Mechanical Keyboard Guide

I hope yours doesn't suffer the same problem that mine had. About after a month of use the case became extremely creaky and the spacebar began to stick from time to time. I went through 2 of them (browns) and both had the same exact problem.

I hope not. I really like this board for gaming though, it gives me very solid keys strokes.
I've never tried blues, so I may get a another Filco Ninja for that.

I just got the monoprice kb with the cherry black switches. So far I love it. The board is very sturdy, soft matte black coating on the outside, and the rest is nice feature.

I definitely like the blacks more than the reds. I like the additional force needed to depress the keys since with the Rosewill board I had with reds I'd find myself accidentally hitting other keys because of how light the stroke was...
I thought I would feel the same way, since I too occasionally make errant keypresses while gaming due to the light stroke. I picked up a monoprice black and messed around a bit with it to get a feel, but I have to say: playing a MP game like BF3, the blacks are just too stiff. the lightness of the reds definitely improves gaming (IMO) in shooters especially strafing. I didn't notice it while playing Just Cause 2, but the second I switched to BF3 I felt weighed down by the higher force of the blacks. Its not a total loss, the black is as good or better to type on and the build quality is acceptable, if not up to the standards of my K90 (though it does have all mechanical switches) so it will be perfect to bring to work.

i've just went to test the this model in a shop in Singapore . . . .

many features . . . . althought i didn't have enough time to explore the whole keyboard settings if was fun . . .

can customize the wasd keys, they are transparent.
the ducky keyboards has 4 levels of brightness for the LED keys , the whole keyboard can be illuminated in different ways ,can also be light up like a disco based on a music pattern.

all keys on the keyboard can be accustomed to the LED lighting. Its a solid mechanical keyboard for the price of SGD$ 179.00

The TaoBao agent at GH was able to get some of these up for Pre-Order, for those of you looking for the LE Ducky Dragon.

Cheers,

Curious: For what application is a tenkeyless keyboard desirable?

In my work as a software developer for the sciences, it's desirable to have the number pad. I can't really imagine why one would seek out a keyboard without it. I can't see it hurting anything for playing games, either.

It just aesthetics? Some folks think it looks nicer on their desk without the number pad?

In my work as a software developer for the sciences, it's desirable to have the number pad. I can't really imagine why one would seek out a keyboard without it. I can't see it hurting anything for playing games, either.

It just aesthetics? Some folks think it looks nicer on their desk without the number pad?

I also think it's a matter of aesthetics and compactness rather than performing better for games... I tend to use the numpad alot, using in my passwords etc.. And i worked at a callcenter once dealth with phone numbers alot and am used to numpad. Can't do without it. So currently i ordered a ducky with the numpads to use for both for my translation works or gaming.. So it's a cherry brown MX.

It's mostly about space and aesthetics... Some people think it's way more comfortable to game with a TKL since you can have your mouse closer to the rest of the keyboard and your hands/arms aren't spaced apart as much... I guess it all depends on body shape/limb size too tho, I'm sure for some people it would make zero difference.

Yea, I use the numpad too much to get rid of it... For some reason TKL boards are usually more expensive than their 104 counter-parts, so it makes boards cheaper to find. Even on elitekeyboards.com... the 104 boards are nearly all cheaper than the TKL versions.

Works for me.

Looking for a good mechanical Cherry Blue or Brown keyboard that is also well suited for typing and desktop work not just games.

I have narrowed it down so far to: Rosewell and the new Cooler Master Trigger. For my use, the Cheery Red is a bit too sensitive because I do a lot of work and typing besides just some gaming. Otherwise, I would also consider the Corsair K90 keyboard too.

Would like to hear from those that own these keyboards and if there is anything else I may want to look at for mechanical keyboards that are good for both typing and some games. Should I give "Red" switches another chance?

Thanks for any thoughts.

I have to admit that I'm really enjoying my rosewill with mx reds. At first I really had my doubts and was making more typos than normal. I've only had the board for a couple of days but the more that I use it the less that I find myself missing the tactile bump of mx browns.

Looking for a good mechanical Cherry Blue or Brown keyboard that is also well suited for typing and desktop work not just games.

I have narrowed it down so far to: Rosewell and the new Cooler Master Trigger. For my use, the Cheery Red is a bit too sensitive because I do a lot of work and typing besides just some gaming. Otherwise, I would also consider the Corsair K90 keyboard too.

Would like to hear from those that own these keyboards and if there is anything else I may want to look at for mechanical keyboards that are good for both typing and some games. Should I give "Red" switches another chance?

Thanks for any thoughts.

I've got both the Corsair K90 and a Rosewill RK-9000 with browns, frankly I think they're both fantastic... The K90's priced a bit high considering it's not fully mechanical but they're often running rebates on it plus additional discounts at times... The Rosewill's fantastic for a no frills board, specially at $80-ish.

As far as the switches themselves, if you really crave solid feedback as you type I'd go with blues. I actually like reds a lot and I'm even getting used to typing without bottoming out despite the lack of feedback, but browns to me just feel much much closer to reds than blues... When I'm typing quickly I barely even feel the actuation bump on the Rosewill's browns.

Last edited:
Nobody told my WASD V1 has a lower-case profile (making the keys stick up more). But I finally picked the switch I like (Brown) and wanted a high quality board with co-star stablizers. They also have a nice integrated wrist-rest... although it's plastic, I like the matching/integrated style of it. Bought it without keys and stuck on my Ragnarok set.

But I'm so glad that it does have a lower profile (the keys stick up a bit higher). It just feels really awesome. I removed the case from my Das for a while and liked it better without that.

Finally done buying keyboards... hopefully.

I've got both the Corsair K90 and a Rosewill RK-9000 with browns, frankly I think they're both fantastic... The K90's priced a bit high considering it's not fully mechanical but they're often running rebates on it plus additional discounts at times... The Rosewill's fantastic for a no frills board, specially at $80-ish.

As far as the switches themselves, if you really crave solid feedback as you type I'd go with blues. I actually like reds a lot and I'm even getting used to typing without bottoming out despite the lack of feedback, but browns to me just feel much much closer to reds than blues... When I'm typing quickly I barely even feel the actuation bump on the Rosewill's browns.

I don't like mx blues. Well, I do kind of like pcb mounted mx blues but I really can't stand plate mounted blues.

I've been using MX browns for so long that the transition to reds was very smooth. I'm not sure which one will win out in the long run (probably browns) but I really do like both boards.

I also really like the costar stabilizers found on these rosewill keyboards. They really are just as good as a filco.

I was replying to TechJeff with regards to the switch type (quoted him now to make it clearer).

Personally, I don't mind blues for typing while working etc but I don't really like them for gaming and other stuff... So really the only way I'd opt for a keyboard with blues is if I had my own office at work. :p That type of thing highly subjective tho.

Just got my trigger, really solid feeling keyboard. I picked browns, and the mid-movement bump is really subtle. I don't even notice it unless I press carefully, but then again after an IT degree typed on an Eclipse II I probably am way to used to bottoming out. The keys feel really nice, not as rubbery as I feared. It's more like a mat paint finish. The rubber feet are generous, and the flip up legs also are rubber coated so the keyboard does not move at all after placement. The fee, by the way, don't lift much; I'd say about a half inch maximum at the very back edge. I think it's going to take a while to get used to the key shape and placement, it doesn't look different than the outgoing eclipse, but when I'm typing the keys feel sharper edged and closer together (because of the vertical travel?). Fashion geek notes that it blends into the desktop with my Sidewinder mouse and HAF 922 case...

All in all, amazing keyboard for $110!

Ergonomics. I don't like having the mouse way off to the side (or in front of the keyboard), even though I rarely use it except when browsing the web. I never enter numbers in large quantities. Btw, I also work as a developer/sysadmin.

So far, I'm very satisfied with my Filco Tenkeyless Brown and CM Quickfire Rapid Black.

Thanks for the guide, now I know what to invest in.

Best part of my PC build is the keyboard.

Interaction with your PC should be top priority.
A better keyboard equals a aetter user experience.

The same goes for the mouse and monitor.
A person can have the fastest PC, but with crap peripherals, all of the money they invested is wasted.

I just received my Rosewill RK-9000 with MX Reds. I have to admit that while the noise is going to take some time to get used to, I'm simply amazed at how effortless it is to type. I'm hoping to get my wife to try out a mechanical keyboard. I'm thinking that it will help her out at work (she does quite a bit of data entry). I'll probably end up getting one for work now :).

I just received my Rosewill RK-9000 with MX Reds. I have to admit that while the noise is going to take some time to get used to

1) You can always purchase o-rings to deaden the sound if it bothers you. Or buy a Topre Realforce.

2) Be glad you didn't get Blues ;)

Glad you are enjoying it, though!

With time you might get used to not bottoming out too, all noise happens when the key strikes the bottom plate... Right now you're typing with the force you're accustomed to needing on membrane boards, which also present most of their resistance right at the start.

Read: Or find $400 under a rock, burn it in offering, and go find some random membrane board.

That's certainly an option, but I'd rather pay $235 for a Realforce and not have a shit keyboard.

Where were you going with that, anyway?

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?pg=1&l=product_list&m=27

Some Vortex KBT Pures, KBT Races, and Pokers in stock. Should be a lot easier than trying to import them.

Looks like blue/black/red/browns available for Pures and Races, but only blacks for the Pokers. Orange/purple/white leds on Pures and green/white leds for the Races.

I want the Race with white leds and cherry reds but can't justify buying another mech so soon after buying a QFR.

Realforce are stupid overpriced glorified membrane boards that often get close to the $400 mark?

I've never understood the fascination concerning them. They are supposed to combine what's good about membrane keyboards and mechanicals into a new type of switch based on what many people say about them. I believe even Topre advertises the switch that way. The truth is membrane keyboards had only two advantages.
  • Lower cost compared to mechanicals
  • Spill resistant
And that's it. There is nothing good about the feel of a membrane keyboard. They show wear far sooner. Inconsistent key presses, spongy feel, and over time the keys tend to creak on them. The Topre Realforce keyboards lose both the cost effectiveness and spill resistant nature of the membrane and trade them for what? This is the part I don't get. You've created a mechanical switch that can't last as long as a pure mechanical switch because it does contain a rubber dome and I have to imagine that consistent key press feel will wear out sooner than that of pure mechanical switches due to the rubber dome.

Maybe I'm off base and someone can better explain it to me but based on my knowledge of how the Topre switches work and given the technology they are combining, I can't see them as anything but a step back from pure mechanical switches and membrane keyboards alike. It trades everything that makes either good at what they were designed for and gives back virtually nothing in return. I'd try one to see what all the fuss is about, but not when I can buy two mechanicals using the switch of my choice for what one of those Topre Realforce keyboards cost. I'm not frugal by any means but I'm not retarded either.

Still trying to decide on what to replace my black Model M13 with.

I love the feel of this thing so much, but I can't get replacement black keycaps for it anymore, and its almost in museum condition, so it feels wrong to continue to use and wear them...

I was thinking something a little bit more modern looking, but still with tactile keys, maybe backlit?

The Ducky Shine with Cherry MX Blue switches looks like a decent option, but I still have not had an opportunity to try it anywhere, and I don't want to buy something before test typing...

I've never understood the fascination concerning them. They are supposed to combine what's good about membrane keyboards and mechanicals into a new type of switch based on what many people say about them. I believe even Topre advertises the switch that way. The truth is membrane keyboards had only two advantages.
  • Lower cost compared to mechanicals
  • Spill resistant
And that's it. There is nothing good about the feel of a membrane keyboard. They show wear far sooner. Inconsistent key presses, spongy feel, and over time the keys tend to creak on them. The Topre Realforce keyboards lose both the cost effectiveness and spill resistant nature of the membrane and trade them for what? This is the part I don't get. You've created a mechanical switch that can't last as long as a pure mechanical switch because it does contain a rubber dome and I have to imagine that consistent key press feel will wear out sooner than that of pure mechanical switches due to the rubber dome.

Maybe I'm off base and someone can better explain it to me but based on my knowledge of how the Topre switches work and given the technology they are combining, I can't see them as anything but a step back from pure mechanical switches and membrane keyboards alike. It trades everything that makes either good at what they were designed for and gives back virtually nothing in return. I'd try one to see what all the fuss is about, but not when I can buy two mechanicals using the switch of my choice for what one of those Topre Realforce keyboards cost. I'm not frugal by any means but I'm not retarded either.
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Topre_switches

I understand your points. It's not certain how long the board will last. I tend to avoid anything with rubber domes in them.
If someone wants something similar to Topre switches, just buy a Cherry MX Red switches with rubber 40A rings.

Last edited:
Is there any way to reduce how far the keys go down before bottoming out?

Last edited:
For Cherry MX switches, O-rings from wasdkeyboards reduce total travel distance a little.

50A-R - 0.4mm reduction
40A-R - 0.4mm reduction
40A-L - 0.2mm reduction

If you don't care about softness, you could just get 3/16"ID o-rings from anywhere at a much cheaper price.

The travel distance for MX switches is 4mm and activation point is 2mm. You shouldn't try to reduce travel distance more than ~1.5mm (maybe even less) or keys may have problems properly registering. When I tried doubling up the 40A-R o-rings, keys wouldn't register sometimes.

I just got the rosewill deal from newegg with the blue switches and it is fantastic. The blue switches feel great but are a little loud. Maybe down the road I'll try out a red or black and take this one to work.

Definately worth the upgrade from a membrane keyboard.

Back