Metro: Exodus

One of the coolest aspects of this game is how the game world is presented to the player, and each of the large maps that the train will bring you to basically feels like Ravenholm from HL2.. But even bigger.

The big terminal from my screen shot above is the perfect example of almost like a high quality FPS map within the larger game world map. You have these massive, sprawling, set pieces for one particular bit of story that are very well designed and have a lot of effort put into it. Instead of just having you run through corridors that attach these things though.. You're moving through a larger game world to get to them, and they are elements of the larger world that make sense.

Also, unlike many open world games where you just enter a door and a new level loads, It's all part of the larger well crafted map, with no loading screens.

This game really is brilliant, and in a lot of ways it feels like i'm playing what I kind of imagined Half-Life 3 would have been like if it ever would have come out.

The attention to detail with everything really is brilliant as well. Even small things like how during night time the flying devil monsters will hang like bats where ever they want, and you can just barely make out their dark silhouette. They aren't just hanging there like static objects either, the animations are just so outstanding.

I definitely have been keeping tabs on this. Epic Store controversies notwithstanding the only two questions I have that keep me on the fence are these:

1.) Epic Store security issues? (I kept hearing about this)

2.) I know how these games can be... how buggy and janky are we really talking about here? ;)

I definitely have been keeping tabs on this. Epic Store controversies notwithstanding the only two questions I have that keep me on the fence are these:

2.) I know how these games can be... how buggy and janky are we really talking about here? ;)

buy it!...if you liked the previous Metro games then you'll love Exodus...the graphics are on another level and now we get out of the dark tunnels and into the open world...Epic had some security breach last year but they fixed it...every platform is vulnerable so don't let that deter you...I didn't store my payment information when buying the game on Epic just to play it safe...as far as bugs...yes the game has them but it's in much better shape then 2033 launched...I had some DX12 crashes but after switching to DX11 it's been smooth sailing

I'm not going to lie, part of me wants to buy an rtx 2080 ti just for this game. Of course it would have the extra performance in other games.

I've had no problems with stuttering, playing on 8700k @ 4.8 ghz, Gigabyte Auros 1080ti, 16 gig 3200mhz DDR4

I'm not going to lie, part of me wants to buy an rtx 2080 ti just for this game. Of course it would have the extra performance in other games.

GO for it! get the 2080ti and let us know what you think, this is H and we live on the bleeding edge. I have a 1080ti and I'm also thinking of buying a 2080ti for this game. The only thing holding me back was all the failed cards that Kyle and other had.

Freakin' giant Shrimp man. Leave my damn row boat ALONE!!

Seriously, we need a way to counter the Shrimp and flying "demons" while rowing. This having to hold a button down to leave the rowing mechanic while getting bombarded by poison and flying enemies is irritating. I use more medkits rowing from shore to shore than I do during the rest of the game. And we don't find medkits anymore, we have to craft them all? Good thing I'm a completionist.

Okay, enough whining. Use your Binoculars people, and stop when you hear a click. You get a short focusing animation and then it marks a location on your map. Useful in these 'no hud' games. Also, those buildings on the outskirts of the map that you haven't been paying attention to because you assumed you couldn't get to them. Look again. If there looks to be a sketchy path, than there is probably some good loot out there. Stuff you'll probably get eventually, but could have it a lot earlier with a little effort.

Freakin' giant Shrimp man. Leave my damn row boat ALONE!!

Seriously, we need a way to counter the Shrimp and flying "demons" while rowing. This having to hold a button down to leave the rowing mechanic while getting bombarded by poison and flying enemies is irritating. I use more medkits rowing from shore to shore than I do during the rest of the game. And we don't find medkits anymore, we have to craft them all? Good thing I'm a completionist.

Okay, enough whining. Use your Binoculars people, and stop when you hear a click. You get a short focusing animation and then it marks a location on your map. Useful in these 'no hud' games. Also, those buildings on the outskirts of the map that you haven't been paying attention to because you assumed you couldnt get to them. Look again. If there looks to be a sketchy path, than there is probably some good loot out there. Stuff you'll probably get eventually, but could have it a lot earlier with a little effort.

Lol! Damn I remember those fucking shrimp from Last Light, I hated that part of the game.

The guy is an idiot. He's literally complaining that they spent too much time on the details.

Literally makes no sense. This is why, for me, the game is so good. It doesn't matter where you look, there are tiny great details that make the game world feel alive.

Definitively on my list... just waiting for bugs to be ironed out... this will finally unlock the full potential of my 2080 Ti!

The guy is an idiot. He's literally complaining that they spent too much time on the details.

Literally makes no sense. This is why, for me, the game is so good. It doesn't matter where you look, there are tiny great details that make the game world feel alive.

i think its a great video. he acknowledges that the game is well made and seems kinda sad that he didnt enjoy it. he doesnt say its a terrible game.

ive had games like that before, games everyone loved but couldnt enjoy myself. it just comes down to personal preference. nothing wrong with having an opinion.

Well I decided that RTX + DLSS is not that bad while playing in 4K so let me have it then ,that crappy blurry mess LOL.
EDIT: Added png files for clarity
Metro-Exodus-4-K-RTX-High-Off-DLSS-Off.png

Metro-Exodus-4-K-RTX-High-On-DLSS-Off.png

Metro-Exodus-4-K-RTX-High-On-DLSS-On.png

Metro-RTX.gif

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Metro4-K-Compare.gif
    Metro4-K-Compare.gif
    1.9 MB · Views: 135
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Well I decided that RTX + DLSS is not that bad while playing in 4K so let me have it then ,that crappy blurry mess LOL

from those screenshots I think it looks best with RTX On and DLSS Off...the wooden boxes, wooden fence, weapon all look more sharp to me with DLSS Off...DLSS blurs everything, not just in your screenshots but others I've seen online

It's a corridor shooter, oldschool, I didn't notice jankiness, but it did crash twice in an hour. And it's quite slow paced, if I want to be flattering to the game I'd say more realistic.

Honestly I enjoy New Dawn much more than this. And it cost half of this. I know I said I'm not going to buy either, but FC was too cheap to pass up, and the hype made me buy this, but I'm regretting it already.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
from those screenshots I think it looks best with RTX On and DLSS Off...the wooden boxes, wooden fence, weapon all look more sharp to me with DLSS Off...DLSS blurs everything, not just in your screenshots but others I've seen online

You have to keep in mind that while DLSS adds some blur, it also boosts frame rates by a substantial amount.

It isn't really telling the full story comparing DLSS on/off. You need to compare to screenshots of DLSS being ON, and shader scaling set to like 60-70%. This brings the framerates on par with each other, and when i've done this I prefer DLSS because you loose detail in distance objects along with some blurring when using shader scaling versus the texture bluring from DLSS.

It's a corridor shooter, oldschool, I didn't notice jankiness, but it did crash twice in an hour. And it's quite slow paced, if I want to be flattering to the game I'd say more realistic.

Honestly I enjoy New Dawn much more than this. And it cost half of this. I know I said I'm not going to buy either, but FC was too cheap to pass up, and the hype made me buy this, but I'm regretting it already.

This game is only a corridor shooter when you go inside of buildings, or during the very scripted portions of the game. When you are out in the big maps it's not a corridor shooter at all.

I would suggest playing further into the game, because it seems to me you haven't made it out of the intro of the game.

You have to keep in mind that while DLSS adds some blur, it also boosts frame rates by a substantial amount.

It isn't really telling the full story comparing DLSS on/off. You need to compare to screenshots of DLSS being ON, and shader scaling set to like 60-70%. This brings the framerates on par with each other, and when i've done this I prefer DLSS because you loose detail in distance objects along with some blurring when using shader scaling versus the texture bluring from DLSS.

that's the problem with DLSS now...it seems like the only reason it exists is to alleviate the major performance hit from RTX...

This game is only a corridor shooter when you go inside of buildings, or during the very scripted portions of the game. When you are out in the big maps it's not a corridor shooter at all.

I would suggest playing further into the game, because it seems to me you haven't made it out of the intro of the game.
I'm already on the train, if It's still the intro then it's the longest damned intro ever. So far every portion of the game was very scripted.

I'm already on the train, if It's still the intro then it's the longest damned intro ever. So far every portion of the game was very scripted.

Yes, the intro is quite long. I personally enjoyed it as it sets the story up. As stated though, the game as a whole is NOT a corridor shooter. There are corridor shooter/scripted portions, but that isn't the full game.

The flow of the game is basically big story event -> open map -> big story event -> new open map -> etc.

You can't judge the game fully if you haven't even made it to the first open area.

Yes, the intro is quite long. I personally enjoyed it as it sets the story up. As stated though, the game as a whole is NOT a corridor shooter. There are corridor shooter/scripted portions, but that isn't the full game.

The flow of the game is basically big story event -> open map -> big story event -> new open map -> etc.

You can't judge the game fully if you haven't even made it to the first open area.
What is the first open area?

Many of the previews / reviews mentioned the long intro. Personally I liked it, but Im a returning fan of the series and enjoyed the setup. Even when you do get to the open areas, this game tends to favor stealth & slower more methodical gameplay. This is not everyone's cup of tea. As mentioned, I'd see what the open area is like before I made my final decision, but you like what you like, no one is faulting you for that.

Many of the previews / reviews mentioned the long intro. Personally I liked it, but Im a returning fan of the series and enjoyed the setup. Even when you do get to the open areas, this game tends to favor stealth & slower more methodical gameplay. This is not everyone's cup of tea. As mentioned, I'd see what the open area is like before I made my final decision, but you like what you like, no one is faulting you for that.
No need to be defensive. I just said it is a corridor shooter, which it is up to the point I'm at. It doesn't automatically make it bad, but it does start with a lower base score due to that.

I'm guessing you watched the first 5 minutes and then didn't bother with the rest. He explains why too much detail can be a problem (ala RDR2).

Yea I also watched the video, and I have to disagree. That is a HUGE reason I love it, the attention to detail....I keep looking around and exploring everything. Sure its not as open like Fallout 4, but thats OK by me....They really did a damn good job on this game. Now I am only in the Urals and just now got the extra train car, but I am loving the game.

Really digging the day/night cycle.....So much to love about this game, but I am bias as I am a huge fan of the series

No need to be defensive. I just said it is a corridor shooter, which it is up to the point I'm at. It doesn't automatically make it bad, but it does start with a lower base score due to that.

I had to reread my comment to see what part could have come across as defensive... but I'm still at a loss. What did I say that struck you as defensive?

That video shows just how impressive Ray Tracing is in this game. It is certainly one of the better showcases of it.

this is definitely the showcase ray-tracing title...but what other major games are coming out with RTX support?...Battlefield V had disappointing RTX with only reflections, Hitman 2 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider still haven't gotten promised RTX support...the only big upcoming title I see is that new game from Remedy- Control...

this is definitely the showcase ray-tracing title...but what other major games are coming out with RTX support?...Battlefield V had disappointing RTX with only reflections, Hitman 2 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider still haven't gotten promised RTX support...the only big upcoming title I see is that new game from Remedy- Control...

Hitman 2 is only getting DLSS, no ray-tracing. Assuming it ever appears. Outside of Control I'd say Mechwarrior V is the only other game of note with announced ray-tracing support.

hey, did they just add another graphics feature to the latest PC game releases that adds a fine shadow line in certain places to accent the imagery? But you will need the up coming GTX 3080 Ti @ $3k to take advantage of this feature you will NEVER notice while game playing

I had to reread my comment to see what part could have come across as defensive... but I'm still at a loss. What did I say that struck you as defensive?
Hm, how about the bit where you immediately jumped to the conclusion, that my criticism is not valid because the game is not for me? By that definition no game should be criticized because if you don't like something about it then it is "not for you". I know those weren't the exact words you used, but that is the implied meaning isn't it?

So far it sounds like vintage Metro all told.

The "slow start" is fairly typical so should I jump on board before long which I'm softly leaning towards I'll understand that. It really seems like DX12 just still brings extra instability to the table every time it comes up.

Overall *so far* this thread and a few other spots I'm watching has a distinct lack of egregious complaints and tech bugaboo issues being mentioned here in the early goings which is potentially promising and especially for one of these.

one of the things I really like about Exodus is that stealth and non-lethal playthroughs are handled much better then Last Light...2033 was built for stealth but you could also play as a straight shooter...Last Light had an option for Survival or Spartan (run-and-gun) but the game was meant to be played in Spartan mode and playing in Survival didn't feel right...the game mechanics and levels didn't support Survival well

Back