NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by wahaha360, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Chimaera43

Chimaera43 [H]Lite

2. rasesh

rasesh [H]Lite

The board barely has any I/O at the back. On top of that it's rumoured that Asus hasn't really fixed the issue most am4 itx mobo's had with the vrm cooling I believe.
    Hopefully they are planning on a x370 am4 itx with these issues fixed.

3. rasesh

rasesh [H]Lite

4. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

Zip ties to the rescue...?!?

5. Chapeau

Chapeau Gawd

You know... you might just get lucky. Some of the tubes already have block ends on them. Just use some 3m mounting tape and it will hold.

Anecdotally, the 3M tape is so strong, the chassis panels will start bending if you try and pull that stuff off without twisting or cutting it first!!

Qrash likes this.
  6. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

Depends on which tape you get. Some of their stuff will rip the paint off before separating, just need to prep the surface properly before applying the tape and keep pressure for about a minute.

Edit: for removable but permanent, their heavy duty fastener is pretty good, but it's a bit thick. It's like a plastic velcro, except instead of hook-and-loop it's balls on both sides. Holds well against sheer and vertical forces, but comes right off with a bit of torque.

7. rasesh

rasesh [H]Lite

You guys think 1 cathode will do right at the bottom middle of the case upside down to get the glow effect?
    I think 2 cathodes might just give a massive flash light rather than a good amount of glow.
    Any preference as to which cathode company is the best? I am mostly doing a black/white build with a black ncase m1 so prefer the cathode be white light.
    if you guys know any "low light cathode" or less powerful yet good company which would give me a "light glow" effect rather than a massive flash light glow let me know.

Thanks!

8. mcbirds

mcbirds n00b

Done with my custom loop for now. Back to air.

[​IMG]

Nanook likes this.
  9. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah I did the same thing a couple of months ago, so much easier not having to disassemble the loop every time I want to mess with something inside of the case.

10. VegaVan

VegaVan n00b

Is the Dark Rock TF compatible with an Acer AM4 B350 itx board in the M1? The community compatibility spreadsheet says yes, but with modding to the mounting kit. What type of modding?

11. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

Pictures like this make the M1 look cavernous. (Unfortunately, it also shows how easily the paint chips off the frame.)

Have you been holding onto that NH-C14? I know they are getting very rare now. Nice cable management and aftermarket feet. I put the same ones on my son's M1. Did you have to trim the from I/O bracket like I did to make room for the bolts?

12. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

Do you mean the Asrock B350 itx? Acer doesn't make motherboards.

If the Asrock here are pics from a mod done in this thread by CybKnight. https://hardforum.com/threads/asrock-x370-gaming-itx-ac.1935767/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah Qrash I have the same problem. All my exterior panels are perfect but the frame is getting really beat up.

14. VegaVan

VegaVan n00b

Absolutely I did. Brain fart. Thanks for post.

15. mcbirds

mcbirds n00b

Yeah it's nice when it only takes 40 seconds to change something out.

Yeah I kept the C14 from my original build. And while the case paint definitely chips pretty easy, this is after some pretty rough and numerous builds, tried all watercooling configs, big air, little air, etc over two years. As for the feet., no modding needed the Lian-Li spacers came with longer screws that threaded no problem.

16. Bawjaws

Bawjaws Limp Gawd

Would you have a link to those feet, please? I think I need to make a bit more clearance under my M1!

17. mcbirds

mcbirds n00b

18. Bawjaws

Bawjaws Limp Gawd

Great stuff, thanks very much for the link.

19. rasesh

rasesh [H]Lite

Someone seriously needs to do an instruction video step by step on how to achieve this hdd led mod on their ncase m1:

He has a website where he answers some questions about it but never ends up going through with any tutorial:
    http://oliver.st/blog/ncase-m1/

There were people willing to pay $5 each just for a tutorial on this but he just vanished later.
    If anyone has done this or knows how, please help us all out. A video tutorial step by step would be the best!

Thanks!

20. lestard

lestard n00b

I had the Dark Rock TF on this board and had to modify the mounting kit. You just have to dremel a little bit of the mountig kit, so it doesn't hit the chokes:

before
    before.jpg

after
    after.jpg

btw. i didn't have this problem with the backplate, mine fit just right.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  21. No Hands 55

No Hands 55 Limp Gawd

I did this to mine as well. i just bought the anti vandal switch and a spare power button with wires on aliexpress. took the wires off the power button and wired it up to the new power switch. pretty straight forward. you can see it at the end of this album https://imgur.com/a/jWjI6

22. rasesh

rasesh [H]Lite

Thanks for this, looked at it very closely.
    Ill be honest I still don't know how to do this. Im not a handy man at all, all I saw in your pictures were wires & still clueless. This is why I asked for a step by step process.
    Plus I want to keep the original ports up front, don't want to ruin the case in any way.
    Do I need to modify the case in any way to make this work?

If you can just take out like 5min of your time and maybe make a video it'll be awesome, not just for me but for a-lot of people who were asking about this mod. There were people willing to pay $5 just for a step by step process on it.

Please do think about doing so.
    Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  23. eyeball

eyeball n00b

24. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

I think it is going to depend on the cooler you use and if you delid the CPU or not. A 240mm AIO or custom watercooling should be no problem. A large heatsink like the Dark Rock TF or Noctua NH-C14 should work too. I think if you don't delid the 92mm tower coolers may not be up to it.

25. eyeball

eyeball n00b

Thanks, I just ordered my M1 and am starting to plan out parts. From reading it seems like I should definitely find a good 240mm aio if I'm going to go with the 8700k, and I'd really like to since I want to try to run linux but pass the vid card through to a windows virtual machine. I think the intel chip will let me use the built in gpu for linux while giving the graphics card to the VM.

Do you think the aio would be enough alone or would it be good to also do the delidding process? Not super comfortable modifying the chip myself but could order one already done I suppose.

Any suggestions on the best aio for the m1?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  26. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

The Corsair H100 is a popular choice, I would also look at the NZXT X52 and the Fractal Design.

https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/8700k Check Silicon Lottery for 8700k already delidded.

27. No Hands 55

No Hands 55 Limp Gawd

I can look into doing it tomorrow possibly. I dont have the old switch or anything but i cant explain it the best i can, but for now ill explain it shortly.
    • i took the green and white wires from the new set, which were attached to an led for the "power led", and wired them to the anti vandal switch. I plugged in the power led light to the mobo and turned the system on with the old switch, the new switch only has the leds hooked up for power. Once the leds worked i new i had that correct. Then i removed the blue and white wires that were on the spare power switch and wired them to the anti vandal switch. plugged that in and it worked. So then you can just unscrew a bracket from the inside of the case to remove the power button. then you feed the wires through the hole where the power button was and install the new one with the screw ring around it on the back. no alterations to the case needed.

28. Nufenen

Nufenen n00b

Does anyone have experience with the Alphacool Eisbaer Solo? Does it fit if I use a side rad too? I use a EKWB Coolstream PE, 35mm thick and a standards sized fan.

29. Nufenen

Nufenen n00b

If you do not overclock there is no need to delid.

30. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

You only have 130mm from the motherboard to the side panel, the Alphacool is 68mm + 35mm + 25mm = 128mm which would give you 2mm for the tubing, not going to make it.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of mine when watercooler. It has a BlackIce Nemesis GTS 240 which is 29.6mm and the Swiftech Apogee Drive II, which should fit with no problem.

Nufenen likes this.
  31. Bladestorm

Bladestorm [H]ard|Gawd

Any idea where I can get a replacement power cable without going through NCASE? Is there a technical term for what that cable is called?

32. eyeball

eyeball n00b

33. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

It's just called a Left Angle or Right Angle Power Cable on the site. I do know you will be hard pressed to find one with the low profile connection, I recently had to replace a similar cable on my Raijintek Metis and ended up going through the manufacturer because I couldn't find one anywhere without ordering like 1000 units.

34. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

Everything should be good with that list, I am curious to see how well the 8700k runs with a 92mm cooler, but that Noctua is one of the best ones.

35. eyeball

eyeball n00b

I wonder if I should just start with something bigger like the dark rock tf you have in your sig. I worry about the smaller fans being louder / having to spin faster.

36. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

I can say that the Dark Rock TF is an excellent cooler and should work with the Asrock. There are fitment issues with some itx boards but I think you will be ok. I was able to fit mine to both a Gigabyte G1 Gaming 5 and an Asrock Z270 Fatal1ty. The cooler did pust against the inside ram slot on both boards, but it worked fine.

Edit: Also the Dark Rock is extremely quiet. The fans only run at 600rpm at idle and I can't hear them, even at full speed they are just barely audible.

37. rasesh

rasesh [H]Lite

Wonder if the dark rock TF would be able to fit with the Asus Z370 Mini-Itx Strix Mobo. I believe the dimension are the same as the Asus z170 mini-itx.
    Wonder if it can be oriented in a way in which I can possibly still use the cage on the right side for dual 3.5" HDD on the bracket.

38. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

If you look at the community spreadsheet for the TF and Strix Z270 one post says fits no problem with GPU and another says the cooler will block the PCI slot, so I can't say for sure. I do know that the height of the VRM heatsink could be an issue.

As far as the 3.5 hdd bracket I installed mine in the case to show another user, there is plenty of room. Here is a pic with the bracker installed.

[​IMG]

39. Chapeau

Chapeau Gawd

Technically this is an IEC C13 or C14 connector cable. Obviously, choose the correct left/right angle for whichever orientation you're using for your PSU.

40. TheDrifter363

TheDrifter363 n00b

Hey guys,

So, just wanted to ask a quick question. Have any of you ever attempted to put the Ncase M1 in a book bag. Like a Jansport bag you take to school. I'm curious if this case could fit in such a bag as I think it would be awesome for portability. Currently have a SG13 and it fits inside my Jansport really well. I can also put a keyboard, mouse, and some wires. Don't need to carry out a monitor so no need to worry about that. Thanks!