NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by wahaha360, Sep 15, 2012.

1. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

Really depends on the 600 PSU. I have a SF600 and mine is extremely quiet, but I have seen a lot of posts about excessive fan noise especially with the SF600. If you have one that is quiet I would hold on to it.

2. sparky1_2007

sparky1_2007 2[H]4U

Well, I don't have anything yet. I'd like an sfx-l for the 120mm fan, but I'm unsure about space in there with a full length card like the 1080ti

3. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

The SFX-L can cause problems with how close the modular connectors are to the GPU, if you are looking at the Silverstone 700 SFX-L that one should work pretty well since the modular connectors don't extend very far when compared to the 500 SFX-L. I like the the SF600, I also have a SF450 and it works just as well, very quiet.

Check this thread though https://hardforum.com/threads/corsair-sf600-600w-sfx-powersupply.1864645/ Seems to be roll of the dice with the SF600 on whether you get a quiet one or not.

Finally was able to find a pic, here is the clearance you have with a SFX-L.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  4. p3z

p3z n00b

Go ahead and hollow that second fan out and you'll have yourself a semi-ducting system and also gain some symmetry/balance back to your aesthetics ;).

7700K + TXP here and SF600 is plenty. My system is reasonably quiet at load and the 92mm fan from the PSU is never audible over other system fans.

5. Putz

Putz I have a custom title

running the sf600, i7 7700k 1080 4 case fans and a 34" ultrawide and under load im pulling 280-320w at the ups, peak is 350w. and that's including a 34" ultradwide rated around 80w. so thats pretty much the same difference is it was 1080ti in there instead of a 1080. the sf600 is plenty

check a power supply calculator online and i think youd be surprised, people have been overbuying PSU units for years, and while recent advances haven't made cpus and gpus a lot faster, they sure use a lot less power.

6. sparky1_2007

sparky1_2007 2[H]4U

Yeah, total power draw isn't really my main concern, it's mostly the noise and clearance. I'd like the PSU to have a 120mm fan so that way noise is low, but I would get an SF600 as long as it is pretty much silent as well.

7. Putz

i have yet to see my sf600 fan even come on lol, even doing stress tests for 15-20 minutes. maybe the side fan blowing on the back of the psu is all the air flow it needs, or it just doesn't get that hot

maybe tonight when i sit down for a few hours of gaming ill pop the side cover off for giggles and see if it comes on at all

8. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

I had to do the same thing to see if the fan on my SF600 was even working, it is so quiet I don't even hear it. Fan does spin up when gaming, very quiet and doesn't stay running for very long.

Putz likes this.
  9. Nanook

Nanook Limp Gawd

I may have posted this before - I have both the Silverstone SX-600G, and the 450w version, and neither was loud. Maybe I lucked out?

10. Smitty2k1

Smitty2k1 Gawd

Thanks for the response! I'm also using a v1 case and the 34" LG ultrawide. I've only got the 4770k and it's not OCed yet because I'm running it with a GTX 780 SuperClock. The 780 is the bottle neck in gaming performance and a Vega 56 should be drawing LESS power. The modded 450w PSU is plenty quite and powerful for my needs, so I would rather not replace it unless I have to.

Of course, I can't find a Vega56 sooooooooooo.

11. darrpara

darrpara Gawd

So, my SF600 is louder than most other fans in my system. However, take that with a grain of salt because my whole build is extremely quiet even under load because I went big air. It is kind of a first world problem because before I had an accelero and adjusted fan curves around I never knew the PSU fan was even on. My computer also sits ~2 ft away from me on top of the desk.

I think the SF600 is VERY quiet. That doesn't mean modding it with a Noctua fan wouldnt improve things ;)

12. estrangeiro14

estrangeiro14 n00b

darrpara what temps do you get in your 5820k while gaming? A few months back I was getting my cpu in the high 70's, sometimes peaking at 80/81ºC.
    We have a very similar build, minus the cooler on the gpu. I'm still using the reference cooler that comes with the card. Do you think changing to the Accelero is worth?

13. darrpara

darrpara Gawd

While gaming I really only get to about 58-60º in PUBG and lower in other games like SC2 (after 2+ hrs of play). I've noticed that tweaking my fan speeds via SpeedFan has helped combat any temp spiking. One note is that my 5820k is @4 GHz right now instead of 4.5 GHz like I originally ran it. I didn't see much if any gain and the extra noise/heat wasn't worth it.

Not sure about your setup but some differences might be that I run a 2x fan setup on my NH-C14 and also use a 92mm rear fan. Additionally (looking at your sig) I have only SSDs so I don't have heat from HDDs and I also have the second intake fan going. My GPU goes up to about 72-75ish but that is because I run my fans at a low RPM to save on noise. IMO the accelero is 100% worth it for a reference cooled card. Night and day noise difference for me.

pics here from before I added the accelero. https://imgur.com/a/5mUb9

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  14. keshley

keshley [H]Lite

The Dark Rock TF really is a fantastic cooler, just wish it was a bit more compatible. I've used mine in the M1, but it pressed against stuff in the Strix z270i. Was good for some of my older builds though. Best idle temps I've ever had were with the TF.

15. sparky1_2007

sparky1_2007 2[H]4U

Awesome. I ended up going with the SF600 to keep things on the smaller side. I might mod it with a nocuta down the road depending on how things go with it, but hopefully that won't be necessary.

16. estrangeiro14

estrangeiro14 n00b

The temps I mentioned before were while playing BF1. I know this games stress a lot the cpu, it usually had 70/80% use in all cores. Don't know if other games can cause such high cpu temps. Also, I was running the cpu stock. I might try to undervolt a bit to see if that helps.

We have some differences in our cooling, specifically in fans. I only run one in the C14 (one of the 2 that comes in the box) and one beside it (Noctua 120mm pwm, can't remember which one now).
    The 120mm fan is blowing fresh air to the hdd's and psu. The 140mm fan, I tried both ways already (getting fresh air and blowing to the cooler and board; blowing out hot air from the side of the case) and I didn't notice any difference in cpu temps (however, the right side of the case and the board, presumably, were a lot cooler). I also had one 92mm fan rear fan awhile back, installed outside of the case (didn't fit inside), and that didn't do much to reduce cpu temps.

Maybe it's the cpu lottery. I got a new 5820k this monday from Intel and I'll see if get better temps now.

17. doctorbigtime

doctorbigtime n00b

Thanks for your response.

I agree that an aquaero would be the best solution here: they are out of band, don't rely on any software, and are highly configurable. Space considerations make it impractical for me, though. So that said, my only option is to handle the cooling system through software, which is simplified and complicated by the fact that I use Linux. It's easy to set the PWM values from the command line, but I can't use aquasuite with an Aquaero LTE, or VISION.
    I have not found any published APIs or descriptions of the protocol the aqua computer products use to communicate with aquasuite. Sounds from what you say that AC is responsive to questions, maybe they will be accomodating?

So do you just have a hooked up aquaero lying around next to the case? Or was this an impulse purchase with a "i'll figure it out later" attached to it? :)

18. darrpara

darrpara Gawd

Yeah. I think when I did my testing that the additional fan gave me 2 or so degrees better CPU cooling, rear fan did about the same. Also, for reference my ambient temps are 78F/25.5C. I have the side fans to intake, the rear to exhaust and the fans on my accelero also to exhaust. This has been the best temperature setup for me so far.

19. estrangeiro14

estrangeiro14 n00b

I'll have to try to intake air from the side and add the 92mm fan again but to pull air out the case in the back. The Accelero vs reference cooler, I think that might also help to have better temps in the cpu. Gets more hot air moving out the case.

20. NorCalAthlete

NorCalAthlete n00b

21. darrpara

darrpara Gawd

2 quick points: 1) CPUs thermal throttle these days to prevent actual damage and 2) We are talking overclocked 6 core 140w TDP CPUs under full load so that will always be a cooling challenge.

I do agree though that above 75 or so is getting probably too high and a better cooling solution should be found.

22. Putz

sure if you run your CPU at 100% load looping benchmarks 24/7, but most people play games or surf, listen to music or watch TV which is a minimal load which falls into the "normal" category, people are are posting stress test temps as a worst case hot as it will get scenario, and long as thay stays below Intel/amd specs for max temp then your all good. if your CPU is sitting at 80c at idle you have a ventilation problem, heatisnk isn't installed properly, or maybe you forgot to remove the plastic film on the bottom and didn't apply thermal paste. not that id know anything about that last one.

but 65-70 isnt damaging, if your CPU is thermal throttling (bouncing off the thermal max and throttling down to cool itself off) all the time then yes that will shorten its lifespan and it will run slow

23. NorCalAthlete

NorCalAthlete n00b

Yeah if you're just posting a peak of 80 during stress testing I get that, but for instance just a few posts up someone's hitting 80 while gaming, at an 80% CPU load. That's waaaaaaay too hot in my opinion.

24. keshley

keshley [H]Lite

I run this setup, and I've never heard the fan in my SF600, regardless of air cooled or water cooled. The fan does spin though, since I have to blow dust out of it every once in a while.

25. Chapeau

Chapeau Gawd

See this.

Damage occurs at 130C wherein the processor will shut down. This is the oft quoted TJmax ...

Design max operating temperature is 80C but no damage is occurring. This is the temperature at which the processor will enact its own thermal protection measures such as reducing duty cycle and voltage to try and stay within its normal design limit.
    The design limit is there to basically ensure the product reaches it's design life in normal use. So this is absolutely fine.....

There is a lot of conjecture out there about "safe" temperatures but really, if you just read the design spec it will tell you.

The Aquaero is something that I've been planning for a long time. There is nothing that cannot fit with the aid of a Dremel... ;)

26. doctorbigtime

doctorbigtime n00b

Keep me posted, an aquaero in an M1 certainly strikes me as unprecedented. I'd love to see how you pulled it off.

27. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

With a dremel and a sledge hammer. :p

Chapeau likes this.
  28. galletabah

galletabah Limp Gawd

Sure:
    [​IMG]

Chapeau, doctorbigtime and Nobu like this.
  29. sparky1_2007

sparky1_2007 2[H]4U

My SF600 should be coming in today.... Might try and get out of work early to go assemble everything, haha

also, a terrible pic of the size difference between the Hadron & M1.

The hadron is taller, narrower & smaller length wise, but it is an inch or two taller.

Fan placement in the M1 is going to be much better

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    ghostwich likes this.
  30. Icte

Icte n00b

Is there any significant performance difference in adding a second Noctua NF-A9 PWM fan to a Noctua NH-U9S cooler inside this case? I.e. will be able to see a bigger difference in CPU temperatures than 1-2 degrees reported by different reviews of this cooler, given that the cooler is in a more cramped space?

31. Bawjaws

Bawjaws Limp Gawd

My personal experience is that adding a second fan to the U9S doesn't do a huge amount for temperatures but does allow you to run the fans at a lower speed than a single fan, considerably reducing the noise at the same temperature. If you just focus on temperatures then I'd say a second fan is probably only good for a low single-figure improvement.

32. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

The Hardon is a small case too, it is hard to believe how small the M1 is until you actually have one.

Have fun with your build, time off from work should be mandatory with a new PC to build. ;)

33. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

34. ghostwich

ghostwich [H]ard|Gawd

I agree with the size comparison - the wifey has her PC in the Hadron, and I've got an M1, and I consider the two to be night and day different.

35. Chapeau

Chapeau Gawd

Oops - guess who lost his way redoing cables.

Would someone be kind enough to post a picture of their SF600 24 pin at the end it attaches to the motherboard from end on?

It will help me see just how badly I've lost my way. o_O

36. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

You mean this?

[​IMG]

37. Chapeau

Chapeau Gawd

Exactly...

Thank you! (y)(y)
    I think you just saved my bacon.

38. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

No problem, fortunately I am not using it so was easy to get to.

Chapeau likes this.
  39. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

Pretty sure the Hadron is actually wider than the M1 as well. Check the specs - 169mm vs. 160mm. Might be the proportions of the taller case throwing off the perception of width.

40. linux.alucard

linux.alucard [H]Lite

hi guys!

Which orientation is recommended for Arctic Accelero Xtreme III ? Intake or exhaust and what is the difference in temperature?

- GTX 1070 FE
    - Noctua NF-F12 PWM
    - i7-7700K 4.5GHz@1.220v
    - Noctua NH-U9S

sorry for my bad English... :)

new foots :) https://i.imgur.com/0Q9Uyps.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017