My Far Cry 2 Quick Thoughts, AWESOME

I picked up the game yesterday but due to it crashing so often I haven't been able to play it very much.

In addition to the FOV issue, I noticed that the game is basically played in a permanent letter box. Unfortunately I didn't see a setting to disable or lessen this letterbox in the options.

Is this something I'm going to just have to live with, does it go away after a certain point, or is there a setting that I'm just missing? I hate letter boxes and don't see much reason to include them in PC games unless they're used exclusively during cut-scenes.

Sorry if this issue had already been addressed in the thread, I only read a couple pages in.

I guess I just am one of the lucky few that are having no problems with this game. I have almost no mouse lag to speak of. I have everything maxed except AA and that is still at 4. I have not had a single crash, the game always comes up full screen, and it even did the laundry for me lastnight (not really). All I'm saying is, when you don't have problems this game is very immersing and they do a great job of making it feel like your there. As far as the driving around a lot goes, yeah you do have to drive a lot but at least there is cool scenery along the way each time.

Side note, anyone find the edge of the map yet? I found one edge lastnight, when you get near it your guy passes out and when he wakes up he's back to the edge. You can keep walking and passing out but you don't get very far. Just giving you a heads up so you aren't like WTF, STFU.

Oh yeah, and I heard some bitching about the bad guys guns not getting jammed. Funny story, I cleared a camp except one bad guy left. My gun jams but he's not shooting at me. I look over at him and his gun is jammed and he's cursing it out. It was hilarious! Both of us running around jacking with our guns so we could shoot either other. Good times :)

Besides the stupid fucking cropping I am not having any issues so far. 280 GTX with all settings max at 1920x1200.

Love the game aside from the cropping.

If we took a poll in this forum, as well as console exclusive forums and other PC forums of the total amount of people who use some form of widescreen display, I would venture to guess it would be near 70% at least.

Yet Ubisoft crops the 4:3 for the widescreen, AFTER Bioshock did the same friggin thing and fans were very unpleased. It is official, the beancounters are fucking retarded

I think they were hoping the over 1 million people that bought this game were stupid and wouldn't notice. Out of the more then 1 million people that did buy this...how many do you think did notice?

I think they were hoping the over 1 million people that bought this game were stupid and wouldn't notice. Out of the more then 1 million people that did buy this...how many do you think did notice?

About 700,000. I mean WTF? Do they live in lala land where everyone walks around with their head up their ass? How can you make such a great visual game and not use WIDESCREEN?

I've also found the gold plated AK, looks like it's more reliable than normal weapons. Wonder if there are any more unique guns out there. Anyway, M79 totally rocks. Especially considering the fact that you can use it instead of not so useful pistol or smg. Though, IED's are loads of fun too :D

Did anyone complete a few weapons dealer missions and the merchants are not in the stores anymore? I don't know if this is a bug or if I need to get to a certain point in the game for them to appear again.

I've also found the gold plated AK, looks like it's more reliable than normal weapons. Wonder if there are any more unique guns out there. Anyway, M79 totally rocks. Especially considering the fact that you can use it instead of not so useful pistol or smg. Though, IED's are loads of fun too :D

Did anyone complete a few weapons dealer missions and the merchants are not in the stores anymore? I don't know if this is a bug or if I need to get to a certain point in the game for them to appear again.

yeah, I found the gold plated one too, completely by accident!

yeah, I found the gold plated one too, completely by accident!

Please give me the location. I want my Lord of War fun. :D

I saw the coolest "healing" animation last night as well. My guy ripped a bullet out of his arm with his teeth! Beats the Leatherman one hand's down.

BTW, I also have no problems at all on my laptop. Haven't had a single crash, glitch, or other issue. I am loving the game. Dead Space won't even load without crashing for me but I'm having so much fun in FC2 that I don't really care at the moment.

It definitely is not as killer as Far Cry 1 was. It is way more dumbed down for the console users. Feels like a kids game now whereas the original did not. I have been playing a few hours now.

By the way, the game runs flawlessly at 1650 x 1050 with everything maxed on my ATI HD4870 card.

I did apply the hotfix and latest drivers.

I did use the no dvd and drm removal crack right after installation and registration btw. Don't know if this helps or not but my game runs flawlessly so far.

No excuse for drm or lack of widescreen. Otherwise, pretty fun.

glad my samsung lcd has the ability to keep original aspect ratio, maybe ill just play it @ 1280x1024. :)

Most decent video card drivers allow you to alter how the video scales, fixed aspect ratio and fixed scaling should be options, irrelvent of display.

Most decent video card drivers allow you to alter how the video scales, fixed aspect ratio and fixed scaling should be options irrelvent of display.

interesting, i'll have to play around in catalyst tonight. i might run this in a 4:3 ratio to avoid the cropping issue. thanks for the infor Frostex

I completed a few dealer missions and the merchant is missing for me as well. I only visited one store, though. If no merchants appear then it is probably there to prevent someone from purchasing very good weapons early on, like you mentioned.

I'm having a blast with the flare gun. :D

Please give me the location. I want my Lord of War fun. :D

I saw the coolest "healing" animation last night as well. My guy ripped a bullet out of his arm with his teeth! Beats the Leatherman one hand's down.

BTW, I also have no problems at all on my laptop. Haven't had a single crash, glitch, or other issue. I am loving the game. Dead Space won't even load without crashing for me but I'm having so much fun in FC2 that I don't really care at the moment.

IIRC it was around S-E corner of the map. Single building, should be visible on the detailed scale map. A small road leads right to it. There's also a tape or a briefcase laying next to the gun, so the GPS should lead you to it.

edit: Or it was S-W corner. I don't exactly remember ;) A corner part anyway.

I thought my guy was going to use the syringe to heal, but instead used a knife to dig out a bullet, pretty cool I thought.

I thought my guy was going to use the syringe to heal, but instead used a knife to dig out a bullet, pretty cool I thought.

Yeah, whenever you're below the two full bar mark on your health and you have to heal, you need to perform "surgery" of sorts. You can't move while this is done, but you can when you're simply using a syrette to restore health.

did you guys listen to the first tape? i listened to it like 3 timess, its hardcore what he says, sounds like it should be in a punisher movie

gettin a bit sick of the crashing every 15-30 minutes, going to wait until they patch it, hopefuly they'll fix the mouse lag and widescreen issues in the same patch

running the game in DX9 fixed the mouse lag for me, its doesn't look that much different

By the way does anyone know the percentage the game completion is at, i think im on 54 percent at the moment, im guessing storyline completetion wont be 100 percent?

I would assume that 100% otherwise what is the point of putting a number on it at all. I guess a really long progress bar at the bottom would be easier to understand? That might be kind of cool actually.

that just doesn't make any sense.

If you accidentally bump the mouse to hard to the left or right your view will completely turn away from the road ahead. Terrible things usually ensue immediately afterwards.

No officer, I did NOT see that I was running head on into a wildebeest. Roads? Comon officer I'm in a jeep! Who needs roads? Wait wait why are you pulling out your nightstick?

By the way does anyone know the percentage the game completion is at, i think im on 54 percent at the moment, im guessing storyline completetion wont be 100 percent?

You can see what percent you're at in the menu someplace, I forget where though. Oh, I think it's when you save.

GTA doesn't have story completion at 100%.

Hit escape, then statistics. Game completion is there. I'm sure 100% is game missions, side missions, buddy missions, hidden briefcases, etc.

Yeh i know how to check what percentage i am, i was just curious what percentage was actually the story missions

After quite a few hours in the game I realized how much the driving kind of sucks. The driving in the game should be much better, every car pretty much feels the same and since you have so much friggin driving to do in the game you would think they would spend more time on it. I suppose I'm nitpicking but after a decent amount of hours played it's really REALLY old.

letting off the W key makes it stop on a dime...i dont know what handbreak really does..

Handbrake lets you slide basically. Its useful for positioning your driverside door away from enemy fire and doing 180s.

Back