NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by wahaha360, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Nanook

Nanook Limp Gawd

This is amazing! That is a lot of components you manage to squeeze in there. May I suggest a 92mm fan grill. :)

Chapeau likes this.
  2. Chimaera43

Chimaera43 [H]Lite

Agreed. I ordered my cables from AliExpress and went with 300mm for the 24-pin.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  3. avidracer

avidracer n00b

Thanks for the information. I will use this as a baseline.

4. Chapeau

Chapeau Gawd

Yeah - you know finding a black one is exceedingly hard. I've already put my hands into that rear fan a handful of times.. ahahaha (see what I did there?) I might have to paint one up.

I actually have 2 x slim 92mm fans at hand. Just a bit time poor at the moment but there is definitely room for internal placement too. My gut feeling is that the single slim fan just doesn't have enough grunt for that thick radiator so I had planned on push/pull - but if I can get away with a single that would be nice for noise.

5. Nanook

Nanook Limp Gawd

A black dust cover, or filter might be more restrictive, but could work out well for aesthetics.

6. keshley

keshley [H]Lite

I've found my fingers in the blades of the a12x15 fans on the bottom of my case a few times. I really need to do the Chapeau radiator mod so I can get those fans inside the case! Probably won't have time for a while though, and what time I've had has been spent overclocking my RAM. So. Tedious.

In other news, I really like the looks of my monoblock in the M1, and it frees up some vertical space (or I guess horizontal since the mobo sits vertical?), but I think the CPU temps would be better with a normal block. Hard to tell with how awful KL is sometimes temp-wise. Maybe I'll revisit a Ryzen build when the 12nm stuff supposedly comes out early next year.

7. Nanook

Nanook Limp Gawd

My Z270i monoblock ports are side by side, whereas I could mount my cpu block so that the ports are stacked vertically. I could mount a 92x25mm fan and 92mm radiator with the cpu block but not the monoblock.

8. sparky1_2007

sparky1_2007 2[H]4U

Ordered an Acellero III for my 1080ti.

Hoping to just have that sit on the 120mm PWM fans I have in the bottom and have them exhaust for better temps. Currently with the stock blower cooler, it is hitting the 82-83c target and is ~100-200mhz over the boost clock advertised.

9. Rhialto

Rhialto Gawd

I want to understand because I should get a similar one when in stock. Does blower have access to fresh air? If it sucks heated air from surrounding, it doesn't help.

Does the extra 100-200MHz mean you have OCed it? If so why, not enough perf at stock speed?

Someone told me his never exceed 85c with blower maxed at 45% and I hope it will be the same for me.

10. keshley

keshley [H]Lite

Ideally, the blower would be pulling fresh air from the bottom of the case. So airflow outside the case matters as well. If the bottom of the case can't breathe well enough, or if it's getting recirculated air from the other vents, then temps will suffer accordingly.

11. sparky1_2007

sparky1_2007 2[H]4U

The blower has a 120mm fan pointed at its intake, so it should be getting plenty of fresh air.

I do not have it OC'd, but from what I understand, the pascal cards just OC themselves until it reaches its thermal limit (83-84c in this case) or something else like a power limit from my understanding. (someone please correct me if I am wrong here)

12. Rhialto

Rhialto Gawd

If there is not enough space between fan and blower then it may hurt the airflow, which is a complex science.

Almost that... https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/gpu-boost/technology

sparky1_2007 likes this.
  13. Rhialto

Rhialto Gawd

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  14. MIDIBoss

MIDIBoss [H]Lite

That looks nice, but it is also a little bigger than the M1. Not much, but some... Something to think about. I lucked out. I bought one and it fits snugly but directly into this little padded handbag I usually use for carrying microphones around. It's going to come in super handy for light trips with the M1. I would love to have an even smaller case, but OTOH there are so many more cooling options with something like the M1 over the even smaller ones that are available. To the PC-Q38's credit, it seems to have more GPU options and less limitations in that department.

15. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

Like, 7 liters larger...

16. MIDIBoss

MIDIBoss [H]Lite

Wow. I just looked at the LxWxH, didn't look at the volume, that's a lot! Not really comparable IMHO. I'm very happy with the size of the M1.

17. Bawjaws

Bawjaws Limp Gawd

Aye, 20 litres for the Q38, which is a hefty increase on the M1. I really like the appearance of the Q38, and even though I don't like windowed cases I think they've nailed the windowed side panel. I'd be concerned about there only being two fan mounts (2 x 120mm in the roof), plus there's a lot of wasted space in front of the motherboard between the PSU and GPU... But all that said, I think this is a pretty good mass-market mITX chassis, and at £100 it's a lot cheaper than an M1.

18. Skott

Skott 2[H]4U

Just as a FYI if you want a windowed M1 here in the USA and cannot do the job yourself contact Performance-pc.com They can do the mod for you. You send your side panel to them and they will add the window. There is a fee of course.

19. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

They only list it as having 2X120mm top fan support but looking at the pictures both the bottom and rear have the same ventilation slots as the top. You can see 4 mounting screws on the back (unsure of size) and I haven't found a clear pic of the bottom but even if it didn't have mounting holes you could add them.

One nice thing is if you wanted to do a custom loop that rear panel would be a great place to mount a pump/res.

20. Bawjaws

Bawjaws Limp Gawd

Yeah, I saw the vents on the back but wasn't entirely sure how big a fan you might be to fit there, or how much benefit you'd get from fans on the far side panel...

21. Nanook

Nanook Limp Gawd

I believe the rear vent is meant for 2.5 hdd

22. bbskd87

bbskd87 n00b

23. Chapeau

Chapeau Gawd

24. rasesh

rasesh [H]Lite

Hey guys I’ve been going crazy trying to find a specific silver Ncase M1 build which had a beautiful pink under glow lighting done to it.

Anyone seen it? Link if you have.

Also, how does 1 do an under glow effect?
    No lights in the inside of the case but under the case is a surrounding glow.

Thanks

25. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

This one?

26. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

That's a lovely setup, unfortunately he doesn't mention what type of lighting he is using.

27. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

They do mention the LED strips they used in the reddit thread.

28. azagar

azagar n00b

29. Nathan Spears

Nathan Spears [H]Lite

I'm very interested in this. Do you know what kind of window material do they use? Is it acrylic or tempered glass? Also, do you know about how much it cost?

30. Nathan Spears

Nathan Spears [H]Lite

Well, to answer my own question, Performance PCs charges $69 plus shipping back. You'll have to send the panel to them first. Unfortunately, it's a bolt-on type system and it's acrylic. There was no mention if it was cell-cast acrylic or not (cell-cast is more premium than what most manufacturers put in their acrylic side window cases).

Here's a sample of the bolt-on style. The photo is from Performance PCs.

bolt on sample1.jpg

Chapeau likes this.
  31. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

Thanks for doing the research and posting here. I'm sure you weren't the only person interested in this service.

32. rasesh

rasesh [H]Lite

Not the exact 1 but yes very similar to this 1 except you see how the LED at the bottom looks staggered? What I mean is there is space in between each light... mostly because the light is being thrown from inside of the case to the outside making it go throw the bottom grills making that staggered look.

I'd like mine to look like a glow underneath with no spaces.

I wonder how one can achieve this exactly.
    I believe 1 way would be to have the light stuck underneath the outside of the case, but I wonder how it would stick there forever + how I'd be able to manage the cables.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  33. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

DIFFUSION ACRYLIC FILTERS

You can snag one off a old lcd if you aren't using it anymore. They're sold on eBay too, and maybe Amazon, iirc.

Or, you can stick the led strip under the case with some 3m double sided tape, but you'd still have slightly uneven light because there are multiple leds. The diffusion filter takes the light and scatters and spreads it so it's even across the surface of the filter.

34. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

Just get a couple cathode light bars. http://www.performance-pcs.com/logisys-true-color-ccfl-light-bar-20-pink.html

rasesh likes this.
  35. sparky1_2007

sparky1_2007 2[H]4U

Piecing together my GTX 1080ti cooling solution.

Got this part in :)
    [​IMG]

Just waiting for my acellero III now.

Nanook likes this.
  36. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

Someone posted recently that this is not compatible with a 1080ti, but is with a 1070 or 1080. Can you confirm this?

Chapeau likes this.
  37. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

I am curious about this too, it is listed for the 1070/1080 FE but I compared the pcb's on the 1070 and the 1080 Ti and it looks like it will cover the necessary components and the screw holes look the same.

38. icc0rz

icc0rz n00b

The coils (R22) does not fit with the opening. You'll have to modify/cut the hole bigger.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  39. sparky1_2007

sparky1_2007 2[H]4U

Looks like i'll be finding out sometime next week. I'll post an update when I get it sorted out.