Mtro2033 Free at Nvidia Store!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you need to provide your order number? They act like they can't do anything with my product keys without an order number.

Yes, I did need to provide my order number.

You should have received an email with it.

Weird, the number in my post is Nvidia's number (I didn't call steam)

That number you gave is Digital River's "Nvidia". It's not NVidia or Steam. When I call the automated thing said thanks for calling NVidia but once you transfer (press 5) to order stuff you get forwarded to Digital River.

That number you gave is Digital River. It's not NVidia or Steam.

Ah, I assumed it was Nvidia since I pulled it off their contact us page.

EDIT: Yeah, I was going to say phone prompt also identified itself as Nvidia.

I asked to be escalated to a supervisor, the first guy tried to tell me it was a trial version.

edit: same guy picked up, said no supervisors available. Going to contact investor relations if they pull this shit again. They have violated their TOS like mentioned before.

Last edited:
The game is removed from my library, but the game was fully installed and I can still play it.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\metro 2033\metro2033.exe

[AK]Zip;1036805437 said:
The game is removed from my library, but the game was fully installed and I can still play it.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\metro 2033\metro2033.exe

I get an error when trying to run it.

I don't know what to tell you. My game works just fine. I have ever tried to restart steam, but Metro 2033 still works.

[AK]Zip;1036805457 said:
I don't know what to tell you. My game works just fine. I have ever tried to restart steam, but Metro 2033 still works.

Sure you didn't crack it? :p

I can't believe there are some that are outraged over not getting a game for free due to an obvious error. No one is going to hold them to this. It's like picking up money dropped by a Brinks truck and then being pissed when you have to give it back. Some can complain about the TOS all they want, but what is the outcome? No one is going to hire an attorney over this. Nvidia knows that. Everyone that got a cd key knew it was because of a bug, but did it to see if they'd make you "give it back", aka cancel it.

Meh, I figured that it would probably be pulled. I'm not feeling burned in the least.

I called them, spoke to the first guy. He tried to tell me that my order was invalid. I immediately asked for a supervisor and he obliged.

I spent 25 minutes holding for the supervisor. There was music and the same first guy would periodically check in to see if I was still there.

Finally, I got *one* of the supervisors(apparently). He told me there was nothing he could do because 'the system' had invalidated the orders. He went on to say that the only way I could get help would be to contact their technical support line at 1-800-797-6530.

They tried to transfer me, I heard a guy ask my name, then I was disconnected.

I called the number back myself, and there was a chime, then dead silence. No identification, nothing. I waited a minute, then hung up because I figured I had been disconnected.
I called back once more, and waited this time(3-5 minutes). A guy came on and asked my name. He took my info and asked about the problem.

I told him that I had completed my order, and activated the key on steam. I had fully downloaded, installed, and run the game. Then later, when I came home from work, the game was no longer in my library, but the files were still present, as well as the desktop and start menu icons, which took me to a steam page to buy metro 2033.

I told him about my experience with their customer support line as well.

He responded back that he'd opened a ticket and I should have a positive resolution to the problem. He asked for the key in question, as well as my order number.

I can't believe there are some that are outraged over not getting a game for free due to an obvious error. No one is going to hold them to this. It's like picking up money dropped by a Brinks truck and then being pissed when you have to give it back. Some can complain about the TOS all they want, but what is the outcome? No one is going to hire an attorney over this. Nvidia knows that. Everyone that got a cd key knew it was because of a bug, but did it to see if they'd make you "give it back", aka cancel it.

Remember the MSDN debacle? Companies (especially publicly traded companies), cannot break their TOS whenever they'd like.

Man, the shit some of you will do to save $10.

I know. 10 bucks.

I'm too lazy to read their TOS, yet I'm sure they have absolutely 100% nothing to worry about. Do people realize how unthreatening it sounds to them if you call and complain? Anyone who had the key restored is likely the benefactor of a customer service rep who is a pushover.

What is the negative outcome for Nvidia if they don't honor this? Nothing.

I'm too lazy to read their TOS, yet I'm sure they have absolutely 100% nothing to worry about. Do people realize how unthreatening it sounds to them if you call and complain? Anyone who had the key restored is likely the benefactor of a customer service rep who is a pushover.

Are you kidding me?

They are a single identifiable company that has breached contract law with who-knows-how-many parties.

Last edited:
Potential negative press. I don't anticipate any lawsuits being filed over this, class action or otherwise. Potential FTC complaints, I imagine?

In any case, no one has actually been wronged as near as I can tell, so I see no pressing need to drag NVIDIA through any mud. I suggest we all forget about it and move on.

Are you kidding me? Are you trollin', or do you really have no idea how law works?

How is what I'm saying trolling?

Please explain to me in what context someone would actually have such little shame that they'd approach an attorney with this. The filing fee alone is 35x what the game costs at retail.

All I'm saying is it was an OBVIOUS error that probably 100% of the people who took advantage of it were aware of.

Potential negative press. I don't anticipate any lawsuits being filed over this, class action or otherwise. Potential FTC complaints, I imagine?

In any case, no one has actually been wronged as near as I can tell, so I see no pressing need to drag NVIDIA through any mud. I suggest we all forget about it and move on.

Of course negative press, that is obvious. I wasn't saying that, but what consumer is going to call an attorney and try to throw around the idea of a class action based on what happened. There is obviously a class of people, but with what damage? How did this negatively impact anyone. There's no damages, at all. The game was free. No one spent $10 and then were charged another $20 because there was a pricing error. THEN people would have a definite issue.

The game was free, lmao.

How is what I'm saying trolling?

Please explain to me in what context someone would actually have such little shame that they'd approach an attorney with this. The filing fee alone is 35x what the game costs at retail.

All I'm saying is it was an OBVIOUS error that probably 100% of the people who took advantage of it were aware of.

Of course negative press, that is obvious. I wasn't saying that, but what consumer is going to call an attorney and try to throw around the idea of a class action based on what happened. There is obviously a class of people, but with what damage? How did this negatively impact anyone. There's no damages, at all. The game was free. No one spent $10 and then were charged another $20 because there was a pricing error. THEN people would have a definite issue.

The game was free, lmao.
Do you really think Digital River it allowed to take away a product that they gave to us after the fact? Especially when their TOS specifically states they cannot do this in section 1.2. This is akin to Best Buy selling you something and then forcing you to return it.

Do you really think Digital River it allowed to take away a product that they gave to us after the fact? Especially when their TOS specifically states they cannot do this in section 1.2. This is akin to Best Buy selling you something and then forcing you to return it.

No, it really isn't the same thing at all, because if Best Buy "sold" you something...you paid for it.

No, it really isn't the same thing at all, because if Best Buy "sold" you something...you paid for it.

I entered into a legal contract with them at time of purchase. Staples had sticky notes that were normally $11 free after coupon today, can they force me to return them because i didnt give them money?

personal data is worth something.

My mailman sees as much personal data listed on the faces of envelopes as Nvidia did when I submitted it, but I don't really think I have a good case against my mailman if he accidentally gives me a check intended for someone else, and then asks for it back when he realizes that it was an error.

Yes that example is ridiculous, but so is someone implying that Nvidia "broke the law."

personal data is worth something.
I agree, but the exchange of personal information would not constitute as payment for goods delivered in this case. The personal information was simply required for order processing (or at least necessary for the cart system).

My mailman sees as much personal data listed on the faces of envelopes as Nvidia did when I submitted it, but I don't really think I have a good case against my mailman if he accidentally gives me a check intended for someone else, and then asks for it back when he realizes that it was an error.

Yes that example is ridiculous, but so is someone implying that Nvidia "broke the law."

Oh don't get me wrong, I didn't think this would stand nor am i trying to get a free game after the fact. You did give them something of value though :) Facebook has proven that.

EDIT: I think what is getting most people, is that we have no idea when something should be free or not. If I remember correctly valve did give away portal for free at one point. These types of deals always get shot down before you get a key and/or receipt. In this case we got both.

So if I bought those sticky notes at staples, even if I got a receipt I did not make a purchase? I got a receipt from digital river.

This is my cue to bow out, haha.

PM me with the docket number when the case is filed so I can read the complaint :D

For anyone who has received a code from me or from this deal and has found that it is not working, ALL of the serials acquired from the nVIDIA store for free seem to have been invalidated. I will not be able to provide you with a code, neither will anyone else. Good luck to you and burn nVIDIA at the stake :p. JK.

This is fucking bullshit. Advertise a game for free on your site and then invalidate all the codes, remove the fucking games from people's steam accounts? Epitome of phishing and false advertising. Guess I wont be buying that GTX 580 after all. I'm 100% serious. Sorry nvidia. Bowing out of this round. Go to hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back