More DLSS...

Hm, on Epic it just added a whole new game to my library of games specifically called Enhanced Edition.
It basically redownloaded the entire game it seems (over 60GB). The nvngx_dlss.dll from R6S worked great. At the "quality" DLSS preset, there were no visible ghosting/trailing that I typically saw in prior DLSS games. Some magical unicorn dust they worked into it this time.

Restarted the game so I could get to a contrasty outdoors area with fine geometry that's silhouetted against the background/skybox, which has been where DLSS's shortcoming have been most glaring, in my experience. I'll take some comparison video in a moment for anyone curious.

Last edited:
It basically redownloaded the entire game it seems (over 60GB). The nvngx_dlss.dll from R6S worked great. At the "quality" DLSS preset, there were no visible ghosting/trailing that I typically saw in prior DLSS games. Some magical unicorn dust they worked into it this time.

Restarted the game so I could get to a contrasty outdoors area with fine geometry that's silhouetted against the background/skybox, which has been where DLSS's shortcoming have been more glaring, in my experience. I'll take some comparison video in a moment for anyone curious.
This is expected, its a whole new version of the game, not just a setting in the original game.

There should be no modification you need to do to enable DLSS.

YouTube is still processing the video, so this is about as clear as mud at the moment, but should sharpen up when the 1440P render is complete. Edit: Render is done but YouTube compression artifacts aren't doing this comparison any favors...

Here's a still frame comparison while that's still processing.
MetroDLSS.png

Last edited:
It's almost impossible to see in a video. Might be a good idea to just take a screenshot while the game is running to compare.

Lol I thought the trails were part of the game...:ROFLMAO:

So to use 2.2 all it takes is to simply replace the dll file?

If 2.2 is nothing more than a simple dll that improves quality then why didn't the games that have 2.0/2.1 get an official update?

If 2.2 is nothing more than a simple dll that improves quality then why didn't the games that have 2.0/2.1 get an official update?
Maybe they will, or the devs are finishing other stuff and want to roll it into the next patch.

Dang, DLSS is progressing rapidly. I'm interested to see what comes next.
2.3... :D

More games and we need these games to always keep pushing the newest version since after 2.0 its apparently nothing more than a simple update.

Yep and it's integrated into virtually every major engine already. Title count is climbing...
Yes. Slowly.
It isn't like AA that is just enabled, and it does not work with every style of game. It is boutique and of very high quality. Not a check-mark in the settings.

I don't think all DLSS 2.0 games were updated to 2.1...so the same will probably happen with 2.1 to 2.2

Yep and it's integrated into virtually every major engine already. Title count is climbing...

Yeah, they've been saying the title count is climbing since 2018 and look where we are...All the way through that generation of cards, and halfway through the next with pitiful support across the board.

Can’t wait to see how well your 6900xt handles it

You do realize that AMD is in both consoles right? So game developers are likely going to bake in Fidelity FX "Gaming Super Resolution" whatever they call it. Microsoft has already said it's coming to Xbox with PS5 likely right behind. It's open source and multi-platform. Even if it's not as good (which is likely), it's still going to be in more places than DLSS.

More to the point, DLSS is more likely to go the way of PhysX due to the proprietary nature of it than be in every game even if it is supported by the game engine.

Can’t wait to see how well your 6800xt handles it
Okay, you got me there. I did look at benchmarks, and AMD has great performance on Death Stranding without ray tracing. Like 200+ fps. And FSR may come through.

But I had to make a choice, and I would prefer high refresh (160Hz) with crisp native render, then dealing with the growing pains on ray tracing right now.

Ray tracing is great and is definitely the future, but I understand people have different priorities. Some want 4K, some want ultrawide, some are on 1080p or high refresh for smoothest gameplay.

It's a trade-off. I personally thought DLSS looked great, but some people here couldn't stand the artifacts. So you make a compromise either way.

Okay, you got me there. I did look at benchmarks, and AMD has great performance on Death Stranding without ray tracing. Like 200+ fps. And FSR may come through.

But I had to make a choice, and I would prefer high refresh (160Hz) with crisp native render, then dealing with the growing pains on ray tracing right now.

Ray tracing is great and is definitely the future, but I understand people have different priorities. Some want 4K, some want ultrawide, some are on 1080p or high refresh for smoothest gameplay.

It's a trade-off. I personally thought DLSS looked great, but some people here couldn't stand the artifacts. So you make a compromise either way.
I think Kirby missed the joke. I wanted a 6800xt same as you, but those scalpers :(

I think Nvidia is great with their R&D, they come up with so much great technology that unfortunately gets held back by questionable business decisions.

DLSS came out of left field, and had a rocky start, but it really is amazing. However, without an open standard it will likely die like so many other things (PhysX especially).

Yes. Slowly.
It isn't like AA that is just enabled, and it does not work with every style of game. It is boutique and of very high quality. Not a check-mark in the settings.
Unreal and unity (50 percent of new releases use unity, believe it or not, it's a big deal) have it as a plug in, it's virtually effortless. For AAA devs, most have shipped games with it already now, so it's in their pipelines for their engines like frostbite.

You vastly over estimate the difficulty at this point, the hard work has already been done. Dlss is about to be in most every new release of major games. Keep in mind, it's not all about quantity but more about what demanding and major games that people actually play it's in.

Source : I work in the game dev industry.

Last edited:
Best I have seen so far using new DLL and Metro Exodus Enhance Edition. Just watching motion in the benchmark, to me DLSS Quality at 1440p has cleaner edges, sharper more defined plants, brush, tree limbs, leaves than native. Only saw a few crawling textures with DLSS, minor in this case. Performance w/o to w Quality DLSS went from 60fps to 78fps (1440p, Shading Qlty Extreme, RT - Ultra, Reflections Raytraced, VRS - 1x, Hariworks - Off, Adv PhysX - Off, Tesselation Full) RTX 3090. Will look at this more in depth once I play it, next game on my list.

Last edited:
Unreal and unity (50 percent of new releases use unity, believe it or not, it's a big deal) have it as a plug in, it's virtually effortless. For AAA devs, most have shipped games with it already now, so it's in their pipelines for their engines like frostbite.

You vastly over estimate the difficulty at this point, the hard work has already been done. Dlss is about to be in most every new release of major games. Keep in mind, it's not all about quantity but more about what demanding and major games that people actually play it's in.

Source : I work in the game dev industry.
If it is effortless then why not quantity?

I've read that games such as MS Flight Simulator or No Mans Sky are not candidates for this tech.

If it is effortless then why not quantity?

I've read that games such as MS Flight Simulator or No Mans Sky are not candidates for this tech.
Ms flight Sim is dx11, which isn't the right dx version to use it (req's dx12). No man's sky is much older and not a demanding game, in addition to not being dx12.

I use effortless as a relative term. It will definitely hit in quantity for demanding games as time goes. You don't need it for minesweeper if you get what I mean :).

Ms flight Sim is dx11, which isn't the right dx version to use it (req's dx12). No man's sky is much older and not a demanding game, in addition to not being dx12.

I use effortless as a relative term. It will definitely hit in quantity for demanding games as time goes. You don't need it for minesweeper if you get what I mean :).
What? No Man's Sky already has DLSS.

News to me... EDIT: It got it a couple of weeks ago apparently. Dlss now supports vulkan!
Yes it will also be in Doom Eternal at the end of the month. It is also coming to Red Dead Redemption 2 very soon but not sure if it is only DX12 for it.

DLSS is very quickly being adapted to many new high profile titles. Doom Eternal really doesn't need it, but it's still getting it.

DOOM doesn't need it if you have a well-matched GPU and resolution, but if you're running like a 2060S and want to hit 4k, this may get you there.

Yes it will also be in Doom Eternal at the end of the month. It is also coming to Red Dead Redemption 2 very soon but not sure if it is only DX12 for it.
Doom Eternal is getting RT, so DLSS maybe needed even for the fastest cards. Looking forward to that version.

not to sound like a complete nubtard but were would i place this dll would it be in the games folders for each game that has DLSS implemented in them?

not to sound like a complete nubtard but were would i place this dll would it be in the games folders for each game that has DLSS implemented in them?
The same place as the game has it, just do a search in the game folder, seems to work for Metro Exodus, have not tried any other game. I just renamed the game version with an added OLD and then copy the newer version in the same place.

Back