NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

mcbirds

n00b
Yeah I did the same thing a couple of months ago, so much easier not having to disassemble the loop every time I want to mess with something inside of the case.
Yeah it's nice when it only takes 40 seconds to change something out.

Pictures like this make the M1 look cavernous. (Unfortunately, it also shows how easily the paint chips off the frame.)

Have you been holding onto that NH-C14? I know they are getting very rare now. Nice cable management and aftermarket feet. I put the same ones on my son's M1. Did you have to trim the from I/O bracket like I did to make room for the bolts?
Yeah I kept the C14 from my original build. And while the case paint definitely chips pretty easy, this is after some pretty rough and numerous builds, tried all watercooling configs, big air, little air, etc over two years. As for the feet., no modding needed the Lian-Li spacers came with longer screws that threaded no problem.

Bawjaws

Limp Gawd
Would you have a link to those feet, please? I think I need to make a bit more clearance under my M1!

rasesh

Weaksauce
Someone seriously needs to do an instruction video step by step on how to achieve this hdd led mod on their ncase m1:

He has a website where he answers some questions about it but never ends up going through with any tutorial:
http://oliver.st/blog/ncase-m1/

There were people willing to pay $5 each just for a tutorial on this but he just vanished later.
If anyone has done this or knows how, please help us all out. A video tutorial step by step would be the best!

Thanks!

lestard

n00b
Is the Dark Rock TF compatible with an Acer AM4 B350 itx board in the M1? The community compatibility spreadsheet says yes, but with modding to the mounting kit. What type of modding?
I had the Dark Rock TF on this board and had to modify the mounting kit. You just have to dremel a little bit of the mountig kit, so it doesn't hit the chokes:

before
before.jpg

after
after.jpg

btw. i didn't have this problem with the backplate, mine fit just right.

Last edited:

No Hands 55

Limp Gawd
Someone seriously needs to do an instruction video step by step on how to achieve this hdd led mod on their ncase m1:

He has a website where he answers some questions about it but never ends up going through with any tutorial:
http://oliver.st/blog/ncase-m1/

There were people willing to pay $5 each just for a tutorial on this but he just vanished later.
If anyone has done this or knows how, please help us all out. A video tutorial step by step would be the best!

Thanks!
I did this to mine as well. i just bought the anti vandal switch and a spare power button with wires on aliexpress. took the wires off the power button and wired it up to the new power switch. pretty straight forward. you can see it at the end of this album https://imgur.com/a/jWjI6

rasesh

Weaksauce
I did this to mine as well. i just bought the anti vandal switch and a spare power button with wires on aliexpress. took the wires off the power button and wired it up to the new power switch. pretty straight forward. you can see it at the end of this album https://imgur.com/a/jWjI6
Thanks for this, looked at it very closely.
Ill be honest I still don't know how to do this. Im not a handy man at all, all I saw in your pictures were wires & still clueless. This is why I asked for a step by step process.
Plus I want to keep the original ports up front, don't want to ruin the case in any way.
Do I need to modify the case in any way to make this work?

If you can just take out like 5min of your time and maybe make a video it'll be awesome, not just for me but for a-lot of people who were asking about this mod. There were people willing to pay $5 just for a step by step process on it.

Please do think about doing so.
Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd

eyeball

n00b
I think it is going to depend on the cooler you use and if you delid the CPU or not. A 240mm AIO or custom watercooling should be no problem. A large heatsink like the Dark Rock TF or Noctua NH-C14 should work too. I think if you don't delid the 92mm tower coolers may not be up to it.
Thanks, I just ordered my M1 and am starting to plan out parts. From reading it seems like I should definitely find a good 240mm aio if I'm going to go with the 8700k, and I'd really like to since I want to try to run linux but pass the vid card through to a windows virtual machine. I think the intel chip will let me use the built in gpu for linux while giving the graphics card to the VM.

Do you think the aio would be enough alone or would it be good to also do the delidding process? Not super comfortable modifying the chip myself but could order one already done I suppose.

Any suggestions on the best aio for the m1?

Last edited:

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd
Thanks, I just ordered my M1 and am starting to plan out parts. From reading it seems like I should definitely find a good 240mm aio if I'm going to go with the 8700k, and I'd really like to since I want to try to run linux but pass the vid card through to a windows virtual machine. I think the intel chip will let me use the built in gpu for linux while giving the graphics card to the VM.

Do you think the aio would be enough alone or would it be good to also do the delidding process? Not super comfortable modifying the chip myself but could order one already done I suppose.

Any suggestions on the best aio for the m1?
The Corsair H100 is a popular choice, I would also look at the NZXT X52 and the Fractal Design.

https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/8700k Check Silicon Lottery for 8700k already delidded.

No Hands 55

Limp Gawd
Thanks for this, looked at it very closely.
Ill be honest I still don't know how to do this. Im not a handy man at all, all I saw in your pictures were wires & still clueless. This is why I asked for a step by step process.
Plus I want to keep the original ports up front, don't want to ruin the case in any way.
Do I need to modify the case in any way to make this work?

If you can just take out like 5min of your time and maybe make a video it'll be awesome, not just for me but for a-lot of people who were asking about this mod. There were people willing to pay $5 just for a step by step process on it.

Please do think about doing so.
Thanks a lot!
I can look into doing it tomorrow possibly. I dont have the old switch or anything but i cant explain it the best i can, but for now ill explain it shortly.
  • i took the green and white wires from the new set, which were attached to an led for the "power led", and wired them to the anti vandal switch. I plugged in the power led light to the mobo and turned the system on with the old switch, the new switch only has the leds hooked up for power. Once the leds worked i new i had that correct. Then i removed the blue and white wires that were on the spare power switch and wired them to the anti vandal switch. plugged that in and it worked. So then you can just unscrew a bracket from the inside of the case to remove the power button. then you feed the wires through the hole where the power button was and install the new one with the screw ring around it on the back. no alterations to the case needed.

Nufenen

n00b
If you do not overclock there is no need to delid.

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone have experience with the Alphacool Eisbaer Solo? Does it fit if I use a side rad too? I use a EKWB Coolstream PE, 35mm thick and a standards sized fan.
You only have 130mm from the motherboard to the side panel, the Alphacool is 68mm + 35mm + 25mm = 128mm which would give you 2mm for the tubing, not going to make it.

Here is a picture of mine when watercooler. It has a BlackIce Nemesis GTS 240 which is 29.6mm and the Swiftech Apogee Drive II, which should fit with no problem.

Bladestorm

[H]ard|Gawd
Any idea where I can get a replacement power cable without going through NCASE? Is there a technical term for what that cable is called?

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd
Any idea where I can get a replacement power cable without going through NCASE? Is there a technical term for what that cable is called?
It's just called a Left Angle or Right Angle Power Cable on the site. I do know you will be hard pressed to find one with the low profile connection, I recently had to replace a similar cable on my Raijintek Metis and ended up going through the manufacturer because I couldn't find one anywhere without ordering like 1000 units.

eyeball

n00b
I wonder if I should just start with something bigger like the dark rock tf you have in your sig. I worry about the smaller fans being louder / having to spin faster.

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd
I wonder if I should just start with something bigger like the dark rock tf you have in your sig. I worry about the smaller fans being louder / having to spin faster.
I can say that the Dark Rock TF is an excellent cooler and should work with the Asrock. There are fitment issues with some itx boards but I think you will be ok. I was able to fit mine to both a Gigabyte G1 Gaming 5 and an Asrock Z270 Fatal1ty. The cooler did pust against the inside ram slot on both boards, but it worked fine.

Edit: Also the Dark Rock is extremely quiet. The fans only run at 600rpm at idle and I can't hear them, even at full speed they are just barely audible.

rasesh

Weaksauce
I can say that the Dark Rock TF is an excellent cooler and should work with the Asrock. There are fitment issues with some itx boards but I think you will be ok. I was able to fit mine to both a Gigabyte G1 Gaming 5 and an Asrock Z270 Fatal1ty. The cooler did pust against the inside ram slot on both boards, but it worked fine.

Edit: Also the Dark Rock is extremely quiet. The fans only run at 600rpm at idle and I can't hear them, even at full speed they are just barely audible.
Wonder if the dark rock TF would be able to fit with the Asus Z370 Mini-Itx Strix Mobo. I believe the dimension are the same as the Asus z170 mini-itx.
Wonder if it can be oriented in a way in which I can possibly still use the cage on the right side for dual 3.5" HDD on the bracket.

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd
Wonder if the dark rock TF would be able to fit with the Asus Z370 Mini-Itx Strix Mobo. I believe the dimension are the same as the Asus z170 mini-itx.
Wonder if it can be oriented in a way in which I can possibly still use the cage on the right side for dual 3.5" HDD on the bracket.
If you look at the community spreadsheet for the TF and Strix Z270 one post says fits no problem with GPU and another says the cooler will block the PCI slot, so I can't say for sure. I do know that the height of the VRM heatsink could be an issue.

As far as the 3.5 hdd bracket I installed mine in the case to show another user, there is plenty of room. Here is a pic with the bracker installed.

Chapeau

Gawd
Technically this is an IEC C13 or C14 connector cable. Obviously, choose the correct left/right angle for whichever orientation you're using for your PSU.

Hey guys,

So, just wanted to ask a quick question. Have any of you ever attempted to put the Ncase M1 in a book bag. Like a Jansport bag you take to school. I'm curious if this case could fit in such a bag as I think it would be awesome for portability. Currently have a SG13 and it fits inside my Jansport really well. I can also put a keyboard, mouse, and some wires. Don't need to carry out a monitor so no need to worry about that. Thanks!

Necere

2[H]4U
The cable included with the M1 is a left angle C13, though you'll get more search results with "right angle C13." Left/right/up/down are to distinguish the different orientations they come in, but right angle - as in a 90 degree angle - is also a description for these type of cables more generally.

Do note that the C13 connector on the cable we use is lower profile than what is commercially available (AFAIK), and we have to special order a few thousand at a time for the M1. Silverstone and Fractal Design, among others, use similarly low profile cables on some of their cases, so you may be able to get one through them.

Bladestorm

[H]ard|Gawd
The cable included with the M1 is a left angle C13, though you'll get more search results with "right angle C13." Left/right/up/down are to distinguish the different orientations they come in, but right angle - as in a 90 degree angle - is also a description for these type of cables more generally.

Do note that the C13 connector on the cable we use is lower profile than what is commercially available (AFAIK), and we have to special order a few thousand at a time for the M1. Silverstone and Fractal Design, among others, use similarly low profile cables on some of their cases, so you may be able to get one through them.
Thank you. I was unable to find one with a screw mount end, and just ended up ordering one directly from NCASE.

Qrash

Gawd
Hey guys,

So, just wanted to ask a quick question. Have any of you ever attempted to put the Ncase M1 in a book bag. Like a Jansport bag you take to school. I'm curious if this case could fit in such a bag as I think it would be awesome for portability. Currently have a SG13 and it fits inside my Jansport really well. I can also put a keyboard, mouse, and some wires. Don't need to carry out a monitor so no need to worry about that. Thanks!
Let's compare the dimensions of the Silverstone SG13 to the Ncase M1 (H x W x D):

SG13: 181 mm x 222 mm x 285 mm
M1: 240 mm x 160 mm x 328 mm
I think the M1 will fit. The SG13 is more cube-like than the M1 so I thiink the M1 might even fit better in the Jansport bag, but you may have to place it into the bag with the rear panel down. The M1 is narrower than any of the SG13 dimensions, but it is 43 mm longer. Since your bag accomodates a keyboard (TKL or full length?) I expect it will be able to fit the length of the M1 in the bag's vertical dimension.

To be sure, I would get some cardboard and quickly create a mock-up of the M1 to see if it fits.

ptirmal

Weaksauce
I went ahead and placed an order for an Arctic Accelero III to use with my Asus turbo 1070.

I plan on using 2 Noctua NF-F12 fans exhausting, having never used an aftermarket cooler is there a special adapter I need to use the Noctua fans? Is the header on the GPU a mini header where I'll need an adapter and a splitter?

Also, is standard thermal tape on Amazon acceptable to use with the heatsinks included? I would like to retain the ability to remove the cooler if needed to go back to stock.

bbskd87

n00b
I went ahead and placed an order for an Arctic Accelero III to use with my Asus turbo 1070.

I plan on using 2 Noctua NF-F12 fans exhausting, having never used an aftermarket cooler is there a special adapter I need to use the Noctua fans? Is the header on the GPU a mini header where I'll need an adapter and a splitter?

Also, is standard thermal tape on Amazon acceptable to use with the heatsinks included? I would like to retain the ability to remove the cooler if needed to go back to stock.
Yes, you'll need an adapter (and splitter) for the fans. You can also just make one from the connector already plugged into the card.

If you don't overclock the card, the thermal tape should be fine.

rasesh

Weaksauce
If you look at the community spreadsheet for the TF and Strix Z270 one post says fits no problem with GPU and another says the cooler will block the PCI slot, so I can't say for sure. I do know that the height of the VRM heatsink could be an issue.

As far as the 3.5 hdd bracket I installed mine in the case to show another user, there is plenty of room. Here is a pic with the bracker installed.
What about the Z170i pro gaming mobo with the dark TF + GPU + 2 x hdd on the side bracket?
Thanks!

Let's compare the dimensions of the Silverstone SG13 to the Ncase M1 (H x W x D):

SG13: 181 mm x 222 mm x 285 mm
M1: 240 mm x 160 mm x 328 mm
I think the M1 will fit. The SG13 is more cube-like than the M1 so I thiink the M1 might even fit better in the Jansport bag, but you may have to place it into the bag with the rear panel down. The M1 is narrower than any of the SG13 dimensions, but it is 43 mm longer. Since your bag accomodates a keyboard (TKL or full length?) I expect it will be able to fit the length of the M1 in the bag's vertical dimension.

To be sure, I would get some cardboard and quickly create a mock-up of the M1 to see if it fits.
Hey thanks so much! Sorry I should have specified the keyboard. It's a Logitech K260. So whatever that is. Though this keyboard is pushing it. I'll go ahead and get the M1 now. I just wanted to make sure it was portable enough to take to people's houses and whatnot.

Edit: Actually I wanted to ask another question. For CPU coolers, I was thinking of going for the Noctua NH-C14S. Anyone have any experience getting it to work. It meets the height requirements at 115mm, but I heard it's a bit wide. I can orient the pipes facing the ram if it's a problem, so the overhang can be towards the rear IO. I have low profile RAM so it shouldn't be a problem with the pipes. What do you think? I think it's the best cooler for the case, but I've heard of issues with it fitting.

Also on another note, anyone got the Raijintek Morpheus GPU cooler to fit? Would it fit with 15mm fans? Would these fans have an effect on cooling performance of said GPU? Contrast this with the Arctic Xtreme III.

eyeball

n00b
all the parts on my list ordered now to be delivered later this week ... except the 8700k and the motherboard. ... going to be an annoyingly long wait for them to be back in stock. ... makes the ryzen 1800x look more and more attractive.

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey thanks so much! Sorry I should have specified the keyboard. It's a Logitech K260. So whatever that is. Though this keyboard is pushing it. I'll go ahead and get the M1 now. I just wanted to make sure it was portable enough to take to people's houses and whatnot.

Edit: Actually I wanted to ask another question. For CPU coolers, I was thinking of going for the Noctua NH-C14S. Anyone have any experience getting it to work. It meets the height requirements at 115mm, but I heard it's a bit wide. I can orient the pipes facing the ram if it's a problem, so the overhang can be towards the rear IO. I have low profile RAM so it shouldn't be a problem with the pipes. What do you think? I think it's the best cooler for the case, but I've heard of issues with it fitting.

Also on another note, anyone got the Raijintek Morpheus GPU cooler to fit? Would it fit with 15mm fans? Would these fans have an effect on cooling performance of said GPU? Contrast this with the Arctic Xtreme III.
The NH-C12S will fit but will require 15mm fans on the side bracket, the lower fan won't work because it will hit the PSU. I have seen one user install the Raijintek Morpheus and it will fit with 15mm fans.

Last edited:

Qrash

Gawd
The Logitech K260 Keyboard is 442 mm in length, so the M1 (at 328 mm) will definitely fit.

You guys are so awesome! Thanks! Did you guys like the fit and finish of the case? Any problems? Also how long did it take to deliver from shipping? For example if I choose TW Air2 and I live in the US.

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd
You guys are so awesome! Thanks! Did you guys like the fit and finish of the case? Any problems? Also how long did it take to deliver from shipping? For example if I choose TW Air2 and I live in the US.
The fit and finish is the nicest I have ever seen. This was the most money I had ever spent on a case and it shows. I live in the US west coast and got my case 10 days after it was shipped.