Mortal Kombat (2011)

Yeah, I play Tekken with my fingertips just because it's using a 4-button layout and some moves require pressing buttons together that are pretty tough to do with your thumb.
What's funny is that I tend to find circular motions easier on a pad. Stuff like quarter circles, 1/2 circles, and even 270's (spinning piledriver) I can pretty much do without fail on a pad - and quickly. However I find myself missing a lot of things with charging characters and I full on struggle to do their weird motion needed for Guile's ultra on a pad.
With a stick I can do all of the same things, but I am a little slower with some motions. Button finesse is much easier, though. Any chain attacks (Darkstalkers, Alpha 1, etc.) are MUCH easier, though.
That dude playing with his mouth is something else. He's admittedly only using 4 buttons, but is using the engine to make it work for additional attacks. That's pretty impressive.

I'm the same way. I'm actually better with the D-Pad, but I prefer the button layout of an arcade stick.

I think the SNK games are the only ones I might be worth getting a stick for. I't might just be me, but it doesn't seem to respond well to circular movements via d-pad, which that series has lots and lots of (this was one of the 2003/4 ones that was problematic, might have just been the game)

I'm surprised no one has come up with an arcade stick with a d-pad. Could be on a grip to one side.

Pretty much this.

Broly, handicapped SF4 Tourney player.

I play with a stick because it's the most comfortable for me. It's not the input it's the player.

As cool as that is he's not a top player. Only one of the big like 20 names in the US uses a pad, Inthul. Simply put, some button press or moves are not possible on a controller. On a stick you can always use all five fingers on one hand for the buttons, that's not possible on a controller. Stick VS pad, stick is better but it's not the massive difference that the buttons are. However you get far more control from arm movements than just wrist or fingers, on a stick you can move between where you control it (you can do this with a mouse as well, another reason mice are better than controllers for FPS games) and that's a large advantage.

Keep in mind some great PC gamers played with a pad, Overtoad was top in USA in UT99 and played with a logitech game pad. But that's just the same as Inthul being a higher end player and using a pad in a fighter. The vast majority are using a stick, and for very good reasons. The lesser control option is a handicap and I'll alert you that nobody, other than inthul once, has ever won anything major with a pad, and fight nights at a lan club with 20 people don't count. Pad players get crushed out ugly fast if you aren't Inthul, who's also using a player geared for a pad, fei-long, and he isn't even the best fei, the best ones uses sticks.

I'm surprised no one has come up with an arcade stick with a d-pad. Could be on a grip to one side.

They have, custom deals, and also a hit box (in which the 4 directions are buttons as well for your hand), and some people use them. But in both cases some of the more complex moves, especially in advanced combos with multiple specials, they still don't stack up to a stick.

I actually think the issue with serious players sticking to sticks is because that's what the scene dictates.

It never really has for a long time now. It's just the limitation of a pad come into play very rapidly at the upper levels. If you aren't good at the games you're not going to gain most of the benefits from it. So the better you get, the more important a stick is for what you need to pull off.

The only dictates from the scene are you pretty much slapped a neon noob sign over your head if you show up to a place with a pad.

Up until pretty recently if you wanted to compete you HAD to play in an arcade,

This hasn't been the case since the Dreamcast, way back then. The Dreamcast shared the same base hardware as the Naomi arcade. So MVC3 and CVS2 which ran on Naomi for the arcade had 100% or close to it ports on the Dreamcast. So those moved to consoles rapidly and as the competitive scene exploded there simply wasn't the ability to get enough cabs (outside of the Asian pro circut which is it's own corporate owned animal) for people to play on them, so it went all console in large events.

Now, some of the rarer more esoteric games remained arcade, but that was from private collectors who on an actual cabinet bringing it and the games were normally high stakes (20-100 buy in for the tournament) not large events.

The weekly or monthly locals are now pretty much a bunch of PS3's with CRT TV's or specific low input lag measured monitors. With a few people hauling up cabinets or superguns for the older games. It hasn't changed much from a bunch of PS2's and dreamcasts with the same people bringing in cabs.

Not sure how things are now, but at one time the Tekken community had become pretty pad-friendly.

Changed when they got smashed by Korea.

Well messing around with MK some more tonight, working on combos, I can see now that I will absolutely have to get a stick. You just can't do what you need to do with the buttons.

Well messing around with MK some more tonight, working on combos, I can see now that I will absolutely have to get a stick. You just can't do what you need to do with the buttons.

Can't tell if serious Dan?! =_=

I'd love to pick one up. I'm a picky person so for me, I'd have to go with the HRAP 3 or something similar. Button/stick response and feel are really important.

Can't tell if serious Dan?! =_=

I'd love to pick one up. I'm a picky person so for me, I'd have to go with the HRAP 3 or something similar. Button/stick response and feel are really important.

I am serious. Some of the combos are hard to do on a pad.

I think they are still pissed about the leaked DLC, plus the amount of glitches that came out in tourney play. I'd say wait for a bigger patch. Fujin and Scarlet should be in it.

Sweet. Oh, I picked up the Mortal Kombat Arcade stick. The one that comes with the Tournament Edition of the game. And I've got to say it's badass. I didn't know they were selling it separately but this thing is pretty awesome.

I'm enjoying playing MK with it.

Sweet. Oh, I picked up the Mortal Kombat Arcade stick. The one that comes with the Tournament Edition of the game. And I've got to say it's badass. I didn't know they were selling it separately but this thing is pretty awesome.

I wasn't aware they were selling the stick separate from the game either - but kudos and enjoy!

This question is for other PS3 MK players. Is it just me, or have you guys been seeing some "deeb a-hole' at random....pop-up in the right hand corner of your screen and do the gayest ever YOU WHO.

What the hell is that? It scares the crap out of me everytime he pops-up!

Last edited:
This question is for other PS3 MK players. Is it just me, or have you guys been seeing some "deeb a-hole' at random....pop-up in the right hand corner of your screen and do the gayest ever YOU WHO.

What the hell is that? It scares the crap out of me everytime he pops-up!

That's Dan "Toasty" Forden. He comes out and says "Toasty!" He says that after some combos and uppercuts.

Oh, sorry for the insult DAN.....that just scares the crap out me everytime.....I'm like 6ft away from a 40" 3D Sony TV playing MK.

I remember seeing him in the arcade version of Mortal Kombat II. I expect to see and hear him while playing MK games.

Thumbs up for this. I got the tournament edition myself because of the stick. After learning the game on the stick, trying to play on the regular Xbox controller feels absolutely awful.

Thumbs up for this. I got the tournament edition myself because of the stick. After learning the game on the stick, trying to play on the regular Xbox controller feels absolutely awful.

I like the fact that the stick is just like the American arcade Mortal Kombat games of the past. And while I played most of the game on the controller and I've only had the stick now for a few hours, I'm never going back. I'm not sure this is the ultimate stick or anything, but it feels right for this game. It's surprisingly well made. Pulling off moves, combos, and fatalities has never been easier.

I like the fact that the stick is just like the American arcade Mortal Kombat games of the past. And while I played most of the game on the controller and I've only had the stick now for a few hours, I'm never going back. I'm not sure this is the ultimate stick or anything, but it feels right for this game. It's surprisingly well made. Pulling off moves, combos, and fatalities has never been easier.

Join the club :D You gave me some flack about sticks before, now you see the light, there is no going back.

I remember you complaining a bit back about them moving around other issues, I assume you found a way around that?

Truth be told, these games are still made with the concept that you will be using a stick, hence the "stricks are to fighters what a mouse is to an FPS",it's almos always true.

I have my gripes with American parts (burn out faster and aren't as percise) but the top end of them aren't horrid. Maybe you guys could review arcade sticks? If these games come to PC (and Capcom seems set on it) it might help people navigate the waters. A happ vs happ/il vs p360 on the American side, is not the same as a Sanwa (insert model number) vs Seimetsu on the Japanese side, and that's not even getting into Euro vs Korean sticks. Or battops on jap sticks, vs bubbles on Americans, and circle vs square vs octo gates. Plus springs (hard vs soft) and buttons.

I'd say for fighters, using a pad is like only using a controller for FPS, using a bad stick is moving up to WASD with a ball mouse, and using a good one is like using a mechanical keyboard with a top end mouse. And you pay about the same price.

Join the club :D You gave me some flack about sticks before, now you see the light, there is no going back.

I remember you complaining a bit back about them moving around other issues, I assume you found a way around that?

Truth be told, these games are still made with the concept that you will be using a stick, hence the "stricks are to fighters what a mouse is to an FPS",it's almos always true.

I have my gripes with American parts (burn out faster and aren't as percise) but the top end of them aren't horrid. Maybe you guys could review arcade sticks? If these games come to PC (and Capcom seems set on it) it might help people navigate the waters. A happ vs happ/il vs p360 on the American side, is not the same as a Sanwa (insert model number) vs Seimetsu on the Japanese side, and that's not even getting into Euro vs Korean sticks. Or battops on jap sticks, vs bubbles on Americans, and circle vs square vs octo gates. Plus springs (hard vs soft) and buttons.

I'd say for fighters, using a pad is like only using a controller for FPS, using a bad stick is moving up to WASD with a ball mouse, and using a good one is like using a mechanical keyboard with a top end mouse. And you pay about the same price.

I can't speak to what Kyle will or will not go for, but I'll tell you this much. I'll definitely be covering my thoughts on arcade sticks as I learn more about them. Whether that happens in the forum or in official articles, is another matter entirely. I'll be getting more fight sticks geared for other fighting games. The Mortal Kombat arcade stick is top notch, but it's really only made for Mortal Kombat. The layout doesn't lend itself well to other fighters. I hadn't used an arcade stick since the last time I was in an arcade which was years ago. I really wish I had gotten into these previously before now as I'd have enjoyed Street Fighter and other fighting games a lot more than I did. Really I've always loved fighting games, but I had really gotten out of them as I became more of a PC gamer. Now that I'm getting back into the fighting games, I'll expand my horizons and look into MvC3, etc.The Mortal Kombat Arcade stick definitely is a throw back to the old MK games. That's for sure. I'm not saying the thing matches Japanese sticks for quality or anything else. It's world's better than the cheap arcade sticks I've seen. And for Mortal Kombat, everything about it feels right.

The Mortal Kombat stick doesn't need a table and doesn't move around. The thing is huge and has a memory foam cushion on the bottom so that it sits well in your lap without moving. A nice approach that works well for people who may not have a table in front of their TV's. I do down stairs on my big TV, but in my office / computer room I don't have the room for it.

And the best part is, I can justify buying fighting sticks as they should have XBOX 360 and PC compatibility being USB now a days.

I can't speak to what Kyle will or will not go for, but I'll tell you this much. I'll definitely be covering my thoughts on arcade sticks as I learn more about them. Whether that happens in the forum or in official articles, is another matter entirely. I'll be getting more fight sticks geared for other fighting games. The Mortal Kombat arcade stick is top notch, but it's really only made for Mortal Kombat. The layout doesn't lend itself well to other fighters. I hadn't used an arcade stick since the last time I was in an arcade which was years ago. I really wish I had gotten into these previously before now as I'd have enjoyed Street Fighter and other fighting games a lot more than I did. Really I've always loved fighting games, but I had really gotten out of them as I became more of a PC gamer. Now that I'm getting back into the fighting games, I'll expand my horizons and look into MvC3, etc.The Mortal Kombat Arcade stick definitely is a throw back to the old MK games. That's for sure. I'm not saying the thing matches Japanese sticks for quality or anything else. It's world's better than the cheap arcade sticks I've seen. And for Mortal Kombat, everything about it feels right.

The Mortal Kombat stick doesn't need a table and doesn't move around. The thing is huge and has a memory foam cushion on the bottom so that it sits well in your lap without moving. A nice approach that works well for people who may not have a table in front of their TV's. I do down stairs on my big TV, but in my office / computer room I don't have the room for it.

And the best part is, I can justify buying fighting sticks as they should have XBOX 360 and PC compatibility being USB now a days.

You tried a masstick? They are massive suckers as well, use wood, weigh a ton, use all American parts? For a while before Japanese sticks came over here, they were the only way to get a stick. Cost a fucking ton as well. Their prices have dropped though. It takes 3 months after you order to get it (they are made out of some guys house in southern Cali, it's a ghetto operation) and a bitch to repair (they directly solder the wires rather than using quick disconnects, I don't know why)

I agree, cheap sticks suck. It's one of my gripes. 99% of the shit out there is complete fucking crap and sours people on the concept of dishing out 100-150 bucks for a stick. But the top end stuff is well, great. The cheap sticks use knock off parts, the good ones don't.

Japanese parts, it's comparing an sport bike to a truck. The Japanese don't abuse their machines as much so their parts are fuck tons more sensitive and accurate. Also the inputs, combos, and speed required in some of their games is vastly beyond what MVC3, Street Fighter, and others that go popular here require. I used MASsticks up till the late PS2 era for the most part (granted with p360 sticks and convex buttons) and there were limits on what I could pull, not so with sanwa parts.

IIRC Boon stated he wanted American parts for nostalgia, and while I do not prefer them, he has a bit of a point there. http://www.arcadeshock.com/items/pro-arcade-sticks~mas~hori~/list.htm?1=1 these guys stock the massticks for American parts.

I went from Arcade to PC and back to Arcade.

currently using a sf4 arcade stick for this game and its pretty much bleh. the combos are pretty repetitive, but its still fun as hell. more bang for the buck than mvc3 with the retarded but entertaining story mode. Who wants to play online?

currently using a sf4 arcade stick for this game and its pretty much bleh. the combos are pretty repetitive, but its still fun as hell. more bang for the buck than mvc3 with the retarded but entertaining story mode. Who wants to play online?

Combos are repetitive in any fighting game :confused:

Krypt is completely cleared. Challenge tower completed. Only paid to get pass the 3xGoro's and the 3xShao Khans. Bastardo's! Now what's there to do with the coins?

I completed the story, tower, and cleared the krypt in 1 week. I'm sure someone has me beat. Good to know that I can finally play online without the need of my Kombat Pass. Too bad I'm not in town for the weekend damn it!

I completed the story, tower, and cleared the krypt in 1 week. I'm sure someone has me beat. Good to know that I can finally play online without the need of my Kombat Pass. Too bad I'm not in town for the weekend damn it!

I went through the story mode twice and the challenge tower in about 3 or 4 days with other work still going on. I played the crap out of this game when it first came out.

Wow I'm getting bad lag with this game. Hope it improves soon.

Online I noticed some fairly bad lag here and there. Not as bad as what I saw with Street Fighter IV / Super Street Fighter IV, but bad none the less.

Back