NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

MIDIBoss

Weaksauce
Windowed M1?

Nah, it's the new PC-Q38.

AnandTech article here.
That looks nice, but it is also a little bigger than the M1. Not much, but some... Something to think about. I lucked out. I bought one and it fits snugly but directly into this little padded handbag I usually use for carrying microphones around. It's going to come in super handy for light trips with the M1. I would love to have an even smaller case, but OTOH there are so many more cooling options with something like the M1 over the even smaller ones that are available. To the PC-Q38's credit, it seems to have more GPU options and less limitations in that department.

Bawjaws

Limp Gawd
Aye, 20 litres for the Q38, which is a hefty increase on the M1. I really like the appearance of the Q38, and even though I don't like windowed cases I think they've nailed the windowed side panel. I'd be concerned about there only being two fan mounts (2 x 120mm in the roof), plus there's a lot of wasted space in front of the motherboard between the PSU and GPU... But all that said, I think this is a pretty good mass-market mITX chassis, and at £100 it's a lot cheaper than an M1.

Skott

Supreme [H]ardness
Just as a FYI if you want a windowed M1 here in the USA and cannot do the job yourself contact Performance-pc.com They can do the mod for you. You send your side panel to them and they will add the window. There is a fee of course.

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd
Aye, 20 litres for the Q38, which is a hefty increase on the M1. I really like the appearance of the Q38, and even though I don't like windowed cases I think they've nailed the windowed side panel. I'd be concerned about there only being two fan mounts (2 x 120mm in the roof), plus there's a lot of wasted space in front of the motherboard between the PSU and GPU... But all that said, I think this is a pretty good mass-market mITX chassis, and at £100 it's a lot cheaper than an M1.
They only list it as having 2X120mm top fan support but looking at the pictures both the bottom and rear have the same ventilation slots as the top. You can see 4 mounting screws on the back (unsure of size) and I haven't found a clear pic of the bottom but even if it didn't have mounting holes you could add them.

One nice thing is if you wanted to do a custom loop that rear panel would be a great place to mount a pump/res.

Bawjaws

Limp Gawd
Yeah, I saw the vents on the back but wasn't entirely sure how big a fan you might be to fit there, or how much benefit you'd get from fans on the far side panel...

rasesh

Weaksauce
Hey guys I’ve been going crazy trying to find a specific silver Ncase M1 build which had a beautiful pink under glow lighting done to it.

Anyone seen it? Link if you have.

Also, how does 1 do an under glow effect?
No lights in the inside of the case but under the case is a surrounding glow.

Thanks

Necere

2[H]4U
Hey guys I’ve been going crazy trying to find a specific silver Ncase M1 build which had a beautiful pink under glow lighting done to it.

Anyone seen it? Link if you have.

Also, how does 1 do an under glow effect?
No lights in the inside of the case but under the case is a surrounding glow.

Thanks
This one?

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd
That's a lovely setup, unfortunately he doesn't mention what type of lighting he is using.

Nathan Spears

Weaksauce
Just as a FYI if you want a windowed M1 here in the USA and cannot do the job yourself contact Performance-pc.com They can do the mod for you. You send your side panel to them and they will add the window. There is a fee of course.
I'm very interested in this. Do you know what kind of window material do they use? Is it acrylic or tempered glass? Also, do you know about how much it cost?

Nathan Spears

Weaksauce
I'm very interested in this. Do you know what kind of window material do they use? Is it acrylic or tempered glass? Also, do you know about how much it cost?
Well, to answer my own question, Performance PCs charges $69 plus shipping back. You'll have to send the panel to them first. Unfortunately, it's a bolt-on type system and it's acrylic. There was no mention if it was cell-cast acrylic or not (cell-cast is more premium than what most manufacturers put in their acrylic side window cases).

Here's a sample of the bolt-on style. The photo is from Performance PCs.

bolt on sample1.jpg

Qrash

Gawd
Well, to answer my own question, Performance PCs charges $69 plus shipping back. You'll have to send the panel to them first. Unfortunately, it's a bolt-on type system and it's acrylic. There was no mention if it was cell-cast acrylic or not (cell-cast is more premium than what most manufacturers put in their acrylic side window cases).

Here's a sample of the bolt-on style. The photo is from Performance PCs.

View attachment 38314
Thanks for doing the research and posting here. I'm sure you weren't the only person interested in this service.

rasesh

Weaksauce
Not the exact 1 but yes very similar to this 1 except you see how the LED at the bottom looks staggered? What I mean is there is space in between each light... mostly because the light is being thrown from inside of the case to the outside making it go throw the bottom grills making that staggered look.

I'd like mine to look like a glow underneath with no spaces.

I wonder how one can achieve this exactly.
I believe 1 way would be to have the light stuck underneath the outside of the case, but I wonder how it would stick there forever + how I'd be able to manage the cables.

Last edited:

Nobu

Supreme [H]ardness
DIFFUSION ACRYLIC FILTERS

You can snag one off a old lcd if you aren't using it anymore. They're sold on eBay too, and maybe Amazon, iirc.

Or, you can stick the led strip under the case with some 3m double sided tape, but you'd still have slightly uneven light because there are multiple leds. The diffusion filter takes the light and scatters and spreads it so it's even across the surface of the filter.

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd
Not the exact 1 but yes very similar to this 1 except you see how the LED at the bottom looks staggered? What I mean is there is space in between each light... mostly because the light is being thrown from inside of the case to the outside making it go throw the bottom grills making that staggered look.

I'd like mine to look like a glow underneath with no spaces.

I wonder how one can achieve this exactly.
I believe 1 way would be to have the light stuck underneath the outside of the case, but I wonder how it would stick there forever + how I'd be able to manage the cables.
Just get a couple cathode light bars. http://www.performance-pcs.com/logisys-true-color-ccfl-light-bar-20-pink.html

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd
Someone posted recently that this is not compatible with a 1080ti, but is with a 1070 or 1080. Can you confirm this?
I am curious about this too, it is listed for the 1070/1080 FE but I compared the pcb's on the 1070 and the 1080 Ti and it looks like it will cover the necessary components and the screw holes look the same.

rasesh

Weaksauce
Are you considering a B350 build? I’ve waited so long to do my build I’m now trying to decide between a i5 8600K 6-core or Ryzen 1700 B350 8-core. Decisions, decisions. ;-)
The board barely has any I/O at the back. On top of that it's rumoured that Asus hasn't really fixed the issue most am4 itx mobo's had with the vrm cooling I believe.
Hopefully they are planning on a x370 am4 itx with these issues fixed.

Boil

[H]ard|Gawd
Wonder how I can make them stick under the case properly so they don't come off unless I take them off & without damaging the case.
3M double sided tape can't even hold a strip of led's let alone a cathode bar.
Zip ties to the rescue...?!?

Chapeau

Gawd
You know... you might just get lucky. Some of the tubes already have block ends on them. Just use some 3m mounting tape and it will hold.

Anecdotally, the 3M tape is so strong, the chassis panels will start bending if you try and pull that stuff off without twisting or cutting it first!!

Reactions: Qrash
like this

Nobu

Supreme [H]ardness
Wonder how I can make them stick under the case properly so they don't come off unless I take them off & without damaging the case.
3M double sided tape can't even hold a strip of led's let alone a cathode bar.
Depends on which tape you get. Some of their stuff will rip the paint off before separating, just need to prep the surface properly before applying the tape and keep pressure for about a minute.

Edit: for removable but permanent, their heavy duty fastener is pretty good, but it's a bit thick. It's like a plastic velcro, except instead of hook-and-loop it's balls on both sides. Holds well against sheer and vertical forces, but comes right off with a bit of torque.

rasesh

Weaksauce
Depends on which tape you get. Some of their stuff will rip the paint off before separating, just need to prep the surface properly before applying the tape and keep pressure for about a minute.

Edit: for removable but permanent, their heavy duty fastener is pretty good, but it's a bit thick. It's like a plastic velcro, except instead of hook-and-loop it's balls on both sides. Holds well against sheer and vertical forces, but comes right off with a bit of torque.
You guys think 1 cathode will do right at the bottom middle of the case upside down to get the glow effect?
I think 2 cathodes might just give a massive flash light rather than a good amount of glow.
Any preference as to which cathode company is the best? I am mostly doing a black/white build with a black ncase m1 so prefer the cathode be white light.
if you guys know any "low light cathode" or less powerful yet good company which would give me a "light glow" effect rather than a massive flash light glow let me know.

Thanks!

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd
Done with my custom loop for now. Back to air.

Yeah I did the same thing a couple of months ago, so much easier not having to disassemble the loop every time I want to mess with something inside of the case.

VegaVan

n00b
Is the Dark Rock TF compatible with an Acer AM4 B350 itx board in the M1? The community compatibility spreadsheet says yes, but with modding to the mounting kit. What type of modding?

Qrash

Gawd
Done with my custom loop for now. Back to air.

Pictures like this make the M1 look cavernous. (Unfortunately, it also shows how easily the paint chips off the frame.)

Have you been holding onto that NH-C14? I know they are getting very rare now. Nice cable management and aftermarket feet. I put the same ones on my son's M1. Did you have to trim the from I/O bracket like I did to make room for the bolts?

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd
Pictures like this make the M1 look cavernous. (Unfortunately, it also shows how easily the paint chips off the frame.)

Have you been holding onto that NH-C14? I know they are getting very rare now. Nice cable management and aftermarket feet. I put the same ones on my son's M1. Did you have to trim the from I/O bracket like I did to make room for the bolts?
Yeah Qrash I have the same problem. All my exterior panels are perfect but the frame is getting really beat up.