a buddy of mine did that and got shot down many times to the point of having to hide it all in 100 diff places and wire it up. :) Open a wall, a server, a stair, a switch...

I am not too sure if you would want to wait till marriage on that, lol a buddy of mine did that and got shot down many times to the point of having to hide it all in 100 diff places and wire it up. :) Open a wall, a server, a stair, a switch...

i agree, buy it all now, because when your married, you have to ok everything through the wife, if you have it all now, she will have to learn to live with it LOL

I am forcing myself to get my CCNA before I start buying voice equipment. I have major ADD when it comes to tech, I switch back and forth and that is something that I would buy in a heart beat and learn as much as I can, but CCNA first I tell myself. Ok, I dabbed in wireless big deal.

I am forcing myself to get my CCNA before I start buying voice equipment. I have major ADD when it comes to tech, I switch back and forth and that is something that I would buy in a heart beat and learn as much as I can, but CCNA first I tell myself. Ok, I dabbed in wireless big deal.

REALLY ? you have add also ? me 2 LOL! I was reading a book about ADD, did you know that most tech's ( computer or electronics ) are ADD ? they have the capability to learn VERY FAST! compared to others with out add, witch is a rare thing.

Weird eh ?

REALLY ? you have add also ? me 2 LOL! I was reading a book about ADD, did you know that most tech's ( computer or electronics ) are ADD ? they have the capability to learn VERY FAST! compared to others with out add, witch is a rare thing.

Weird eh ?

People with ADD also tend to notice things that 'don't look right' more quickly, which makes for great troubleshooters - hey, look, there's a chicken(***)

(***) apologies to all those without ADD who just don't get this.

People with ADD also tend to notice things that 'don't look right' more quickly, which makes for great troubleshooters - hey, look, there's a chicken(***)

i don't see on chicken, woah, look a pretty blue light, what were we talking about again ?

I know what you mean. I find my ADDishness really helps when I'm cleaning or troubleshooting :p

I know what you mean. I find my ADDishness really helps when I'm cleaning or troubleshooting :p

BING! it helps me as computers interest me so much, my wife hates it because i always talk about firewalls networking etc etc, If she could only understand. Her usual comment is, does it work ? if not fix it, if it does work, stop screwing with it LOL

Updated pic. Wiring needs fixed. Ig time now lol. Sorry aboutthe size ill edit when i get home cause mobile wont let med edit rofl

DPP_000150.jpg
4691833156_39ee157fe1.jpg

new 1142N WAP is replacing the linksys, file server is moved up as well asthe other server.

EDIT: image on the right is slightly older but it was a creative dark shot i took playing with my new camera

Last edited:
I got my POE injector in today so I hung the 1131 on the wall for now:

It will be going on a ceiling after I do a cable run.

POE the 1142 and mount that on a ceiling dude!

oh it will be, i just gotta figure out where i want it to give maximum coverage for up stairs here and then down to my mom's laptop, and it is on PoE now ;) i just had it on the power while i was configuring it away from my production network

oh it will be, i just gotta figure out where i want it to give maximum coverage for up stairs here and then down to my mom's laptop, and it is on PoE now ;) i just had it on the power while i was configuring it away from my production network

Gotcha,

What did you setup the radio for, Range or Throughput?

Doing some site surveys with the unit placed in the location of your choosing with switching between those modes - that is basically what I am doing right now, trying to find the best spot, but I do have to say even with the unit on the bench right now it is giving remarkable range.

i believe i have it set for throughput right now, but i might change it for range and see how far i can get that way and still get decent speeds.

calvinj, its a dell 5324.

but I do have to say even with the unit on the bench right now it is giving remarkable range.

Seconded. I tested it across ~100 yard lake in my back yard (LOS) and still received full signal on the other side with no issues. Definitely overkill for a home network.. but this is [H] afterall ;)

Finally got my out-of-band system setup (monoprice had been out of RS232 to RJ45 adapters for a month!) and cables are cleaned up. No zip ties allowed, all velcro. Still need proper rails for servers on the bottom half as they are sitting on each other or shelves. Also need to call electrician because I'm embarrassed to say my essential components are running off the dinky Office UPS in the back as I don't have a dedicated 30A circuit yet.

UQIXW.png
G70Qe.png

Back