• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Mortal Kombat (2011)

I did the same thing. It isn't bad. In fact its a pretty good fighting game in general but compared to the last Mortal Kombat games they did dumb it down somewhat. The Fatalities aren't what they used to be either. They are far more tame. All in all still pretty good and the story mode was enjoyable.

Totally agree, I really enjoyed MK v DCU. Playing as The Joker was awesome :D
 
Despite the lame fatalities the game really was pretty good. The story was far fetched (even by comic book standards) but it was well executed and the integration of the two character sets was really pretty good. The story adequately explained how the Joker could fight with Scorpion or how Captain Marvel and Superman didn't just ass rape the Mortal Kombat characters. Aside from Raiden which would really be the only one who could conceivably fight anywhere near their level. The character models were excellent overall and the levels were pretty well designed and chosen. There were a few gimmicks I didn't care for such as the grab / fight mini-games in the match but they don't occur that often.

Still a pretty good game overall. Easily the most enjoyable of the 3D Mortal Kombat games I've ever played.
 
Totally agree, I really enjoyed MK v DCU. Playing as The Joker was awesome :D

The Joker definitely has one of the most amusing fatalities to feature in a Mortal Kombat game.


Still a pretty good game overall. Easily the most enjoyable of the 3D Mortal Kombat games I've ever played.

You really should give Deception another go. Better core gameplay, multiple fatalities that are actually violent, stage fatalities and amusing hara-kiri moves. Plus Puzzle Kombat is awesome. :cool:
 
This is hilarious as I too spent like 30 minutes watching every single fatality for every single MK game on youtube yesterday.
I was gonna say that:

- I was ok with the graphic style of the first 3 MK games
- MK4 looked plain terrible
- MK Deception looked very good for its time (PS2 I think?)
- MK vs DCU fatalities are obviously toned down

I bought MK vs DCU a few days ago, and I am enjoying the game a lot.
I don’t think I’ll still be playing it in 6 months, but the story mode is well done, it’s fun to play as Batman, Joker, Superman etc...

No regrets at all (well for $10.00 it would be hard lol)...
 
The Joker definitely has one of the most amusing fatalities to feature in a Mortal Kombat game.




You really should give Deception another go. Better core gameplay, multiple fatalities that are actually violent, stage fatalities and amusing hara-kiri moves. Plus Puzzle Kombat is awesome. :cool:

I vaguely recall Deception. From what i remember it was OK, but not great. I've always heard Armageddon was by far better.
 
I vaguely recall Deception. From what i remember it was OK, but not great. I've always heard Armageddon was by far better.

Armageddon's biggest draw is that it features every single MK character. It is a case of quantity over quality, however...fighters no longer have multiple fighting styles and have less number of moves and combos available. Still, there is loads of variety in terms of moves when compared to the 2D MKs. Create-a-fighter and create-a-fatality are good ideas and I would like to see improved versions of them down the track somewhere.

Deception's only weakness IMO is its choice of characters - it features a lot of new but ultimately forgettable characters and leaves out a few big names like Kano and Shang Tsung (it does feature Kabal, Smoke and Noob-Saibot, though). There is tons to love about the game though. Its Konquest mode is a charming little RPG-ish game mode - it didn't get a good rap in the reviews due to weak voice acting and graphics, but it was much better than Armageddon's button-mashing crappy rendition of the equally crappy MK: Shaolin Monks game.

Deception is definitely the deeper game, but from an old-school MK fan's point of view Armageddon is probably the better choice.
 
It'll be interesting to see how well this game sells. While it's a "back to basics" approach, MK is in a different position than Street Fighter was.
The last real SF game came out a decade ago, so they were going after both the hardcore fans, and the nostalgic people that remember the "good 'ol days."
MK on the other hand doesn't really have that same hardcore audience, it's glory days are even longer ago...but the series hasn't been on the same hiatus either. There have been MK games popping up every couple of years for pretty much every system.
Will people care or just assume it's another so-so MK game? Will the new movie help? It's gotta be better than the Legend of Chun Li :p
 
For one Domingo, fighting games don't sell nearly like they used to. The game climate has changed; but everything is cyclical anyways, so maybe this will spawn people loving beat'em ups again. I'm sure it will sell, but given what gamer(s) want right now...how well will it do so?.?. I just cannot wait myself - but being a vet, it's been too long for something this good.
 
On a related note, apparently Capcom and Namco are potentially working on 2 different variations on a C vs. N fighting game. One of them will be on the SF4 engine, while the other will be running on the Tekken 6 engine.
Pretty interesting as I have no clue how they'd implement each others characters into a game style that's very very different.
Still, I'll forever hold out hope for a King vs. Zangief match.
 
It'll be interesting to see how well this game sells. While it's a "back to basics" approach, MK is in a different position than Street Fighter was.
The last real SF game came out a decade ago, so they were going after both the hardcore fans, and the nostalgic people that remember the "good 'ol days."
MK on the other hand doesn't really have that same hardcore audience, it's glory days are even longer ago...but the series hasn't been on the same hiatus either. There have been MK games popping up every couple of years for pretty much every system.
Will people care or just assume it's another so-so MK game? Will the new movie help? It's gotta be better than the Legend of Chun Li :p

I'm gonna hazard a guess that this'll sell more to the older gamer, those that played/loved the first 3.
 
Street Fighter 4 has done a lot to renew interest in fighting games. I'm sure the new MK will do a lot better in sales than the last couple of games, and will probably do better than the bog-ordinary Tekken 6 and the flatout-awful Soul Calibur 4.

A lot of gamers will probably consider this to be the first "real" MK for a long time, so that could increase the game's profile as well.
 
I'm so glad they decided to go back to their roots with this one it looks brilliant.

I remember when i was a little kid going to the arcade learning all the fatalitys from my little MK2 pocket book i got free with a magazine lol.
 
Was MK vs DCU any good? I was under the impression it wasn't very good and that this MK was gonna follow that.
 
Was MK vs DCU any good? I was under the impression it wasn't very good and that this MK was gonna follow that.

The core gameplay isn't too bad and the game's story mode is absurd in all the right ways (mainly because it is done fairly well), but it lacks a lot of the depth of the 3D MKs before it and has a greatly reduced level of violence. It's still a better fighting game than Soul Calibur 4...

The only thing about MK vs DC that will carry over to the new one is how the characters look damaged as the fight goes on. The new MK will be ridiculously violent and back to 2D.
 
The core gameplay isn't too bad and the game's story mode is absurd in all the right ways (mainly because it is done fairly well), but it lacks a lot of the depth of the 3D MKs before it and has a greatly reduced level of violence. It's still a better fighting game than Soul Calibur 4...

The only thing about MK vs DC that will carry over to the new one is how the characters look damaged as the fight goes on. The new MK will be ridiculously violent and back to 2D.

That pretty much sums it up. Its worth a look if you can find it cheap enough.
 
The core gameplay isn't too bad and the game's story mode is absurd in all the right ways (mainly because it is done fairly well), but it lacks a lot of the depth of the 3D MKs before it and has a greatly reduced level of violence. It's still a better fighting game than Soul Calibur 4...

The only thing about MK vs DC that will carry over to the new one is how the characters look damaged as the fight goes on. The new MK will be ridiculously violent and back to 2D.

It does sum it up indeed.
I will add that I found it very fun to play with/against the DC characters.
I bought the game on 360 for $10 (used).

Don't regret it one bit. finished the story mode on both sides (unlocked Darkseid and Shao Khan).

And there is something about Superman, Batman, The Joker (so much fun in this game!!) etc... that just makes it interesting...

The violence and gore were obviously toned down because of the DC audience but still fun...

The Rage vs Breakers mechanic is interesting.
The close combat / falling combat adds a bit more variety.

I guess I'm just biased cause I paid 10 bucks for it :)
 
Now THATS's a fucking mortal kombat game! That x-ray mode is the fucking shit! I feel like i'm 14 again back in 1995, waiting in line to play the Mortal Kombat II game in the arcade, barely able to contain my excitement!. God...those were the days....

OMFG THEY BROUGHT BACK THE TREE AND ACID LEVELS FROM MK2???????? I WANT THIS GAME RIGHT>..... FUCKING....NOW!!!!
 
Last edited:
While the controls sucked, Weaponlord was a pretty gory game as well iirc.
 
The Joker definitely has one of the most amusing fatalities to feature in a Mortal Kombat game.




You really should give Deception another go. Better core gameplay, multiple fatalities that are actually violent, stage fatalities and amusing hara-kiri moves. Plus Puzzle Kombat is awesome. :cool:


That Joker fatality was gangster. I was mad they banned that from the game.
 
I vaguely recall Deception. From what i remember it was OK, but not great. I've always heard Armageddon was by far better.

I played MK Armageddon like crazy online for PS2. Reiko and Motaro were my favorites.
 
As long as it has Sub Zero's MK1 fatality where he rips the head off and the spine is dangling .. I'll be happy.
 
This game is pure nostalgia. I remember when it first hit the arcades and there were 20 foot lines of people waiting to be able to play it. Man those were good times, it was such a social event back then.

Im hoping this one will give me that same feeling, it looks very promising and Im glad Ed Boon has taken the game back to its roots for the gamers who made Mortal Kombat so popular.

Here is the newest interview with him if you havent seen it.
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-10-mortal-kombat/703768


My only complaint would be the X-Ray moves. I notice that when Sector is the victim of an x-ray attack it shows that he has bones. Sector is a Cyborg.
 
Last edited:
i like DA's complicated fighting system with all the styles and what not. I hate 3D fighters. this looks more fast paced, obvs, which isn't something I particularly enjoy. However it still looks bad ass
 
i like DA's complicated fighting system with all the styles and what not. I hate 3D fighters. this looks more fast paced, obvs, which isn't something I particularly enjoy. However it still looks bad ass

Its interesting that fighting games are one of the very few areas where the appreciation and use of 2d is still applicable. I think a lot of genres can benefit from 2d games especially back in the ps1/ps2 era when everything had to be 3d. I would take great looking 2d over so so looking 3d any day for most game types.
 
Back
Top