NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

The fit and finish is the nicest I have ever seen. This was the most money I had ever spent on a case and it shows. I live in the US west coast and got my case 10 days after it was shipped.
Very nice, thank you. Good! Then I can purchase the case and not have doubts. I live on the US east coast. Needed a better CPU cooler for overclocking so I wanted to get a case that has more room for such things. I could have gotten the Node 304 but I don't think that case can fit in a book bag.

Nufenen

n00b
You only have 130mm from the motherboard to the side panel, the Alphacool is 68mm + 35mm + 25mm = 128mm which would give you 2mm for the tubing, not going to make it.

Here is a picture of mine when watercooler. It has a BlackIce Nemesis GTS 240 which is 29.6mm and the Swiftech Apogee Drive II, which should fit with no problem.
Thanks! The reason why I rather not take the Apogee Drive is the price and it is nowhere available in Europe unfortunately. I also heard that it is never silent, not even on lowest speed. Is that your experience too?

So if anyone knows an alternative please let me know.

MIDIBoss

Weaksauce
Intel 8th gen based M1 V5 build, commencing!

Intel i3 8350k CPU
EVGA 1080 ti SC2 GPU
32gb 3200mhz G.Skill RAM
1tb Samsung 960 Pro Nvme M.2 SSD
Asus ROG Strix z370-i motherboard
Corsair SF600 SFX PSU
Noctua NH-U9S CPU cooler
Noctua 120 slim fans X3
Noctua NF-A9 X2 (on CPU cooler)
Noctua 92mm slim fan x 1 for rear exhaust aid
Rockit 88 delid/relid kit
Red ATV for CPU relid
Grizzly conductonaut LM
Noctua thermal paste for CPU cooler

Eventually, when we can all finally get access to the elusive 8700k, I'll get one of those and switch it out. For now, i3 8350K is all I could find and I am admittedly anxious to get started with this project.

Wish me luck, it's my first build. Stoked.

Attachments

cyclimse

n00b
Hi guys,

I recently changed my cooling setup in the Ncase M1 V5. I initially had a NH U9S in push-pull and a 120mm PWM Noctua fan on the side bracket in front of the PSU. I bought a Scythe Kabuto 3 which was cheap (around 40€) and seemed to perform really well according to some reviews:
https://www.computerforum.de/threads/review-scythe-kabuto-3.69179/
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Scythe/Kabuto_3/7.html

I am quite surprised but I actually get much better temps with this single fan setup than the previous 3 fan setup !

I did not tinker with the fan curve initially so all the following results were obtained by putting "silent" mode on all PWM fans in the bios. The CPU is a delidded i7 6700K @ 4.5ghz. The benchmark is Realbench 2.54 (temps after 20 minutes).

Noctua U9S push-pull + 120mm pwm side fan:

* core 1: 71°c
* core 2: 69°c
* core 3: 70°c
* core 4: 69°c
* fan speed: 1300rpm on the two 92mm fans / 750rpm on the side fan

Scythe Kabuto 3 (w/ Gentle Typhoon PWM):
* core 1: 62°c
* core 2: 60°c
* core 3: 59°c
* core 4: 59°c
* fan speed: 1630rpm

I slightly tuned the fan curve after the benchmark so that it wouldn't go beyond 1300rpm in RB. CPU temps went up by only 1 or 2°c. The fan spins quietly at 1000rpm in idle.

I also changed the SF 600 fan with a slim 92mm Noctua fan from a second-hand NH L9.

So far so good !

PfctjEW.jpg

wTLqMVU.jpg

Qrash

Gawd
Hi guys,

I recently changed my cooling setup in the Ncase M1 V5. I initially had a NH U9S in push-pull and a 120mm PWM Noctua fan on the side bracket in front of the PSU. I bought a Scythe Kabuto 3 which was cheap (around 40€) and seemed to perform really well according to some reviews:
https://www.computerforum.de/threads/review-scythe-kabuto-3.69179/
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Scythe/Kabuto_3/7.html

I am quite surprised but I actually get much better temps with this single fan setup than the previous 3 fan setup !

I did not tinker with the fan curve initially so all the following results were obtained by putting "silent" mode on all PWM fans in the bios. The CPU is a delidded i7 6700K @ 4.5ghz. The benchmark is Realbench 2.54 (temps after 20 minutes).

Noctua U9S push-pull + 120mm pwm side fan:

* core 1: 71°c
* core 2: 69°c
* core 3: 70°c
* core 4: 69°c
* fan speed: 1300rpm on the two 92mm fans / 750rpm on the side fan

Scythe Kabuto 3 (w/ Gentle Typhoon PWM):
* core 1: 62°c
* core 2: 60°c
* core 3: 59°c
* core 4: 59°c
* fan speed: 1630rpm

I slightly tuned the fan curve after the benchmark so that it wouldn't go beyond 1300rpm in RB. CPU temps went up by only 1 or 2°c. The fan spins quietly at 1000rpm in idle.

I also changed the SF 600 fan with a slim 92mm Noctua fan from a second-hand NH L9.

So far so good !

Nice find on the Scythe Kabuto 3. I was recently in Sendai, Japan for work and I visited the local Yodobashi (a Japanese chain of electronics stores) and a small locally own computer store and at both I found several CPU coolers that I was not familiar with that would fit in the M1. I will post some more information and photos (if they turned out OK on my crappy HTC) soon.

MIDIBoss

Weaksauce
Basically finished this last night! Running the cooling setup I found here: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/case-study-air-cooling-inside-an-ncase-m1.2562/ I copied his "Version 3" setup and it's working great. Unforutnately I haven't been able to fit a top right chassis fan yet because of these insanely tough Corsair SF600 stock cables running amuck in my build. I don't want to spend any more money so I probably won't order custom cables, but hopefully I can spend some more time with cable management and get everything tied up closer to the PSU so I can fit an intake fan on the top right chassis fan port.

Overall, I loved building inside this case (I have the Version 5 case) and it is so small! It's a perfect footprint for my apartment and it's also portable and lightweight enough that I'll be able to use it for live music playing as well with a small USB screen and a small wireless-USB Logitech keyboard/trackpad and my portable Avid Mbox Mini audio interface which is working great with this machine at 64 samples i/o (the fastest available latency setting!) so I couldn't be happier.

I wanted i-7 8700K for this build but obviously nobody can get that right now. I bought i3-8350k for now (might sell it later) but I have to admit the initial results are very good. I am able to OC to ~5ghz (4.96ghz showing in system) and this is fast for me! I'm coming from a 2010 laptop... Lol. Temps are high so I will have to delid. I am a little nervous about that, but I am a repairman by trade so I'm not extremely intimidated although I don't know anything about electronics so I don't damage anything. I have the Rockit.88 delid/relid kit and Grizzly Conducanaut. I watched Kyle Bennett's video where he covered the metal connections near the LM application with red ATV, so I will probably follow his lead and be very careful not to short anything out. Yikes! Wish me luck.

Cheers, and happy building.
M

Attachments

Rhialto

Gawd
Basically finished this last night! Running the cooling setup I found here: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/case-study-air-cooling-inside-an-ncase-m1.2562/ I copied his "Version 3" setup and it's working great.
I didn't know about that forum, cool! And I was planning same orientation but with duct instead of extra fans. It's all in my head, just waiting for the day I will get all the parts.

Also instead of delid, why not just go with a safe 4.6GHz and see if temps are fine and it does all what you want?

eyeball

n00b
Cool build. A little worried that it's so close to the one I'm working on except I was planning on waiting for the 8700k. If you're having temp troubles with the i3, then that thing is going to roast the small case.

Rhialto

Gawd
Cool build. A little worried that it's so close to the one I'm working on except I was planning on waiting for the 8700k. If you're having temp troubles with the i3, then that thing is going to roast the small case.
Yeah not easy to find what's real with temps on 8700K. Then I said maybe I should just run it as it is without OC but then why get the K? But the non-K is now onl a non-OC CPU, it is also slower. So I'll keep on eye on review but will probably go for a K that I might slightly OC. I don't plan to try hitting 5GHz with it. I mean from a 4.2GHz 2500K to a stock 8700K is already a decent improvement, I mean from 4 cores to 6+6 and the higher turbo speed and from DDR3 to DDR4, I'm sure I'll see a welcome difference.

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd
Basically finished this last night! Running the cooling setup I found here: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/case-study-air-cooling-inside-an-ncase-m1.2562/ I copied his "Version 3" setup and it's working great. Unforutnately I haven't been able to fit a top right chassis fan yet because of these insanely tough Corsair SF600 stock cables running amuck in my build. I don't want to spend any more money so I probably won't order custom cables, but hopefully I can spend some more time with cable management and get everything tied up closer to the PSU so I can fit an intake fan on the top right chassis fan port.

Overall, I loved building inside this case (I have the Version 5 case) and it is so small! It's a perfect footprint for my apartment and it's also portable and lightweight enough that I'll be able to use it for live music playing as well with a small USB screen and a small wireless-USB Logitech keyboard/trackpad and my portable Avid Mbox Mini audio interface which is working great with this machine at 64 samples i/o (the fastest available latency setting!) so I couldn't be happier.

I wanted i-7 8700K for this build but obviously nobody can get that right now. I bought i3-8350k for now (might sell it later) but I have to admit the initial results are very good. I am able to OC to ~5ghz (4.96ghz showing in system) and this is fast for me! I'm coming from a 2010 laptop... Lol. Temps are high so I will have to delid. I am a little nervous about that, but I am a repairman by trade so I'm not extremely intimidated although I don't know anything about electronics so I don't damage anything. I have the Rockit.88 delid/relid kit and Grizzly Conducanaut. I watched Kyle Bennett's video where he covered the metal connections near the LM application with red ATV, so I will probably follow his lead and be very careful not to short anything out. Yikes! Wish me luck.

Cheers, and happy building.
M
Nice build, if you are looking for custom cables that don't cost an arm and a leg check these out. https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...id=SB_20171011155040&SearchText=Corsair+SF600

rasesh

Weaksauce
Nice build, if you are looking for custom cables that don't cost an arm and a leg check these out. https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...id=SB_20171011155040&SearchText=Corsair+SF600
Whats the difference between these & cablemod cables or other more expensive one's?

Oh cool! Thanks for the tip.
Seems like your RGB ram doesn't really get seen with the cooler right on top of it + the fan that completely covers it.
Maybe the glow from the back looks good? No idea.
I was thinking about RGB ram but then I knew it would be complete blocked out.

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd
Whats the difference between these & cablemod cables or other more expensive one's?
Well they come from China, shipping takes a bit but for what I saved I thought it was worth it. Nylon sleeved not paracord, which I like better seeing as it isn't as thick. I have been using my set of these cables for about 9 months now and they work very well.

sparky1_2007

2[H]4U
Well, I can confirm my Gelid enhancement kit doesn't work on my asus 1080ti turbo. The custom board doesn't even match the mounting holes for it :\

I can say that this is WELL worth the upgrade/hassle.

I am seeing ~60c max with the dual 120mm on exhaust & steady boost core clocks @ ~1850mhz all while being almost dead silent. can't ask for anything more.

I ended up using some double sided thermal tape to mount the memory & VRM heat spreaders on.
Used this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYO3PK9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Also, for fan control, I got one of these to hook up to my 2x 120mm PWM fans below: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZKZEQA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MIDIBoss

Weaksauce
Seems like your RGB ram doesn't really get seen with the cooler right on top of it + the fan that completely covers it.
Maybe the glow from the back looks good? No idea.
I was thinking about RGB ram but then I knew it would be complete blocked out.
Yeah, you're right, but for me the most paramount factor is the best air cooling I could acheive in this case. Water cooling scares me because I'm gonna be moving it around a lot, traveling with it, etc.

Actually I kinda dig the muted RGB look. I don't want it to be too flashy because I'm gonna be using it at concerts too.

If you wanted though, it's completely possible to dress up this beast with some RGB LED strips inside. I've seen a few nice M1 builds with that going on. Maybe I'll do that someday.

Qrash

Gawd
Well, I can confirm my Gelid enhancement kit doesn't work on my asus 1080ti turbo. The custom board doesn't even match the mounting holes for it :\

I am seeing ~60c max with the dual 120mm on exhaust & steady boost core clocks @ ~1850mhz all while being almost dead silent. can't ask for anything more.

I ended up using some double sided thermal tape to mount the memory & VRM heat spreaders on.
Used this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYO3PK9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Also, for fan control, I got one of these to hook up to my 2x 120mm PWM fans below: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZKZEQA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the update. So, even though the Gelid heatsink mounting holes did not match the holes in the PCB, you were still able to use it by means of double-sided thermal conductive tape.

Chapeau

Gawd

That's awesome for a 1080Ti in the M1...

sparky1_2007

2[H]4U
Thanks for the update. So, even though the Gelid heatsink mounting holes did not match the holes in the PCB, you were still able to use it by means of double-sided thermal conductive tape.
I actually didn't use it all. I instead opted for a long strip of the double sided thermal tape and the heatspreaders that came with the AC acellero

I would've had to modify the gelid enhancement kit to get it to fit over the caps or whatever those are there and I didn't feel like hacking it up since I couldn't utilize the mounting holes.

Nobu

Supreme [H]ardness
I actually didn't use it all. I instead opted for a long strip of the double sided thermal tape and the heatspreaders that came with the AC acellero

I would've had to modify the gelid enhancement kit to get it to fit over the caps or whatever those are there and I didn't feel like hacking it up since I couldn't utilize the mounting holes.
The caps are the round guys (for the most part), the row of grey squares between the two rows of black squares should be chokes. Looks like that vrm design uses small surface mount caps.

Bawjaws

Limp Gawd
You can still buy them new from Amazon (at least in the UK, don't know about elsewhere in the world).

Nufenen

n00b
Does anyone know whether the Gigabyte GTX 1080 mini fits? According to this it would not fit because it is too tall, however, the Zotac GTX 1080 mini would not fit either but is listed in the compatibility spreadsheet to be compatible.

The Zotac apparently has coil whine, which is why it is not an option.

Necere

2[H]4U
Ncase M1 - TERRIBLE SUPPORT:
Must read:

Character limit reached here so couldn't post it.
Dan informed me of your situation a few days ago. Here's what I understand of it:

1. Canadian customs charged you an import fee of $101.70 CAD on a value of $550.56 for the package - much more than it should have been.

2. This was apparently the result of incorrectly using Chinese Yuan as the currency to convert from, rather than New Taiwan Dollars, as was clearly indicated in pictures of the labels you sent us ([1], [2]).

3. Canadian customs admitted that it appeared to be a mistake on their part, yet for whatever reason refused to fix it.

4. They also misclassified the package as containing "articles of leather" ([3]), which has a higher import fee than the correct classification as a PC case.

As far as I can tell, all of the available evidence points to your local Canadian customs office as being 100% at fault. Consequently, they are the ones you should seek recompense from.

Now, despite no apparent fault on our part, Dan did offer to try to help you and call Canadian customs to see if there was anything we could do. However, as he is travelling currently, he hasn't had a good opportunity.

I understand your frustration, but it seems to be misplaced; we bear no fault in this, and are under no obligation to help you in this situation. That Dan has tried to work with you to resolve the situation is beyond what is required, and your antagonism towards him/us is unwarranted.

I would also suggest to you that this does not belong on a public forum, and could have/should have been resolved in private. I don't believe, given the evidence, that publicly making accusations against us will go in your favor.

Last edited:

Necere

2[H]4U
Getting a 'your connection is not private' when hitting the store link.
Yeah, Dan needs to pay the SSL cert. Fine time for it to expire - he does business stuff over VPN, and he's in Thailand right now and getting a reliable connection can be tricky where's he's at.

wahaha360

Gawd
Ncase M1 - TERRIBLE SUPPORT:
Must read: Character limit reached here so couldn't post it.
I gave you a week of false hope - guilty and I apologize. I did try to help, just couldn't get to the answer you wanted.

I offered you a refund option if you opened the box and made sure there are no other problems. You refused.
I wanted to avoid complications *after you open the box. You demanded a refund immediately, you wanted everything your way, on your terms.

I spoke with KMPKT, who resides in Canada. When Canada Post delivered, you had to pay the absurd import fee on the spot - the high import fee should have jump out immediately. If you notify us then, the issue could have been addressed. By paying the wrong import fee, and then trying to challenge it, you have complicated the situation. Even at this point, your can still file a complaint with CBSA.

As Necere said on Reddit, We've shipped many cases to Canada over the past 4+ years and have never had an issue like this. It's also a bad precedence to clean up mistakes made by others and doing so will bankrupt us shortly.

I tried to help you on a problem not of our own doing. You antagonized over email, try to blackmail us, when that didn't work, posted on public forums to extort us. We don't respond well to being antagonized, hustled, blackmail or extorted, and technically it's not even our fault.

We extended an olive brach, you burned the bridge to the ground.

Last edited:

rasesh

Weaksauce
Dan informed me of your situation a few days ago. Here's what I understand of it:

1. Canadian customs charged you an import fee of $101.70 CAD on a value of $550.56 for the package - much more than it should have been.

2. This was apparently the result of incorrectly using Chinese Yuan as the currency to convert from, rather than New Taiwan Dollars, as was clearly indicated in pictures of the labels you sent us ([1], [2]).

3. Canadian customs admitted that it appeared to be a mistake on their part, yet for whatever reason refused to fix it.

4. They also misclassified the package as containing "articles of leather" ([3]), which has a higher import fee than the correct classification as a PC case.

As far as I can tell, all of the available evidence points to your local Canadian customs office as being 100% at fault. Consequently, they are the ones you should seek recompense from.

Now, despite no apparent fault on our part, Dan did offer to try to help you and call Canadian customs to see if there was anything we could do. However, as he is travelling currently, he hasn't had a good opportunity.

I understand your frustration, but it seems to be misplaced; we bear no fault in this, and are under no obligation to help you in this situation. That Dan has tried to work with you to resolve the situation is beyond what is required, and your antagonism towards him/us is unwarranted.

I would also suggest to you that this does not belong on a public forum, and could have/should have been resolved in private. I don't believe, given the evidence, that publicly making accusations against us will go in your favor.

3) No they didn't. You seem to not know the situation if this is what you believe and or you're trying to show people I'm at fault.

Dan was not traveling 2 weeks ago.

rasesh

Weaksauce
I gave you a week of false hope - guilty and I apologize. I did try to help, just couldn't get to the answer you wanted.

I spoke with KMPKT, who resides in Canada. When Canada Post delivered, you had to pay the absurd import fee on the spot - the high import fee should have jump out immediately. If you notify us then, the issue could have been addressed. By paying the wrong import fee, and then trying to challenge it, you have complicated the situation. Even at this point, your can still file a complaint with CBSA.

As Necere said on Reddit, We've shipped many cases to Canada over the past 4+ years and have never had an issue like this. It's also a bad precedence to clean up mistakes made by others and doing so will bankrupt us shortly.

I tried to help you on a problem not of our own doing. You antagonized over email, and posted on public forums to blackmail us - it doesn't make us want to help you or resolve any problem.
How on earth am I blackmailing you.
Why are you trying to make me out to be the bad guy?
What have I done to deserve such a nonsense accusation?
I have waited and been kept waiting despite you doing nothing which you even admitted after I pointed it out. You were not in Thailand during that time either.

You can hate on me all you want, I did everything in my power to help you & myself but all I received back were lies.

Now you blame me for blacking you which makes 0 sense.

wahaha360

Gawd
Dan was not traveling 2 weeks ago.
I have waited and been kept waiting despite you doing nothing which you even admitted after I pointed it out. You were not in Thailand during that time either.
I been traveling in Asia since JUN, I'm not in North America, so depending on the quality of my internet access, getting things done varies.

harsaphes

Supreme [H]ardness
wahaha360 Necere I think you guys should just move on from this and let it be. You're never going to make this guy see different than he believes and everyone on this forum knows you are stand up and reliable people.

rasesh

Weaksauce
I been traveling in Asia since JUN, I'm not in North America, so depending on the quality of my internet access, getting things done varies.
I tried everything on my end and we both know that.
I didn't receive any support from your end.
On top of that you tell me things will be done "this week" and instead nothing was.
I was receiving false statements and hope.

Now you have some people here believing it was customs fault.
When have I said it wasn't and it was your fault?

Customs is saying it was your fault.
As such, how on earth does that make it my opinion?

I have no opinion here except in how I was treated.

Either way, you have a-lot of support here and I seem to be the one that looks like the bad guy due to it.
It's alright though.
If you feel that I have been the bad guy despite trying to help you out every step of the way giving you whatever you wanted whenever you wanted it then so be it.

Also, I am being blamed for the motive of making Ncase look bad. This is not my intention at all, I just wanted people to know both my situation and the type of support I was receiving.
I never intended to do anything more.
I love the Ncase M1 & that's why I bought it.

I'll delete my own post as I don't want to receive any hatred. Hope "necere" & "wahaha" can do the same.
Im just a normal average guy & don't want to fight anyone. Just wanted to be treated fairly and not lied to.
Also, being blamed for blackmailing for whatever reason ... that's something I've never done & will never do in my life.
Also would like to apologize if I have hurt anyone in the process. Wasn't my intention. If I have personally hurt you let me know I'll personally apologize to you.

Again, my intention was never to hurt Ncase Rep.
Nor do I want to fight.

Thanks anyways.

Last edited:

KMPKT

n00b
Just to clarify this, you would have still had to pay brokerage fees (flat rate) and the GST/PST on the proper price to get your package, so I don't think NCase could possibly owe you 101.07 CAD. The way Canada Post calculates this is a brokerage fee based on service and parcel origin, size/weight + GST/PST based on your province of parcel receipt. From very large amounts of experience importing through Canada post they gouge for these services. I have chosen to use DHL on all of my international shipments when possible as a result.

The fairest way to calculate what NCASE owes you (if in fact they owe it to you, I'm not siding here) is to subtract the GST/PST difference between what you paid and what you would have paid were you charged customs at the actual price. The balance are fees unfortunately. Gotta keep them union lifers at Canada Post paid somehow!

rasesh

Weaksauce
Just to clarify this, you would have still had to pay brokerage fees (flat rate) and the GST/PST on the proper price to get your package, so I don't think NCase could possible owe you 101.07 CAD. The way Canada Post calculates this is a brokerage fee based on service and parce origin,l size/weight + GST/PST based on your province of parcel receipt. From very large amounts of experience importing through Canada post they gouge for these services. I have chosen to use DHL on all of my international shipments when possible as a result.

The fairest way to calculate what NCASE owes you (if in fact they owe it to you, I'm not siding here) is to subtract the GST/PST difference between what you paid and what you would have paid were you charged customs at the actual price. The balance are fees unfortunately. Gotta keep them union lifers at Canada Post paid somehow!
Canada post told me after showing them the $123 CAD value that I don't have to pay anything or barely anything at that cost.
Either way, appreciate the reply.

Rhialto

Gawd
While on that topic and living in Canada (Québec) what is the total amount I should expect this case to cost me?

$185 USD now translate to $230 CAD but what else? I just want to know and avoid a hidden fee I wasn't expecting.

rasesh

Weaksauce
While on that topic and living in Canada (Québec) what is the total amount I should expect this case to cost me?

$185 USD now translate to $230 CAD but what else? I just want to know and avoid a hidden fee I wasn't expecting.
Shouldn't be much higher then $10 unless what happened to me happens to you.
In that case customs nor ncase will give you the money back.

Last edited: