Microsoft Adding Ultimate Performance Mode to Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
The latest Windows 10 preview build for Pro for Workstations includes a new mode called Ultimate Performance Mode. Supposedly it will eliminate latencies and give you a boost of raw speed. I guess the rest of us plebes that run regular Pro or Home are left out in the cold on this one. If you are a Windows Insider let us know what you think of the new mode.

As the name implies, this is a step up for people for whom even the High Performance mode isn't enough -- it throws power management out the window to eliminate "micro-latencies" and boost raw speed. You can set it yourself, but PC makers will have the option of shipping systems with the feature turned on.

I think most of us can manually flip the underling flags ourselves to replicate this mode.

That's nice, but how about instead Microsoft stops it's insane practice of granting itself in Windows 10 the right to access and download our personal files, photo's, emails, private messages, browsing history, etc selling the data and sharing it with the government at it's discretion. This is a feature I would get excited about and even pay extra for (though the idea of paying extra for something Microsoft did freely from Windows 1.0 to 8.1 is messed up).

MicrosoftNSA.jpg

Feel the power.
You'd think they'd start with a rewrite of the operating system, optimizing and scrubbing old code.
Can they grant yahoomail some of that "ultimate" mode, some days it feels like slow dialup.;)

Or I could continue using Linux because I already have this level of control... Windows always trying to copy Linux. Just look at OGL GUIs, tab completion CLIs, and so much more.

Huh, so it'll peg my CPU at max at all times to win some latency.. you can do that today but why?
On a competitive gaming rig, MAYBE. But my overclocked machine sucks too much power at full load to be running that all the time, just to gain that little bit of latency.

Plus, Skylake+ already lowered the latency for dynamic CPU speed. This is a good article about it: https://www.anandtech.com/show/9751/examining-intel-skylake-speed-shift-more-responsive-processors

Kaby Lake improved on it: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1095...ration-kaby-lake-i7-7700k-i5-7600k-i3-7350k/3

Perhaps the effect of this Windows change is more visible on older Intel CPUs, or perhaps AMD CPUs (I don't know how fast/slow AMD is in dynamic CPU speed handling.)

Any guesses on what tests to run for this if I wanted to see if it made a difference? I don't know that I do anything hardcore enough to really need it. But insiders gotta inside.

Seeing that going from balanced to high performance mode (with with no core parkingin both modes) showed absolutely no gains in my benchmarks over both AMD and Intel based systems of different generations in 20+ benchmarks...
I am having a hard time seeing the benefits of this

for Workstations - good.

I do not see the High Performance mode on 2-in-1s, but you can still manually add it back.

That's nice, but how about instead Microsoft stops it's insane practice of granting itself in Windows 10 the right to access and download our personal files, photo's, emails, private messages, browsing history, etc selling the data and sharing it with the government at it's discretion. This is a feature I would get excited about and even pay extra for (though the idea of paying extra for something Microsoft did freely from Windows 1.0 to 8.1 is messed up).

MicrosoftNSA.jpg

Says the guy posting this from an android phone

Or an apple...

Says the guy posting this from an android phone

Or an apple...

What device I used to post my comment is irrelevant. What you quoted me saying is the truth laid bare.

Android and Apple both capture data and sell it for profit but their TOS is no where near as Orwellian and all encompassing as Microsoft's. Not even close....

Whatever. I'm not anti Win10, really. But I cringe at every update, will it be borked this time?

Cut the bullshit and give us a telemetry off "mode".

If you already own a valid Windows 10 Pro License you could supplement a modified version that doesn't have telemetry, Cortana and a ton of other worthless Windows 10 bloat.

I want to be careful here and stress I am not suggesting piracy at all. You need to have a valid Windows 10 key.

Do a search for Windows 10 lite V4 or V5 or V6.

2.15 GB file size

Features:

Lite Edition Is faster
Lite Edition Better Perfomance
Lite Edition Better Boot Time
Lite Edition Smaller Size ISO
Lite Edition Fast Installation

Items Removed:

Removed: Microsoft | volsnap.inf
Removed: 3DBuilder
Removed: Accessibility tools
Removed: Advertising.Xaml
Removed: Auto-Rotation Manager
Removed: AutoPlay
Removed: BingWeather
Removed: BioEnrollment
Removed: Cache and temp files
Removed: Contact Data
Removed: ContactSupport
Removed: ContentDeliveryManager
Removed: Cortana
Removed: CortanaListenUIApp
Removed: DesktopAppInstaller
Removed: DVD Play
Removed: Ease Of Access Themes
Removed: Kernel Debugging
Removed: LockApp
Removed: Manifest Backup (WinSxS\Backup)
Removed: Manual Setup
Removed: Messaging
Removed: Microsoft3DViewer
Removed: MicrosoftEdge
Removed: MicrosoftOfficeHub
Removed: MicrosoftSolitaireCollection
Removed: MicrosoftStickyNotes
Removed: MiracastView
Removed: NET.Native.Framework.1.3
Removed: NET.Native.Runtime.1.3
Removed: NET.Native.Runtime.1.4
Removed: Office.OneNote
Removed: On-Screen Keyboard (Accessibility tools)
Removed: OneConnect
Removed: OneDrive
Removed: Other Themes
Removed: Paint 3D
Removed: People
Removed: Photos
Removed: PlayReady
Removed: Retail Demo Content
Removed: Screensavers
Removed: Setting Sync
Removed: Shared PC mode
Removed: Skype ORTC
Removed: SkypeApp
Removed: SmartScreen
Removed: Sound Themes
Removed: Sounds (Default)
Removed: Speech TTS
Removed: Steps Recorder
Removed: StorePurchaseApp
Removed: System Restore
Removed: Text prediction
Removed: Tablet PC
Removed: On-Screen Keyboard (Tablet PC)
Removed: Tips (Get Started)
Removed: Unified Telemetry Client (Asimov)
Removed: User Data Access
Removed: User Data Storage
Removed: VCLibs.140.00
Removed: Volume Shadow Copy
Removed: Wallet
Removed: WindowPicker
Removed: Windows Backup
Removed: Block Level Backup Service Engine
Removed: Windows Biometric Service
Removed: Windows Disc Image Burning Tool
Removed: Windows Error Reporting
Removed: Windows Insider Hub
Removed: Windows Mixed Reality
Removed: Windows Recovery
Removed: Windows System Assessment Tool (WinSAT)
Removed: WindowsAlarms
Removed: WindowsCalculator
Removed: WindowsCamera
Removed: windowscommunicationsapps
Removed: WindowsFeedbackHub
Removed: WindowsMaps
Removed: WindowsSoundRecorder
Removed: WindowsStore
Removed: Xbox App
Removed: XboxGameCallableUI
Removed: XboxGameOverlay
Removed: XboxIdentityProvider
Removed: XboxSpeechToTextOverlay
Removed: ZuneMusic
Removed: ZuneVideo
Removed: Speech Recognition
Removed: Tablet PC

This also installs in around 45 seconds to 1 minute or so thanks to it's reduced size. I can also confirm it performs much better than a traditional Windows 10 Pro install.

SixFootDuo thanks, Windows 10 Lite sounds like another good option and I'll test it out. Looking over that list I can confirm MSMG Toolkit is able to remove 100% of that list, but I think the ISO it creates is around 3GB once it's repacked.

Some people may be averse to installing a premade ISO from an unknown (to them) third party, and for them MSMG Toolkit is ideal because you can "roll your own" by starting with the official 10 Pro ISO from Microsoft and then removing everything from that.

In any case, more options are good.

Back