Mechanical Keyboard Guide

A question about the Trigger keyboard: is it an upgraded version of the Quickfire or a whole different board? I was in Fry's today and checked out a Quickfire, K90 and Steelseries 6v (or something like that). The weight and finish of the Quickfire seemed ok, the brown keys were nice and I am wondering if they feel the same on the Trigger.

I did like the raised keys and feel of the K90 keys as well as the media controls. I might end up getting whichever goes on sale first but am inclined towards the Trigger taking Techjeff's review into account.

The CM Trigger is a more enhanced keyboard than the Quickfire with the Macro keys. The design is a bit different in terms of the mold, but both are close to the same in how they feel and perform. If you don't need the programming for the Macro keys, then the Quickfire may be a better option. You also get NKRO in USB, where as the CM Trigger gives you the typical 6 USB standard. Not sure why they weren't on both.

Keep in mind though that Macro keys are useful for other things besides gaming. I can setup profiles for Photoshop and other software to have shortcuts. Otherwise, if you don't need Macros or backlighting, I would consider the Rosewill 9000.

Also, be sure you can return what you get. I know several I talked with don't like the Corsair K90 even for gaming due to their "floating" key design and spacing. You may like it, but if you are use to most others, it is quite different.

I have a membrane gaming keyboard that is starting to not register some keystrokes that this new one will be replacing. Having had them both, backlighting and macros are definitely things I want to still have on the new board. I use the macro keys much more outside of gaming than in-game; definitely a useful feature in a keyboard IMO.

Being my first mechanical, there is going to be 'getting used to it' period whatever I get. My fingers are fairly long and I had no issues with the spacing or layout on either board in the 20 or so minutes I was pretent-typing on them. It's almost a toss-up but the Trigger is new and not a lot of retailers have it ATM but Newegg has it and amazon does through an associate seller; they both have OK return policies. The K90 is pretty easy to find.

Where did you purchase your Trigger if you don't mind me asking?

I have a membrane gaming keyboard that is starting to not register some keystrokes that this new one will be replacing. Having had them both, backlighting and macros are definitely things I want to still have on the new board. I use the macro keys much more outside of gaming than in-game; definitely a useful feature in a keyboard IMO.

Being my first mechanical, there is going to be 'getting used to it' period whatever I get. My fingers are fairly long and I had no issues with the spacing or layout on either board in the 20 or so minutes I was pretent-typing on them. It's almost a toss-up but the Trigger is new and not a lot of retailers have it ATM but Newegg has it and amazon does through an associate seller; they both have OK return policies. The K90 is pretty easy to find.

Where did you purchase your Trigger if you don't mind me asking?

Not so much getting used to. More like trying to type without getting an erection

Never said it didn't exist.

I said this:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?23217-Ripster-Mythbusting-The-quot-McRip-Effect-quot-!

DAMN - GEEKHACK HAS BEEN INFESTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So here is a safe copy.
[h=2]Filco "Ping/Ring Problem".[/h]

[video=youtube;FODqOs5oPv0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FODqOs5oPv0&feature=player_embedded[/video]
Video courtesy of Redpill

[video=youtube;wNND9kaWP6s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNND9kaWP6s&feature=player_embedded[/video]
Video courtesy of The Solutor

This comes up EVERY MONTH OR TWO PEOPLE!!!!
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?27604-filco-shift-ping

Now think about this a second. Springs ping (try your bic pen). Lots of Mechanicals use Springs. Therefore many mechanical keyboards ping.

Ping Sound Samples:Filco Zero, IBM Buckling Spring Wooden Model, Kinesis Keypad
View attachment 29478
View attachment 29479
View attachment 29480

For more on Ping see my sig:

I mean REALLY people. What are the odds of TWO FILCO NINJA's in the row having the same manufacturing defect? I must have said this 100 times and STILL it didn't sink in. Source1.

Edit: 119 times in that thread. At least I was proven right.
View attachment 30368

And HERE'S ANOTHER noob saying the same thing for TWO FILCOS IN A ROW. What are the odds of that being a "manufacturing problem"? Source2.

Two LEOPOLDS in a row! What are the odds of that being a "manufacturing problem". Source 3.

Correlation or Causation? I call it another affirmation of the The McRip Effect.

I bump the ping poll 15 Dec 2011, 18:08.

This thread starts 16 Dec 2011, 02:53 - PING!

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?...or-MX-Cherries&p=472034&viewfull=1#post472034

Psychological effects are a key factor in The McRip Effect.
View attachment 35378View attachment 35379

ping hate. It's like having sex without making any noises.

Big News everyone.

GeekHack Forums is dead. (Good thing I didn't send my money in for those GBs just yet :p)

Not really. The site is going to be down for (allegedly no more than a few days), while the new backend is rewritten (c ya vbb 4). It was confirmed that the r00tw0rm team was after the domain name. It's definitely a misnomer to label GH as dead. All the major content was saved, but due to some poor choices in how backups were stored, all the attachments were lost.

Anyways, follow the Deskthority thread and check up on the site around the 4th.

Cheers,

Not really. The site is going to be down for (allegedly no more than a few days), while the new backend is rewritten (c ya vbb 4). It was confirmed that the r00tw0rm team was after the domain name. It's definitely a misnomer to label GH as dead. All the major content was saved, but due to some poor choices in how backups were stored, all the attachments were lost.

Anyways, follow the Deskthority thread and check up on the site around the 4th.

Cheers,

Email sent to me:

Dear WorldExclusive,

because there is no GeekHack anymore, please register at
Deskthority.org with the same user name as you had on GeekHack
and use the Deskthority.org pm system to order more key caps!

Please, contact me if you can't change your order, or if your
username is already registered by someone else!

Thanks!

7bit.

After all of the hacks, I rather not go back.
Desk Authority it is.

Ok... 7bit isn't a mod, for one thing. Second of all, yes it's true that the never ending GB of R4 is moving to DT, big deal...

Regardless, that does not translate into there being no more GH. It will come back, just not for a few days.

Cheers,

Just thought that I should mention, I did the o~ring mod (is it enough to even call a mod?) to my CM Storm w/ browns, and I noticed a couple of things: the black rings from WASD sound really is nice, more like a high quality car door thunk than the plastic on plastic noise that I was getting (I bottom out the keys when typing), and the long keys are using dummy switches for stabilizers instead of the springy wires. For a cheaper mechanical keyboard (with back-light!), I was really surprised. :D

Last edited:
Ok... 7bit isn't a mod, for one thing. Second of all, yes it's true that the never ending GB of R4 is moving to DT, big deal...

Regardless, that does not translate into there being no more GH. It will come back, just not for a few days.

Cheers,

I mocked up what I think it will look like.

From today's
R00TW0RM

Expiration Date: 2012-08-18 00:47:23

To Tomorrow's

KheNw.png

If I remember right, isnt the owner of GH (iMav) employed by McAfee?

Ah, I guess I have only seen the cherry wire things before, I thought the costar's looked similar. Thanks!

I meant the ones with the visible wire are Costar stabilizers, sorry. Cherry stabilizers actually do look similar underneath the dummy switch tho, and there's still a wire down there.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/rosewill-rk9000-review/4

Neither one's really better or worse, tho Costar ones are more common and they tend to feel closer to the regular keys without stabilizers. Cherry stabilizers can feel slightly different or dampened (which you'd enjoy anyway since you're using o-rings) but can also be more durable or easier to deal with when replacing key caps.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038809330&postcount=27

Last edited:
I settled on a pair If keyboards. The Filco Ninja Tactile Click Cherry Blue Full Keyboard and the Filco Ninja Soft Linear Cherry Red TenKeyLess Keyboard. Blues for general/numberpad use and reds for gaming. The only thing I wish for is a back lite Filco someday.

Just a heads-up, the K90 is $90 ($20 MIR and FS). The Storm is on amazon (sold directly) for $120.

I'm going to have to pick one today, my gaming keyboard (membrane) died and I'm using a 710 wirelss and like it not at all.

WHAT HAPPEN TO GEEK HACK!!!!!!????!!!111111

Was contemplating making a switch from Filco brown to Filco blue due to the massive amount of typos I have been creating lately with my laser engraved blank pbt keycaps, hit up GH and the site is empty website/adspace-city!!!?

WHAT HAPPEN TO GEEK HACK!!!!!!????!!!111111

Was contemplating making a switch from Filco brown to Filco blue due to the massive amount of typos I have been creating lately with my laser engraved blank pbt keycaps, hit up GH and the site is empty website/adspace-city!!!?

I blame Ripster.

OH yeah, I got my fiance hooked on MX blues; she's been using my leopold and "typing on the other boards we have around sucks" now hahahaha.

Ah just got the PM. I am a little bit partial to Filco and I do like Leopold - so will have to contemplate on it.

It's built by the same OEM as Filco. Apart from the somewhat annoying branding, it's the same board. I also own a Leopold and the build quality is equivalent.

Ok silent-circuit you win. Now that GH is out of commission I'm making crazy decisions!

Doesn't Filco use Costar stabilizers and Leopold use Cherry stabilizers? Thought I read that somewhere, I'm not particularly partial to either tho, just wondering.

Just ordered a Vortex KBT Pure Limited Edition w/ red switches and orange LEDs from mechanicalkeyboards.com.

My first mech keyboard since I was a kid and didn't know to appreciate them. It'll be a learning experience typing on it due to the size and key sensitivity but I'm basically really psyched right now.

I thought it was strange that geekhack was down, didn't realize they had such a sordid history of downtime-related stories. Seems like a really neat online community too. :/

Thinking of getting a Ducky 1008 with MX Red switches.

I'm doing a lot of gaming recently (SC2 mostly) but I don't want something that's difficult to type on.

I don't want Blues because I don't want noisy.

Sway me in favor of Blacks or Browns anyone? Or are the Reds good?

Edit: I come from the free A4tech keyboard that came when I built the PC and I actually don't have a problem with them. Just want something new :)

I enjoy typing with reds, I've even gotten used to typing without bottoming out constantly. Personally I've got a Corsair with reds and a Rosewill with browns and I dont really notice the tactile bump on browns enough to feel that it helps me at all. In fact, I barely notice it at all while typing quickly.

Browns are much closer to reds than blues IMO, even tho everyone describes them as the so called middle ground. I'm not sure I'd enjoy the higher pressure required by blacks but I've yet to try them.

Thing is, this is all very subjective, someone that's uswd browns for a while (or blues) is probably much mkre receptive to the tactile bump on them. Everyone has different habits and strength, you're gonna get gons of different answers to that kinda question but no definitive answer. Your best bet is just trying a couple of switch types yourself.

I enjoy typing with reds, I've even gotten used to typing without bottoming out constantly. Personally I've got a Corsair with reds and a Rosewill with browns and I dont really notice the tactile bump on browns enough to feel that it helps me at all. In fact, I barely notice it at all while typing quickly.

Browns are much closer to reds than blues IMO, even tho everyone describes them as the so called middle ground. I'm not sure I'd enjoy the higher pressure required by blacks but I've yet to try them.

Thing is, this is all very subjective, someone that's uswd browns for a while (or blues) is probably much mkre receptive to the tactile bump on them. Everyone has different habits and strength, you're gonna get gons of different answers to that kinda question but no definitive answer. Your best bet is just trying a couple of switch types yourself.

Impulse and I agree once again. :)

I know I've said it before in this thread, but Browns were my favorite for a while...until I became retarded and purchased my Realforce. But I had always been curious about Reds (they are MUCH more common/available now than they were 1-2 years ago) so the newest kid on the block for me is a Leopold with Reds and I haven't switched off of it since I've had it. I don't know why, really. Like Impulse and others, I find typing (and gaming) with the Reds to be an enjoyable experience but that's not really saying much because I enjoy typing with all of the switches I've used...except for the Alps switches in the ABS M1 (shudder). The Reds are similar to the Browns in terms of force required, and yeah the tactile bump isn't very pronounced. It's there, but I tended to notice it more when pressing the keys slowly and feeling for it. Not so much when typing fast. It did kind of help in games though, because you could "preload" the key by pressing it until you felt that small bit of resistance where the actuation point was and then you knew you were at the brink whereas with Reds the actuation point is kind of a guessing game at first until you get used to them and learn the point during their travel that they register a key press.

I've shied away from the stiffer keys such as Blacks and Clears because I too am not sure I'd like the higher pressure. I know some love them and say they prevent accidental key presses, but I've not had that issue with Reds or Browns after getting used to them and the reports of finger fatigue with Blacks were one reason I've skipped them. I would definitely like to take one for a test drive just to see for myself, but then again I'm happy with the 5 mechanical boards that I already have and don't really need an excuse/reason to buy another. :p

Back