• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

My Far Cry 2 Quick Thoughts, AWESOME

aFive

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
3,637
First, let me state that this game looks GOOD. Maxed out with 4XAA I can actually run it really well on the rig in my sig. The first 20 minutes of it were such a blast, it's not even funny. The whole area feels live, you feel as if though you are part of the world.

Weapons are great too,m the SMG is nice and interesting. As far as difficulty goes, not sure yet. I put it to max, and every hit seemed to have taken out 45%+ of my health, I guess it will be hard :).

Anyway, I have to run to the gym now, but anybody that is looking for an awesome sandbox shooter should give this game a go.
 
Anyway, I have to run to the gym now, but anybody that is looking for an awesome sandbox shooter that Crysis wasn't, should give this game a go.

thanks for the initial impressions aFive. unfortunately ^^^this part ensures your thread will degrade into a Crysis hate-fest.
 
Thanks for the thoughts, it's getting me psyched to boot this up after work. I have high hopes for Far Cry 2 (as I do for many of the other AAA titles coming up in the next few weeks), but tried to keep them under wraps for fear that I would be disappointed...I'm glad after reading reviews and hearing some first impressions that it's a solid title!
 
Anyone with a 8800GT tried the game yet?

i dont think this game is fully GPU dependent, since on my specs with the hot fix, i can play Far Cry 2 at Ultra High 4x AA 1280x1024 V SYNC'D at 30 frames. Even at those frames it looks very nice. But one thing i noticed is that it barely taxes the 4870 x2. My GPU usage in game usually idles around 45% no matter waht im doing, rarely going over 50%. While my processor cores are usually in the 90's and my RAM is around 1550 mb usage. So basically, my other parts are bottlenecking my GPU haha.
 
i dont think this game is fully GPU dependent, since on my specs with the hot fix, i can play Far Cry 2 at Ultra High 4x AA 1280x1024 V SYNC'D at 30 frames. Even at those frames it looks very nice. But one thing i noticed is that it barely taxes the 4870 x2. My GPU usage in game usually idles around 45% no matter waht im doing, rarely going over 50%. While my processor cores are usually in the 90's and my RAM is around 1550 mb usage. So basically, my other parts are bottlenecking my GPU haha.

what OS are you using?
 
"All-clear: You don't need a high-end PC to run Far Cry 2 at playable framerates - even the "Ultra High” Settings are far from the brutal system requirements Crysis imposes. Even with a Core 2 Duo E6600 or an Athlon 64 X2 6000+ and a Geforce 9800 GT/8800 GT or a Radeon HD 4850 you can play the highest settings." Taken from a review by some site i forgot the name of and dont care to tab back in the browser to refind
 
GRRRRR!!!!!!

I just bought this game and it wont activate. I tried like 20 times.

I called ubisoft and they took all my information then said there is a slight problem with their activation server and a number of serial keys did not get inputed.
He told me it will all be resolved within the 1/2 hour.

How hope he is not BS'ing.

now I got 30 minutes to sit here and stare at the box @_@
 
Just got this game and played through a little bit of it. Very good game so far. The only problem is that it makes my 8800gts show its age...couldn't get anything more than 35fps average at max setting :(.
 
is there a multiplayer?

also guys, comparing it to crysis is all and good but remember

Ubisoft made this one, not crytek...sooooooo ya...its going to run like i donno....Rainbow 6vegas or somthing
 
Picked up an extra pre-order copy at Gamestop just now, and read through the manual. Sounds like my kind of game, looking forward to the open ended style of gameplay. Sounds like a good mix of fps and adventure. Now I just need to skip out of work early. :)
 
While I'm playing the 360 version I assume the gameplay is the same. That being said I think the game is pretty decent, kind of reminds me of Mercenaries mixed with Grand Theft Auto combined into a FPS.

The only thing I am not digging in this game is the fact that when you leave areas, everyone respawns. The guard stations you pass through? Expect a firefight EVERY time. In a vehicle? Expect to get chased by a vehicle instantly if there is one at the post.

Other then that I'm throughly enjoying the experience.
 
I would love to play this one too guys, but I cant bring myself to support activation limits..
 
what is this hot fix everyone is talking about?

Its a set of ATI drivers with "tweaks" for Farcry

nvidia has a set of drivers out as well. from the [H] Far Cry 2 Preview:

Both NVIDIA and AMD are gearing up for this game to be a smash hit with gamers and be the next “benchmark” for video cards. In that vein both are releasing new drivers to be used for this game that improve performance. From NVIDIA we have release driver 180, specifically 180.42 which we are using in today’s testing. From AMD there is a specific Hotfix driver that has been released for FarCry 2, which we will be using for the AMD video cards. To see what our system specifications are for testing, click over to this page taking note of the specific driver versions and hardware being used.
 
While I'm playing the 360 version I assume the gameplay is the same. That being said I think the game is pretty decent, kind of reminds me of Mercenaries mixed with Grand Theft Auto combined into a FPS.

The only thing I am not digging in this game is the fact that when you leave areas, everyone respawns. The guard stations you pass through? Expect a firefight EVERY time. In a vehicle? Expect to get chased by a vehicle instantly if there is one at the post.

Other then that I'm throughly enjoying the experience.

Hey that sounds pretty cool if you ask me
 
i dont think this game is fully GPU dependent, since on my specs with the hot fix, i can play Far Cry 2 at Ultra High 4x AA 1280x1024 V SYNC'D at 30 frames. Even at those frames it looks very nice. But one thing i noticed is that it barely taxes the 4870 x2. My GPU usage in game usually idles around 45% no matter waht im doing, rarely going over 50%. While my processor cores are usually in the 90's and my RAM is around 1550 mb usage. So basically, my other parts are bottlenecking my GPU haha.

1280x1024 with a 4870X2? Are you insane? Of course it won't tax your 4870X2. Nothing will tax the 4870X2 at that resolution.
 
Picking up my copy in T-minus 4 hours and counting. Can't wait to get this home and fired up. Oh and to the people bitching about the DRM... GET THE FUCK OVER IT!

If you legitimately buy the game you get 5 freakin installs with one license. This means I play this on both my desktop and laptop LEGALLY and still have 3 more installs before I hit the limit. As long as I uninstall it i will continue to have 5 installs for the life of the damn game. I can't see the problem here.
 
As long as I uninstall it i will continue to have 5 installs for the life of the damn game. I can't see the problem here.

So you can deactivate an install? Are you sure? Can anyone confirm?
 
According to Ubisoft yes:
Some DRM points that will hopefully answer some of your questions and will clarify some misunderstandings about our DRM and SecuROM:

- You have 5 activations on 3 separate PCs.

- Uninstalling the game “refunds” an activation. This process is called “revoke”, so as long as you complete proper uninstall you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 systems.

- You can upgrade your computer as many time as you want (using our revoke system)

- Ubisoft is committed to the support of our games, and additional activations can be provided.

- Ubisoft is committed to the long term support of our games: you’ll always be able to play Far Cry 2.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1521068375/m/3981062496?r=2931023496#2931023496
 
Steam still uses SecuROM also, any word on how to deactivate those installs?
 
darn you all not working today!

lol too right. And in my case I have to wait to get home from work before I can even start downloading it, let alone play it. Why the hell don't more publishers allow preloads on Steam? :mad:

Steam still uses SecuROM also, any word on how to deactivate those installs?

I'm guessing that was part of the reason for the last Steam client update:

  • Added support for running an external process when Verifying or Deleting a game

Sounds like a hook for allowing deactivations to me.
 
Steam still uses SecuROM also, any word on how to deactivate those installs?

With steam, its tied to the user account. As far as I know, there is no activation limit. Lord knows I have reinstalled steam and all my games numerous times.
 
i dont think this game is fully GPU dependent, since on my specs with the hot fix, i can play Far Cry 2 at Ultra High 4x AA 1280x1024 V SYNC'D at 30 frames. Even at those frames it looks very nice. But one thing i noticed is that it barely taxes the 4870 x2. My GPU usage in game usually idles around 45% no matter waht im doing, rarely going over 50%. While my processor cores are usually in the 90's and my RAM is around 1550 mb usage. So basically, my other parts are bottlenecking my GPU haha.

Why'd you waste your money on a 4870x2 when you are gaming at 1280x1024?
 
All I know is I have over 40 games on Steam and I KNOW i have had to reinstall the service more than five times over my time with steam and I have never had a problem. And that was mostly due to bad HDD crashes that didnt allow me to uninstall anything. Just put a clean OS on, DL steam and start DL'ing my games (like Im doing now).
 
Back
Top